Clone/Restore from one SSD to one of the Partition of another SSD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am trying to recover a boot drive, perfect working ORIGINAL SSD, using Arconis True Image 2011 and after 3 very carefully attempts, the NEW SSD still can't boot and indicate below error message . When I recover, I choose the correct backed up ATI file and validate before proceed.

I think my problem is while restoring a 95GB SSD (1 partition) to just one of the 98GB partition of another SSD, some boot order screws up and not sure the correct boot order... In any case, I always use Copywipe and few other copy programs but none of them can copy/restore something ONLY to a dedicated partition of another drive. They all can clone one whole drive to another whole drive, but that is not what I want.

Any idea how can I just clone from 1 SSD to 1 partition only of another SSD?

Your help are greatly appreciated here. Thank you!

ORIGINAL: OCZ PCI-E Revodrive X2 100GB (no partition)
NEW: OCZ PCI-E Revodrive 3 120GB (75GB 1st partition and 25GB 2nd partition)

ERROR MESSAGE:
File \\Boot\\BCD
Status 0xc000000f
Info: An Error occupied....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Windows? Have you tried booting from a Windows 7/8 dvd and selecting the repair option?

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I long for the simplicity of managing images/cloning/etc of the Win XP days with Acronis.

Windows 7 makes things a lot more difficult here. You may not be able to do it with one partition transfer, for instance.

These guides have helped me a lot. Follow them to the "T," and you should see success:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/29618

Also...as mentioned, running the Windows Install Disk and choosing "Repair" can help get you booted. Notice that this guide will tell you to put the new SSD in the target computer on the intended final SATA port, and do the restore from the CD Rescue. If I try to do a restore from another computer to the attached SSD via usb, then I will definitely have to run the Windows Repair to get the target computer booted with SSD.

Just some thoughts.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

I am trying to recover a boot drive, perfect working ORIGINAL SSD, using Arconis True Image 2011 and after 3 very carefully attempts, the NEW SSD still can't boot and indicate below error message . When I recover, I choose the correct backed up ATI file and validate before proceed.

I think my problem is while restoring a 95GB SSD (1 partition) to just one of the 98GB partition of another SSD, some boot order screws up and not sure the correct boot order... In any case, I always use Copywipe and few other copy programs but none of them can copy/restore something ONLY to a dedicated partition of another drive. They all can clone one whole drive to another whole drive, but that is not what I want.

ERROR MESSAGE:
File \\Boot\\BCD
Status 0xc000000f

You might want to take a look at the EASEUS partition program. It's free and it appears to be able to do what you want: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
post #5 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you all so far for the wonderful suggestions.

Now, I am successful recovered and my new SSD is able to boot up without problem now using Arconis True Image.

FYI - the reason I want to clone another SSD is, I want to have a 100% Plug-N-Play ready SSD in an event that my original SSD fails. Since this HTPC's SSD is my primary household's HD DVR as I am using MS Media Center to record all my programming. Being said, MS is using their own DRM, PlayReady, and long story short, after recover completed, I shut down the HTPC, remove the original SSD and boot up the recovered SSD, all perfect except when I hit the play button, none of the recordings are playing and they all saying that Contents are Copy Prohibited and can't play in any other computer error message....

Before back up, I have everything selected such as MBR and disk signature in the source disk... So what am I missing here? Any way I can have a 100% clone and my new SSD will be able to use just like the original SSD?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

ERROR MESSAGE:
File \\Boot\\BCD
Status 0xc000000f

Do you have the bit-by-bit selected in Acronis? Won't this work if you don't select bit-by-bit? I haven't tried doing what you're trying to do, but I'm surprised by the difficulty in getting Acronis to do it.

By the way, MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition is another good free partition management tool.

I wonder if you could do the full install to the 2nd SSD as a single partition and afterwards shrink the OS partition and install the 2nd partition. I also haven't tried using one of these partition managers to change the parition size or add a partition to an SSD rather than to a HD.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Do you have the bit-by-bit selected in Acronis? Won't this work if you don't select bit-by-bit? I haven't tried doing what you're trying to do, but I'm surprised by the difficulty in getting Acronis to do it.

By the way, MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition is another good free partition management tool.

I wonder if you could do the full install to the 2nd SSD as a single partition and afterwards shrink the OS partition and install the 2nd partition. I also haven't tried using one of these partition managers to change the parition size or add a partition to an SSD rather than to a HD.

Unless I am missing something in ATI, there is no where I can select bit-to-bit at all. If ATI is not a bit-to-bit clone program, I will be extremely surprise!!!

The reason I am doing this is, when I started the fresh install W7 with this SSD a while ago, PCI-E, I did not leave any unallocated space to do garbage collection (since it is PCI-E SSD instead of SATA SSD, W7 does not support TRIM). As a result I want to start to have 2 partitions in this new SSD and have 2nd unallocated partition to serve as a garbage collection. But now, the result is no good and it is actually defeat my purpose and none of the Recorded programs are watchable.

For your suggestion, I am using Copywipe and I know it is a free bit-to-bit clone program. I am going to clone it with no partition and see. Will report back in few hours.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No dice and it is NOT watchable. Wow... this PlayReady is one piece of work! Thank you MS
post #9 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Unless I am missing something in ATI, there is no where I can select bit-to-bit at all. If ATI is not a bit-to-bit clone program, I will be extremely surprise!!!

The reason I am doing this is, when I started the fresh install W7 with this SSD a while ago, PCI-E, I did not leave any unallocated space to do garbage collection (since it is PCI-E SSD instead of SATA SSD, W7 does not support TRIM). As a result I want to start to have 2 partitions in this new SSD and have 2nd unallocated partition to serve as a garbage collection. But now, the result is no good and it is actually defeat my purpose and none of the Recorded programs are watchable.

For your suggestion, I am using Copywipe and I know it is a free bit-to-bit clone program. I am going to clone it with no partition and see. Will report back in few hours.

Yeah, you're missing something because you can definitely do a bit copy with Acronis. I never do because I'm usually cloning a larger partition to a smaller one and don't bother messing with resizing it first, but I know it does bit copies and I was just reading more about that today in connection with trying to clone an encrypted disk.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Yeah, you're missing something because you can definitely do a bit copy with Acronis. I never do because I'm usually cloning a larger partition to a smaller one and don't bother messing with resizing it first, but I know it does bit copies and I was just reading more about that today in connection with trying to clone an encrypted disk.

The test I just did, without any sizing (one partition to another partition) was fail. I was using CopyWipe and it should be bit clone. I think even bit copy somehow MS might registering the hardware and able to detect I am using different SSD
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page