post #61 of 67 Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Intel IGP HD2000/3000 can't be used for cable channels that are compressed with H.264 and requires DRM copy-protection. The driver just poops out when you try those channels. Luckily, such channels only exist in a few Cox markets with special Plus packages. But H.264 compressed (instead of MPEG2) cable channels sure will pop up more in the future when cable providers seek to free up more bandwidth. That's the only drawback I encountered with Intel IGPs so far.

This will change... and possibly soon. The broadcast companies are lobbying very hard to require copy-protection on ALL transmitted TV material. They are even pushing it for OTA. I pray it does not, but they are trying to kill OTA in the US. I refuse to pay for cable TV (prices are 5 to 10x what they should be) so I'll resort to 100% "Internet DVR" if they get their way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheiskel View Post

It seems to me that the differences between amd,nvidia and intel post processing capabilities boil down to what kind of content is to be viewed. The anand article indicates that madvr pushes even hd4000 for some kinds of content. It sheds little light on the impact of using intel,amd or nvidia under media center!
What is not clear is what differences exist between hd2000,3000 and hd 4000 for playback of 1080i content through media center? Ceton and silicondust cable card tuners are widely used and require media center. In the U.S. we have 720p and 1080i for or broadcast and cable tv. If someone could focus on how well the hd4000 in media center handles deinterlacing 1080i vs. Amd and nvidia it could shed some light on how well it handles content that is widely viewed by htpc users.

I have not used Intel HD3000 or HD4000 for deinterlacing but here's some AMD & NVidia info..

AMD HD6450: I have done a lot with the AMD HD6450. Tested all sorts of material on it on the highest setting (Vector-Adaptive). It works VERY well for everything except OTA 1080i, which it drops frames. Just not quite powerful enough. From reading many user posts and reviews it seems that the HD6570 and higher handles 1080i perfectly.

NVidia: I would do more testing with my current NVidia 880M but based on my research (many web searches and this article) NVidia does not allow any control except on/off for Inverse Telecine . The posts/articles I have read says NVidia does Motion-Adaptive, which is not as good as Vector-Adaptive. IMO it sucks NVidia allows no control... it makes it harder (sometimes impossible) to tweak to optimal settings and do comparisons. AMD gives you total control and I've played with the AMD settings... you can see a huge difference on different materials depending on what you choose. Though, the de-interacing with the card I have 880M (equal to the ) does a good job from what I can tell... just falls down in other area of PQ when dealing with scaling, etc. And my 880M has Feature Set C which has all the latest decoding features from NVidia, except 4k. Ref 1 Ref 2

Here's a good techie (non-pro) review and discussion on GTS450 vs HD5670 vs HD3000 ... lots of good technical discussions and comparisons. NVidia does well here but they do note HD3000 was OK too.
... this is a videophile thread... it is about getting the 'best' quality. Though, if you have a display smaller than 50-55" you are not likely going to notice much difference no matter which of the GPUs we are talking about.

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Just completed some Intel iGPU 1080i testing.

The results are quite interesting --- at least to me.

I will post a new thread soon not to derail this one.

Thread posted: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing
post #63 of 67 Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

This will change... and possibly soon. The broadcast companies are lobbying very hard to require copy-protection on ALL transmitted TV material. They are even pushing it for OTA. I pray it does not, but they are trying to kill OTA in the US. I refuse to pay for cable TV (prices are 5 to 10x what they should be) so I'll resort to 100% "Internet DVR" if they get their way.

Its getting really hard to feel like you should do the right thing when these companies keep buying legislators off to pass laws to force consumers to buy their services. This type of thing really pisses me off, the worst example was where the ISP's bought off enough state legislators to ban municipal broadband and then didn't even provide their own service in those communities. I am using OTA instead of direct TV because of the encryption on direct tv, as I move recorded shows over to my laptop to watch on the road. So direct tv's stupid policies cost them at least one customer at figure $60-80 a month.

PS Corporations are not people
post #64 of 67 Old 06-17-2012, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Its getting really hard to feel like you should do the right thing when these companies keep buying legislators off to pass laws to force consumers to buy their services. This type of thing really pisses me off, the worst example was where the ISP's bought off enough state legislators to ban municipal broadband and then didn't even provide their own service in those communities. I am using OTA instead of direct TV because of the encryption on direct tv, as I move recorded shows over to my laptop to watch on the road. So direct tv's stupid policies cost them at least one customer at figure $60-80 a month.
PS Corporations are not people

I've been saying for years - Government & big business are full of greed & corruption.

Mike from Illinois, where our last 2 governors are in prison.
post #65 of 67 Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

AMD HD6450: I have done a lot with the AMD HD6450. Tested all sorts of material on it on the highest setting (Vector-Adaptive). It works VERY well for everything except OTA 1080i, which it drops frames. Just not quite powerful enough. From reading many user posts and reviews it seems that the HD6570 and higher handles 1080i perfectly.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I have an ATI 5450 when is even lower end than your card, and it does vector adaptive deinterlacing absolutely flawless. If you are seeing dropped frames are you sure it's not because of the 29/59hz bug? This problem only happens to me with a few shows on CBS that are sent in 1080i with the progressive flag on, which confuses the graphics card and causes stuttering. It's not a problem with the card but rather a problem with how the stream is sent and interpreted by Media Center. Microsoft has said they have no plans to fix the issue. Media Center development is pretty much dead anyways.

http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/71.aspx

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/t/102907.aspx?PageIndex=1
post #66 of 67 Old 06-18-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389

For Vector Adaptive deinterlacing 1080i60 with HD 5450/6450, you have to either disable most of video post-processors in CCC > Video > Quality or enable "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" (that automatically disables post-processors). This is because these GPU do not have enough shader units to do deinterlacing and other post-processing tasks simultaneously. HD 6570 or higher is recommended if you are concerned with this.

post #67 of 67 Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I disable all post processing as does Livin. As I said I have no problem with 1080i besides the 29/59 bug that is not an issue with the graphics card itself and has nothing to do with the amount of shader units.
Reply Home Theater Computers