Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #361 of 2317 Old 07-18-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Frederick View Post

Here's the info from my Xeon based one that I received last week:
Awesome, thanks for the pix. That's likely the one in mine too, it's also an Intel Xeon setup. Unfortunately I've not been able to find anything useful regarding that based on the part number. Nothing I've yet found breaks down the wiring from the dock to the motherboard.

I'm assuming there's a controller board under there? Any shot of getting pix or identifying numbers off it? Or is it just a pigtail of wires coming out of the dock chassis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2317 Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a core2 Quad Q 9400 with 4 GB of RAM in my current server. If I move to one of these new boxes how will it compare? It mostly serves files with Flexraid protection, does some home Automation stuff, and occasional blu ray transcoding.
post #363 of 2317 Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike View Post

I have a core2 Quad Q 9400 with 4 GB of RAM in my current server. If I move to one of these new boxes how will it compare? It mostly serves files with Flexraid protection, does some home Automation stuff, and occasional blu ray transcoding.

The Xeons in these servers are pretty comparable - same architecture and core as the Core 2 series.
post #364 of 2317 Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Awesome, thanks for the pix. That's likely the one in mine too, it's also an Intel Xeon setup. Unfortunately I've not been able to find anything useful regarding that based on the part number. Nothing I've yet found breaks down the wiring from the dock to the motherboard.
I'm assuming there's a controller board under there? Any shot of getting pix or identifying numbers off it? Or is it just a pigtail of wires coming out of the dock chassis?

Unfortunately it seems that my old wiring harness has already been thrown out - I set the box of old parts that could not easily be reused/resold out in the garage and it looks like it has made it's way to the trash - doh! However, it was pretty much just a board with the PSU connections on one side and the mass of wires coming out the other side for connecting to the mobo/drives. I didn't spend a ton of time looking at it, but I did not notice any jumpers or easy way of modifying it.
post #365 of 2317 Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Unfortunately it seems that my old wiring harness has already been thrown out .
Ah, no worries, thanks for the follow up. I may end up rearranging some of my gear to move this motherboard into another chassis. So while I'm in there I'll be able to get at the PSU guts. But not before next week, at the earliest.
post #366 of 2317 Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

The Xeons in these servers are pretty comparable - same architecture and core as the Core 2 series.

I was under the impression the new batch has an older AMD opteron in it.

One other thing, If I am reading the specs right there should be 6 extra sata ports that aren't used for the drives?
post #367 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Depends on what you're trying to do. Some comparisons to consider:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q9400+%40+2.66GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/multi_cpu.html

From the looks of it the previous Xeon setups upgraded to dual quad cores would be pretty good, the out of the box single wouldn't. Looks like the AMD setup in the new deal seems like it'd come in pretty underpowered in comparison. You could certainly upgrade just the CPUs to improve upon that. But then you'd still need to be using software that understands how to best take advantage of all those cores.

The deal here is in the case setup, not so much the components within it.
post #368 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike View Post

I was under the impression the new batch has an older AMD opteron in it.
One other thing, If I am reading the specs right there should be 6 extra sata ports that aren't used for the drives?

Yes there are 6 sata ports on the motherboard of the box I received that are not in use. I am using one of them for the OS drive to leave all 24 bays open.
post #369 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:

From the psu to the motherboard is just your standard ATX power cables- nothing crazy there.
post #370 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Ah, no worries, thanks for the follow up. I may end up rearranging some of my gear to move this motherboard into another chassis. So while I'm in there I'll be able to get at the PSU guts. But not before next week, at the earliest.
well, you can look on http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative/270#post_22213517
there is a pdf link, open the pdf link and you will find some of your questions.

in PDF. you can have on cables/pins explanation, for example. reset/atx cables/failed/buzzer/others.
But.
you can not find PSU module module specification.
the docking is pretty well explain in the pdf file

I guess, you need to find PSU module to look in detail.

You will see in the docking part as follows:
1) power distribution
2) a controller to maintain PSU modules and failed situation
3) SMBus/I2c where link to onboard controller to external I2C (your mobo that came with the server case has it)
post #371 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I got some late news yesterday from Jason at TAMSolutions...

They got an unexpected shipment of servers from another customer... this time they are 2U

So if you really don't need a 24 drive server and would prefer the smaller form factor of a 12 drive setup... one of these these machines maybe perfect for you...

The Specs I know:
Supermicro Server Case SC826
Supermicro X7SBE
(1) AOC-SAT2-MV8
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

I will update as soon as I know more...

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #372 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 20
If I am able to get in on the next batch I'm considering upgrading to one the below options;

Dual Opteron 2419 Six Core @ 1.8 GHz
or
Dual Opteron 2384 Quad Core @ 2.70 GHz

This will be my first official home 'server', I'm currently using a mixture of NAS and external drives attached to my main rig. The server will be used for storing my media collection, transcoding MKVs and hosting game / voice server(s). I would like to have maximum performance but I am also somewhat concerned with power draw. I'm sure the 900w PSUs and 10 drives will already be hammering my electric bill so I'm looking for recommendations on a good price / performance / power consumption balance. Thanks in advance.

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #373 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I am able to get in on the next batch I'm considering upgrading to one the below options;

or

I would try the single CPU the server comes with first... if it meets your needs... Save your money! biggrin.gif If not then go for a second CPU.
Quote:
I'm sure the 900w PSUs and 10 drives will already be hammering my electric bill so I'm looking for recommendations on a good price / performance / power consumption balance. Thanks in advance.

I doubt very much you will ever come close to 900w... At idle with 16 (always spinning) drives installed... my server is at around 200w.

Using a software RAID to access on the drive needed will help limit your power consumption... as apposed to a RAID 5,6,10 which accesses all the drives all the time.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #374 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

I would try the single CPU the server comes with first... if it meets your needs... Save your money! biggrin.gif If not then go for a second CPU.
I doubt very much you will ever come close to 900w... At idle with 16 (always spinning) drives installed... my server is at around 200w.
Using a software RAID to access on the drive needed will help limit your power consumption... as apposed to a RAID 5,6,10 which accesses all the drives all the time.

Makes sense, thanks. I was just noticing that CPU upgrades are pretty cheap via Fleabay, and of course I love to tinker with things. wink.gif

I was planning on going with WHS and FlexRaid for the drive pooling and parity drives for backups. I'm guessing FlexRaid will follow the WHS power saving rules and power down drives not in use.

post #375 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Makes sense, thanks. I was just noticing that CPU upgrades are pretty cheap via Fleabay, and of course I love to tinker with things. wink.gif
I was planning on going with WHS and FlexRaid for the drive pooling and parity drives for backups. I'm guessing FlexRaid will follow the WHS power saving rules and power down drives not in use.

No Problem...

Just an FYI... The CPUs can be found pretty cheap but not necessarily the HSF.

Also... I would check out SnapRAID prior to purchasing FlexRAID...Don't get me wrong FlexRAID is great... but SnapRAID is FREE!!!

Why do you need to drive pool? Killroy got me setup using JBOD... and I haven't looked back.

You are correct about the WHS power savings rules.

~ Swearengen
post #376 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:

No Problem...
Just an FYI... The CPUs can be found pretty cheap but not necessarily the HSF.
Also... I would check out SnapRAID prior to purchasing FlexRAID...Don't get me wrong FlexRAID is great... but SnapRAID is FREE!!!
Why do you need to drive pool? Killroy got me setup using JBOD... and I haven't looked back.
You are correct about the WHS power savings rules.

I figured I could pick up a pair of CPUs + HSFs for under $100, and that would give me a significant performance boost. But I will see how it works "out of the box" first before I go spending more money. The Steam Summer Sale has already put a hurt on my wallet this week.

I've been looking at several options for getting my drives all in one place, and FlexRaid seemed to have the most user-friendly GUI and provided a good level of parity in case of drive failure(s). I also use YAMJ to server media to a couple boxes, and it's easier to configure with a single media path (ie. pooling). I'm certainly open to ideas and suggestions for keeping things low budget though!

post #377 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been looking at several options for getting my drives all in one place, and FlexRaid seemed to have the most user-friendly GUI and provided a good level of parity in case of drive failure(s). I also use YAMJ to server media to a couple boxes, and it's easier to configure with a single media path (ie. pooling). I'm certainly open to ideas and suggestions for keeping things low budget though!

I am using a Dune HD Media player with yadis as the jukebox... Killroy also taught me another trick:

Mounting a drive to an NTFS folder

This is quite a nice feature to allow access of multiple drives in one folder/location.

Here's a photo of how mine is setup:

~ Swearengen
post #378 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:

or
This will be my first official home 'server', I'm currently using a mixture of NAS and external drives attached to my main rig. The server will be used for storing my media collection, transcoding MKVs and hosting game / voice server(s). I would like to have maximum performance but I am also somewhat concerned with power draw. I'm sure the 900w PSUs and 10 drives will already be hammering my electric bill so I'm looking for recommendations on a good price / performance / power consumption balance. Thanks in advance.

if your concern on power consuming for multipurpose server (NAS/Trans/other tasks), you should stick with Xeon 54XX or 55XX:) series

opteron 24XX eats more power consumption and less powerhorse comparing with xeon 54XXX

if you prefer to stick with "old" style: pick Xeon L54XX and motherboard with chipset 5100 or 5410 ( it is ok with 5000, if you can get pretty cheap. hmm..40 bucks)
post #379 of 2317 Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:

mine is around 260W with dual Xeon L5410, non-green 10 HDs ( 2 Drives for esxi datastorage)..
it would jump to 260-310W, when runnning vmware+OI VM with 8 Drives+ ubuntu (with plex) VM.

if anyone to utilize 2U server, better to have a seperate room server/cabinet :P

1U and 2U iserver will generate much noise than 3U or 4U. this is hard to silent down the noise due on space limitation
I would say, good luck!!!
post #380 of 2317 Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I am using a Dune HD Media player with yadis as the jukebox... Killroy also taught me another trick:
This is quite a nice feature to allow access of multiple drives in one folder/location.

It's also nice as a power-saving feature, because it keeps the drives from spinning up every time you open up My Computer or explorer.
post #381 of 2317 Old 07-20-2012, 08:40 PM

OK everyone, question for you. Where can I get motherboard stand offs? In the past I would have went to CompUSA, but they went out of business. Does Best Buy, or some place like that, sell these? I would rather buy locally, rather than waiting for an online place, if at all possible. If not, where did you guys buy them online?

Thanks!!!
post #382 of 2317 Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmclay View Post

OK everyone, question for you. Where can I get motherboard stand offs? In the past I would have went to CompUSA, but they went out of business. Does Best Buy, or some place like that, sell these? I would rather buy locally, rather than waiting for an online place, if at all possible. If not, where did you guys buy them online?
Thanks!!!

Try a local, independent PC repair shop... I bet they will just give them two you.

~ Swearengen
post #383 of 2317 Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Or places like microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0218465
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0260739

I almost never run out of screws because I scavenge all of them from any PC that's getting thrown out. Or from just about anything else getting disposed of.
post #384 of 2317 Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Liked: 12
My home lab is coming along!

IMG_20120724_200408.jpg
IMG_20120724_200437.jpg

(Really need to use my real camera next time).

Specs:
Modded AIC 4U 24-bay case (modded to accept an ATX PSU and quiet fans)
Supermicro X9DRI-F
2x Intel E5-2620 6-core CPUs
32GB DDR3 EEC RAM
3x IBM M1015 flashed to IT for the 24 bays

Its purpose will be an ESXi all-in-one router/firewall, NAS, DB, HTTP, VPN, media, and whatever else I want to throw on there. Just waiting for Amazon to get some 3TB WD Reds in stock (direct from Amazon) to fill half of the bays (12) to start.
Litlgi74 likes this.
post #385 of 2317 Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-95 View Post

Specs:
Supermicro X9DRI-F
32GB DDR3 EEC RAM
Its purpose will be an ESXi all-in-one router/firewall, NAS, DB, HTTP, VPN, media, and whatever else I want to throw on there. Just waiting for Amazon to get some 3TB WD Reds in stock (direct from Amazon) to fill half of the bays (12) to start.

Dang thats pretty close to what I'm planning on getting mine to.
post #386 of 2317 Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

IMG_20120724_200408.jpg
IMG_20120724_200437.jpg
Specs:
Supermicro X9DRI-F
32GB DDR3 EEC RAM

Looks sweet!

Can we see the inside?

~ Swearengen
post #387 of 2317 Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 PM

Took some better pics with a real camera:

rackfront.jpg
rackback.jpg
serverfront.jpg
serverback.jpg
serverinside.jpg
serverinside2.jpg
powerbutton.jpg
UPSback.jpg
post #388 of 2317 Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

This is quite interesting, i have a similar setup, but how does this work for scrapping tv folders and movie folders on a single drive. Each one of my drives has a tv and movie folder.

Wont you still need to setup each as tv and movie folder so it users the correct scraper?
post #389 of 2317 Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

This is quite interesting, i have a similar setup, but how does this work for scrapping tv folders and movie folders?
Wont you still need to setup each as tv and movie folder so it users the correct scraper?
Here is my Yadis... setup...

The main reason I did this is because my Dune player can only have one SMB share open at a time...

~ Swearengen
post #390 of 2317 Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Took some better pics with a real camera:

Thanks for the added pictures...

I like how you mounted your SSD. Did you reuse the internal HDD hardware?

I am curious about your fan wall... it looks like you don't have a gap between the side of the case and the fan wall... How did you manage that?

~ Swearengen
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page