Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 2270 Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Litlgi74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I figured it would be a long shot before I went to the supermicro site.... No Software for Mac! frown.gif

I guess I will have to live with RDC.

Thanks for your help... ugotd8

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Litlgi74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 2270 Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
bima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

I figured it would be a long shot before I went to the supermicro site.... No Software for Mac! frown.gif
I guess I will have to live with RDC.
Thanks for your help... ugotd8

easy to take care.

install parallel or fusion, and install windows as a virtual machine smile.gif done!

I did that since vSphere Client does not exist on OSX :P heheheh
bima is offline  
post #723 of 2270 Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39

The beast is here !!

 

 

 

 

It was delivered around 9.30pm just when I gave up all hope. Was packed very nicely and appears in good shape. But I won't have any time to play with it till Sunday :(

Litlgi74 likes this.
Defcon is offline  
post #724 of 2270 Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Member
 
ugotd8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

The beast is here !!





It was delivered around 9.30pm just when I gave up all hope. Was packed very nicely and appears in good shape. But I won't have any time to play with it till Sunday frown.gif

Awesome! Wow, 9:30PM... lol.
ugotd8 is offline  
post #725 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 03:19 AM
Member
 
ugotd8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please forgive me if this was mentioned before in this thread. The sata backplane on the 24 bay supermicro chassis must have at least one fan connected to it. I made the mistake of connecting all the fans attached to the center panel to the motherboard and upon power-on, the sata backplane was screaming like a 2 year old because it thought all the fans had failed. Of course there may be a jumper somewhere on there to tell it that everything is ok, but who wants to look that up when you're pulling an all-nighter trying to get it finished. biggrin.gif
ugotd8 is offline  
post #726 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Litlgi74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotd8 View Post

Please forgive me if this was mentioned before in this thread. The sata backplane on the 24 bay supermicro chassis must have at least one fan connected to it. I made the mistake of connecting all the fans attached to the center panel to the motherboard and upon power-on, the sata backplane was screaming like a 2 year old because it thought all the fans had failed. Of course there may be a jumper somewhere on there to tell it that everything is ok, but who wants to look that up when you're pulling an all-nighter trying to get it finished. biggrin.gif

You are correct... it is a jumper problem... and the are hard to get to with the backplane installed and even harder with the cables attached. Here is the link to the manual... the jumpers are listed on page C-7... and the removal of the backplane is on 4-22

I was pretty sure I had all the jumpers correct when hooking up the fans to the backplane.... but I could not stop the BEEP!!!!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Litlgi74 is offline  
post #727 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
bima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^^^
the backplate does not get RPM signal :P... ehehhehe. check your fan.
bima is offline  
post #728 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

IPMI can read data from BIOS, all temperature values should match on IPMI or BIOS directly smile.gif

Yes, assuming the IPMI is configured correctly. The one that came with my system wasn't. It was entirely confused about the sensors. Updating the flash on it made it worse. I've since switched to a different motherboard with a networked IPMI interface. Which also required being reset to defaults before showing the right values for the power supply voltages.

So I wouldn't have posted my response without actual basis for concern.

Had he dropped to BIOS and checked it there that would confirm that the board understood it's own values. Not what might have been interpreted incorrectly via IPMI.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #729 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

I figured it would be a long shot before I went to the supermicro site.... No Software for Mac! frown.gif
I guess I will have to live with RDC.

If all you want is IPMI then configure it for network access and just use a web browser. No need for the IPMIview program. With Java in a browser you can even do remote KVM if you've got an IPMI board that supports it.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #730 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
bima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Yes, assuming the IPMI is configured correctly. The one that came with my system wasn't. It was entirely confused about the sensors. Updating the flash on it made it worse. I've since switched to a different motherboard with a networked IPMI interface. Which also required being reset to defaults before showing the right values for the power supply voltages.
So I wouldn't have posted my response without actual basis for concern.
Had he dropped to BIOS and checked it there that would confirm that the board understood it's own values. Not what might have been interpreted incorrectly via IPMI.

as my experiences:
I never reset IPMI to let read correctly,
everything in sync, except when I need to change the IP address or reset the password

if your IPMI need resetting, I have no idea. could be an old ine or need an update.

power supply voltages/wattags are read via i2c where is already standard, no need to resetting or changing configuration
bima is offline  
post #731 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

if your IPMI need resetting, I have no idea

Right, no idea. Mine did, and doing so on the original X7DBE board did not help it. It continued to provide incorrect voltage and fan readings via the IPMI interface board. In the BIOS it read correctly. Yes, it CAN happen. And when I set up a new board, an X7DWE using the same non-network IPMI board it was also incorrect. I stopped using that board, it's entirely possible it was defective. I replaced it with an IPMI board that has it's own network interface. When it was first installed the fan readings were wrong. So I reset it and now it works perfectly well.

This is the whole point, if you get unusual readings via IPMI then it's a simple matter to confirm them in the BIOS. Not to argue whether someone else did or didn't see the same problem.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #732 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Newbie
 
bing281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotd8 View Post

I'm thinking either I need to run the fans at full speed or put the plastic shroud back in, Sys Temp seems a little high no ?
Code:
# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.1.10 -U ADMIN sensor
Password:
CPU1 Temp        | 25.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na        | na        | 76.000    | 78.000    | 80.000
CPU2 Temp        | 25.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na        | na        | 76.000    | 78.000    | 80.000
Sys Temp         | 46.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na        | na        | 76.000    | 78.000    | 80.000
CPU1 Vcore       | 1.248      | Volts      | ok    | 0.776     | 0.784     | 0.792     | 1.624     | 1.632     | 1.640
CPU2 Vcore       | 1.240      | Volts      | ok    | 0.776     | 0.784     | 0.792     | 1.624     | 1.632     | 1.640
CPU1 DIMM        | 1.816      | Volts      | ok    | 1.592     | 1.600     | 1.608     | 1.992     | 2.000     | 2.008
CPU2 DIMM        | 1.792      | Volts      | ok    | 1.568     | 1.584     | 1.600     | 2.000     | 2.016     | 2.032
MCP55 Vcore      | 1.424      | Volts      | ok    | 1.200     | 1.216     | 1.232     | 1.552     | 1.568     | 1.584
1.2V             | 1.128      | Volts      | ok    | 1.064     | 1.072     | 1.080     | 1.320     | 1.328     | 1.336
3.3V             | 3.456      | Volts      | ok    | 2.912     | 2.928     | 2.944     | 3.648     | 3.664     | 3.680
5V               | 4.920      | Volts      | ok    | 4.416     | 4.440     | 4.464     | 5.520     | 5.544     | 5.568
12V              | 12.000     | Volts      | ok    | 10.620    | 10.680    | 10.740    | 13.260    | 13.320    | 13.380
-12V             | -12.300    | Volts      | ok    | -10.500   | -10.600   | -10.700   | -13.300   | -13.400   | -13.500
5VSB             | 4.776      | Volts      | ok    | 4.416     | 4.440     | 4.464     | 5.520     | 5.544     | 5.568
VBAT             | 2.992      | Volts      | ok    | 2.912     | 2.928     | 2.944     | 3.648     | 3.664     | 3.680
Fan1             | 0.000      | RPM        | nr    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Fan2             | 0.000      | RPM        | nr    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Fan3             | 4300.000   | RPM        | ok    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Fan4             | 4300.000   | RPM        | ok    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Fan5             | 3600.000   | RPM        | ok    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Fan6             | 3700.000   | RPM        | ok    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Fan7             | 4800.000   | RPM        | ok    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Fan8             | 4600.000   | RPM        | ok    | 200.000   | 300.000   | 400.000   | na        | na        | na
Intrusion        | 0x0        | discrete   | 0x0000| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
Power Supply     | 0x0        | discrete   | 0x0000| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
CPU Overheat     | 0x0        | discrete   | 0x0000| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
Thermal Trip0    | 0x0        | discrete   | 0x0000| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
Thermal Trip1    | 0x0        | discrete   | 0x0000| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
Once I installed the second CPU the shroud no longer fit properly, maybe I'll need to rotate the heatsink 180 degrees.

When you first turn on the server with the cover off and being in ambient 25C the system temp shows up as 37C. Therefor it is default high. Mine is set to alarm at 72C
bing281 is offline  
post #733 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Litlgi74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

If all you want is IPMI then configure it for network access and just use a web browser. No need for the IPMIview program. With Java in a browser you can even do remote KVM if you've got an IPMI board that supports it.

THANKS!!! Works perfectly via Safari on my Mac!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Litlgi74 is offline  
post #734 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39

I bought the following parts -

 

Opteron 2425 cpu - it was cheaper than the 2419 EE and is lower power than the normal 2419. It seemed to be the best value for money to me

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200014 - HSF

5x Arctic F8 fans from the same ebay link as 1st post

 

I have a Seasonic PSU I plan to reuse. I hope the 6 core cpu's work fine after updating the bios. Is everyone just mounting the PSU with tape?

Defcon is offline  
post #735 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Newbie
 
bing281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is what I purchased:

----

Supermicro MCP-410-00005-0N Screw Bag(100PCS) and Label for 24x Hotswap 3.5\\\" HDD Tray

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-MCP45ON

$11.44

----

Dual 2.5" SATA HDD PCI Mounting Card

http://linitx.com/product/12669

27 pounds

$42.36

----

2x
AMD Six-Core Opteron 2419 EE - OS2419NBS6DGN (40W version)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Six-Core-Opteron-2419-EE-OS2419NBS6DGN-/280625648564?pt=CPUs&hash=item41569793b4

$94.50

----

12GB - 6 X 2GB SMART DDR2 667MHz ECC REGISTERED RAM HYS72T256220HP LOT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200800603365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2086wt_1163

$50

----

7x

ARCTIC COOLING F8 PWM 80mm 80 mm Ultra Quiet Case Fan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160635029443?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3417wt_906

$45.41

----

2x

Noctua Fan NH-U9DO A3

http://www.datavis.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?prrfnbr=584186&site=GOGL

$106.39

----

Corsair Professional Series Gold 750-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-750AX

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-750-Watt-Certified-High-Performance/dp/B003PJ6QWE/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1345322067&sr=1-15

$118 used ebay

----

4x

4 Pin PWM to Dual PWM Computer Case Fan Power Sleeved Y-Splitter Adapter Cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-PWM-to-Dual-PWM-Computer-Case-Fan-Power-Sleeved-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Cable-/160799162585?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item25706080d9

16.60

----

I think the only things I have left is some SSD's to put in a mirrored array for the operating system and possibly a SATA card that supports mirroring and AHCI.

Otherwise I am thinking about getting 2 more 80mm fans and some Y-fan cables. completed included above

For mounting the Powersupply I am not sure yet, but I will probably either bend some spare metal or try and customize the back panel to put some screws in.

Since our board is REV 2.01A it is going to work with 6 cores.

bing281
bing281 is offline  
post #736 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Newbie
 
bing281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also in my search for hardware I read a lot of threads about the servers that tamsolutions has been selling. Here is some of my software notes taken from others (sorry I didn't keep who):


Bios Update Supermicro

http://www.supermicro.com/about/policies/disclaimer.cfm?url=/support/resources/getfile.aspx?ID=772

One more thing regarding the bios upgrade. The files do not automatically create a bootable USB flash. I created a 98 boot disk flash drive and then copied over the bios files. It flashed with no issues. If you need instructions on making a bootable USB flash look here - http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm.


SAS Card Firmware AOC-SAT2-MV8

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Firmware/AOC-SAT2-MV8/


RAID Drivers Marvell (winderz drivers)

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SATA/Adaptec_Marvell_H2/Windows/8_Ports/


I found these links to official and modded drivers: (to enable AHCI on MCP51/55/61)

[URL=http://For XP 32/64 bit http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/xp-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70968.html]For XP 32/64 bit http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/xp-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70968.html[/URL]

[URL=http://For Vista and 7 http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/win7-vista-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70915.html]For Vista and 7 http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/win7-vista-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70915.html[/URL]


Latest SuperMicro Driver (MCP55)

[URL=http://Vista_Win2k8 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//Vista_Win2K8]Vista_Win2k8 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//Vista_Win2K8[/URL]

[URL=http://XP_Win2K3 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//XP_Win2K3]XP_Win2K3 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//XP_Win2K3[/URL]


Hope my notes help you guys out.

bing281
bing281 is offline  
post #737 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39

bing281, couple of questions -

 

- what software are you going to run? Do you really need 12GB? Or did you do that so you can split 6GB/cpu

- don't you need HSF mounting brackets?

- what's the best place to mount an OS drive in this case? I see you will use ssd's in the card you bought (which btw is new to me). I know the case comes with an IDE drive bracket, would that do?

- why 7 fans? doesn't the case only take 5? Or are they to replace the ones on the HSF?

- are the splitter cables needed?

 

I forgot to order the bag of screws. $8 shipping seem excessive.

Defcon is offline  
post #738 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Newbie
 
bing281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

bing281, couple of questions -

- what software are you going to run? Do you really need 12GB? Or did you do that so you can split 6GB/cpu
- don't you need HSF mounting brackets?
- what's the best place to mount an OS drive in this case? I see you will use ssd's in the card you bought (which btw is new to me). I know the case comes with an IDE drive bracket, would that do?
- why 7 fans? doesn't the case only take 5? Or are they to replace the ones on the HSF?
- are the splitter cables needed?

I forgot to order the bag of screws. $8 shipping seem excessive.

I am putting 10GB per CPU. I am going to be running Windows Server 2012 on this machine. I just got 12GB because it was less expensive then 8GB's I saw.

For the Noctua's they are mount through and will mount directly to the Socket F 1207 3.5"

Well the IDE is already hooked up to the power supply it is not a very good spot if you are going to remove the power supply. You could rig something up on the other side. It would be easier with 2.5" drives. See the picture:


There is other options such as:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-5-Inch-Removable-Expansion-S25SLOTR/dp/B002MWDRD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345357546&sr=8-1&keywords=2.5++pci+hard+drive
But this still uses a PCI slot.

I got 7 fans to put 2 more in. 1 will go over the sas cards, and 1 will go in the place left open from the removal of the SAS cards:


I was not sure if I would need the splitters, but I wanted to have them handy.

bing281
bing281 is offline  
post #739 of 2270 Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Member
 
ugotd8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know you didn't ask me, but I just finished doing the swap from the SuperMicro PSUs to an ATX PSU for my buddy. Once you remove the power supplies and the power supply housing, there is no place to mount the IDE brackets since they mount to the PSU housing. He had 2 small SSDs for his OS drives and we mounted them with 3M double sided tape to the side of the PSU without issue.

In regards to mounting the PSU to the case... There is a portion of the instructions which read "knock out the pins for the IDE disk brackets". Rather than do that, we used two layers of heavy duty rubber over that area to make a lower PSU mount. Then for the veritcal side we again used a liberal about of 3M double sided tape.

The case fan swap was rather easy, we ordered 5 of these which seem to do the job just fine.

I ordered 3 bags of 100 screws from the provantage link provided earlier in this thread, total cost was $16.

We did not need any fan splitter cables or any of that, there were plenty of places to connect 3pin fans on the motherboard. Note that you'll need to make sure to connect at least one fan to the SATA backplane or you'll have to mess with the jumpers.
ugotd8 is offline  
post #740 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Newbie
 
jusjoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post


I have a Seasonic PSU I plan to reuse. I hope the 6 core cpu's work fine after updating the bios. Is everyone just mounting the PSU with tape?

I am new here and appreciate all the great info the forum members have provided including the GREAT detail from the OP... THANKS smile.gif

I am in the middle of building my supermicro 24 bay systems from the recent TAMSolutions offering and assisted another member with his 48 bay build. In a bit I will post more images of my build but for now I thought I would share how I installed the PSU in my system.

I followed the OP steps to remove the old redundant PSU (thanks for that) and then I also removed the plastic air duct as I do not plan to use it. Given this it allowed me to install the 750 Watt replacement PSU nearly all the way to the back wall of the chassis.

As info, I did remove the back wall to allow me to drill holes for my 80mm fans (as I did not want to use the shrouds and ducts the chassis came with) and while I had it out I also drilled the slotted hole I used for the back wall PSU bracket I created.




As you can see in the images I created 2 small brackets for the PSU. The back one I cut out of an old backwall from another build but is basically just an L shapped bracked with a threaded hole that I mounted to the backwall in a slotted hole so I could snug it up against the PSU. I used some 24 mil rubber tape on the end to make the fit tighter.

For the sidewall mount I created a "S" or "Z" shaped bracket that also uses the rubber tape on the one end to make a nice finish and go tight against the PSU and on the other end I slotted the bracket hole and used one of the existing threaded sidewall holes to screw on the new bracket... the slot allowed me to also snug up the bracket to the PSU.

It is very solid and with it tight to the back wall I can get to the power switch and the cord plug.

I will post the fan wall pics and others later... now off to installing the OS !!!

k
Litlgi74 and bing281 like this.
jusjoken is offline  
post #741 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Litlgi74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I bought the following parts -

Opteron 2425 cpu - it was cheaper than the 2419 EE and is lower power than the normal 2419. It seemed to be the best value for money to me
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200014 - HSF
5x Arctic F8 fans from the same ebay link as 1st post

I have a Seasonic PSU I plan to reuse. I hope the 6 core cpu's work fine after updating the bios. Is everyone just mounting the PSU with tape?

I didn't think that the AMD motherboard supported a CPU faster than the 2419... The manual does say 2000 Series CPUs are supported... It's just that I haven't seen anyone use one larger than 2419. I do hope it works.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Litlgi74 is offline  
post #742 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Litlgi74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post

I am new here and appreciate all the great info the forum members have provided including the GREAT detail from the OP... THANKS smile.gif
I am in the middle of building my supermicro 24 bay systems from the recent TAMSolutions offering and assisted another member with his 48 bay build. In a bit I will post more images of my build but for now I thought I would share how I installed the PSU in my system.
I followed the OP steps to remove the old redundant PSU (thanks for that) and then I also removed the plastic air duct as I do not plan to use it. Given this it allowed me to install the 750 Watt replacement PSU nearly all the way to the back wall of the chassis.
As info, I did remove the back wall to allow me to drill holes for my 80mm fans (as I did not want to use the shrouds and ducts the chassis came with) and while I had it out I also drilled the slotted hole I used for the back wall PSU bracket I created.


As you can see in the images I created 2 small brackets for the PSU. The back one I cut out of an old backwall from another build but is basically just an L shapped bracked with a threaded hole that I mounted to the backwall in a slotted hole so I could snug it up against the PSU. I used some 24 mil rubber tape on the end to make the fit tighter.
For the sidewall mount I created a "S" or "Z" shaped bracket that also uses the rubber tape on the one end to make a nice finish and go tight against the PSU and on the other end I slotted the bracket hole and used one of the existing threaded sidewall holes to screw on the new bracket... the slot allowed me to also snug up the bracket to the PSU.
It is very solid and with it tight to the back wall I can get to the power switch and the cord plug.
I will post the fan wall pics and others later... now off to installing the OS !!!
k

Very Nice!!! I planned on doing the exact same thing... But our fellow users got impatient waiting for an update... and I got lazy smile.gif

If I remember correctly, the Plug for the "Corsair" PSU was little to far to the right for this to work without bending the cord or cutting a slot for the cord to fit better.

I look forward to seeing the back wall fans installed.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Litlgi74 is offline  
post #743 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Litlgi74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing281 View Post

Also in my search for hardware I read a lot of threads about the servers that tamsolutions has been selling. Here is some of my software notes taken from others (sorry I didn't keep who):
Bios Update Supermicro
http://www.supermicro.com/about/policies/disclaimer.cfm?url=/support/resources/getfile.aspx?ID=772
One more thing regarding the bios upgrade. The files do not automatically create a bootable USB flash. I created a 98 boot disk flash drive and then copied over the bios files. It flashed with no issues. If you need instructions on making a bootable USB flash look here - http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm.
SAS Card Firmware AOC-SAT2-MV8
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Firmware/AOC-SAT2-MV8/
RAID Drivers Marvell (winderz drivers)
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SATA/Adaptec_Marvell_H2/Windows/8_Ports/
I found these links to official and modded drivers: (to enable AHCI on MCP51/55/61)
[URL=http://For XP 32/64 bit http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/xp-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70968.html]For XP 32/64 bit http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/xp-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70968.html[/URL]
[URL=http://For Vista and 7 http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/win7-vista-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70915.html]For Vista and 7 http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/win7-vista-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70915.html[/URL]
Latest SuperMicro Driver (MCP55)
[URL=http://Vista_Win2k8 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//Vista_Win2K8]Vista_Win2k8 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//Vista_Win2K8[/URL]
[URL=http://XP_Win2K3 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//XP_Win2K3]XP_Win2K3 ftp://ftp.supermicro.com//driver/nVidia/MCP55//XP_Win2K3[/URL]
Hope my notes help you guys out.
bing281

If you are running Windows 7 or later... I would stick with all the stock drivers except the driver for the SATA Cards. These seem tot the best and fastest drivers: http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=342&expand=_a3&action=b150%23b150

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Litlgi74 is offline  
post #744 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
bima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
just my opinions:
1) buy better fans not sleeve fans.
2) cards is Not SAS, is dumb SATA card where non need cooling. if you need better performance-> HBA SAS/SATA Card; for example IBM M1015/DELL H200/ other LSI rebranded 2008.
3) do not invest much $$$ on upgrading CPU, memory, and others, The best upgrade is replacing with current cpu/motherboard/memory for a long term, for exampke I3/supermicro mobo/DDR3 ECC memory
4) the current stock is more than enough to serve as a file server.

finally I bited supermicro 4U deal ( was planning to get 2U, but changed my mind since additional $90 can get 4U)
here are some replacement parts:
1) Norco 120mm fan wallL $10, I prefer 120mm fan with low RPM, my dremel will work hard again
3) 3 (ball bearing) 120mm fans ( already have them)
4) 2 (ball bearing) 80mm fans ( already have them)
5) 1 80mm cpu fans ( already have this)
5) opteron 2354 with heatsink ( 75W rated) $10 from ebay, I need a non 1U heatsink.
6) PC Power & cooling PSU 750W (already has this, pulled from my workstation where I move motherboard/memory for esxi with previous 4U server)
7) 6 ports ethernet card (intel chipset) for $12 from ebay ( Nvidia ethernet controller is not good comparing with broadcom and intel) for ethernet bonding.

this machine will serve me as a primary fileserver, where impossible to move to VM
bima is offline  
post #745 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
bima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

I didn't think that the AMD motherboard supported a CPU faster than the 2419... The manual does say 2000 Series CPUs are supported... It's just that I haven't seen anyone use one larger than 2419. I do hope it works.

the motherboard should support 2XXXX opteron series.
as I know, many seller are dumping 2419 EE. this is the same situation for monts on ebay with xeon L5420 SLARP (OEM version) where some seller have many in their stock.
bima is offline  
post #746 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Member
 
speedbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So.... quick question. I have the fans in the back facing outward (blows air out of case) and I am 99.9% confident that is correct. My question is... what about the fan wall. I mounted them like it appears everyone else mounts them (sucking air over the hardrives, pushing air toward the back over Mobo). Is that right? I believe this is done as to not "vapor lock" the system (if you point both the fan wall and the rear fans sets out, it will constantly be fighting the ones in the back). Can someone confirm that this is correct? I would hate to have to take everything apart, but I will if necessary for air flow. My temps are not that bad, but I only have 2 Hard Drives in it at the moment).

Sensor Type Sensor Name Sensor Status Sensor Reading
Temperature CPU Temp 1 OK 18 degrees C
Temperature Sys Temp OK 33 degrees C
Temperature Hard Drive 1 OK 32 degrees C
Temperature Hard Drive 2 OK 31 degrees C

by the way... got my LackRack done... here some pics with the system in (on Top is a HP TFT5600 RKM Rack Mount 15" Flat Panel LCD that I won cheap from an Auction on EBay since I didn't replace the mobo with something that did KVM)









To be sure the "LackRack" was reasonably sturdy for this beast, I connected the 2 tables together with metal brackets (flat) I got at Lowe's for a few bucks. For easy moving around, I put 4 80lb casters under it (2"). Not the same as a full rack metal enclosure, but it is all I need and only spent ~30$US on it with the Lowe's trip). If you need more detail, would be happy to provide.

Speedbal
speedbal is offline  
post #747 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Newbie
 
bing281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

If you are running Windows 7 or later... I would stick with all the stock drivers except the driver for the SATA Cards. These seem tot the best and fastest drivers: http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=342&expand=_a3&action=b150%23b150

I don't understand how you could use these drivers with the supermicro board?
bing281 is offline  
post #748 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
bing281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbal View Post

So.... quick question. I have the fans in the back facing outward (blows air out of case) and I am 99.9% confident that is correct. My question is... what about the fan wall. I mounted them like it appears everyone else mounts them (sucking air over the hardrives, pushing air toward the back over Mobo). Is that right? I believe this is done as to not "vapor lock" the system (if you point both the fan wall and the rear fans sets out, it will constantly be fighting the ones in the back). Can someone confirm that this is correct? I would hate to have to take everything apart, but I will if necessary for air flow. My temps are not that bad, but I only have 2 Hard Drives in it at the moment).
Sensor Type Sensor Name Sensor Status Sensor Reading
Temperature CPU Temp 1 OK 18 degrees C
Temperature Sys Temp OK 33 degrees C
Temperature Hard Drive 1 OK 32 degrees C
Temperature Hard Drive 2 OK 31 degrees C
by the way... got my LackRack done... here some pics with the system in (on Top is a HP TFT5600 RKM Rack Mount 15" Flat Panel LCD that I won cheap from an Auction on EBay since I didn't replace the mobo with something that did KVM)




To be sure the "LackRack" was reasonably sturdy for this beast, I connected the 2 tables together with metal brackets (flat) I got at Lowe's for a few bucks. For easy moving around, I put 4 80lb casters under it (2"). Not the same as a full rack metal enclosure, but it is all I need and only spent ~30$US on it with the Lowe's trip). If you need more detail, would be happy to provide.
Speedbal

You are correct the fan wall should blow back (suck through hard drives) to the back of the case and the rear fans out.
bing281 is offline  
post #749 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
bima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbal View Post

So.... quick question. I have the fans in the back facing outward (blows air out of case) and I am 99.9% confident that is correct. My question is... what about the fan wall. I mounted them like it appears everyone else mounts them (sucking air over the hardrives, pushing air toward the back over Mobo). Is that right? I believe this is done as to not "vapor lock" the system (if you point both the fan wall and the rear fans sets out, it will constantly be fighting the ones in the back). Can someone confirm that this is correct? I would hate to have to take everything apart, but I will if necessary for air flow. My temps are not that bad, but I only have 2 Hard Drives in it at the moment).
Sensor Type Sensor Name Sensor Status Sensor Reading
Temperature CPU Temp 1 OK 18 degrees C
Temperature Sys Temp OK 33 degrees C
Temperature Hard Drive 1 OK 32 degrees C
Temperature Hard Drive 2 OK 31 degrees C
by the way... got my LackRack done... here some pics with the system in (on Top is a HP TFT5600 RKM Rack Mount 15" Flat Panel LCD that I won cheap
To be sure the "LackRack" was reasonably sturdy for this beast, I connected the 2 tables together with metal brackets (flat) I got at Lowe's for a few bucks. For easy moving around, I put 4 80lb casters under it (2"). Not the same as a full rack metal enclosure, but it is all I need and only spent ~30$US on it with the Lowe's trip). If you need more detail, would be happy to provide.
Speedbal

here is the air flow direction:
RFfqa.png?1

please post the in detail biggrin.gif including the parts that you bought from Lowes.
bima is offline  
post #750 of 2270 Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing281 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

If you are running Windows 7 or later... I would stick with all the stock drivers except the driver for the SATA Cards. These seem tot the best and fastest drivers: http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=342&expand=_a3&action=b150%23b150

I don't understand how you could use these drivers with the supermicro board?

Since I also plan to run Server 2012, I'm interested in what drivers you got to work with it.
Defcon is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off