Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #631 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cunningham View Post

Thanks, this thread is very informative! I ordered one of these units and can't till it arrives. I am happy that it can be quieted down, I am not sure exactly where I am going to stash mine so it is going to start out in my living room.
Me too. Hope you're not married because if you are, run for the hills after putting that in your livingroom. Supermicro gear is scary loud for an occupied room. That said, I ordered one too and am looking forward to quieting that thing down for use in my office. 24 bays of hotswap goodness is too much to pass up at this price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cunningham View Post

Thanks, this thread is very informative! I ordered one of these units and can't till it arrives. I am happy that it can be quieted down, I am not sure exactly where I am going to stash mine so it is going to start out in my living room.

Same here, or more likely a corner of the kitchen with an extra long Ethernet cable. I ant it quiet enough that I can't hear it from my couch, although I'm afraid the ever present hum could be annoying.

Curious - is there anyone who has one of these beasts who lives in an apartment?

post #633 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Mine is going in my basement, I've already got a 16 bay supermicro down there that I can't hear at all upstairs. But in the basement, that's another story. biggrin.gif
post #634 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 10
I would like one of these servers but... too bad they don't ship to Canada... frown.gif
post #635 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Hi... Windows 7 installs perfectly... the only drivers that will need to be re-installed/updated are the ones for SATA cards wich can be found here

Been trying to install Win7 on my machine, but it doesn't seem to like this driver. I'm stuck.

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #636 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Been trying to install Win7 on my machine, but it doesn't seem to like this driver. I'm stuck.

How are you trying to install it? I have it on 4 boxes with W7 with no problems?

My method was Properties, update driver, point manually to the location where you extracted it. You have to do it for each and every card you have.
post #637 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

How are you trying to install it? I have it on 4 boxes with W7 with no problems?
My method was Properties, update driver, point manually to the location where you extracted it. You have to do it for each and every card you have.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

What he said...

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #638 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you are now on a waiting list for the new Supermicro 4Us and or contemplating if you really need 24 bays biggrin.gif

TamSolutions has a Supermicro 2U (12bay) as well.

Here are the specs:

Supermicro SAS826TQ
Supermicro X7SBE
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
Kingston 4GB RAM
(1) Supermicro SAT2-MV8
(2) 800 watt PSU (redundant)

All This For $189.00!!!

If you would like one of these machines before they are sold out... give TamSolutions a call at 801-796-1696... they only have about 17 or so left in stock!

The case fans in this machine are the same as the ones in the 4Us and are very loud... but they too can be very easily replaced with virtually silent fans.

The PSU fans are also much quieter than the ones that come with the 4U.

I have one of these machines as well... so if you have any questions... I would be glad to help.

Just thought I would share.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #639 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

If you are now on a waiting list for the new Supermicro 4Us and or contemplating if you really 24 bays biggrin.gif

Here are the specs:
Supermicro SAS826TQ
Supermicro X7SBE
Kingston 4GB RAM
(1) Supermicro SAT2-MV8
All This For $189.00!!!

If you would like one of these machines before they are sold out... give TamSolutions a call at 801-796-1696... they only have about 17 or so left in stock!
The case fans in this machine are the same as the ones in the 4Us and are very loud... but they too can be very easily replaced with virtually silent fans.
I have one of these machines as well... so if you have any questions... I would be glad to help.

Damn!!! That is a sweet deal! The Mobo alone is $250 brand new at Newegg.
post #640 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Can I see the front of the unit?

Also, do you know the compatibility of that motherboard with VMware ESXi?
post #641 of 2364 Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Can I see the front of the unit?

Sure... It looks just like this... but with black drive bays.

Sorry... cant help with ESXi.

~ Swearengen
post #642 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I couldn't get to that point, it must have been a bad iso because it kept asking for a driver during the initial installation. I copied over a different iso and it's working fine now.

Now to dig back through the posts and figure out which fans I can replace. These things are crazy loud!

EDIT: Are all 5 fans 80mm, or just the rear ones?

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #643 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

I couldn't get to that point, it must have been a bad iso because it kept asking for a driver during the initial installation. I copied over a different iso and it's working fine now.
Now to dig back through the posts and figure out which fans I can replace. These things are crazy loud!
EDIT: Are all 5 fans 80mm, or just the rear ones?

I used these: 80mm Arctic Cooling

All case fans are 80mm.

~ Swearengen
post #644 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

If you are now on a waiting list for the new Supermicro 4Us and or contemplating if you really need 24 bays biggrin.gif

Here are the specs:
Supermicro SAS826TQ
Supermicro X7SBE
Kingston 4GB RAM
(1) Supermicro SAT2-MV8
All This For $189.00!!!

pretty solid server case smile.gif, I saw one server at work before they sent to HQ for recycled( It should went to any liquidator company).
but..... case & PSU fans were loud!!!!!! . original PSU can be tamed with 2U PSU with thermal control fan smile.gif, just take the redundant PSU and replace with 2U non-redundant PSU
post #645 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

pretty solid server case smile.gif, I saw one server at work before they sent to HQ for recycled( It should went to any liquidator company).
but..... case & PSU fans were loud!!!!!! . original PSU can be tamed with 2U PSU with thermal control fan smile.gif, just take the redundant PSU and replace with 2U non-redundant PSU

These PSU fans are not that loud at all... when compared to the case fans. smile.gif For $20 you could swap out the case fans and have a very nice server...

~ Swearengen
post #646 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I used these: 80mm Arctic CoolingAll case fans are 80mm.
I don't like those fans as much. They're not really PWM by themselves. They're designed to daisy-chain in-between the CPU fans and the motherboard. The idea being the fans would only run at the same amount as the processors. There's no way to connect them as just 4-pin PWM all on their own. Now, if you've got other 4-pin PWM fans and you WANT to set these up inline then, sure. But I'd prefer individual 4-pin PWM units.
post #647 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I don't like those fans as much. They're not really PWM by themselves. They're designed to daisy-chain in-between the CPU fans and the motherboard. The idea being the fans would only run at the same amount as the processors. There's no way to connect them as just 4-pin PWM all on their own. Now, if you've got other 4-pin PWM fans and you WANT to set these up inline then, sure. But I'd prefer individual 4-pin PWM units.

Yes they can be daisy chained to the CPU... but if you have 4 pin connectors on the mobo... you can connect these fans as individual PWM fans by themselves:

~ Swearengen
post #648 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:

These PSU fans are not that loud at all... when compared to the case fans. smile.gif For $20 you could swap out the case fans and have a very nice server...
Still loud when you plan to put in the office/living/bed room for me
post #649 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

Still loud when you plan to put in the office/living/bed room for me

True! But for a basement or garage... no problem!

~ Swearengen
post #650 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll third the noise issue. Even with lots of efforts to quiet it down you're still going to end up with more noise than I think most people would tolerate around them. Especially spouses. While it's really tempting to have a beast like this, you really do need to have the right place to put it. It's big, heavy and a LOT louder than any sort of regular PC.

The upside is, once configured, you can put it somewhere out of the way. Provided you've got room and a shelf or rack capable of holding it. When you have this many drives in one place you DO NOT want to be keeping it on the floor. You've gotta get it up and away from dust, vibration or being hit by a vacuum cleaner. Drives are less fragile than in the past but they're still susceptible to heat and vibration or impact.

So if you don't already have a rack suitable for it you probably do not want one of these beasts... Otherwise you'll also have to make the argument for getting a rack and having space for it.
post #651 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Or a table. biggrin.gif
post #652 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotd8 View Post

Or a table. biggrin.gif

or a used metal tv table smile.gif, very sturdy. I have metal tv table with thick tempered glass ( bought on clearance 4 years ago).
I put my servers, and headless PCs( gone soon after finalizing VMs), and a big old APC UPS including 1U smart switch

this should be a temporary solution, the metal tv table is in living room,
post #653 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Lackrack gentleman, lackrack http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack. 10 Bucks and a little re-enforcement for 4u units and you are set.
post #654 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike03 View Post

Lackrack gentleman, lackrack http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack. 10 Bucks and a little re-enforcement for 4u units and you are set.

hahha, I need to drive 2 hours for going to Ikea :|.... not fun...
post #655 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I do not have a basement, just a crawl space, and can not put in garage

impossible for me for 2 reasons:
1) summer is hot!!
2)) humidity is a silent killer
post #656 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Order online? I mean, shipping will cost just as much as the product, but hey, still cheaper than a rack.
post #657 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike03 View Post

Order online? I mean, shipping will cost just as much as the product, but hey, still cheaper than a rack.
For what these beasts weight I'd never trust the crappy MDF glue-and-sawdust junk they tend to use for Ikea stuff. Yeah, it's clever hanging a router off a crappy end table, LOL and all that. But for something this heavy, with the potential for holding a considerable amount of data, I'd prefer something designed for the job. You do not want drives to fail because someone bumped against a piece of junk furniture and caused it to collapse.

As for alternative mounting: Show me your Rack.
post #658 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes they can be daisy chained to the CPU... but if you have 4 pin connectors on the mobo... you can connect these fans as individual PWM fans by themselves
Actually, you're right. The wiring wasn't immediately clear. They're wiring up the fans to the 4th PWM pin, but then they have a separate line for the pulse sensor (fan speed) which can be connected back into the CPU plug. So yes, they can be used standalone on a 4-pin header, it just didn't look that way at first glance. The cabling looks a bit ugly though. But they are nice and quiet. I've retrofitted them on both the case and the fanwall and it's a nice noise reduction.
post #659 of 2364 Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

For what these beasts weight I'd never trust the crappy MDF glue-and-sawdust junk they tend to use for Ikea stuff. Yeah, it's clever hanging a router off a crappy end table, LOL and all that. But for something this heavy, with the potential for holding a considerable amount of data, I'd prefer something designed for the job. You do not want drives to fail because someone bumped against a piece of junk furniture and caused it to collapse.
As for alternative mounting: Show me your Rack.

You want something sturdy for sure. Let's not forget HD vibration causing performance issues. See this thread for my own personal experience. :-)
post #660 of 2364 Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

From what little searching I've seen that board won't do VT-D, so no hardware pass-through in ESXi. That isn't to say that other aspects of ESXi wouldn't work, just not VT-d. But I didn't search exhaustively, just noted a few search results indicating problems with VT-d.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page