Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike03 View Post

I have two of the non supermicro ones. From the pics it looked like the 900w PSU's included in the supermicro's may be a tad bit bigger. I was hoping they were 2u with 40mm fans vs 1u with 20mm fans.
I could probably just look at the specs though......smile.gif

Here is the PSU fan(s):

I believe they are 9CRA0412J505 40mm fans... still pretty loud... too loud for me! biggrin.gif

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdog2 View Post

Well I hadn't paid yet, so maybe I will ask first.

please do!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #453 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

The noise is less obnoxious... but not by much. If you plan on keeping this in your house or apartment... modifications will need to be made!

With your proposed mods (replacing fans and psu), will it be quiet enough for an apartment? Is your current server quiet enough for that?
post #454 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I just sent Jason a message...
The price will be adjusted...
Repeat Customers: $269
First Time Buyers: $299
Please don't shoot the messenger!

still waiting his reply smile.gif...
do not worry, I stop Y Messenger a longtime :P
post #455 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
With your proposed mods (replacing fans and psu), will it be quiet enough for an apartment?
It should be... I will let you know.

Quote:
Is your current server quiet enough for that?
It is... The Noctua fans would probably make the unit even quieter... I just don't want to spend that kind of money.

~ Swearengen
post #456 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Here is the PSU fan(s):

I believe they are 9CRA0412J505 40mm fans... still pretty loud... too loud for me! biggrin.gif

wow, pretty loud... and running in High RPM. the fan does not like 6Volt or less.

the good thing is ball-bearing and reliable biggrin.gif
post #457 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well, $269 + shipping is more than I can justify since I don't need the extra storage capacity yet. Glad I was able to get one of the older ones for $149 earlier this year. Although, I may kick myself a year from now for not picking up one of these sweet Supermicro cases for so cheap.
post #458 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Well, $269 + shipping is more than I can justify since I don't need the extra storage capacity yet. Glad I was able to get one of the older ones for $149 earlier this year. Although, I may kick myself a year from now for not picking up one of these sweet Supermicro cases for so cheap.

I missed out on the $149 price... and was lucky to get in at $199...

That being said... where can you get a complete soup to nuts SuperMicro server for $299? The asking price is a steal!

~ Swearengen
post #459 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

wow, pretty loud... and running in High RPM. the fan does not like 6Volt or less.
the good thing is ball-bearing and reliable biggrin.gif

One other thing about the volume...

This servers backplane has (4) 4 pin connectors for fan control via the BIOS... The older server only has 3 pin connectors.

This feature alone will allow for better control of the dBA! smile.gif

~ Swearengen
post #460 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:

That being said... where can you get a complete soup to nuts SuperMicro server for $299? The asking price is a steal!

I wouldn't be using most of the hardware - just the case, really, as a SAS expansion box. It's conceivable that I might find myself wanting more processing power, at which point I'd be ripping out the hardware anyway and replacing with modern stuff.
post #461 of 2269 Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 PM

Liked: 11
I originally planned to build a SFF cube sized unRAID server. Even had the name Lament picked out for a cube case.

Then came the deal that I could not pass up for the huge, 24 bay, 78lb beast through tamsolutions on eBay (on first page of this post ... also on another post on UnRAID forums: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20867.0). While the exact server is no longer available, if any of you that have purchased it are interested in seeing it modified, here is what I have done to mine.

Here is how it looks after all my mods to it:

Front:
wmNDul.jpg

Back:
6VeMql.jpg

Top down views:
LITgTl.jpg
cJkyPl.jpg
CmevDl.jpg

Unchanged:
IBdOss.jpg - sata cards
ROqzzs.jpg - RAM

Here are some stats & images of the server as it shipped to me:
Case: 4U AIC RSC-4ED2 (modded greatly now)
Motherboard: Supermicro X7DBE-X (unchanged)
Processor: Intel 1.86Ghz Dual Core E5120 (updated to a faster CPU now)
RAM: 4x Corsair 2GB 240-Pin ECC DDR2 667 PC2 5300 CM72FB2048-667/SD (8GB Total unchanged)
Hard Drive: has internal 160GB IDE drive for OS, but no SATA hard drives in trays.
Includes: Server and 3 power supplies. (removed)
Controller Cards: 3x SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 (unchanged)

miYpAs.jpg - back
R3M1zs.jpg - single CPU
F3jiis.jpg - top down
nT8gAs.jpg- internal drive mount

The side fans were not that loud to me, but the power supply fans & the 2 back Sunon 60mm fans were very loud (think jet engine). I do not have a basement or some closet under the stairs to hide this noise machine. I live in Florida, the few people that have basements have water pumps running constantly & it is still too humid for electronics. So I knew I would want to make it quieter.

Originally 1.86GHz single dual core CPU... hmm, I can make this faster easily enough ;D

Thank you Litlgi74 for posting your steps so nicely on this forum! It helped me a great deal.

From local hardware store, I bought this 19" x 29" platform truck. Initially used to move the heavy server into my room. Later, I removed the handle & use it to keep my server easily movable, in & out, from under a table.

The first thing was to remove rack rails (though I kept the ears on & later wrapped my power button onto it). Then removed the internal drive mount & IDE cable; I am booting UnRAID from my USB flash drive, a DTMC/16GB Kingston DT Micro

***** Parts ordered *****
1x 120mm Fan Wall bracket from Norco cases.
1x Back Window also from Norco cases.
2x SilenX 80mm fans 32 CFM / 15 dBA
3x Rosewill Hyperborea 120mm Case Fans 57.53 CFM / 16.05 dBA

1x SeaSonic X750 750W 80Plus Gold Power Supply

2x Intel 3Ghz Dual Core E5160 (4 cores total)
1x Rosewill thermal paste bottle
Reusing the heatsink & CPU fan that came with the server, but need additional 1 of each for the new CPU (purchased from eBay):
1x Intel Socket 771 Copper Heatsink
1x Intel E30325-001 S771 Socket Xeon CPU Cooling Fan

1x package of Aleratec SATA Data Cable, 18in - 12 Pack to neaten the nest of cables (for the closer ports).
2x Brass standoffs - 15pack to raise the MB off the case bottom.
2x Self adhesive rubber feet applied to the bottom of the server to lift off the platform truck (better airflow).
1x Velcro cable wraps (because I dislike plastic zip ties)
1x Double-sided padded adhesive

I removed the original CPU. Installed the 2 new 3GHz CPUs with the thermal paste, heatsinks & CPU fans. Tested, all good... started other mods.

******* Removal *******
Removed all the SATA cards & cables, the side case fans, the power supplies.

Unscrewed all the motherboard screws (including those for the CPU/heatsinks).

Removed lots of case screws to get the original back window plate & power supply enclosure to finally release (including some screws on the bottom of the case).

Removed all the wires from the power supply enclosure with it.

****** Installation ******
Put the 120mm case fans onto the fan wall.

Installed the rubber feet on the bottom of the server.

Lined up the motherboard onto the bottom of the case & marked the holes with sharpie markers (holding up the new back window to see how it lined up). Removed motherboard, checked the marks, put the motherboard back on the case to verify the holes still lined up... all good, onto drilling.

Borrowed a drill & drill bit that would drill through metal. Drilled the holes for the motherboard. Screwed in the brass standoffs (some I could do by hand easily, a couple were stubborn to go in). Screwed a second set of standoffs into the first ones to raise up the board to the height of 2 brass standoff risers.

As Litlgi74 has in his post, the back window does not perfectly fit into this case... it needs a notch cut into it at the top (he has a picture of this). I used my swiss army knife's metal saw to do this as I did not have a drill attachment available.

Screwed in the 80mm case fans to the back window. Removed the PCI slot covers from the slots where my SATA controller cards would be.

Installed the adjusted back window & the motherboard. Everything lined up, YAY! I used some of the double sided adhesive on the back window instead of drilling more holes (was tired of drilling at this point). Screwed in the motherboard, the heatsinks (with new thermal paste) & added the CPU fans on top.

Lined up & screwed the modular power supply to the back window. I have a small piece of cardboard under the back of the power supply to keep it level.

Installed the SATA controller cards.

Labelled both ends of all the cables (already had a label maker, so did not have to order this). Mainly to make things easier on me if I needed to troubleshoot anything in the future. Attached the SATA cables & power supply cables on the drives side of the case (nothing attached on the board or power supply).

Lined up the fan wall with the fans attached. Put all the power supply cables & the SATA cables through as I wanted them & kept everything neat with the velcro ties. Used more double sided adhesive to attach the fan wall (want to get this together & working without more drilling).

Attach the power supply cables to the power supply.

Attach all the SATA cables to the controller cards.

I posted this also on UnRAID's forums at http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21838.0

*****Further Thoughts*****
Any ideas on how to keep this functionality (fan placement), but have it more secured & look a little nicer?

The area around the controller cards was a little warm without a side case fan near it. The new back window has several holes over the PCI slots. I decided to reuse one of the side case fans from the original system to pull the air up & out. I removed the side case fan from its housing. Then I needed something to set it upon. I am still keeping an eye out for something better... but I did come up with something that is working for me for now... I took a clean, dry, cream cheese container & cut a hole in the bottom of it. I set the container upside down on the controller cards then put the side case fan with the vent pointing out on top of the container. Not as pretty / nice as the rest of the mods, but my case runs much quieter & just as cool (if not a little cooler).

xA2pkl.jpg
udXB8l.jpg

RNURrl.jpg
Litlgi74 likes this.
post #462 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:

for me:
no worry about that, it is just a a feature
it is useful when the server in server closet and crunching data from HDs all the time.

299+ S/H not a steal price for me smile.gif. there will be another deal in the future biggrin.gif.

the previous deal was solid for ehem ~290 including S/H ... +10 fan backplane
$149 was a real-real steal, I was late at that time, read the discussion on unraid forum :|.

mostly I ditched out the motherboard and just use the case only smile.gif,
post #463 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

I wouldn't be using most of the hardware - just the case, really, as a SAS expansion box. It's conceivable that I might find myself wanting more processing power, at which point I'd be ripping out the hardware anyway and replacing with modern stuff.

ditto smile.gif

I have (a new/replacement) 24/7 home server 5 month old (not for VM, just a plain centos 6.3) on my old cube case, Not really good in air flow.
was looking 3U-4U server case, not a rush smile.gif, just a case only smile.gif.
post #464 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

I just sent Jason a message...
The price will be adjusted...
Repeat Customers: $269
First Time Buyers: $299
Please don't shoot the messenger!
still waiting his reply smile.gif...
do not worry, I stop Y Messenger a longtime :P

just got a reply from him, firm price $269+$90(S/H) =$359

if anyone interested... just email him and mention that you bought previous deal from ebay biggrin.gif, you should get that price. Have fun on deciding buying or not hahah biggrin.gif
post #465 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post

I
Any ideas on how to keep this functionality (fan placement), but have it more secured & look a little nicer?
The area around the controller cards was a little warm without a side case fan near it. The new back window has several holes over the PCI slots. I decided to reuse one of the side case fans from the original system to pull the air up & out. I removed the side case fan from its housing. Then I needed something to set it upon. I am still keeping an eye out for something better... but I did come up with something that is working for me for now... I took a clean, dry, cream cheese container & cut a hole in the bottom of it. I set the container upside down on the controller cards then put the side case fan with the vent pointing out on top of the container. Not as pretty / nice as the rest of the mods, but my case runs much quieter & just as cool (if not a little cooler).
xA2pkl.jpg

my suggestion:
if you have a broken pci slot fan:
* remove the broken fan including all the plastic
* keep the metal bracket only
* straighten the metal bracke that used to sit on the backplane( L to --)
* use heavy duty double side tape to stick blower fan to metal bracket.
* Screw the metal bracket from the back of backplane

** if you don not have borken pci slot fan, any vented pci slot(filler) can be used

Have fun!!! on thinkering
post #466 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't received any email from Jason yet, but I'm guessing this will cost ~$400 (299 + ship) which is probably still a great deal considering what you get.

I'm curious, if you wanted to build a 24 bay server with your own choice of components, what would you choose? It should be future proof (I'm guessing SATA6, USB3), silent, low power and easy to maintain/use.
post #467 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Any suggestions on whose 80mm case fans to use with a 4-pin fan connector on a supermicro motherboard? I'd like a shot at have the system control the fans.
post #468 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If you've got two slots free then this blower fan works pretty well:
Evercool Fox-2 System Blower
http://www.aerocooler.com/shop.cart?action=ITEM&prod_id=FANECSBF2

It takes up the width of two slots, but only requires on on the backplane. I used one of these in another box a while ago and it worked wonders for getting heat out of the box without making a racket in the process. Their single slot version was not as effective.
post #469 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just got the 80mm Case Fans installed... but my Corsair 750TX V2 arrived DOA! frown.gif

The new case fans quiet down the system a ton... even more then the Silenx fans in my first build... As far as cooling and CFM... that has yet to be determined.

Anyone want any photos of the inside of the case so far? No real changes yet... but just thought I'd offer.

PS... One other thing... the fan on the CPU will need to be replaced... It is an aftermarket and is quite loud... on the same volume level as the PSU. frown.gif

~ Swearengen
post #470 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I just got the 80mm Case Fans installed... but my Corsair 750TX V2 arrived DOA! frown.gif
The new case fans quiet down the system a ton... even more then the Silenx fans in my first build... As far as cooling and CFM... that has yet to be determined.
Anyone want any photos of the inside of the case so far? No real changes yet... but just thought I'd offer.
PS... One other thing... the fan on the CPU will need to be replaced... It is an aftermarket and is quite loud... on the same volume level as the PSU. frown.gif

I'd love to see some pics! I have a couple questions too, while I wait for my invoice;
  1. Which 80mm fans did you upgrade to?
  2. Is the 750w PSU enough to power all 24 drives, mobo, fans, etc? I'm likely going to scrap the 900w redundant PSUs and get an ATX PSU, but I'd like to make sure I have enough juice in case I ever fill this thing up and decide to upgrade to dual CPUs.
  3. Any suggestions on quieter CPU fans?

Thanks!

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #471 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I
.......frown.gif

me me me heheh smile.gif
post #472 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Any suggestions on whose 80mm case fans to use with a 4-pin fan connector on a supermicro motherboard? I'd like a shot at have the system control the fans.

go to your BIOS motherboard, search on fan control:
1) check on the menu, if your motherboard support 3pins or 4pins or both, mine support only 4pins aka PWM only
2) if your mother board does not support 4 pins PWM, do not bother to use 4 pins, you can do that let your motherboard, which supports 3 pins to control the voltage.
not all fan are acting identically when the input voltage is feeding dynamically from 4V-12V smile.gif

I prefer 4 pins since I can set PWM percentage, on my motherboard I set to 10% active duty back fan, and 30% active duty for CPU fans.

or you can use fan controller and pass-through sense cable to motherboard for fan rotation speed/rpm,

many possibilities , just nail one where is the best.
post #473 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

If we're replacing the cpu HSF, I'd probably go ahead and upgrade the cpu too since Opterons are cheap on ebay based on the other posts in this thread.
post #474 of 2269 Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am so sorry... but I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the case before I started cleaning it up...

All I have done so far is install the case fans and some cable management...

That being said... I did try my other Corsair 750 in this case. With all fans running minus the CPU fan... the server is almost silent! biggrin.gif

The plastic shroud will have to come out to make room for the ATX PSU. I may also ditch the fan brackets on the back window... mounting the fans directly to the metal itself.

The 900w PSUs are contained in a metal housing... Unscrewing the twelve or so screws... allows for the housing to be easily removed.

Because of the design... there will be a 1.25" gap between the back window and the edge of the psu.

Any Questions?

~ Swearengen
post #475 of 2269 Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Litlgi74, have some more questions -

- how did you mount the Corsair PSU?
- what kind of cleanup did you do? I assume you meant rewiring, cable ties etc? Did you use the cables that came with the server?
- you'll be replacing the cpu fan, right?

I would appreciate if you could post some details on replacing the PSU, fans etc like you did for the old server. Video would be awesome for new users like me. As soon as I hear back from Jason I will be placing my order for the server, the Arctic fans, PSU, and whatever else is needed. e.g. do you think adding some case dampening material or vibration mounts will help? I'm looking for whatever simple mods I can do that don't require tools.

I also want to have USB3 support, adding a USB3 cardin card with external ports on the back shouldn't be a problem, right?
post #476 of 2269 Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Liked: 13
So...... I can now say it worked (cutting motheroboard tray and mounting in server vs. mounting mobo directly to the case)...see my orignal tread: Thread Link

On to the pictures....

Here is right side. I used 1" long screws (too long, but all I had available at the moment) and 2 nuts (one between side and backplane and one to hold backplane on tight). As you can see from the second picture, I had to trim the corner some (trusty dremel again) to get it to fit.

Here is a picture looking down on the right side. I was worried that I didn't cut off enough of the mother board tray (all I did was hold the case top along the side of the Mobo to mark the line to cut), but it fits like a glove.

Here is the left side. Mounted the same, no trimming necessary.

Here is where i got to today. I am now waiting on a order for monoprice (cables, etc.) to complete build. You should see the mounted backplane, mounted power supply, mounted fan wall (with 3 Noctua 120mm fans mounted on it), and mounted 2 80mm Noctuna fans. I started this thing up for the wife and she didn't even know it was on (score... making it quite was part of the deal for me buying it..... she didn't care what the cost... it had to be quite). With the mounted backplane, this is a very solid case again.

Next weekend will be filled with cable management, cable routing and getting a system up and running. Thanks all for the posts...they gave me all the ideas I needed to get where I am. Looking forward to finishing this beast.

Speedbal
Litlgi74 likes this.
post #477 of 2269 Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
- how did you mount the Corsair PSU?

I didn't yet biggrin.gif... But once I get a working unit... removing the old PSUs and their housing should give ample room for the new PSU.
Quote:
- what kind of cleanup did you do? I assume you meant rewiring, cable ties etc? Did you use the cables that came with the server?

Just cable management so far... I reused the cables that came with the server... They work perfectly fine... and new ones are expensive. smile.gif
Quote:
you'll be replacing the cpu fan, right?

I already have...

I plan on updating the server with a new PSU as soon as it arrives.

I will give video a shot... but you can count on photos!
Quote:
I also want to have USB3 support, adding a USB3 cardin card with external ports on the back shouldn't be a problem, right?

Shouldn't be... there is one PCI and two PCI express slots available.

~ Swearengen
post #478 of 2269 Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Wish the backplane had mini-Sas connectors instead of individual ones. That would reduce no. of needed cables and clutter so much. Is that not common on these servers?

post #479 of 2269 Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Liked: 15
Anyone try Windows Server 2012 Essentials beta on the original core2duo server? I just installed WHS 2011 and I'm wondering if I should scrap and put 2012 on it. I'm wondering if the SATA controller drivers will work with windows server 2012?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30327

http://homeservershow.com/windows-server-2012-beta-essentials-now-available-first-look.html

Thanks
post #480 of 2269 Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Wish the backplane had mini-Sas connectors instead of individual ones. That would reduce no. of needed cables and clutter so much. Is that not common on these servers?

SAS didn't really become prevalent until the past couple of years. Supermicro makes an expander backplane for this newer server that uses a pair of SAS connections to handle all 24 drives--you can sometimes get those backplanes on eBay for $400-$500. As for getting one that would have the break-out connections built in, that's not something I've seen.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page