Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 2270 Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

disconnect the hard drive and cd room, make a bootable dos disc. make sure usb key is first in the boot order.

David,

Forgive my naiveté, but wouldn't it make it difficult to install an operating system on a hard drive without having one connected (currently in SATA Port 3)? Do I do that after I've initiated a successful boot? I do have USB KEY: first in the boot order. And I'll do a boot disk check on another computer.

What concerns me is that when I had no drives of any kind attached and did my first boot (albeit with a different boot order and no bootable source), I received the same error.

KWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2270 Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Liked: 31
That is concerning, but removing the drives should insure that no matter the order the usb key would be the only option it could pick... i know this a dumb question but i have to ask, usb key is in the upper section not the lower section right?, The lower section is for items the pc will NEVER boot from.
post #2253 of 2270 Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Yes - indeed the USB KEY: is at the top of the eight potential slots for booting. However, I've been unable to figure out how to use the and (fixed and removable) designations - or if they actually apply.

Is there some way the server is trying to boot from a LAN location? (hence the error?)
post #2254 of 2270 Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 AM

Figured it out - buried in the options is USB HDD: - apparently, a USB stick with an operating system is considered a hard drive for this BIOS. Not sure what the purpose of the other USB options [KEY:/ZIP:/etc] might be. And not sure what an external HD connected via USB would be.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help on this!

Kurt
post #2255 of 2270 Old 04-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Liked: 31
thats very odd but glad it is fixed.
post #2256 of 2270 Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraslor View Post

Had the same problem, contacted tams and they sent a new back plane. It's a year later and all good.

Turned out one of the molex power connector was loose.

All of the RED hdd LED flashed during power on, and that threw me off. I thought all of the slots were powered on correctly.
post #2257 of 2270 Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues trying to upgrade the tams AIC x7dbe-x to 32gb ram? I origionally had 8 - 2gb chips with no issues, but for some reason it will only post with 4 - 4gb chips~!~ reading the sm spec sheet it should be compatible with 32gb ram.

post #2258 of 2270 Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmizzaz View Post

Thanks to this thread and a little creativity I've just finished building my new monster (8U) of a server. Thought I would share it with you all to stir up some more creativity:

Front:

Back:

Top View:

Angles:

Basically its 2 of the Xeon servers bolted together. Cut a hole through one, rebuilt the motherboard tray. Added a Norco fan wall and a new Norco back + a second Norco fan wall as the top back. I predrilled and countersunk screw holes for a third Norco fan wall should I find that I want extra cooling later. With the physical size of the case heat buildup is a far, far smaller concern than it would be with a single 4U box.

Specs:
Case: 2x 4U AIC RSC-4ED2 (modded heavily)
Motherboard: Supermicro X7DBE-X
Processor: 2x Intel Quad Core E5430
RAM: 16 GB DDR2 Memory (original memory from the 2 servers, have a set of 32 GB coming)
Hard Drive: 320 GB SATA OS Drive
Hard Drive Trays: 4 SATA drives for testing (have 14ish more to add soon)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W (since I'm building for lots of extra space I went with low cost PSU, and made it easy to swap out if I find I'm running it hard)
Controller Cards: 6x SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 (48 bays!!!)

Taking the server apart and hacking, drilling, countersinking, rebuilding etc. took about a week and a bit of part time effort. Its quite quiet now but I would consider replacing the CPU heatsink fans if I was going to have this thing sitting inside my office all day (they are the quietest of all the original fans but still louder than my desktop). Fortunately it'll be going in a server rack and won't really bother me at all.

For anyone looking for screws for the HDD trays, you can easily scrounge them from the parts you strip off. For instance each original PSU has 12 coarse thread counter sunk screws. Couple more from the case and your sitting quite nicely.

did you have any issues with 32gb of ram with this board?

post #2259 of 2270 Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Those of you using these servers with the original parts (I.e. ECC FB DDR2 RAM), what sort of memory temperatures are you seeing?

My RAM runs extremely hot - 70C+. I know FB-DIMMs do run hot, but this hot?
post #2260 of 2270 Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Those of you using these servers with the original parts (I.e. ECC FB DDR2 RAM), what sort of memory temperatures are you seeing?

My RAM runs extremely hot - 70C+. I know FB-DIMMs do run hot, but this hot?
pretty hot.. and common on FB-DIMM smile.gif
you need fans to pull the heat ...
70C onf FB-DIMM is ok, but not good for 24/7 system.

I converted and ditch out old-mobo with FB-DIMM for backup server only that runs during backup time. it is easy to do by remotely web-based ipmi or ipmi client to turn on.

if you are running 24/7. AMD version of this deal is a perfect candidate. less power wasted into heat!

my suggestion on FB-DIMM version: replace with not-old motherboard/CPU and saving money for a long run *hmmm 3-4 years* for 24/7 system.
post #2261 of 2270 Old 04-28-2014, 02:12 PM

The AIC case version is back on ebay, AMD only.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIC-Chassis-Black-SATA-24-Bay-H8DME-2-AMD-DC-2-0GHz-8GB-SIMLC-SAT2-MV8-Serv-/151290958690?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item2339a4d362

I bought one with black drive bays, one bay was damaged but they are sending me a new one. Fantastic service, as expected by the forum posts.

Packaged really well with the form fitting foam and screws!

Modified the PCIe 8x slot to take x16 cards by chewing the slot open with snips (messed up the pins but put them back, luckily they are grounds on the end and PRSNT2#), one soldered wire later and I have a x16 Radeon as the main GFX card. This is going to be replaced by a GeForce 240 on the way with HDMI.

Ubuntu 14.05 LTS server installed ready for xbmc and mythtv and of course ZFS.

Matthew
post #2262 of 2270 Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 PM

Just rewired it so each controller card controls two complete backplanes out of sequence.

Backplanes run horizontally with four hdds (1 2 3 4) and there are six (A - F) so:
A: 1 2 3 4
B: 1 2 3 4
C: 1 2 3 4
D: 1 2 3 4
E: 1 2 3 4
F: 1 2 3 4

The old cable arrangement seemed random which may have been for system assembly speed and if you are going to populate all the bays why does it matter?

With the three controllers, X, Y & Z we now have:

X -> A: 1 2 3 4
Y -> B: 1 2 3 4
Z -> C: 1 2 3 4
X -> D: 1 2 3 4
Y -> E: 1 2 3 4
Z -> F: 1 2 3 4

so as I add new hdds vertically in columns they automatically get evenly distributed across the controllers! I also numbered every cable with a sharpie for debugging.

Note that an identical fan to the foxconn one that shipped with my current system is here for $10 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111300641839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installed, mdadm soft raid 1 for two 250gb disks as the OS partition. ZFS testing to begin soon when I can get more quality time with it booted.

Note: When doing the rewire I recommend removing and replacing the host controllers as I managed to lift the end from the pci socket while it was screwed in and it was a pretty screwy result: one of the adapters started responding twice in the BIOS as if it was two separate cards. Needless to say it gave linux a fit.
post #2263 of 2270 Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 PM

Been running Ubuntu LTS 14.04 for long enough that I believe it is working. Tweaked the BIOS settings:

MTRR Discrete

Memory Unganged (Linux is NUMA aware so we don't want any pretending for maximum speeds)

1GB AGP GART allocated

Upgraded the single processor to a pair of Quad Core Opteron 2389's (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Third%20Generation%20Opteron%202389%20-%20OS2389WHP4DGI%20%28OS2389WHP4DGIWOF%29.html) using that Foxconn branded fan. Moved the ram across two different banks now I have two processors.

Modified GeForce GFX card in modified PCIe slot seems to be working just fine too.

Wasted a lot of time on why my ST3250624AS 250G operating system disks were only connected at SATA-I speeds (1.5Gbps) and didn't have NCQ enabled. An hour of my life wasted later and I discover these are not standard Seagate ST3250624AS's but HP's version of them and they have very different specs.

Normal Seagate 7200.9 ST3250624AS's are SATA-II with NCQ.

HP's Seagate 7200.9 ST3250624AS's are SATA-I without NCQ. Probably to work in various arrays and using slightly cheaper silicon. And in the literature from HP they Use the same name.

Final work left:

Get GFX desktop running autorunning standalone xbmc.

Get iSCSI up and running serving my MS desktop a zvol from ZFS

Get Samba services running advertized to the MAC desktops.

Move the main ZFS zvol into the new machine, ensuring each mirror is split across a controller.

Transfer the 10G network card and get the machine physically in position.

Profit!

Matthew

post #2264 of 2270 Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 PM

Finally completed the installation a few days ago. All systems at 90% for the moment.

My main concerns are:

1. I can't add my gigabyte i-ram ramdisk as my ZFS ZIL log as the card is too tall. I thought PCI was supposed to be a standard. -plan to remove bracket, mod on a molex 4 pin HDD power socket and attach to case lid with spacers.
  2. Heat of north bridge and controller cards. Those cards are burning hot! - Plan: Perhaps a fan mounted above them or I'll glue on small heatsinks.
  3. Spinning down the zfs array for power savings. As there is nothing writing to the pool under normal use I should be able to power down the array when not in use.
  4. Rearrange my NTFS  iscsi zvol so that the filesystem cluster size matches.
post #2265 of 2270 Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 PM

A long week it seems - three steps forward and  then two back. Also I have two toasty fingers which are a little sore.

1. I can't add my gigabyte i-ram ramdisk as my ZFS ZIL log as the card is too tall. I thought PCI was supposed to be a standard. -plan to remove bracket, mod on a molex 4 pin HDD power socket and attach to case lid with spacers. - far too long a post to discuss here. This is where I got burnt fingers and am waiting for some beefy power regulators.
  2. Heat of north bridge and controller cards. Those cards are burning hot! - Plan: Perhaps a fan mounted above them or I'll glue on small heatsinks. - done nothing.
  3. Spinning down the zfs array for power savings. As there is nothing writing to the pool under normal use I should be able to power down the array when not in use. -   success! Just Needed To Move a home directory the is raid0.
  4. Rearrange my NTFS  iscsi zvol so that the filesystem cluster size matches. Success however this was a pain. In case it comes up NTFS cluster size > disk block size.
post #2266 of 2270 Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 PM

A long week it seems - three steps forward and  then two back. Also I have two toasty fingers which are a little sore.

1. I can't add my gigabyte i-ram ramdisk as my ZFS ZIL log as the card is too tall. I thought PCI was supposed to be a standard. -plan to remove bracket, mod on a molex 4 pin HDD power socket and attach to case lid with spacers. - far too long a post to discuss here. This is where I got burnt fingers and am waiting for some beefy power regulators.
  2. Heat of north bridge and controller cards. Those cards are burning hot! - Plan: Perhaps a fan mounted above them or I'll glue on small heatsinks. - done nothing.
  3. Spinning down the zfs array for power savings. As there is nothing writing to the pool under normal use I should be able to power down the array when not in use. -   success! Just Needed To Move a home directory for xbmc which is always running to the os  raid0 system drives.
  4. Rearrange my NTFS  iscsi zvol so that the filesystem cluster size matches. - Success, after much fiddling with zfs volblocksize, iSCSI LIO target block_size and windows' insane partition wizard. Hint: don't use it, use diskpart instead.
post #2267 of 2270 Old 05-17-2014, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I mounted a fan above my controller cards as well, since they really do seem to run very hit, despite already having a heatsink.
And I only had 2 with one slot space in between, if it gets any more crowded it'll only get worse.

Right now its mounted with zip ties, crude but effective, but I have a proper mount in the works, just needed to adjust it a bit to fit properly for this use case.
post #2268 of 2270 Old 05-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Liked: 20
Anyone have success with 4TB drives with the AOC-SAT2-MV8 ?

I purchased 2 WD Green 4TB drives but they are only being detected as 2TB in Windows 8 Pro (not 8.1). I've initialized them (twice) as GPT but they're only showing 2047.88GB unallocated space. The weird thing is I have several 3TB drives already which are working fine as part of my storage pool.

Disk Management
Disk Properties

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Fixed it by installing the Sonnet Tempo drivers here (Even though Windows 8 is not listed, the drivers still installed and are working fine.)- http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=342&expand=_a3&action=b150#b150

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #2269 of 2270 Old 06-05-2014, 05:54 AM

Finally (interrupted by holidays etc) got my Gigabyte iRAM (i-RAM?) 4 gigabyte RAMDISK installed into the system as the ZFS ZIL log. It took quite a while since the Gigabyte designers used most of the power supplies available on the PCI socket: 12V, 5V, 3.3V, 3.3V always on and finally the PCI reset signal to indicate when the PC is powered on.

Rather than intercept the supplies from the motherboard (which I considered incredibly difficult) I decided to modify the card to have pluggable power from the ATX connector.

1. Splice into the ATX power supply intercepting 3.3V, 5V, 5V always on, 12V and Power Good.
  2. Build a power regulator on a fragment of prototyping board to drop the 5V always on to 3.3V always on using the LM1085 3A regulator from TI plus the needed capacitors of the right types. I then sealed the unit inside a large diameter heatshrink tube halfway along the power wires.
  3. Modify the iRAM by soldering flying leads onto the system and attaching sockets to enable powering from a cable.
  4. Remove the bracket and use the mounting holes provided and standoffs to install it into the lid of the case.
  5. ...
  6. Profit!

Note that in this work I discovered that the iRAM isn't PCI compliant in two ways:

1. It pulls ~1.3A from the 3.3Vaux rail when the max is only 750mA if you ask and 250mA if you don't.
  2. It doesn't ask the system for the 3.3Vaux at all so legally the bus could not supply power.

Here are the photos:

Spliced ATX power supply connector:

Prototype Power Regulator (I didn't photograph the lastest version before sealing it in shrinkwrap):

The main differences were I was using a tiny 250mA regulator in this design - far too inadequate. The iRAM I have tested pulling ~1.3A when it is charging the battery. I am fairly certain this is not to the PCI spec AT ALL. In fact to pull standby power this card should signal to the PCI bus that it needs power when the computer is shut down and it doesn't do so.

Modifying the iRAM with soldered flying leads to the various power supplies and signals:

Mound the iRAM to the case lid using the holes from the brackets:

post #2270 of 2270 Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 PM

Supermicro SC846TQ Rails

Hi there
I am just posting here to let you know that for those of you who ordered the Supermicro SC846TQ server from us and didn't get any rails with it well your in luck, we just came across 1 last set that was hiding in the warehouse! I have listed it on Ebay for sale, just search the following #
Hopefully this will be helpful to one of you out there!
Thanks so much!
Andy
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page