Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

I think what I'll do is leave it running the next couple of days and, if both my nanny and wife complain about the noise, I'll do the full mod -- because, let's be frank here, the main mod that's necessary is the PSU, and there's just no way to switch PSU's unless you do the full mod.

Did you just wuss out??? smile.gif

If you want to get rid of the 60mm jet engine fans... you could attach the 80mms you purchased with two of these: http://www.xoxide.com/60-80-fan-adapter.html

Here is a pic of what I had planned on doing, before deciding the PSUs were also way to loud.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Ok, I'm in for one too.

I've disassembled other power supplies like those and replaced their fans with much quieter units. That or rewired them to use an external fan controller. I've found that using analog fan controllers useful in tuning the noise level to more acceptable levels. Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-PCI-Bracket-3-Fan-Cooling-Bracket-Speed-Controller-Speeder-Noise-Reducer-/150679547846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2315336fc6

I rejigger the fans to have them all humming at a similar harmonic. I find it's better to have more fans at a less annoying sound level than fewer fans making a racket. Watching out for temperatures, of course.

But this has only been with 3U & 4U cases with no more than eight 3.5" drives (each in their own 5.25 carrier with fan). Whether that technique pans out with this 24 drive beast might be a different story.
post #93 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

I have 16 drives installed... UPS shows 195w
Not sure why you couldn't do any of your plans... You will just need to get the Norco "Back Window" and "Fan Wall" or one from a similar manufacturer... The rest should pretty easy.
I say... GO FOR IT!

Well, I jumped on it. I have some plans for the system, and will post with updates. I was able to find an actual AIC back window for ATX motherboard and ATX Power supply. Thank you very much for posting the actual brands of the components, as it helped me get some degree of comfort that the back plates would fit the case. I'll post as soon as I figure out if the plates fit.

Very excited to start this project. smile.gif
post #94 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGFreeh View Post

I was able to find an actual AIC back window for ATX motherboard and ATX Power supply.

Where, Who, How Much? I looked for quite some time... even called AIC. They said they didn't make a back window that would work!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #95 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Where, Who, How Much? I looked for quite some time... even called AIC. They said they didn't make a back window that would work!

I'll make you a deal; if the parts work, I'll disclose my sources. If they don't, you don't have to worry about it smile.gif
post #96 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:

I was able to find an actual AIC back window for ATX motherboard and ATX Power supply.
Very excited to start this project. smile.gif

I too would be interested in where you sourced these.

I got mine on Tuesday (ordered on Friday the 1st). Packaging was great, all nice and secure. I had an issue when I powered it up...a constant high pitched alarm, reminded me of a CPU overheat alarm. So I reset all the ram, cleared CMOS, and it still was going beeeeeeeeeeeep. I emailed Jason at Tam Solutions and he responded quickly. Said he hadn't had this issue before. I told him I was going to re-seat the CPU and apply new thermal compound. He said to try it and check in this forum for help, but if that didn't work he wanted me to be happy with my purchase. So they get an A for service! At any rate, I did the CPU re-seating and still got the alarm. That's when I noticed a Bu. Reset button on the back. That did the trick. Major 'DUH' on my part.

So I'm totally happy with my purchase, the packaging was good and secure, shipping was fast, customer service was quick, friendly, and courteous. Overall, would recommend.

I'm going to post a few pics of the unboxing soon, along with some readings from a cheapo db meter with and without the fans (this thing is LOUD), and some readings from the Kill-o-Watt meter. Big thanks to the OP for turning me on to this deal.

Edit:
Quote:

I'll make you a deal; if the parts work, I'll disclose my sources. If they don't, you don't have to worry about it smile.gif

Deal. Thanks!
post #97 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Duke... Glad the unit arrived safely... and that you are pleased.
Quote:
That's when I noticed a Bu. Reset button on the back. That did the trick. Major 'DUH' on my part.

As far as the beeeeeeep! You will get this if you pull out on of the PSUs as well. Just hit the button on the back of the server should it happen again. Ultimately, the beep can and will be defeated if and when you make the case mods and upgrade to the a new PSU.

Also, make sure the SATA cards are seated correctly... at first my unit would not boot because of this.

I look forward to seeing your mods.

~ Swearengen
post #98 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is one thing I forgot to mention....

Once you get all the mods done to the case... you will still need a power switch.

This is how I made use of the one that came with the server:

The original three button switch (power, reset, b. reset) is mounted on a bracket that is attached to the original motherboard plate... I just took the nut off of the power switch and removed it from the mount. Then found a hole in the right side of the case... slid the switch in the hole... screwed the original nut back on. Perfect!

This probably won't be ideal if you plan on rack mounting the server! biggrin.gif

~ Swearengen
post #99 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 11
So is anyone running this with UnRaid? I was considering a Norco for an UnRaid build, but this looks too good to be true. I just want to know if this works with UnRaid - particularly if anyone is using the RC's of the new version.
post #100 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmclay View Post

So is anyone running this with UnRaid? I was considering a Norco for an UnRaid build, but this looks too good to be true. I just want to know if this works with UnRaid - particularly if anyone is using the RC's of the new version.

This should work just fine with unRAID. Actually, the first mention of this deal was made on the unRAID forum months ago.
post #101 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:

It works perfectly with unRAID... Right out of the box.
You can read more about other unRAID users here [=http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18610.0][/]

Did you have to put in a NIC card? Or was the onboard NIC a good one? How are your speeds? This sounds too good to be true, but sounds like people have really had no problems. Doesn't look like he has the opteron available, only the xeon. Having the PCI-e slots would be nice. Just not sure... Thanks for all the great info.
post #102 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 PM

One other question, if you don't mind.

Does this have the power to run Plex on it as well? My current WHS maxes out the CPU when I try to use it and watch a movie with my cell phone.
post #103 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you have to put in a NIC card? Or was the onboard NIC a good one? How are your speeds? This sounds too good to be true, but sounds like people have really had no problems. Doesn't look like he has the opteron available, only the xeon. Having the PCI-e slots would be nice. Just not sure... Thanks for all the great info.

The Supermicro server boards have almost the exact same gigabit NIC as the Intel Pro 1000 that are so popular. They are rock solid and I can get full speeds with all my other boxes.
post #104 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does this have the power to run Plex on it as well? My current WHS maxes out the CPU when I try to use it and watch a movie with my cell phone.

I don't think anyone here has tried it personally... but NewOrlnsDukie plans on giving it a go... Maybe he will chime in about his Plex experience soon..

Get one before they are gone! You will not regret it!

~ Swearengen
post #105 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 PM

I plan on trying out Plex on mine too. Unfortunately I won't have time to do the mods for a bit, so it's going to be a while before I can say how well it works, but I definitely will when I do. On another note, Tamsolutions sounds like they have gotten a good bit of business from this thread. I linked this thread to Jason there and he said he might post...so maybe some direct contact? Hopefully he does...they have been great to do business with so far.
post #106 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

This is why I plan on changing out the CPU, and maybe adding a 2nd. If I use this a my main Plex machine, it's gonna need more power to transcode for iOS without hiccups.
post #107 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This server has only one dual core Xeon on it - you'd have to compare the specs of the board and that processor to your current setup to see if it's more powerful than what you have now. However, the guy is also selling a set of quad core Xeon processors for $75 that will fit in that motherboard. Buy a couple of heatsink/fan combos and I think you'll have all the processing power you'd need.
post #108 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday View Post

I plan on trying out Plex on mine too. Unfortunately I won't have time to do the mods for a bit, so it's going to be a while before I can say how well it works, but I definitely will when I do. On another note, Tamsolutions sounds like they have gotten a good bit of business from this thread. I linked this thread to Jason there and he said he might post...so maybe some direct contact? Hopefully he does...they have been great to do business with so far.

Strongly agree with the bolded.
post #109 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

This is why I plan on changing out the CPU, and maybe adding a 2nd. If I use this a my main Plex machine, it's gonna need more power to transcode for iOS without hiccups.

I don't think you will have a problem transcoding video with twelve cores of processing power!!!! biggrin.gif

~ Swearengen
post #110 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 43
After agonizing over whether to drop the money on the mods for this chassis after seeing your success, I decided to try one last quieting option - an inline resistor to bring down the speed of the PSU fans. So I yanked one of the PSUs, disassembled it, unplugged the fans, and wired them up to an old AT PSU for easier testing purposes. Unfortunately it appears that they just won't operate with less than 12V, and they are 38mm fans, which is not an easy size to locate cheap, quiet replacements for. Guess I'll have to take the plunge on modifying the case when I redo my server rack.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what other folks here do with these servers.
post #111 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just another FYI... Someone asked earlier about the wattage this machine uses... I am currently using SnapRAID to right a parity drive for my 16 2TB Hitachis... My UPS says it is drawing ~235w of power... So... not bad at all.

~ Swearengen
post #112 of 2270 Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Well you guys all but convinced me. I was going to build an UnRaid Norco 20 drive system, but this seems too good to pass up, for less than just the case. I emailed them to see if they have the AMD version available. I am hoping they do.
post #113 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
When I ordered mine they replied the AMD units were sold out. I've got a couple of PCI-e Areca RAID cards that I'd like to use, but can't in the PCI-X motherboard this comes with. But I think I'll give the supplied cards a try to see how they perform. If not, well, it's cheap enough for just the case alone!
post #114 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 AM

Litlgi,

Which version do you have? The xeon or the option? Sounds like you may have the xeon, if so any downside you have with not having the PCI-E slots?
post #115 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

When I ordered mine they replied the AMD units were sold out. I've got a couple of PCI-e Areca RAID cards that I'd like to use, but can't in the PCI-X motherboard this comes with. But I think I'll give the supplied cards a try to see how they perform. If not, well, it's cheap enough for just the case alone!

Bummer... sorry you couldn't get an AMD with PCI-e... I knew they would go quickly.

Also... the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards are not designed for any sort of RAID other than supporting a software RAID setup.

~ Swearengen
post #116 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bummer... sorry you couldn't get an AMD with PCI-e... I knew they would go quickly.
Also... the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards are not designed for any sort of RAID other than supporting a software RAID setup.

There is NOTHING wrong with the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards. They are the workhorses of the Supermicro line. They are quite fast and have never given me an ounce of trouble with any drives.
post #117 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Litlgi,
Which version do you have? The xeon or the option? Sounds like you may have the xeon, if so any downside you have with not having the PCI-E slots?

I was fortunate enough to get the AMD version. I only wanted it for the option of using two low wattage, six core processors! biggrin.gif

To be honest... I have not used the PCI-E slots yet... 3.0Gbps is plenty quick enough for my needs... and since the server can be run headless... I may never use the PCI-E.

I have also ordered the XEON version as well... I plan on making a completely different set of modifications to this machine. But these new mods will be mostly software related.

I can't wait to test out my ideas...

I will share more soon.

~ Swearengen
post #118 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I was fortunate enough to get the AMD version. I only wanted it for the option of using two low wattage, six core processors! biggrin.gif
To be honest... I have not used the PCI-E slots yet... 3.0Gbps is plenty quick enough for my needs... and since the server can be run headless... I may never use the PCI-E.
I have also ordered the XEON version as well... I plan on making a completely different set of modifications to this machine. But these new mods will be mostly software related.
I can't wait to test out my ideas...
I will share more soon.

Can't wait to hear what you have planned. I am picking up something tomorrow. Hoping they have the AMD, but I guess if not, and there isn't any real need for the PCI-E slots, I guess I can live with a Quad Core biggrin.gif or would it be dual Quad core...
post #119 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can buy a lot of 3 3Ware true hardware RAID cards from the guy for $20, if you think there's an issue with the Supermicro cards (which are perfectly fine, IMHO).
post #120 of 2270 Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you just wuss out??? smile.gif
If you want to get rid of the 60mm jet engine fans... you could attach the 80mms you purchased with two of these: http://www.xoxide.com/60-80-fan-adapter.html
Here is a pic of what I had planned on doing, before deciding the PSUs were also way to loud.

I sorta did.redface.gif

That being said, I have all the components for the upgrade, and will certainly do it at some point. But I've had the server going for almost a week now, and not a single complaint from the fam.

I ordered the 2 six-core 2419's, and my first orders of business are:

1) trying to get them to work. I don't know how exactly I'll flash the BIOS firmware right now such that the mobo will take the 6-core CPU's. The method I saw on the lime-tech msg board (involving using something from Windows 98?) makes me a tad confused. I'm sure I'll get it done, but I wish updating the BIOS were a little less annoying -- edit: got this one done finallycool.gif

2) getting RDC to work w/ WHS. My only Windows HTPC is a Home Premium build, and it doesn't have RDC. The Windows RDC I have on my macs is, for some reason, not working for the server -- edit: fixed this one!!

So, right now, I'm going one issue at a time on the software. Once that's done, then I can start playing around more with modifications.

One disaster at a time...biggrin.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page