Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 2270 Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubboxster View Post

Any news from TAMS? I've been waiting for 1 server myself from them......
The tip of the server iceberg has arrived today....

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2270 Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 137
By my count there's at least 96 servers in that photo (32 per pallet). That should cut the waiting list down a bit.wink.gif
post #1263 of 2270 Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

By my count there's at least 96 servers in that photo (32 per pallet). That should cut the waiting list down a bit.wink.gif

Like I said that is just the tip of the iceberg... 5 - 6 more shipments are due to arrive!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #1264 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Hmm, this server has piqued my interest. smile.gif I haven't read the entire 43-page thread, but my current media server I have now is in an Antec 300 mid-tower case with only a few drives right now running unRAID. I was thinking about upgrading the case to a more rack-mountable case where, once I build a rack, can install it there and will make it easy to add drives as the need arises.

I already have an AMD based MB in my current server which has ran flawlessly since last summer when I built it. I am guessing that this server from TAMS has its own server MB. Seemingly as this case has a long waiting list it may be a long while before I could even get one....it must be that good.

I'll have to read more about this case. smile.gif

Edit: My main intended use for the 4U case, depending on the cost would be primarily to use as a media server to house all of my BD rips, TV Shows, full quality audio as well as PC backups as needed. OS I plan to run on it would be unRAID since it has been pretty stable to run on my smaller server setup. I anticipate in having lots of media over time so I think looking into a 24-bay setup would be ideal.

Now if I can see about finding or buying a rack to house the server in......
post #1265 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Hmm, this server has piqued my interest. smile.gif I haven't read the entire 43-page thread, but my current media server I have now is in an Antec 300 mid-tower case with only a few drives right now running unRAID. I was thinking about upgrading the case to a more rack-mountable case where, once I build a rack, can install it there and will make it easy to add drives as the need arises.

I already have an AMD based MB in my current server which has ran flawlessly since last summer when I built it. I am guessing that this server from TAMS has its own server MB. Seemingly as this case has a long waiting list it may be a long while before I could even get one....it must be that good.

I'll have to read more about this case. smile.gif

Edit: My main intended use for the 4U case, depending on the cost would be primarily to use as a media server to house all of my BD rips, TV Shows, full quality audio as well as PC backups as needed. OS I plan to run on it would be unRAID since it has been pretty stable to run on my smaller server setup. I anticipate in having lots of media over time so I think looking into a 24-bay setup would be ideal.

Now if I can see about finding or buying a rack to house the server in......
The thread is definitely worth the read. I passed it by many times before investigating what it was all about (I got the fever about 3 pages in). My server is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm also running unRAID as a media server, as are many of us here, but mine's in an Antec 900 case with four Supermicro 5-in-3 SATA backplanes that house a total of 20 drives (one backplane sits outside on the desk). Unless you have a need to rack mount multiple items you really don't need rack. You can just sit it on a desk or small table for easy access.
post #1266 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll have to read more about this case.

I think most people here are using these machines for exactly the same purpose as you... Media servers! biggrin.gif I too was looking to expand my 8 bay home server at the time when I stumble on this steal of a server on ebay! That is why I started this thread.

As far as a waiting list... there still is one... but that will end shortly... This total amount of servers to arrive in this shipment are in the hundreds. Unless people start ordering 20 at time... there should be plenty left, even after the current waiting list is fulfilled.

If you are handy with some basic tools and have the willingness to modify these commercial servers for you personal home use... this is a deal you won't want to pass up.

All the information about how I modified the server case is in the first post as well as the typical specs on the hardware they include... it is unlikely that the specs on the new batch of servers is going to change that much.

But if you have any questions... feel free to ask... I will be glad to help.

~ Swearengen
post #1267 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Has anyone updated the HSF on their Intel Xeon CPU that came with there sever? I am looking to quiet mine down and was just curious what others may be using,.. Thanks

~ Swearengen
post #1268 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11
I plan on reading through as much of this thread as possible, but I was hoping I could get a few questions answered now.

Can I load WHS on this w/ PLEX?

WIll this server be able to fully transcode plex streams?

How do these processors compare to units like the new I5 3750?

Thanks in advance for anybody who helps.
post #1269 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

I think most people here are using these machines for exactly the same purpose as you... Media servers! biggrin.gif I too was looking to expand my 8 bay home server at the time when I stumble on this steal of a server on ebay! That is why I started this thread.

As far as a waiting list... there still is one... but that will end shortly... This total amount of servers to arrive in this shipment are in the hundreds. Unless people start ordering 20 at time... there should be plenty left, even after the current waiting list is fulfilled.

If you are handy with some basic tools and have the willingness to modify these commercial servers for you personal home use... this is a deal you won't want to pass up.

All the information about how I modified the server case is in the first post as well as the typical specs on the hardware they include... it is unlikely that the specs on the new batch of servers is going to change that much.

But if you have any questions... feel free to ask... I will be glad to help.

This is awesome....i've always wanted a server based case for the sole purpose in being a media server....the Norco cases alone were expensive, and that's just for the case alone with no guts. I'm very handy with tools so making whatever mods are needed shouldn't be a problem.

I'll call the number on the first page of the thread and get more info. Thanks for the help, may have more questions soon! smile.gif
post #1270 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The Supermicro cases require little or no modifications, as indicated in the first post of the thread. You will probably want to swap out the power supplies and fans for something a bit quieter. I've already ordered new fans and I have a power supply from my existing server that will go into the Supermicro case. I've also purchased a pair of 4GB memory sticks to use in place of the 4x2GB DIMMS as I understand it may help save energy costs by minimizing the number of DIMMS installed. The only other change may be using a different HSF, but I'll wait until the server arrives before making that call.
post #1271 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

I plan on reading through as much of this thread as possible, but I was hoping I could get a few questions answered now.

Can I load WHS on this w/ PLEX?

WIll this server be able to fully transcode plex streams?

How do these processors compare to units like the new I5 3750?

Thanks in advance for anybody who helps.

I think Assassin is the guy you want to talk too. Other members have asked similar questions... and he supplied the answers.

~ Swearengen
post #1272 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Just called and got my name on the list! biggrin.gif Talked to a very nice lady that mentioned that there's well over 100 on the list right now so I'll get an email soon with the info on the systems, specs and the pricing (which I know is on the first page of the thread). Shipping to where I am is pretty reasonable for $70 to MI.

Now the next question I have, between the dual-core and the quad-core, would it be better to go with the quad version? I know that serving files really isn't CPU intensive, so if the dual-core version will still serve my needs, then that's all I would really need. But wanted to get more insight on that. For awhile I had put upgrading the server on the back burner but this now has put it back on the front. I can tell the fever is really heating up now on this server deal! biggrin.gif
post #1273 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

The Supermicro cases require little or no modifications, as indicated in the first post of the thread. You will probably want to swap out the power supplies and fans for something a bit quieter. I've already ordered new fans and I have a power supply from my existing server that will go into the Supermicro case. I've also purchased a pair of 4GB memory sticks to use in place of the 4x2GB DIMMS as I understand it may help save energy costs by minimizing the number of DIMMS installed. The only other change may be using a different HSF, but I'll wait until the server arrives before making that call.

Are they ECC RAM DIMMS? Some Supermicro board and processor combos are only compatible with ECC. Then there is the whole unbuffered/registered thing.

post #1274 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Let me know when you get yours in, I look forward to seeing more about it! smile.gif
post #1275 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Are they ECC RAM DIMMS? Some Supermicro board and processor combos are only compatible with ECC. Then there is the whole unbuffered/registered thing.

AMD Board requires : DDR2 800/667/533/400 MHz Reg. ECC SDRAM 72-bit, 240-pin gold-plated DIMMs
Intel Board requires : 667 / 533MHz FB-DIMM (Fully Buffered DIMM) ECC DDR2 SDRAM 72-bit, 240-pin gold-plated DIMMs

~ Swearengen
post #1276 of 2270 Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I forget off the top of my head. I looked on the Supermicro website and found the list of compatible RAM. Click on the link for the motherboard in the first post and it will take you to the description page on the Supermicro website. There's a link to the Tested Memory List under the Links & Resources list in the upper right corner of the page. I just copied the part numbers for the 4GB DIMMS into the ebay search function and found some listed. I got two 4GB DIMMS for $40 shipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Now the next question I have, between the dual-core and the quad-core, would it be better to go with the quad version?
Go with the dual core CPU. If you want to upgrade to the quad core you can get one on ebay for less than the $50 extra TAMS will charge you for the quad core server.
post #1277 of 2270 Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, in reading some of the earlier posts in the thread, it looks like the common upgrades are the fans. I would like to know, though I have read the server will be fine to use as is but I would like to quiet the server as much as possible so good chance I will need to replace the fans. What are some of the other necessary mods that may be needed, since I have read about drilling holes and dealing with the MB tray?

If there are extra parts that I would need to order to make this mod complete, I can work on that until I get my server so that I will have everything on hand to get it up and running. Having server-grade components will ensure this server will last a very long time. Has anyone who has this server used unRAID on it (which i already have a current license for) and works reliably?
post #1278 of 2270 Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I got mine a couple of weeks ago and the migration of my Unraid drives to the Supermicro server couldn't have gone much smoother. I set the mobo to boot from the Unraid flash drive and made it removable. Then I plugged in the Unraid hard drives (including a new parity and other drives) and rebuilt parity. Done!

I have all 24 bays occupied. It's in the basement, completely unmodified, while I try to find the time to replace the noisy power supplies. It's significantly faster than my old Unraid server.
AVTechMan likes this.

Joe Clark

post #1279 of 2270 Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

My new Supermicro server arrived a few hours ago. What's funny is that the UPS guy and the USPS mail carrier arrived at exactly the same time. In fact, they even stopped to chat with each other before making their deliveries, which annoyed the heck out of me because I was in the house salivating and getting impatient. The server was delivered by UPS and the memory and fans I bought on ebay came in the mail simultaneously. Talk about timing! biggrin.gif Unfortunately, one of my new fans was damaged in the mail so I couldn't get them all installed. Did I mention that TAMS did an outstanding job of packing the server? They used form-fitting foam all around the case so it was completely surrounded. They also used a strong, heavy-duty box. I just love a good packing job!

First thing I did after unpacking the server was to pull out the power supplies and PSU tray along with the control board assembly. Unplugging the Molex connectors from the backplanes was lots of fun (not!). The SATA cables will definitely require some better cable management. I figure I'll pull the fan panel out to tidy up the cables. I need to go back and study the photos in an earlier post where someone did an outstanding job of cable management. I want to note which SATA cables are connected between which backplane ports and which SATA controller card ports. I'll make a table and post it when I get them sorted out in case anyone else is interested. It should make troubleshooting a bit easier down the road.

My server didn't have the air shroud, but I forget if that was part of the Supermicro model or the AIC. No big deal either way. It does allow me more choices for HSF fans to replace the Foxconn unit that came with it. I still haven't powered it up yet, but that's going to have to wait until I can install another PSU. There are a few extra connections on the motherboard I'm not used to seeing so I need to read through the manual before I go much further. I won't get a chance to do much more until the weekend anyway. With luck, I should have it up and running by Sunday with unRAID.
post #1280 of 2270 Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Go with the dual core CPU. If you want to upgrade to the quad core you can get one on ebay for less than the $50 extra TAMS will charge you for the quad core server.

I picked up the AMD Opteron 2419 EE (6 cores) on ebay for $25. The computer runs so much snappier now when having multiple apps open.

I did not change the CPU Cooler as i cannot hear it outside the case.
post #1281 of 2270 Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 AM

how did you guys get yours? I have not heard anything from TAMS. Should I give them a call ?
post #1282 of 2270 Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I just sent them an e-mail requesting to be put on the waiting list, but many have called them on the phone and spoken with them in person. When their latest shipment arrived I had apparently moved up high enough on the list to be included. They sent me an e-mail asking if I was still interested with the prices and availability of the various configurations. I replied and told them which one I wanted. They sent me an invoice the following week and I paid via PayPal. That was followed up with an e-mail containing the tracking number. I never heard from TAMS after sending them my request to be put on the waiting list until I was notified that they had units available for purchase.
post #1283 of 2270 Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 10
Captain Video,

I read your email several times and trying to figure out what to do based on what you said.

I emailed them yesterday and got a response saying I was on the list and will be sending me available configurations as they become available.

Based on your email should I call them to bumped up on the list? Or, I am all set and just wait for an email to place an order?
post #1284 of 2270 Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Calling or e-mailing them won't get you moved up on the list. They sell the servers on a first come, first served basis so you'll just have to wait your turn. Lucky for you, it sounds like they'll be able to fill the backlog of orders with the upcoming shipments. Just sit tight and wait until they contact you. It will be worth the wait.
post #1285 of 2270 Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just sent them an e-mail requesting to be put on the waiting list, but many have called them on the phone and spoken with them in person. When their latest shipment arrived I had apparently moved up high enough on the list to be included. They sent me an e-mail asking if I was still interested with the prices and availability of the various configurations. I replied and told them which one I wanted. They sent me an invoice the following week and I paid via PayPal. That was followed up with an e-mail containing the tracking number. I never heard from TAMS after sending them my request to be put on the waiting list until I was notified that they had units available for purchase.

+1

I called earlier this week and talked to Andy, and had my name added to the list. So all that's left now is the waiting game until my name comes up. As long as you are on the list, then you're all set! I already got my money set aside for my server when they become available.
post #1286 of 2270 Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Fired up the server this morning using a spare power supply and it started right up with no problems. I have no fans or hard drives installed yet, but for initial testing purposes I don't need them yet. I pulled the fan wall and the controller cards with the SATA cables and started putting everything back together with some sort of cable management. I went back and looked at the server pictures posted earlier in this thread that had the nice cable management as a reference. I quickly realized that it was the AIC chassis and not the Supermicro and that it also had the Norco fan wall installed. The poster also had not connected all 24 bays to the SATA controllers so there were fewer cables installed.

The Supermicro server had virtually no cable management implemented in the installation, although the cables from each controller were installed such that all eight cables connected to the backplane in two groups of four consisting of two horizontal rows (i.e., the bottom two rows connected to one controller and the next two rows connected to another, etc.). This resulted in SATA cables criss-crossing in a complete rat's nest of wiring. It created a massive jumble of cables between the backplane and the fan wall that could only hinder cooling of the hard drives. I tied them together in four groups of six cables each and connected them to each vertical row on the backplane. This resulted in the cables being connected more randomly than I would have liked, but I can assign the drives however I want in unRAID and retain the original configuration. I just need to map the slots vs the drive assignments so I know where each drive is located in relation to the unRAID web display.

I got all of the cables installed and tidied up. I need to run out to the store and get some stick-on bumpers and Velcro for the PSU. I'd rather use Velcro than double-sided tape for the PSU installation in case I need to pull the PSU for some reason. Once I get the PSU installed I'll install the fan wall with the new fans. I did power it up with my unRAID flash drive installed and it booted into unRAID with no problems. I went into the BIOS and set everything back to default and then configured the USB flash drive as the 1st boot device. It shows up under hard drives and not removable drives in the BIOS listing. It did boot a lot slower than my current unRAID server, but that's because I had updated the motherboard and CPU to a newer AMD F1 socket and Liano CPU. I may decide to beef up the CPU down the road, but one thing at a time. I did install the two 4GB DIMMS in place of the four 2GB sticks it came with and they appear to be compatible and working fine. The supplied CPU HSF wasn't all that loud so I'll probably stick with it, at least for the time being.

I took pics along the way so I'll post them when I'm done, assuming I can figure out how to do it.wink.gif
post #1287 of 2270 Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Finished installing everything and it couldn't have gone smoother. I spent most of the afternoon literally screwing my brains out. I had to transfer 20 drives from my old server drive trays to the new server trays. Fortunately, my old Supermicro 5-in-3 backplanes use the exact same tray screws as the new server so I just used the same screws to secure the drives to the new trays. I then had to install all of the new fans and the power supply. I attached extra large silicon bumpers on the bottom so the PSU would be high enough to clear the guide pins for the old PSU tray. I also did not have to do anything to the raised slots that secured the old PSU housing. As promised, here's some photos.

Here's the old server.

Here's the new server with the fan wall, fans, cables, and SATA controllers removed.

Here's the first controller wired up to the first vertical set of drives.

2nd vertical set of drives wired up.

Another angle showing a bit of cable management.

Third set of drives.

Same thing, different angle.

Final set of drives.

Again, different angle.

Fan wall reinstalled, but no fans yet.

Tested unRAID boot drive. So far, so good.

Fans installed on fan wall. Things getting a bit tight up front. Take note that I tried my best to keep the fans clear of the slots in the backplane to allow maximum airflow from the fans with minimal obstructions. I tied the cable bundles to the metal to keep them from changing position.

Another shot of the fan wall showing how little clearance there is.

Power supply installed. This is a Corsair modular PSU so I was able to connect the 4-pin Molex connectors to the backplanes and leave the PSU connector free until the PSU was in place. Having a modular PSU really helps keep the installation much cleaner.

Next step was to schlep the server case to it's permanent home in place of the old server. Using a screen printout of the previous unRAID configuration, I inserted each drive in the designated slot based on the numbering of the SATA ports on the backplane (i.e. parity drive or drive 0 went into slot 0, etc.). The actual drive designations were going to be new but I figured I could simply go into the unRAID GUI and assign the drives in their original designations. To my surprise, when I booted up the server and checked the GUI, unRAID automatically assigned the drives based on the configuration file and I was up and running without doing anything further.

I may have mentioned that one of my new fans was damaged in shipping so I only have four new fans to install. I daisy-chained them off the CPU fan connector to use the PWM function and also connected the single wire from each fan to an empty fan connector. I'm not sure if you need to do this for each fan since they're all connected together, but it probably can't hurt. In any case, I left one of the original rear case fans connected. That one single fan was so loud it drowned out all of the other case fans and CPU fan combined. No wonder everyone has been so adamant about replacing the fans. I can only imagine what this thing sounded like with all case fans plus the PSU fans running. eek.gif

Although the server comes with all the SATA cables, If I had to do it over again from scratch I'd consider using shorter cables for the bays closest to the controller cards. It would make for an even tidier appearance and much easier cable management. When removing and installing the fan wall, a screwdriver with a magnetic tip is a must.

One thing I don't like is the power cable hanging out of the opening where the old PSUs once resided. I want to install a plate over the opening and install a switched IEC receptacle on the back panel.I've got tons of extra IEC power cables so it would be simple to make a short patch cable to go from the PSU to the receptacle. That would allow me to switch the PSU on or off without opening the server case. My main concern is that there may be sharp edges around the opening that could cut the power cord.

Update: I had originally connected two of the new fans to the two 4-pin CPU connectors and then daisy-chained the fan wall fans plus the CPU on one and the two rear fans on the other. I connected the plug with the single yellow wire from each fan to an open fan header. I kept getting a flashing red LED on the front of the server, indicating a fan failure. I also noticed that all of my drives were registering temps about 10 degrees C higher than they did with the old server. I reconfigured the fans so just the 4-pin connector from each fan is connected to a separate 3-pin header, just like the stock fans were. The fan failure LED has stopped flashing so that's one problem solved. With the drive temps being as hot as they are I'd prefer that the fans keep running full tilt as long as the server is on so the loss of PWM functionality doesn't bother me. I noticed that it was extremely warm in the area of the motherboard when I removed the case so I'm now leaning towards replacing the CPU HSF. I've got a Big Shuriken sitting on the shelf looking for a good home so it seems like the perfect candidate. OTOH, I also have a Zalman CNPS-9500 in the old server that I may use since it has a vertical fan that will be directly in line with the other fans, further aiding in a direct air flow through the case.
post #1288 of 2270 Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM

post #1289 of 2270 Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Further thoughts: The Arctic Cooling fans I installed are relatively quiet, but they're just not pulling enopugh air through the drives to keep them as cool as I'd like. I think I indicated previously that I'm seeing drive temps on the order of 10 degrees C higher than my previous setup. Quiet is nice, but cool is better when it comes to servers. 80mm fans are simply too small to provide enough air flow at low rpm. The only options are to use the same size fans at higher speed, resulting in considerably more noise, or go with larger fans.

The stock fan wall presents a bit of a dilemma in the way it's designed as well as the proximity to the backplane. The outside dimension of the current fan housings is about the same size, if not slightly larger, than bare 92mm fans, making them the obvious choice for replacement with minimal modifications. The problem arises in mounting the fans since they would likely have to be attached to the side of the fan wall closest to the backplane. This would make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to reinstall the fan wall after mounting the fans since they would be blocking the screw locations at the base of the fan wall. Another issue arises from the fact that the fans are pulling in air from the front of the rack and through the drive bays. There is now a void on the left side of the fan wall after removing the stock PSUs, creating a massive air leak and reducing the amount of air being drawn through the case from the front. This could be easily remedied by installing a plate to act as a bulkhead over this space. I'm also considering the addition of a plate over the top of the space between the backplane and the fan wall, thereby creating a closed space between them and providing maximum air flow through the drive bays. It would also allow me to operate the server with the top cover removed.

There is a knee wall at the base of the fan wall that would make it extremely difficult to install a Norco fan wall, although I haven't completely ruled that out yet. 120mm fans would be ideal for this setup since they could provide adequate air flow while running at a low rpm. I'll have to study the case a bit more to see if this is even feasible due to the minimal clearance between the knee wall and the motherboard. I think I can pick up the fan wall on ebay for about $15 so I may go ahead and order one and see if I can work something out.

I picked up a used AMD Opteron 2384 2.7GHz Quad Core CPU on ebay for only $14.50 plus tax. I'll be curious to see if my boot up times improve significantly, although I'm not expecting miracles. The server hardware is considerably slower than what I was using in my last unRAID setup, but there are pros and cons for each configuration. I haven't tested the streaming capabilities of the server to the extreme yet, but so far it seems to be working nicely. Overall, I'm quite pleased with my purchase.
post #1290 of 2270 Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Thanks for reporting your results. You've done a lot of work, and it's good to read your impressions about the mods you made, pro and con. I'm an Unraid user, too, and the Supermicro server I got from TAMS is an upgrade for me. Parity checks happen faster than they did before, and overall I find it a more capable box. So far, mine is completely unmodified - e.g. LOUD! But the SM server also runs considerably cooler than my old server. I haven't seen a drive temp over 30C, no matter how much activity I've thrown at it. And that's for the drives that tend to run hot. Most are several degrees cooler. For that reason, I'm reluctant to change anything about it internally. Since it's in my basement, I'm wondering if there's a way to bring down the sound level so I don't have to make internal changes. I added some thick felt/foam bumpers to the bottom and it helped a bit. And I'm pretty sure I can quiet it a little by taking it off the table where it sits now. It's acting as a sounding board and reflecting the sound upwards more than it should.

Does anyone have any suggestions for bringing down the noise without internal modding? I have a whole basement to work with, and it doesn't have to be completely silent. If I had to, I could live with it the way it is, so cutting the noise in half might be enough. I was thinking of a sound insulated enclosure of some kind, like a hush box for a home theater projector. But I haven't built one of those, either. Any thoughts?

Joe Clark

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page