post #91 of 181 Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

My Samsung HLS6187W now has 4 white dots instead of 2.

Still deciding and appreciate all the input and valuable opinions thus far.

I think you should avoid reading into so-called technical specs that are really just marketing fluff. There's an enormous amount of competition in the TV market and manufacturers are trying to come up with anything to draw customers (don't even get me started in the 120/240 hz dribble). Come to think of it, I really can't think of any technical spec that is really worth looking into other than size. Just decide what size you want and what budget you have and read reviews to determine which TV has the best value. I've already given my two cents (the Pansonict ST/GT/VT50 line), but check out the Samsungs and Sonys as well. Unfortunately, I don't think those manufacturers are going to give you a great value this time around, but I could be wrong.

Edit: nm, I thought you were talking about something else. My comment still holds though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 181 Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

I agree. That's similar to how I use XBMC.

To me it comes down to 60" vs 65".

I am a simple man. I like a bigger TV which is why I am leaning toward the Panasonic.

Well there is the Plasma and LCD forums here, but that will suck away a week or two of your life.

My experience is like the other poster. I have 1:1 enabled which disables the pixel orbiter. I just use my TV and not worry about it. After a few years I hope it gets burn-in so I have a reason to upgrade, but on my last set I just had to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. It worked great for the years that I owned it and found a new home with the help of craigslist.

If you want to wall mount the thing check out monoprice for some cheap mounts.

post #93 of 181 Old 06-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I agree. That's similar to how I use XBMC.

To me it comes down to 60" vs 65".

I am a simple man. I like a bigger TV which is why I am leaning toward the Panasonic.

My vote goes to a Panasonic Plasma, I have a TC-P50ST30 and I'm sure newer models are even better. I do get some occasional burn in, but it hardly lasts more then a few minutes, even if I leave the screen paused while I grab a snack. I use the mediacenter photo slideshow to prevent any real burn-in and have not hade any problems with things like the static menus, wii startup screen etc. The bezels on new plasmas are huge improvement over old ones, infact my previous tv (sanyo 32lcd originally $700 LOL) was thicker then the ST30. But, they do put off a fair amount of heat.

The picture quality on the Panasonic plasmas, at least from what I have seen, is stunning for the price. Even in a bright room, once it was burnt in and I adjusted all the settings as according to suggestions on this forum, it looks surreal.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

DIY Speaker Cables
http://www.seancoyne.org

post #94 of 181 Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyne88 View Post

My vote goes to a Panasonic Plasma, I have a TC-P50ST30 and I'm sure newer models are even better. I do get some occasional burn in, but it hardly lasts more then a few minutes, even if I leave the screen paused while I grab a snack. I use the mediacenter photo slideshow to prevent any real burn-in and have not hade any problems with things like the static menus, wii startup screen etc. The bezels on new plasmas are huge improvement over old ones, infact my previous tv (sanyo 32lcd originally $700 LOL) was thicker then the ST30. But, they do put off a fair amount of heat.

The picture quality on the Panasonic plasmas, at least from what I have seen, is stunning for the price. Even in a bright room, once it was burnt in and I adjusted all the settings as according to suggestions on this forum, it looks surreal.

I second this opinion. I have the same TV. 50ST30. This is my second panny plasma. Never liked the fake over bright look of an lcd. Yes it will pop in the store but in the home enviroment in looks bad imo. But in the home is where plasmas shine.
post #95 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyne88 View Post

My vote goes to a Panasonic Plasma, I have a TC-P50ST30 and I'm sure newer models are even better. I do get some occasional burn in, but it hardly lasts more then a few minutes, even if I leave the screen paused while I grab a snack

You may get occasional image retention, but there is no such thing as temporary burn in. Once burnt in it is there forever. Burn in is very unlikely.

As long as you don't sit within six inches of any of these sets I think you will be fine.

post #96 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:

Any thoughts on something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30560E8....html?tp=35945

(BTW I don't buy from Crutchfield but love their pictures)

I love the almost non-existent bezel.

That is a super bad ass TV dude.

Nothing wrong with that choice.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #97 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That is a super bad ass TV dude.

Nothing wrong with that choice.

I agree 100%. Why would anyone building computers with the latest tech, Ivy Bridge. Buy a Plasma TV dated tech and famous for the waterfall effect.
post #98 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati 1098 View Post

I agree 100%. Why would anyone building computers with the latest tech, Ivy Bridge. Buy a Plasma TV dated tech and famous for the waterfall effect.

Because LCD's are so cutting edge, right? Sorry, this thread has just gotten too hilarious. Also, "plasma TV waterfall effect" brings up nothing on google. No one has any idea what you're talking about.
post #99 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Plasma has a better picture.

Burn in is real- but it's way overblown.

I have used a HTPC on my plasma for 2 years. It's a first generation Hitachi I bought from Circuit City. They been out of business for years.

No issues on my plasma.

Plasma has better blacks and more accurate picture. It's more film like to me and just better.

LED and LCD has more POP and overblown... very bright over colored and over contrasted--- Might look better in a retail store under those bright lights but not at home with the lights off.

But- many of the LCD and LED TV's are cutting edge in other areas- and they do have better color than a plasma in general. They make sense for a bright room. And- they don't burn in ever.

Both are good.

Pick your poison.

I did. I chose a DLP front projector.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #100 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Dude you usked for help! Get an LCD if you want bright colours!
post #101 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceo View Post

Dude you usked for help! Get an LCD if you want bright colours!

Bottom line is any TV today is a nice TV and I doubt once you get it home you would ever tell the difference.

Only the mental detail oriented AVS types that are ultra anal would care at all.

99% of the people would simply love a new TV.

If Assassin had a DLP from years back... An LED LCD or PLASMA in the same screen size or bigger is going to make him very happy.

Today's TV is better than a TV from 5 years ago.

And- I don't get the feeling Assassin is bargian hunting on the lowest end product.

He linked a few decent products.

There is little chance we will be disappointed with what he gets.

-

post #102 of 181 Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You may get occasional image retention, but there is no such thing as temporary burn in. Once burnt in it is there forever. Burn in is very unlikely.

As long as you don't sit within six inches of any of these sets I think you will be fine.

I should have worder that better, I meant what you said

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

DIY Speaker Cables
http://www.seancoyne.org

post #103 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Please, whatever you do, don't get an lcd, you will be sorry. They look OK in the store because they are super bright, but they don't look as good as a plasma in a home viewing environment. I've had many tvs over the years, both plasma and lcd, but was never happy with any lcd, and either returned them or sold them to friends/family. There is no decent lcd out there besides the Sharp Elite which costs 5k for the 60" and 8k for the 70" model. The correct answer to your question is Panasonic plasma. You just have to decide on the size and if the difference between the ST and VT is worth the extra money. 65VT50 just won best tv of 2012 at the HDTV shootout. This is an event every year where the top calibrators in the world and industry insiders get together to go over and compare every feature of a tv and then choose the best one. Yes, even the legendary D-Nice of AVS fame is there calibrating the tvs and giving his opinions. I'm a bit of a tv nerd and watched the entire presentation live. However, I would save the money and get the 65ST50 as it is an incredible tv and 95% as good as the VT. You can get the 65" ST50 for around 2k. If you've got the money to blow a 65VT50 will run just over 3k. The longer you wait, the cheaper the tv gets, that's how it's always been. New 2012 models just came out. Best time to buy is Nov-Feb. Just a few months ago you could get a closeout 2011 model 65ST30 for $1299 from Frys.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...lity-shootout/

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDTVShootout

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35118302.html
post #104 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Qaq

Liked: 12
I'm waiting for VT50 in my place to buy one. Never owned plasma before. Still wonder though how is VT50 good in chroma 4:4:4 and RGB input (since my HTPC has 4:4:4 RGB 0-255 output). Did not find anything about chroma 4:4:4 and RGB in shootouts. Another questions are 24 and 50 fps material playback (in PC mode of course). I've heard that 24@96 mode isn't good and 50Hz input has issues also.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #105 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:

My Samsung HLS6187W now has 4 white dots instead of 2.

Still deciding and appreciate all the input and valuable opinions thus far.

Have you tried calling Samsung to see if they will cover the DLP chip replacement? They did extended the warranty for that issue, but it may have expired by now. Give them a call, you have nothing to lose. If they fix it maybe you could sell it.

1-800-SAMSUNG
post #106 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohip View Post

Have you tried calling Samsung to see if they will cover the DLP chip replacement? They did extended the warranty for that issue, but it may have expired by now. Give them a call, you have nothing to lose. If they fix it maybe you could sell it.

1-800-SAMSUNG

I have already had it repaired once. I will try again though.
post #107 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
i had a kuro 111. had to sell it due to moving and job loss.
i now have a sony 40" 523 because of the price.
while the 523 will hold me over, i wish i still had the kuro.

what it boils down to, if you can control the lighting, plasma. if you have lots of windows led (althought the kuro was good enough for me in the day with a big side window as well).

i turned down a lot of the settings on the sony. brightness and saturation did come down from default as now the day lighting is not too bright and keep it dim watching movies in the evening.

with the new plasmas being much more energy efficient and thinner/lighter, i wouldnt hesitate on the vt50. if lcd, i would have gone sony 929 or sharp elite (which I dont think is worth the price over the 929.)

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #108 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:

A buddy owns a LG and absolutely hates the "trumotion" setting as it actually makes a trail behind standard HD TV on Directv.

Is there any way to turn this off?

Quote:

A buddy owns a LG and absolutely hates the "trumotion" setting as it actually makes a trail behind standard HD TV on Directv.

Is there any way to turn this off?

Yes, you can and SHOULD turn it off - pass that along to your buddy and have him lookup the TV in the HDTV owners thread. I have the LG 55LW5600 and taking suggestions from the owners in the LG HDTV thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=netflix), this is the first thing you turn off. It's a great TV, I use it for my HTPC bluray, BD3d, gaming, and regular cable HDTV viewing along with 3d content. The passive glasses are lightweight and comfortable. The picture brightness is awesome - we have it in a very bright room that can't be darkened during the day (skylights). I love the Netflix app that's builtin as I can get DD sound out to my receiver over HDMI audio return channel. Again, if you tweak the settings to tone down the LED dimming to minimize flashlighting and you turn off trumotion, you're in great shape with this HDTV line.
post #109 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM

+1 for the Panasonic Plasma.

I worked for years in the field of digital imaging and the Panasonic just looked the best to me, most natural picture. Truly subjective on my part.

Interesting to see most say the same thing reading this thread, before I read this I would have guessed everyone would be recommending the LED/LCD sets.
post #110 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 17
I own one of Panasonics lower end plasmas but I got a great deal on a 50" on Cyber Monday a few years back. It was like 60% off. I love the thing. Everytime I look at my FILs LCD, it drives me nuts. Colors just look off and if we watch a movie, the blacks are awful.

My next TV purchase will be another Panasonic plasma or a projector.
post #111 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 09:37 AM

I still own a 32" crt HDTV. It heavy and needs serving but I love its picture. Thinking about getting it worked on over getting a LCD replacement.
post #112 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have already had it repaired once. I will try again though.

BOOO .... booooo !

Damn , I thought we were going to get to spend your hard earned money
post #113 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

I still own a 32" crt HDTV. It heavy and needs serving but I love its picture. Thinking about getting it worked on over getting a LCD replacement.

As someone who owned and loved CRTs, I can tell you that plasmas mimic CRT picture qualities much better than LCDs. With 180 degree viewing angles, even uniformity, fast response rates, deep black levels, and high contrast, modern plasmas actually look very similar to the best CRTs made and provide a very natural looking image. I think it's a mistake to try to repair an old CRT. Save up your money and get a nice big plasma. You won't regret it.
post #114 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

i almost cried when i heard SED would be killed off before even getting a chance. would have loved to see what it could have done.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #115 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Please, whatever you do, don't get an lcd, you will be sorry....The correct answer to your question is Panasonic plasma. You just have to decide on the size and if the difference between the ST and VT is worth the extra money. 65VT50 just won best tv of 2012 at the HDTV shootout....However, I would save the money and get the 65ST50 as it is an incredible tv and 95% as good as the VT. You can get the 65" ST50 for around 2k. If you've got the money to blow a 65VT50 will run just over 3k.

Alright. Help me decide which is the best for HTPC and HDTV use. I really appreciate the input and opinions.

post #116 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

If you have the money and may get it calibrated eventually by a pro, i would go VT. i cant say the ST would be worth the savings, only you can decide. Again, this is from a guy that waited and researched and spent 4k on his first big screen which was the kuro elite.

if you have any interest, youtube videos of the 2012 hdtv shoot out are on the value electronics webpage. Right of the embedded video are links to the 16 shootout segments.

post #117 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright. Help me decide which is the best for HTPC and HDTV use. I really appreciate the input and opinions.

The picture quality between the gt and st is virtually identical from what I've heard. Honestly, I don't see the point of the gt. It does have slightly more attractive aesthetics (metal instead of plastic rim) and a faster dual core processor for the smart TV functions (although i haven't found the st50 to be slow). The gt and vt do offer rgb 4:4:4 though and the st50 does not. I'm not really sure what advantage that gives though.

The vt50 offers improved black levels over the other two. IMO, get the st50 if you want a good value, and get the vt50 if you want the absolute best.
post #118 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 PM

I have to agree with the above poster. The GT just doesn't offer much that I would use over the ST. So for me it would be between the VT and ST and I'd probably go with the ST if it were my money. If I'm spending your money, I'm going with the VT.
post #119 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

speaking of plasma heat..

We have a 2011 Panasonic Plasma and it COOKS! Our livingroom was 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. We tried turning down the brightness to minimum, no post processing, etc. and it still was way too hot. We gave up and put the TV in the bedroom.

We went to Sams Club and bought a XVT full array LED Vizio. The picture, in my eyes, is just as good as our plasma without ANY heat. I couldn't leave my hand on the back of the plasma for more then 10 seconds whereas the LED I just barely feel a slight warmth.

What model did you have? My 2011 55st30 isnt very hot....and my "old" 2011 46" C was even less hot (highly doubt lcd is noticeably cooler than this set).
post #120 of 181 Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
1) Sorry to hear about your 6187. My 7178 died last year, and I just wasn't in the mood to go through fixing it. Got the 70-inch 3D LED Sharp and have been quite happy.

2) That being said, 3 of my 4 other large screen LED's are Samsungs. I'd recommend them without reservation.

3) My experience w/ plasmas has been less-than-fully-positive. I personally wouldn't recommend them.

4) Given your HTPC business, I'd recommend getting 3D capability.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page