Should I buy a Seagate external HD and crack it open, in order to harvest the HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Greetings,

I need to purchase a new hard drive to add to my HTPC. I would really prefer to add an internal HD to my computer, than use an external HD. I have 2 spots left in my HTPC that I can fill with internal HDs. I have previously been buying only Samsung 2TB internal HDs. I love them. I haven't had a single one die on me. Unfortunately, Samsung has been absorbed into Seagate. So even if I buy the same Samsung 2TB, I'm really buying a Seagate. Plus, I want to start buying either 3TB or 4TB hard drives instead. So I really have no choice but to try out either Seagate or Western Digital.

I have been looking at 4TB hard drives, and the prices are still terrible. The best price I can get is a Hitachi 4TB Deskstar Internal Hard Drive on J&R for $270; actually $255 if I use the coupon code: MEMORIALDAY. The code is good on all purchases of $150 and up at J&R.

But I can get a Seagate 4TB GoFlex Desk External Drive - Drive Only for $190 ($175 after coupon code). I was thinking about buying this and cracking it open to harvest the internal hard drive. I would then pop it into my HTPC and format it. My concern is that I don't know what hard drive is inside of this thing. There may even be two 2TB hard drives inside of it, for all I know. I'm also concerned about voiding the warranty. If the thing dies after I pop it open, I'm screwed. I pretty much have to pop this one open if I buy it, because I can't even use it as an external HD, unless I also buy a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk Desktop Adapter for it.

My other option is to buy a Seagate 4TB GoFlexDesk V2 USB 3.0 for $200 (185 after coupon code). Unlike the above HD, this one is ready to use as an external HD. So I was thinking about keeping it in it's enclosure at first. I would format the HD and then use it as an external HD for maybe 3 months. If it survives that long, I would then crack it open and use it as an internal HD. Or am I voiding it's warranty just by formatting it?

How hard is it to crack open these external HDs? And with the atrocious failure rate of hard drives, am I nuts to even be considering this? If I do go through with this, which hard drive should I buy?

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The drive contained within is just a standard drive. I have a GoFlex Home hooked up to my network (ATM I can't find the model of the disk inside) and it's just a standard 2TB drive. An advantage to the GoFlex line is the base can be used for any standard bare SATA drive (it just cradles right into it).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page