Saphire EDGE HD3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Tired doing a search on this item and nothing came up.

This Little box looks neat. The question is what can it run.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/edge/

I like the form factor and how slim it is. Just want to know about what it can do.

3d playback, high bitrate blu-ray playback etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the thread necro, but I didn't see any other threads on this device.

I purchased one two days ago to replace my Dlink Boxeebox. I put Win7 Pro on it and xbmc. Loving it so far. I really like xbmc vs boxee and the added customizability that comes with a DIY HTPC solution.

Hardware wise this little box packs a decent enough punch for its pint size. It can handle 1080p playback easily enough with the cpu never really going above 30 percent or so. FF and RW through large 1080p files are no problem and no stuttering or buffering was noticed. The only complaints and/or caveats I have would be:

A fairly closed box solution. I spent a fair bit of time figuring out how to get at the insides with a brand new ADATA S510 ( 120 GB SSD) in hand ready to swap out the crappy WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB that comes with it, only to be defeated and learn that the hard drive ( even once you manged to get inside the case) is not a user replaceable part. There is no way you can get at the side screw on the caddy and the four min-mini-mini screws holding the caddy to the mobo seem to stuck to some sort of head spread wrapper or something--I wasn't about to test just how much effort would be required to remove it in the event that I broke something and bricked the device on day two.

The other issue, and this could be the killer for some folks, is that the thermal design is not the best I have seen. There is almost no room at all for air flow inside the device resulting in constant fan spinning at times. I have noticed while monitoring with Everest ( or Aida its called now I guess) that the core temps never rise far above 63 C or so, and it idles at 54C, so not really sure why the fan is freaking out as often as it does. It's not as bad as that maybe sounds. It will spin down and settle quickly enough but I have noticed where it will spin up while browsing a movie collection and then once the movie is selected, it spins down and stays quiet. I have seen where some people have used the bios or speedfan to tweak the fan settings and have resulted in a quieter box. I'm definitely going to check that out.

So, in a nutshell, and only after a couple of days, it's a capable box for media center. Don't expect too much more from it though, but it will handle your media ( and emulators for retro gaming), and some very basic gaming with no issues. The fan is a bit loud but that may be fixable by playing with the fan settings, and nothing in it seems upgradeable.

It is currently on sale at Canada Computers for $329.00 A decent enough value I think if you don't have a device lying around that you can convert to an htpc.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page