Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Back Story:
so, many years ago, possibly in a galaxy far far away... or not...
I replaced my HTPC with SageTV + Extenders, and that still works perfect to this day...

sometime after that, I took some of the fun bits of my ex-HTPC (MB/SSD/etc) and built a MAME cabinet with them... and all was good and right with the world... sort of...
due to somewhat bad planning on my part, and not noticing that I don't actually have room in my house for a mame cabinet, it ended up being left out on the back patio... and that was fine too... gets a bit cold out in the winter, and a bit hot in the summer, but over all it worked out good...
then one day I was out on the patio, just got done playing a game, and was like "it sure is nice out, I wish I could watch TV out here", so I did the only logical thing and loaded up SageTV client on my ex-HTPC/MAME cab.. and all was right with the world again, and this worked fine for a couple years... I had access to all my TV and DVD's (technically I also have access to my HDDVD's & BR, but I am not sure they will work, I don't have any fancy codec's, and it is a pretty old PC, so I just never bothered...)

The Problem:
yesterday, I go to watch some Family Guy, and it starts out ok... but then a couple minutes into it it freezes... then I get the spinny circle of doom... the MAME/ex-HTPC lost network connection to ONLY the Sage Server... no ping, no nothing...
so I go into my office, fire up my desktop and RDP into the sage server... everything seems fine on its end... hmmmm???
everyone in this enet chain is just hooked up directly to my big switch, so I power cycle the big switch, and the ex-HTPC/MAME works again for a couple of minutes...
so then I fire up TheaterTek (hey, it was an 'old' HTPC, TheaterTek was the player to have back then) and go play a DVD from my unRAID server... again, it starts out ok, then no network to just the unRAID... but everywhere else pings ok just like before...

wtf?!?! I am out of ideas here... it worked fine for years, now ethernet gets tired after sending a few packets? all the Sage extenders work just fine, it is just the ex-HTPC/MAME that has enet issues.... anyone have any idea's on what could be up? is this a hardware issue or a software/OS thing?

the ex-HTPC/MAME does have a realtek NIC... I have never been a fan of realtek....
but still if it was a hardware thing, I would expect it would be completely broke... not just only to one ip address...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did you try rebooting the router?

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

nope, I did do ipconfig /flushdns /release /renew
and those all worked fine... usually when the router is unhappy dhcp doesn't work...

but hey, it doesn't hurt anything to reboot the router, so I might as well try that anyway...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Liked: 11
I'm assuming you never loose link on the port? There are a few things to look at. Make sure the switch and the pc are using the same link speed settings (probably should be autoneg unless you have a nicer than average switch.
Turn off any anti virus and firewalls
Next check you subnet masks just to make sure it's correct
If all that is right, check for crc errors (I think you can view them in task manager?). They would point to a bad cable.
If all else fails, make sure you see entries in the arp table for the machine you've tried to ping (you have to ping the machine once for windows to arp the Mac of the other machine before it'll show up.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
Also since this is outside , try a new cable. Water or animals might have gotten to it.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 13
Any chance of an ip conflict? Maybe set everything static? I would also throw a nic card in if you have one around. Unlikely it would be the cable but you never know. Maybe try a different port on the switch? Maybe the MAC table on the switch is going? Most certainly an odd issue...
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well, quick update... it is working again... watching the mythbuster about tossing fire extinguishers on fires and having them explode, putting out the fire...
not sure why it is working... just gave it a quick try to verify that it still didn't work before changing/rebooting/troubleshooting things... and well, it is working just fine now... maybe it just needed to rest overnight?

also, fwiw, I doubt it is cable related as, well, it is currently working... and more to the point, even when it isn't working, it only doesn't connect to the 'data source'(ie the location with the Movie/TV file) every other destination over enet works fine... can even fire up firefox and surf the web while it isn't 'working' (ie wont connect to 1.80 or 1.205)...

I haven't actually checked to see if the link goes away, but if it does, it comes back right away as I can still ping or even rdp to some other destination that isn't the one it is upset with...

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page