Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #1981 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent2k6 View Post

Thanks alot for replying smile.gif

Actually the apartments here are very old, some from world war II, srs. So mine actually doesn't have breakers but power fuse or whatever they are called.

I guess if I can power the server and my PC, without any problems, then I assume it should be fine, right? Because if the PSU is 900, and I will probably get 650, it should be even better in terms of not blowing the fuse. I think the other power outlets that are on a different power fuse is at least 1-2 meters off the living room I think.

Also I have a DVI to VGA adapter but no VGA cable. And it seems like the VGA side of this adapter is female so I need a male to male VGA cable which is standard I guess. Do you know the best place to buy them? I guess monoprice would be good. But I want to try it tomorrow so I can make sure the server works and leave feedback on ebay.

Btw when I held down the power button of the server a couple seconds, it turned off as I expected but the PSU was still working. Is that normal? How do I turn off the PSUs? My PC turns off completely but not sure if it's different for servers.

Wow $300 is a lot for a PSU but I can see it. If I can catch a $99 deal that would be amazing smile.gif Are those platinum, 80+ gold, etc global standards for all PSUs?

Also with the HX850, do people still power the HDDs like you said, i.e. by using 1 power feed per 4 HDD? Also won't I need 6, since 6x4 = 24?

Your PC looks pretty good man. It's like those high end audio equipment but inside your PC smile.gif I never heard of that brand before you mentioned it. I always heard about corsair since a lot of people seem to mention it.

Thanks again smile.gif

Your PC won't draw more or less power based on your PSU size.

If you put a 1300 watt PSU instead of a 650watt PSU it would not draw twice as much more power. A little more for the 1300watt just because it's "wasting" a little more but the actual draw of your server is probably only a couple hundred watts with either PSU. It will never draw more than it needs. It will never (should never) need the maximum capacity of your PSU. Your server won't draw 650 watts because you put in a 650 watts PSU.
I hope this makes sense.

I am not sure why people would want that HX850 Corsair cool.gif You just do not need 12 SATA power feeds in a server. That's really a desktop PSU or workstation PSU. It would match up well in my desktop (instead of my Rosewill Lightning tongue.gif ) a lot better than it would in my Norco 20 bay server. My desktop is a CoolerMaster COSMOS II case, it hold's 14 HDD's and made to house multiple big GPU cards. That's a better fit for that Corsair, where I would actually power 12 HDD's directly with it.

$99 for the 800 watt Rosewill lightning is a nice PSU for that price. Most Rosewill tend to be a good value. NEWEGG owns ROSEWILL. It's Newegg's house brand. In the case of the Captstone and Lightning Rosewill models they are MFG by SuperFlower (the lightning is a nicer version of the SuperFlower Golden Green). Rosewill has an agreement with superflower- Exclusive. Superflower is a very good MFG of PSU but is not sold or distributed in the USA. That is Newegg's deal with them. Newegg = Superflower in USA, while superflower is big in other parts of world. They MFG the Rosewill and sell under that brand.

Lots of people think the "house brand" or "Rosewill" is crap stuff but actually Newegg's Rosewill line of products is pretty good in most cases. They are often good quality, and also a good value. It's not a famous brand like Seasonic or Corsair so that's why you probably never heard of them. Also they are only (basically only) sold by Newegg online. It's not usually a product you see at other retailers or places but lately I have seen it popping up on Amazon and a few other places so IDK ???

The "CAPSTONE" series from Rosewill are the step down (in price) and also OEM by Superflower. They come in 450/550/650 watt versions. You can get them MODULAR and NON MODULAR design too. (usually $10 difference or so) They are 80+ gold rated and run $50-$100. That's a better value and choice for you IMO.

The "Tachyon" and "Fortress" model lines are the 80 PLUS PLATINUM versions.

If you really needed more power you could step up to the HERCULES eek.gif

That bastard should be sure to blow your FUSES for you biggrin.gif
Vincent2k6 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks now I got it. My test wouldn't work unless I had all 24 drives then I guess.

That case looks amazing. I also use coolermaster but not that case. I didn't know they had 14 drive ones. Which mobo supports that many HDDs?

Do you use modular PSU?

Wow why the hell would one need 1600W? To power Ton'y Stark's arc reactor? smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.
post #1983 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks now I got it. My test wouldn't work unless I had all 24 drives then I guess.

That case looks amazing. I also use coolermaster but not that case. I didn't know they had 14 drive ones. Which mobo supports that many HDDs?

Do you use modular PSU?

Wow why the hell would one need 1600W? To power Ton'y Stark's arc reactor? smile.gif

Well if you needed it to double as a small ARC WELDER for body work or perhaps welding together a bicycle or go-cart frame ????

PSU / Arc Welder combo unit. tongue.gif

Honestly I don't know. 1600 watts is just plain stupid. It's not going to make sense so I don't try to make it. I bet that PSU could power 4 complete servers without any trouble.

Yes- the 1000 watt Rosewill Lightning I have in my desktop is modular. They only make the "lightning" in modular. Capstone is the series down that comes both modular and non modular.

I have this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182239

They have a $25 PROMO card and a $25 Instant (basically $50 off) right now. $169-$50 = $119. NICE PSU for $119 IMO. The modular on this model is superior to any others I have used before (I've use basically all of them). Very high quality screw on metal tips, full sleeve cables- extra thick gauge wires. You get a big bag of different wires- so you can use exactly what you want

Most builds you won't even use half of the wires provided, but the Modular Design makes it really cool- and highly customized. You can run 2 or 3 GPU cards, or 12 HDD's. You can run IDE power, or SATA power. Whatever you want. Not exactly needed for a server or HTPC though tongue.gif Handy if you want to RAID0 8 SSD's for your OS drive like JapanDave wink.gif He's got that silly desk case though, where the top of the desk is glass and displays your PC parts.

What coolermaster case you have ? I do like my COSMOS II. It's not for everyone (it's HUGE !) but it's the best case I've used (ever) [and I have used a lot ]

It's hard to tell how big it is in pictures. It does not do justice. A pure joy to build inside and modify.

That smaller case is a FULL TOWER ANTEC eek.gif and the one in the middle that also looks small is a 10 bay Ultra Tower Thermaltake Armor tongue.gif. Both look small.

I love the soft touch buttons and build in fan speed control and LED controls on top:

Back on topic,

This is really all you need to power 20 hard drives:

Where's the easy button ???

that was easy biggrin.gif
Vincent2k6 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1984 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 PM

That looks like a great deal but would you get it if you were me, since it's 1000W? smile.gif

Also not sure about norco's but did you not have an issue fitting this PSU to your server? Mine seems like very small judging from the enclosed section that holds the PSUs. And I know the PC PSUs are much bigger. I guess that's what the mods are for.

You said you upgraded your 80mm with a 120mm fan? Is that the one in the norco fan wall?

I think mine is Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced. When I bought mine, the guy said this is the best at the time, so I took it smile.gif

Your case does look pretty impressive. I think 14 HDDs is pretty good but if I can get my server running then I won't have to stick multiple HDDs to my case smile.gif

Btw what CPUs do you use for your servers?

That cable you posted in your last pic, is that the splitter? SO basically can you have 6 of the in a single cable? Or 3 max?

Thanks smile.gif
post #1985 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 PM

Liked: 23
I got mine all assembled and (almost) finished! I ordered two servers and later changed my mind about how I was going to use them, now I only need one of them instead of both. So I used the CPU and RAM from the second and put it all in one. I've got the first batch of drives installed and FlexRAID is currently doing parity calculations on the existing data (using 4PPU and 20DRU). It's maintaining a very respectable 42°C maximum temperature across all of the hard drives under the constant and heavy load of parity calculation. Taking the top off of the case for about 30 minutes to an hour shot the max temperature up to 49°C, so you really need to keep it sealed up to ensure there's air flowing through the hard drives. Once that parity calculation is done (by Saturday morning!) I will add the rest of the (blank/previously dedicated backup) drives to fill it up.

Empty!

Modded+Filled!

Almost fully populated!

I installed the Norco back window and 120mm fan window, and used some sound insulating foam I had laying around to fill in the gaps between the windows and the case walls. It'll absorb vibrations and marginally help with proper airflow.

Made a couple of holes on the back of the rear motherboard plate for the power and reset buttons.

I noticed the Northbridge heatsink was getting quite hot so I threw on a spare fan, 50mm I think it was. It's a very quiet fan and now the heatsink doesn't even feel warm to the touch.

Two 80mm Enermax Magma fans (34.16CFM @ 21dBA).

Three 120mm Cougar Vortex HDB fans (60.4CFM @ 17.7dBA).

I have a couple more things to do before I'll be satisfied that it's "done":
  • The Marvell chip on the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards get very hot (as in somewhat painful to touch), so I'm going to put a mini passive heatsink on each of those.
  • I'm ordering some new SATA cables in the proper lengths. The art of cable management has always eluded me, but the right length cables will help tremendously.
  • The Cougar fans need grills so they don't chop up the SATA cables. Or a finger.
  • I want to get a decent modular PSU and make my own power cables for the backplanes. I had made my own cables for the previous server case (LianLi PC-V2100), but those were all SATA connectors and that was well before modular PSUs were readily available.
  • I've already got two brand new Ikea Lack tables for this. This case is obviously far too heavy to mount underneath as most do when building a "LackRack". I'm stacking the tables and putting this on top of the bottom half. But first I need to install some case feet with felt bottoms so I can slide it in and out without scratching up the table.
  • I need an SSD for the OS drive and I'll probably get an adapter to install it in an empty PCI expansion slot. Someone in this thread did that, I don't recall who.
  • The CPU coolers are now the loudest individual part of this server so I might replace them with something quieter. It's fine for now as it's already a considerable amount quieter than my main PC right next to it.

A couple other notes...
  • *Some* of the AIC servers come with a AOC-SIMLC+ instead of an AOC-SIMLC as is listed on the auction page. The + version does support full KVM, so it's worth checking which IPMI card you got if you were interested in that feature.
  • Between the two servers I ordered I ended up with exactly 24 cracked drive trays. I put all the good ones in the case that I'm using. I contacted Tam Solutions asking if they had any available for sale and they wrote back saying they'd send me a whole set of 24 un-cracked ones for the cost of shipping, these people are great!
  • If anybody is looking to get even better cooling in here without sacrificing the silence, I'm almost positive that you could fit three 140mm fans on this Norco 120mm fan window. Using three slim 140mm to 120mm adapters, put the center fan on the back side of the window and the outer fans on the front side. You'll get even more airflow with less (or equal) sound volume.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #1986 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Hey Quarax, great pics mate smile.gif

That IDE cable for the OS drive, is it possible to use SATA? Or do you need to buy another card with SATA ports just to have SATA for your OS drive?

Also do you think SSD will make a difference for a server that's used for storage? I assume flexraid doesn't hit the OS drive as much? But not sure if you are using yours for other things.

Where did you get your norco fan wall?

Lastly what fans do you plan to use for your CPUs? I have to research this but since the CPUs are old, I thought you might already know good ones to use with this smile.gif

Actually do you plan to replace to CPUs with faster ones like 2.7Ghz?

Cheers mate smile.gif
post #1987 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Also not sure about norco's but did you not have an issue fitting this PSU to your server? Mine seems like very small judging from the enclosed section that holds the PSUs. And I know the PC PSUs are much bigger. I guess that's what the mods are for.

The Norco is a budget server chassis and comes with a more "proper" ATX layout so it fits an ATX power supply. These server cases are not designed for ATX power supplies, but they will fit. In the SuperMicro case (which I believe is the one you said you got?) you just need to remove the existing PSU and stick the ATX one to the side wall. In the AIC case, the motherboard is mounted right in the middle so there's no room for an ATX power supply, you need to buy the backwindow for a Norco case and mod it to fit the AIC.

Quote:

You said you upgraded your 80mm with a 120mm fan? Is that the one in the norco fan wall?

Norco cases come with a wall of four 80mm fans, and they sell separately a wall for three 120mm fans. That's what he was referring to.
Quote:

That cable you posted in your last pic, is that the splitter? SO basically can you have 6 of the in a single cable? Or 3 max?

Most PSU cables have three or four connectors max, but you can add Y splitters to power more devices.

Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #1988 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:

That IDE cable for the OS drive, is it possible to use SATA? Or do you need to buy another card with SATA ports just to have SATA for your OS drive?

The H8DME-2 motherboard has 6 onboard SATA ports, none of which are being used so yes, I could install an SATA drive for the OS on any one of those. I also installed a fourth SAT2-MV8 card for easier cable management, and each of them now has 2 free ports I could use as well.
Quote:

Also do you think SSD will make a difference for a server that's used for storage? I assume flexraid doesn't hit the OS drive as much? But not sure if you are using yours for other things.

It won't make a drastic difference, boot up times will be significantly faster, but that shouldn't be much of an issue with an always-on server. I'm upgrading to an SSD primarily because they don't generate much (if any) heat and they are very small and lightweight so I can mount it in a more convenient location.
Quote:

Where did you get your norco fan wall?

I got it from IPCDirect, which is the storefront of Norco themselves. http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=258
Quote:

Lastly what fans do you plan to use for your CPUs? I have to research this but since the CPUs are old, I thought you might already know good ones to use with this smile.gif Actually do you plan to replace to CPUs with faster ones like 2.7Ghz?

I don't currently have plans for replacing either the CPUs or their coolers so I don't have any specific models in mind. As far as the CPU goes, I would probably buy the fastest available that this motherboard supports. They're pretty old and should be available cheap on eBay.

Also keep in mind that the pictures in my post above are all in the AIC case, whereas you have the SuperMicro so things will be a little bit different.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #1989 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Thanks alot man for replying, you rock smile.gif

I have a much clear idea now. Yes I do have the supermicro.

Maybe I should also get an SSD then. Like you said heat and small space would be cool. But mainly the SSD I have on my PC is OCZ 120GB Vertex3 so I think it would be cool if I could upgrade that and use the 120GB in the server. Either that or I have to use my 1.5TB HDD which is the smallest one I have smile.gif

Yeah the cpus are old so I was looking for the best one it supports and AFAIK it's 6 core Opteron, which I only found at 2.7Ghz on ebay and they seemed like $160+, instead of quad core Opteron 2.7Ghz which was $20. If that's the case, I will probably get the $20 one smile.gif

Also now do you have 2x 24 bay AIC servers one of which is empty? May I ask why you added 2 CPUs and filled all RAM slots for your server? I have never used raid or flexraid, so not sure how 2 CPUs and/or multiple cores speed up processes like parity, etc. If they speed it up N times, then that would be pretty amazing of course.

Thanks again mate, you look like you know what you are doing, so looking forward to see your progress pics smile.gif
post #1990 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah the cpus are old so I was looking for the best one it supports and AFAIK it's 6 core Opteron, which I only found at 2.7Ghz on ebay and they seemed like $160+, instead of quad core Opteron 2.7Ghz which was $20. If that's the case, I will probably get the $20 one smile.gif

I believe you need a certain motherboard revision and/or upgraded BIOS to support the 6-core version.
Quote:

Also now do you have 2x 24 bay AIC servers one of which is empty?

Yeah, I have one spare AIC server now. If I ever need it I'll buy some RAM and a CPU for it. Or maybe I'll just use it as an external 24-bay hard drive cage!
Quote:

May I ask why you added 2 CPUs and filled all RAM slots for your server? I have never used raid or flexraid, so not sure how 2 CPUs and/or multiple cores speed up processes like parity, etc. If they speed it up N times, then that would be pretty amazing of course.

I initially started the parity calculation with just the one CPU installed and both cores were pegged at 100% usage. Adding the second CPU increased the calculation speed by about 20% and each core is at roughly 80% usage. The RAM made no difference, FlexRAID is only using a few GB so going from 8 to 16 didn't matter. I think the main bottleneck now is either one of my hard drives or the SATA cards. I'll do some benchmarking when the parity calculation is done.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #1991 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 PM

Thanks alot mate, your benchmark is valuable. I will pass the second CPU for 20% speed up smile.gif

Ok I will research the 6 core support then, though I will still likely buy a quad core because of price.

What SSD do you plan to buy? I just checked newegg for a minute to see how the prices changed since the last time I bought mine which was $2 per GB, but it doesn't seem any cheaper. I would like to get 500GB but they still seem to cost close to $500 for MLC ones. Not sure if people still recommend MLCs though?

Also do you have enough drives to fill your server? Or are you gonna buy brand new ones, i.e. 4TB HDDs? smile.gif
post #1992 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks alot mate, your benchmark is valuable. I will pass the second CPU for 20% speed up smile.gif

I would expect much better than 20% gains for applications that are are properly threaded and not bottlenecked by the hard drives like FlexRAID is. I would definitely recommend using both CPUs considering how cheap most of them are.
Quote:

Ok I will research the 6 core support then, though I will still likely buy a quad core because of price.

If your motherboard is revision 2.01a then a six core Istanbul Opteron should work. If it's 2.01 or lower it might still work with a BIOS upgrade. The revision is printed on the corner of the board right next to the PCI-X slots.
Quote:

What SSD do you plan to buy? I just checked newegg for a minute to see how the prices changed since the last time I bought mine which was $2 per GB, but it doesn't seem any cheaper. I would like to get 500GB but they still seem to cost close to $500 for MLC ones. Not sure if people still recommend MLCs though?

I'll be going with a cheap one from a known-good manufacturer. Samsung, Crucial, etc. Capacity isn't too important as I only have the OS and a few small things installed. Of course a larger capacity SSD will be faster but for this application it won't make much difference. The slowest modern SSD is already a giant leap over any HDD so there's no need to spend a premium on a marginally better SSD.
Quote:

Also do you have enough drives to fill your server? Or are you gonna buy brand new ones, i.e. 4TB HDDs? smile.gif

My old server had 22 data drives, plus an OS drive, so I've already got pretty much all I need to fill up the case. I have 16 drives installed right now. I have 5 more that are ready to be formatted and installed as soon as the parity calculation is completed. I do have plenty of other drives that have been "retired" that I could throw in just to fill in the empty spaces too. My PPU drives are all 3TB, so before I can make use of any 4TB DRUs I will have to upgrade all 4 PPUs to 4TB as well. Until I do that I can still upgrade some of the smaller DRUs to 3TB. FlexRAID crash course: A PPU is a Parity Protection Unit, and they have to be the largest drives in the system. DRU is Data Risk Unit, which is where your files are actually stored. Adding up the capacity of the DRUs gives you the total usable space.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #1993 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 PM

Thanks alot man, that makes sense. I might invest in an additional CPU then. If you install WHS when you had 1 CPU and then add another, would it complain about licensing? I assume it might.

How do you get rid of your old HDDs? Do you sell them? I think that's the only way for me. Since I only have 2TBs mostly.

Also in flexraid, if you wanted to restore a particular file on a disk, can you do it? Like say you have T:\batman.mkv and you want to restore the file because flexraid reported its checksum didn't match, is there a function where you can just use it to restore the file back to its previous state when it had the correct checksum? Just wondering smile.gif
post #1994 of 2364 Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks alot man, that makes sense. I might invest in an additional CPU then. If you install WHS when you had 1 CPU and then add another, would it complain about licensing? I assume it might.

If you were to change the motherboard, something like that would be an issue, but swapping or adding CPUs should be fine. A CPU upgrade is a common practice, MS would never get away with locking an activation to a specific CPU.
Quote:

How do you get rid of your old HDDs? Do you sell them? I think that's the only way for me. Since I only have 2TBs mostly.

I put them in a box in my closet!
Quote:

Also in flexraid, if you wanted to restore a particular file on a disk, can you do it? Like say you have T:\batman.mkv and you want to restore the file because flexraid reported its checksum didn't match, is there a function where you can just use it to restore the file back to its previous state when it had the correct checksum? Just wondering smile.gif

I'm not 100% certain about that. I know that individual files can be repaired (as opposed to an entire DRU), but there could be complications if other files on the DRU have been also modified since the last parity snapshot. I haven't even really used FlexRAID yet! My old server was just 22 independent NTFS volumes, I only just decided to switch to FlexRAID for this new server after researching literally every other option available. FlexRAID is typically a lot more flexible than any other RAID or RAID-like system.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #1995 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Thanks alot for replying smile.gif

Actually the apartments here are very old, some from world war II, srs. So mine actually doesn't have breakers but power fuse or whatever they are called.

I guess if I can power the server and my PC, without any problems, then I assume it should be fine, right? Because if the PSU is 900, and I will probably get 650, it should be even better in terms of not blowing the fuse. I think the other power outlets that are on a different power fuse is at least 1-2 meters off the living room I think.

Also I have a DVI to VGA adapter but no VGA cable. And it seems like the VGA side of this adapter is female so I need a male to male VGA cable which is standard I guess. Do you know the best place to buy them? I guess monoprice would be good. But I want to try it tomorrow so I can make sure the server works and leave feedback on ebay.

Btw when I held down the power button of the server a couple seconds, it turned off as I expected but the PSU was still working. Is that normal? How do I turn off the PSUs? My PC turns off completely but not sure if it's different for servers.

Wow $300 is a lot for a PSU but I can see it. If I can catch a $99 deal that would be amazing smile.gif Are those platinum, 80+ gold, etc global standards for all PSUs?

Also with the HX850, do people still power the HDDs like you said, i.e. by using 1 power feed per 4 HDD? Also won't I need 6, since 6x4 = 24?

Your PC looks pretty good man. It's like those high end audio equipment but inside your PC smile.gif I never heard of that brand before you mentioned it. I always heard about corsair since a lot of people seem to mention it.

Thanks again smile.gif

FWIW, I am using a 650 watt PSU in my SM server that I bought here on the forum from another member recently, and powers my system just fine, though I don't have all 24 bays filled right now. An 850 to be would be overkill, even a 750 would be more than enough.

As for you turning off your server with the PSU running, if its the stock PSU they are supposed to stay on at all times. Even the one in my other SM server stays on as well but its very quiet when the server is off (replaced the 902 with the 920 SM PSU--search this thread for info on that).

As for video, the only time you will need the VGA connection is when you are either installing the OS, or need to do something directly on the server. Other than that you won't even need the VGA port as the server can be ran headless. That's how I usually run my servers if I need to work on them using the IPMI.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #1996 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

+1 on 650 watt. 550 is probably enough and 650 is for those that want a little more anyways. Anything beyond that is a poor choice IMO
Vincent2k6 likes this.

-

post #1997 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks alot guys.

@Quarax: I am in the same boat, I have researched everything and flexraid seems like the best option.

@AVtech: Oh I didn't know it was because of the PSUs. So if I change them to ATX PSUs, they should turn off, right? You said you changed yours but still stays on. I will search the thread for that smile.gif

@Mfusick: Thanks alot man. I will also go for 650.
post #1998 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Btw do you guys know if I can install WHS using a USB HDD dock? My flash usb stick is 2GB I think so not enough.
post #1999 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

depends on the dock. Better to get a bigger flash drive for $10
Vincent2k6 likes this.

-

post #2000 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM

I have this one:
http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357353576

I should check out the flash sticks then but I just don't like getting one just for this since otherwise I never use them, and you told me to save my cash smile.gif
post #2001 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

QUICK QUESTION:

Any of you guys need some NORCO fan blade walls ?

I have two stock 80mm fan blades both removed from brand new NORCO 4220 server cases. Never used. I replaced them with the 120mm FAN BLADE and silent fans. The stock NORCO fans were just overkill for me, too much air and noise.

They have the fans mounted (but removable) and have the wires all ready for a single IDE power to power them (or a fan speed controller)

Both are collecting dust in my basement. Pics in my server thread. PM me if you need one.
Vincent2k6 likes this.

-

post #2002 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM

I ran into a new problem. I got the VGA cable but my DVI to VGA adapter doesn't fit my monitor. It has 4 additional pins but the flat pin also seems wider than my DVI-D I assume:

Is it safe to assume this is DVI-I to VGA?

Is there a workaround this? I have a spare GTX 280. Can I use this in the server to connect to my monitor? I checked but couldn't see a connector that would take the card frown.gif
post #2003 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
What cable to you need for your monitor?

If the cable has four pins and a horizontal slot between then that is DVI-I. VGA can be converted to HDMI if the signal is digital. If not VGA to component can be used for a HD monitor that has this option.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #2004 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks I have Samsung 305T which I think uses DVI-D because I don't have 4 pins like you said. But the converter I have has those 4 pins which is why it didn't fit on my monitor.
post #2005 of 2364 Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 PM

Btw I seem to get the IPMI working but when I opened it in the browser, it says "No signal" so I can't see the desktop but clicking "power on/off" from the browser works. So I assume it works, but anyone knows why the browser/console page would show "No signal"?

Thanks.
post #2006 of 2364 Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Ok I just checked with the CRT monitor and it says "check signal". Does this mean the mobo is broken?
post #2007 of 2364 Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Ok I just checked with the CRT monitor and it says "check signal". Does this mean the mobo is broken?

Reset the BIOS. On this motherboard, there's no jumper for this. Instead there are two contacts next to the battery labeled Clear CMOS. Turn off the server, unplug the power cables, and connect the two contacts with a screwdriver for 4+ seconds. Plug it back in and turn it on.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #2008 of 2364 Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 AM

OK I did what you said but I am still getting "please check signal" from the monitor. I got a DOA then, right frown.gif
post #2009 of 2364 Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:

OK I did what you said but I am still getting "please check signal" from the monitor. I got a DOA then, right frown.gif

Are you hearing any POST beep codes? Try removing and re-seating the RAM and expansion cards. Remove/unplug any and all non-vital components and see what happens.
Vincent2k6 likes this.
post #2010 of 2364 Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM

No I don't think there are any beep sounds after the system starts. I will pay attention to it again.

I am using only 1 ram slot right now. I only tried 2 of the sticks. I thought it wasn't doing anything different anyway. I checked the expansion cards but they seem rock solid.

I am only using 1 PSU though, does that matter?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco