Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2270 Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

I am hoping to have mine up and running next week or so. Does anyone know of a good PCI-E adapter to 8 pin motherboard?? Also for the other poster who is getting the AIC i just mounted my PSU and this should give you a good idea dimensionally why the PSU is such a pain in the but.

Single PSU for 48-drives?!?! Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Nope Dual PSU's will be put in place each at about 750 watts with 120mm fans in them. and one or two 120 or 140mm fans will be in between them. There will also be six 140mm fans together to make up the upper and lower fan wall, as well as a 200 or 250mm fan put into the top cover.
post #1623 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

How did you cut out the bottom of the case? I am still debating if I want to do it.
post #1624 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM

I use a grinder with a cut wheel on it, I would put painters tape over the back plane, but it never got hot and I positioned the guard so it didn't throw any sparks on it. was easier than I thought. 48 bays and I am going to put two blue rays on the top of it. I don't think ill ever need a bigger server space wise and I am going to put two quad core cpu's in it.
post #1625 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

I am hoping to have mine up and running next week or so. Does anyone know of a good PCI-E adapter to 8 pin motherboard?? Also for the other poster who is getting the AIC i just mounted my PSU and this should give you a good idea dimensionally why the PSU is such a pain in the but.

That's a very interesting design! Yeah my next server that's coming is I believe the AIC one, but the server I have now is the SM case. Either way you'll have one beast of a system once its all together. I haven't decided on what to do PSU-wise with the AIC once it arrives but i'll look it over and see what options can be had.
post #1626 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use a grinder with a cut wheel on it, I would put painters tape over the back plane, but it never got hot and I positioned the guard so it didn't throw any sparks on it. was easier than I thought. 48 bays and I am going to put two blue rays on the top of it. I don't think ill ever need a bigger server space wise and I am going to put two quad core cpu's in it.

I have a grinder too, small one 4.5" I think, and it seemed too big to get inside of the case. Maybe I didn't try it enough. I was thinking about getting some of those new metal grinder wheels for my dremmel and see if they can do it. 6 small 1.5" for less than $30 so even I go through all of them its not that big of an investment.
post #1627 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 PM

I measured the space I wanted to cut out and did it from the bottom outside super easy if you flip it over and draw the square you want to cut out mine is the 4.5" one too, worked amazing. the metal is kind of thick for a dremel I think.
post #1628 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I measured the space I wanted to cut out and did it from the bottom outside super easy if you flip it over and draw the square you want to cut out mine is the 4.5" one too, worked amazing. the metal is kind of thick for a dremel I think.

Now why didn't I think about that (turning it over)?!? May have to do that. I am going to leave a small section for the PSU instead of trying to secure it with zip ties...although that may change once I start cutting.
post #1629 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 04:37 PM

i left about 1.5 - 2 inches all the way around but the stands off welded into the side of the case screwed up my plans, once i have the back wall cut out from the top i am not using the zip ties will no longer be there. Also i used a heavy duty double sided sticky tape to keep the unit from sliding around. The only issue i am having right now is figuring out the Virtual Machine and NIC issue.
post #1630 of 2270 Old 06-22-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW... anyone encountered any issues with the SM X7DBE-X running 6 SAT8 cards at the same time? The X7SBE has four slots and it would choke when you added the fourth SAT8 card.
post #1631 of 2270 Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

BTW... anyone encountered any issues with the SM X7DBE-X running 6 SAT8 cards at the same time? The X7SBE has four slots and it would choke when you added the fourth SAT8 card.

I use 4 pci-X sata card on x7dbe-x, run perfectly... with ZoL (ZFS on Linux) on centos 6.3.

Slot 2/3/6 are pci-x 133MHz
Solt 4/5 are pci-x 100MHz

slot 4/5/6 share pci-e 8x via PXH multiplexer.

pci-x 133MHz is 1060MB/s
pci-x 100M Hz is 800MB/s
pci-e 8x is 2000MB/s

you can use:

* slot 1 100MHz(800MB/s) and slot 2 133MHz(1060MB/s), where multiplexing with pci-e 8x (2000MB/s); 1060+800+ multiplexing overhead ~ 2000MB/s
* slot 3 133MH, connects to ESB2/south Bridge, support by south bridge.
* slot 6 133MHz and slot 4 or 5 100MHz (since 4,5, and 6 share the same PXH multiplexing, where do not have enough B/W for all 3 slots);
slot 6 1060MB/s + port 4 or 5 800MB/s +overhead ~ = 2000MB/s

the maximum are 5 slot where three 133MHz( good for SAT8) and two 100MHz("ok" for SAT8)..

post #1632 of 2270 Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

My AIC server arrived today! Weighed in at 76 pounds, this thing is a beast. Felt heavier than the SM server I have lol. Did the initial power on and everything powered up like it should. Don't have much time to work on it now as I have to get ready for work (grr) but will play more with it later. Looks like I got the dark blue drive trays which I like, and seems to have side rail mounts.

post #1633 of 2270 Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:

That is the SM case. I just moved the drives from my previous AIC case.

The 140mm fans are these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233031

I just finished the AIC case but did something completely different but the SM is a lot easier to MOD. It can be done in a couple of hours and the only thing that needs to be replaced is the fans and the PSU. Easy, peezy.

Thanks Killroy, just ordered the fans. Will have to scroll back to your post to figureo ut how to mount them. I haven't even taken my server out of the box yet. Hope it's simple to remove the existing fans...
post #1634 of 2270 Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

My AIC server arrived today! Weighed in at 76 pounds, this thing is a beast. Felt heavier than the SM server I have lol. Did the initial power on and everything powered up like it should. Don't have much time to work on it now as I have to get ready for work (grr) but will play more with it later. Looks like I got the dark blue drive trays which I like, and seems to have side rail mounts.

totally true, AIC is heavier than SM biggrin.gif.

you will have much work to do on AIC than SM..., I stripped down on bolt biggrin.gif due on forcing

I have the same model of HD trays, dark blue color.

for the rail mounts for the rack, it is not easy to find. I was unsuccessfully to find those rails frown.gif.
the easy solution is to use sturdy 1U tray since AIC is pretty heavy or put on the top of PSU at the bottom of the rack.
post #1635 of 2270 Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantalup View Post

totally true, AIC is heavier than SM biggrin.gif.

you will have much work to do on AIC than SM..., I stripped down on bolt biggrin.gif due on forcing

I have the same model of HD trays, dark blue color.

for the rail mounts for the rack, it is not easy to find. I was unsuccessfully to find those rails frown.gif.
the easy solution is to use sturdy 1U tray since AIC is pretty heavy or put on the top of PSU at the bottom of the rack.

Yeah, I had planned to get the 1U shelves for the servers, like Killroy has done for his. When I powered on the AIC, even though the fans (esp the 60mm ones) were loud, they weren't as bad as the ones in the SM case. Setting the fan control in BIOS to workstation mode to reduce the fan RPM's and with the door closed I couldn't hear the AIC that much anyway, so I may not worry about modding it too much. Besides, I plan to put both these servers in the utility room where it stays nice and cool (65 degree ambient temp) and can close the door to keep the noise at bay. I need to get a Kill-O-Watt meter so I can keep track of the power consumption.

Now its just the matter in what these servers will be in use for. smile.gif
post #1636 of 2270 Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally got all new cases built and on the rack. The AIC is sitting on the rack floor till I get the new 1U shelf. Space between the two top cases is for the keyboard shelf if I ever get one. The monitor will be moving to the front with a rack-mount.

post #1637 of 2270 Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

What a sick, sick sickness you have Killroy. I like it!! biggrin.gif

I take it the shelf you have the SM on is holding it pretty well? I just ordered one for mine yesterday from Provantage and should arrive on Monday. I need to order additional ones for my AV broadcast gear as well. Looks like to me you have nuts and bolts in that shelf. How do you have the other servers supported above the SM?
post #1638 of 2270 Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What a sick, sick sickness you have Killroy. I like it!! biggrin.gif

I take it the shelf you have the SM on is holding it pretty well? I just ordered one for mine yesterday from Provantage and should arrive on Monday. I need to order additional ones for my AV broadcast gear as well. Looks like to me you have nuts and bolts in that shelf. How do you have the other servers supported above the SM?

The 1U is rated for 200lbs (or so) and it doesn't even squeak with the SM fully loaded on it. It was a bit of a pain getting the bolts on since I couldn't get them to go through the front. If you notice the nuts are facing forward. I couldn't tighten them the other way. Not a big deal. Easy to adapt.

The Norco cases (top 3) are all supported via rails. The Norco rails are super cheap but they hold the weight fine. Just wish the would fit on the SM & AIC cases.
post #1639 of 2270 Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 1U is rated for 200lbs (or so) and it doesn't even squeak with the SM fully loaded on it. It was a bit of a pain getting the bolts on since I couldn't get them to go through the front. If you notice the nuts are facing forward. I couldn't tighten them the other way. Not a big deal. Easy to adapt.

The Norco cases (top 3) are all supported via rails. The Norco rails are super cheap but they hold the weight fine. Just wish the would fit on the SM & AIC cases.

I ordered some cage nuts and screws for the rack I built myself last weekend so once I get the shelf I will see how it will all go together. Yeah in lack of rails for the AIC and SM cases, the shelf will do just fine, besides its not like they will be moved on a regular basis.Glad to hear that the 1U shelf handles the weight with no issues.
post #1640 of 2270 Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ordered some cage nuts and screws for the rack I built myself last weekend so once I get the shelf I will see how it will all go together. Yeah in lack of rails for the AIC and SM cases, the shelf will do just fine, besides its not like they will be moved on a regular basis.Glad to hear that the 1U shelf handles the weight with no issues.

I should have bought some too but the ones that came with the shelf will do for now. I did have to go to Home Depot to find some M5 nuts since the shelf did not come with the nuts....WTF is up with that? You get bolts but no nuts.
post #1641 of 2270 Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I picked up a different Xeon 771 motherboard just to get VT-d hardware pass-through for ESXi and openindiana and it's working. I got to keep using the FB-DIMM ram and processors.

Can you tell us the Xeon 771 motherboard you picked?
post #1642 of 2270 Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM

Oh just read that it's the tyan mobo.
post #1643 of 2270 Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I picked up a different Xeon 771 motherboard just to get VT-d hardware pass-through for ESXi and openindiana and it's working. I got to keep using the FB-DIMM ram and processors.

Can you tell us the Xeon 771 motherboard you picked?

Can't recall, and right now all that gear is packed away until we move into the new house later this August. It was another supermicro model. I want to say X7DWE, as that is what I posted here on this thread some time ago: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative/480#post_22281069

These days I might lean toward just buying a new board with modern components instead of trying to hang onto the CPUs. New stuff packs a lot more bang for the buck and often uses QUITE a lot less power during actual use.
post #1644 of 2270 Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM

Looking at picking up one of the supermicro boxes, but I certainly don't have room for a full rack, and I'd like to tuck it away somewhere where the noise won't be too bothersome.

I came across 4u vertical mounts (and I've seen 6u as well) such as these.

I found some specs for a similar model, which states the shear strength at around 500lb, so I'm not worried about the unit falling off the wall, especially if I attach it into some 3/4" plywood lagged into studs.

I am however somewhat concerned about the ears of the SM server being able to hold the 100+ pounds of the loaded rig.

What do you guys think, will the server physically hold up to being suspended like this? It would be tremendously convenient if it would, but I've never heard of a 4u server being (or even attempted) mounted vertically with a bracket like this.
post #1645 of 2270 Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 AM

heat wise it would be no good, the heat would want to rise through the hard drives, while your fans are trying to push it out of the back, and in my opinion on the AIC case anyway no way would the ears hold it fully loaded.
post #1646 of 2270 Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get a couple heatsinks/fans for the SuperMicro? I bought a couple AMD 2419 and I can't find any recommendations for good and quiet heatsinks anywhere.

Also I saw something about needing heatsink retainer clips to put new heatsinks in. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1647 of 2270 Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
heat wise it would be no good, the heat would want to rise through the hard drives, while your fans are trying to push it out of the back, and in my opinion on the AIC case anyway no way would the ears hold it fully loaded.

I'm not that worried about the heat, with 140 noctua's in the wall it ought to be able to handle any excess heat pressure.

Are the supermicro cases more structurally sound?
post #1648 of 2270 Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get a couple heatsinks/fans for the SuperMicro? I bought a couple AMD 2419 and I can't find any recommendations for good and quiet heatsinks anywhere.

Also I saw something about needing heatsink retainer clips to put new heatsinks in. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Socket AM2 HSF's fit on these?

Looky here!
post #1649 of 2270 Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 PM

I thought having 3 140's would be awesome for a fan wall but i am using 3 cooler masters that flow 60 cfm each, i find once the cpus get warm and the case gets hot, the fans cannot keep up that well. I am going to add 2 200mm fans at the rear in the top cover and 2 120mm fans in the back wall. i am hoping to suck enough air out to help the fan wall suck in air easier.
post #1650 of 2270 Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Socket AM2 HSF's fit on these?

Yes. I have an AM2 HSF from an former AMD build that works just fine in my SM server.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page