Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 78 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #2311 of 2320 Old 10-09-2014, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Understood. I was using NAS in the generic sense, not specifically something like a Synology or Netgear ReadyNAS. I should have said a separate storage server for backups.

I have a Dell PERC H700 and a Dell PERC H310 I haven't flashed or installed yet. Both have mini-SAS SFF8087 connections. I have an older Dell PE2900 server that I'm playing with. I'll probably start off with it, and eventually build another server and put the 2900 to use as a backup machine.

I'm just considering options at this point.
Morning All,

Since the Supermicro 4U 24Bay cases from Tamsolutions are NLA. Some people love their Norcos and some after a great deal of trial and tribulations love them. Are there any other cases besides Norco that people are using? I've seen some of the X-cases. They seem to have better build quality but they are pricey when you factor in S/H from overseas.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2320 Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Understood. I was using NAS in the generic sense, not specifically something like a Synology or Netgear ReadyNAS. I should have said a separate storage server for backups.

I have a Dell PERC H700 and a Dell PERC H310 I haven't flashed or installed yet. Both have mini-SAS SFF8087 connections. I have an older Dell PE2900 server that I'm playing with. I'll probably start off with it, and eventually build another server and put the 2900 to use as a backup machine.

I'm just considering options at this point.
I think it's easier to build in a normal chassis, whether that be normal desktop style or server style, because you need a mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.... These are more add on cases. A great deal for that, but not really a stand alone server solution without serious mods. The original products in this thread or something like those make more sense. But again, I did not go that route because I wanted modern hardware. I would certainly recommend the Norco 4220 and modern and affordable consumer level hardware having done that a few times now. In addition to mine, I've built about 5 more like it for other members and they all seem to fit job well. I know a few of the regulars in my server thread have followed the same path and are happy also.
onyxbfly likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2313 of 2320 Old 10-10-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I think it's easier to build in a normal chassis, whether that be normal desktop style or server style, because you need a mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.... These are more add on cases. A great deal for that, but not really a stand alone server solution without serious mods. The original products in this thread or something like those make more sense. But again, I did not go that route because I wanted modern hardware. I would certainly recommend the Norco 4220 and modern and affordable consumer level hardware having done that a few times now. In addition to mine, I've built about 5 more like it for other members and they all seem to fit job well. I know a few of the regulars in my server thread have followed the same path and are happy also.

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking at the Norco when its time to pull the trigger!!!!
post #2314 of 2320 Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Take a look at the Rosewill server cases if you are looking for a Server Style chassis on the cheap. They are good quality cases.

I opted for the RSV-L4500. Great starter case. I didn't think I would need hot swap cages at first, otherwise I would have opted for the 4411. They now have a 4412, and can't seem to readily find the differences.

Anyhow, I've been populating the Rosewill case with Norco Hot swap bays as I go. Eventually I'll take the plunge to a Norco case, but it'll be a while before I get to that point.

Just an option to consider
onyxbfly likes this.

post #2315 of 2320 Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post
Take a look at the Rosewill server cases if you are looking for a Server Style chassis on the cheap. They are good quality cases.

I opted for the RSV-L4500. Great starter case. I didn't think I would need hot swap cages at first, otherwise I would have opted for the 4411. They now have a 4412, and can't seem to readily find the differences.

Anyhow, I've been populating the Rosewill case with Norco Hot swap bays as I go. Eventually I'll take the plunge to a Norco case, but it'll be a while before I get to that point.

Just an option to consider

Thanks for the the heads up. The Rosewills look great but I would be SOL since I currently have 12 drives that I have data on. The next step up would be a 16 bay case or a add on case like Mfusic is researching. I think the best thing that I can do is get the biggest case I can and wk my way from there. Then again when its time to buying parts etc then the wallet has strong affect on things. I can aim for a Norco but if I have Rosewill money....you know the rest! Thanks once again.
post #2316 of 2320 Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those looking for rails, I have 2 sets that will fit the SC846 chassis. PM me for pricing if interested. Thanks.
post #2317 of 2320 Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Finally getting around to configuring my Supermicro storage server. I have been testing out different NAS software solutions going from FlexRAID to UnRAID to FreeNAS. DDR2 ECC memory has come down in price so I picked up 64Gb in 4Gb modules. I already had one four DIMM set but got the other three (48Gb) for $120 on eBay.

Problem is the board slows the memory down and I get a lot of ECC errors if I populate all slots. It's fine with all but four slots filled. I can't say for sure if there is a bad DIMM but this does not seem to be the case. I am running memtest on the new DIMM's one set at a time until I sort it out.

Anyone else fill all memory slots and have no issues?
post #2318 of 2320 Old 10-21-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 946
I got my case in. It looks nice. For the $$ it's a deal for sure. I will try to hook it up soon, my basement is a mess. Building wifey a closet out of MDF, and painting floor in the unfinished side. I have tools and speaker parts all over the place... Taking up my PC building workbench. I will need to finish my current project and clean up the mess before I can start taking apart my server. I did just buy another 4TB drive yesterday for $135 shipped free on the egg...

So I have a few of those and a few 3TB's to add once I get things running.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2319 of 2320 Old 10-21-2014, 11:54 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I got my case in. It looks nice. For the $$ it's a deal for sure. I will try to hook it up soon, my basement is a mess. Building wifey a closet out of MDF, and painting floor in the unfinished side. I have tools and speaker parts all over the place... Taking up my PC building workbench. I will need to finish my current project and clean up the mess before I can start taking apart my server. I did just buy another 4TB drive yesterday for $135 shipped free on the egg...

So I have a few of those and a few 3TB's to add once I get things running.
Sweet, post pics when you get your new case integrated.
post #2320 of 2320 Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have my expander from the case connected to an m1015 and it works great so far i cant wait to start filling it up.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page