Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
you get yours yet ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

you get yours yet ?

No he did not! tongue.gif

Just a heads up... Jason from TAMSolutions is currently going through a heath crisis with multiple family members. So if anyone here has been trying to reach him... He may not answer right away... but he will get back to you.

Just thought you should know before you think he is ignoring you calls or emails.

Hopefully things will be back to normal for him and his family really soon.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #1083 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Con being that it requires use of 2.5" drives. At least with the TAM units you have the option to use 3.5" or 2.5's with adapters inside. Last I checked 3.5" drives are still a fair bit less expensive. I believe some enterprise drives are now moving toward the 2.5" form-factor but their price point may be more than most want to spend.
So I'd skip that one unless you're good with the drive pricing it'd incur.

Didn't even notice that. No way i would want 2.5 drives. I have a 12 bay now with 3.5 so i just need more space. I was wondering how 24 drives would fit vertically across in a rack?? Now it makes sense.
post #1084 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

How about just chassis ? Is that offered if I had a CPU and board ?
What best option for case ? I like the norco 24 bay hot swap model.

the deal is all in one (complete server) for 24 bays SM smile.gif
Chasis+motherboard+CPU+memory+SATA Cards.
is that a good deal, even the mobo/CPU/Card is no the latest technology... 5 years old..?

you can not compare norco 24 bays server with SM 24 bays, this is day and night different.

even you just use the SM 24 bays case and trash the mobo/CPU/cards, you still get a goo deal on server case:), by assuming $299+S/H (~$80-$90)....
post #1085 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM

does anyone score BF 3T Seagate for $90 each?...
post #1086 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

Yea i managed to get 6 of the 3TB seagates on BF for 89 + 7 for the 5 yrs extended warranty. Limit was three, i placed order for three, and got a close friend place an order for another 3. Egg company shipped it fast and i have all of them now.. no DOA's yet.
post #1087 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

the deal is all in one (complete server) for 24 bays SM smile.gif
Chasis+motherboard+CPU+memory+SATA Cards.
is that a good deal, even the mobo/CPU/Card is no the latest technology... 5 years old..?
you can not compare norco 24 bays server with SM 24 bays, this is day and night different.
even you just use the SM 24 bays case and trash the mobo/CPU/cards, you still get a goo deal on server case:), by assuming $299+S/H (~$80-$90)....

I think the cpu/mobo/cards are good enough just for a headless server. If you've got a decent desktop/htpc connected to this headless server... i dont think you will ever regret not upgrading those components.
post #1088 of 2269 Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Just a heads up... Jason from TAMSolutions is currently going through a heath crisis with multiple family members. So if anyone here has been trying to reach him... He may not answer right away... but he will get back to you.
Just thought you should know before you think he is ignoring you calls or emails.

Thanks for the heads up, I sent him an email and I'll sit tight!
post #1089 of 2269 Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I got 4. One Amazon and 3 Newegg.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1090 of 2269 Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM

nice, I bought 3 from Amazon, 3 from newegg and 1(emergency spare) from newegg

will replace my 500G/1T HDs arrays biggrin.gif, and move those Hds to my non 24/7 back-up server
post #1091 of 2269 Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can someone point me to a good empty case solution ??? I guess these things come with boards and stuff. What if I only needed a case ??

-

post #1092 of 2269 Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Can someone point me to a good empty case solution ??? I guess these things come with boards and stuff. What if I only needed a case ??
As has been suggested earlier on this thread, the systems linked to here are good candidates for having their innards replaced. You still end up with a better quality case at a less expensive price than a number of the new 24-bay bare chassis choices. You buy the system, rip out the motherboard and put in something else. If you prefer a quieter power supply then you *may* have a bit more work.

But bear in mind, there's no way a box like this is EVER going to be quiet enough to be undetectable, or even totally ignorable. Even with a passive CPU or very quiet fans you still can't escape the fact that if you populate all 24 of the drive bays those drives WILL generate a fair bit of noise and WILL need to have cooling airflow pulled across them. This WILL result in a fair bit more noise than most desktops. So then you're faced with the choice of do you put a lot of time and money into trying to make it "quieter" or do you put it in a place that doesn't have issues with the noise?

These really aren't systems to try and keep in a small apartment or inside a living room entertainment console. They're better placed in rooms not otherwise occupied that have decent air temperature management. As in, not stuffed inside a closed closet, attic or other un-conditioned space.
post #1093 of 2269 Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As has been suggested earlier on this thread, the systems linked to here are good candidates for having their innards replaced. You still end up with a better quality case at a less expensive price than a number of the new 24-bay bare chassis choices.

But you can't get it empty ?

You need to have it full of parts I don't want ?

-

post #1094 of 2269 Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're prepared to install parts then you're certainly prepared to remove some. Yes, it comes with stuff in it. If you don't want the stuff then rip it out and do whatever you'd like with the parts. Hell, you might even be able to ebay them back to someone else and further reduce the cost of the system.

Systems like this are usually pulled from working setups, often a whole data-center that's been obsoleted or upgraded. Often they just rip out the hard drives (and scrap them) and leave the rest of the system as-was from the working environment.

As a result you can often get a good deal on great hardware but accept that it might take a little work. Should be pretty easy to understand. If not then, well, to paraphrase Obi-Wan, "These are not the systems you are looking for..."
post #1095 of 2269 Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If not then, well, to paraphrase Obi-Wan, "These are not the systems you are looking for..."

Sorry Mfusic... I don't mean to poke fun... but that really funny!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #1096 of 2269 Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry Mfusic... I don't mean to poke fun... but that really funny!

-

post #1097 of 2269 Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, well, no insult intended. It's just when a thread like this comes along it often tempts folks into thinking they too ought to do something like it. But this is a setup that, while pretty nifty, isn't suited for everyone.
post #1098 of 2269 Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Any word from Jason as to when the next batch of these will be ready? I e-mailed to be on the wait list, but never heard anything.
post #1099 of 2269 Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech View Post

Any word from Jason as to when the next batch of these will be ready? I e-mailed to be on the wait list, but never heard anything.

Nothing yet... I know it sucks to wait... but patience will save you lots of money! biggrin.gif

He is receiving small amounts of drive bays to fill the empty server chassis... those on the waiting list will have there orders filled first.

~ Swearengen
post #1100 of 2269 Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Nothing yet... I know it sucks to wait... but patience will save you lots of money! biggrin.gif
He is receiving small amounts of drive bays to fill the empty server chassis... those on the waiting list will have there orders filled first.

Awesome, thanks for the update!
post #1101 of 2269 Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 PM

I got one of these and am trying to install a second CPU.

This is the stock version from TAM solutions..no Mob upgrade.

I put 4 more sticks of ram in and put in the second CPU and it wont boot. When I take out the 2nd CPU, it boots fine.

I'm a noob, but trying to figure this out.

Anyone guide me on how to get it working?

Thanks
post #1102 of 2269 Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you using RAM that's known to be compatible? As in, on the supermicro list for that particular motherboard?

Does yours work with just the 2nd CPU and not the added RAM? Or is the additional processor the hang up either way?
post #1103 of 2269 Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 PM

It works fine with the original CPU, original RAM and the 4 sticks I added. I have installed windows 7, flexraid , plex server and everything works fine.

I then add the second CPU and it wont boot up.

Thanks
post #1104 of 2269 Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddyo811 View Post

It works fine with the original CPU, original RAM and the 4 sticks I added. I have installed windows 7, flexraid , plex server and everything works fine.
I then add the second CPU and it wont boot up.
Thanks

Which version of Windows 7? I think you'd need either Pro or Ultimate to support multiple physical processors.
post #1105 of 2269 Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM

It is ultimate
post #1106 of 2269 Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

When you say "wont boot" do you mean not at all, no BIOS screen? Or that the BIOS screen loads and then the OS loading hangs?

Are both processors the exact same model (as listed on the top of the chip)?

Are you sure the 2nd processor is good? As in, have you swapped it into the place of the 1st one, by itself? And if that still works does putting your 1st processor into the second socket cause the same failure? This would help narrow down whether it's a processor or socket problem. And are you running the latest BIOS for the board?

And has your board had it's CMOS reset to factory defaults?

Sorry if these seem like baby-steps, but if one of the above steps failed it'd be an important debugging indicator.

And you didn't answer whether or not these are vendor recognized as compatible memory sticks. When you start pushing full capacities of boards it starts to become a lot more critical that known tested components are used. Yeah, it "shouldn't" matter... until it does.
post #1107 of 2269 Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM

There is no bios screen. The fans power up for 1 second and then it all stops.

The processors are different models.

I checked the 2nd processor and it is good.

I dont know how to reset the CMOS to factory default and/or how to flash the bios. Are there instructions somewhere?

They are vendor recognized memory sticks.

Thanks for all the help. I actually appreicate the "baby-steps" as this is new to me. This is my first project and I'm loving it.

bdo
post #1108 of 2269 Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM

Liked: 13
You can't run 2 different CPUs on one board, need to be same model, preferably from same batch.
post #1109 of 2269 Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Oops. My mistake. It is the SAME CPU. It was pulled from my friend's same server when he upgraded his to another type of CPU.
post #1110 of 2269 Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The supermicro website will have the latest BIOS firmware and the manual. You may need to upgrade the motherboard BIOS if the processors you're using are newer that what the existing firmware supports.

How do you know the 2nd CPU is still good? Have you swapped out the 1st one for it and booted successfully? That would also let you use the 1st processor in the 2nd socket to further clarify what works or not.

Get a really bright flashlight and carefully examine all of the pins in socket 2. It's entirely possible there could be damage preventing the socket from working properly.

I believe there's a set of pins on the motherboard you have to put a jumper across to reset the CMOS. This is a good practice to perform any time you get new hardware. That way you're sure the board has configured itself for it's factory defaults, not some oddball config left lurking somewhere.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page