Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 80 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #2371 of 2378 Old 12-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So i have the SuperMicro 24U chassis, with WHS 2011 installed. Using FlexRaid for RAID for managing my Media.

Recently i have been encountering issues with FlexRaid failing on every Update, verify and validate.
I was told by Brahim from FlexRaid, that the issue could be due to the low memory/cpu.

I am on stock motherboard and CPU.. never upgraded or replaced anything.

Sometimes i do see the CPU reaching upto 100% on flexraid update runs, i wonder if thats whats causing the update to fail.
I wanted to know if i can upgrade to a faster CPU. Dont plan to remove the entire motherboard. What CPU should i get so that i can replace/add to the current motherboard.
Adding CPU-Z screenshot of the current setup.

So i am wondering if this CPU will fit the motherboard?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330813059445
Is this the fastest one fitting this M/B?

Last edited by holyindian; 12-30-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2378 Old 12-31-2014, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
So i have the SuperMicro 24U chassis, with WHS 2011 installed. Using FlexRaid for RAID for managing my Media.

Recently i have been encountering issues with FlexRaid failing on every Update, verify and validate.
I was told by Brahim from FlexRaid, that the issue could be due to the low memory/cpu.

Sometimes i do see the CPU reaching upto 100% on flexraid update runs, i wonder if thats whats causing the update to fail.
I wanted to know if i can upgrade to a faster CPU. Dont plan to remove the entire motherboard. What CPU should i get so that i can replace/add to the current motherboard.

Wanted to PM you but I do not have enough posts to do so. Can you please PM me with your email address. I might be able to help.
post #2373 of 2378 Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Wanted to PM you but I do not have enough posts to do so. Can you please PM me with your email address. I might be able to help.
Thanks and oops, I just sent you a pm

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
post #2374 of 2378 Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Hi, I was wondering what the outcome of this was? Were you able to find a good CPU that works? I just installed my 13th drive in the chassis and am now starting to have FlexRAID issues too. Was a new CPU the answer to your FlexRAID problems?

I was looking at maybe an Opteron 2224SE since they seem to be inexpensive on eBay, but I'd really appreciate a follow-up on your situation (or anyone's similar situation) before I take the plunge.
post #2375 of 2378 Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVader View Post
Hi, I was wondering what the outcome of this was? Were you able to find a good CPU that works? I just installed my 13th drive in the chassis and am now starting to have FlexRAID issues too. Was a new CPU the answer to your FlexRAID problems?

I was looking at maybe an Opteron 2224SE since they seem to be inexpensive on eBay, but I'd really appreciate a follow-up on your situation (or anyone's similar situation) before I take the plunge.
I originally had a single Opteron 2212HE installed, which is what came with it. Upgraded to 16GB RAM and a pair of Opteron 2384's. Performance was improved, but I had 24 drives and was still limited by the CPU. Since then I swapped out all of the hardware for an old motherboard and Core i5 2500k, I am now seemingly limited by the performance of the HBA/Expander. CPUs for the original motherboard are cheap though, go ahead an upgrade and see for yourself if you get any improvements. You'll have to do some pretty specific tests in order to determine where your bottleneck is. If the speed is not your issue but rather some other problem, then an upgrade isn't going to change anything. 99% of the time a weird error in FlexRAID is caused by a failing HDD, regardless of whether or not it calls the drive "Healthy".
post #2376 of 2378 Old 02-15-2015, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hello everyone,

I have one of the original Supermicro 24 bay servers from TAMSolutions, it is basically untouched since I bought it since I got busy with other stuff. I also have the box/case it shipped in. I also bought some other parts for it. If anyone is interested in buying it, please let me know via reply/PM.

Last edited by Defcon; Today at 05:11 PM.
post #2377 of 2378 Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Defcon,

I've been looking for one of those, please shoot me a PM with the details.
post #2378 of 2378 Unread Today, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
PM sent, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page