Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #2401 of 2426 Old 06-13-2015, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post
Each Sata board in the AIC backplane only controls 4 drives. Since you have two bolted together, that"s a total of 12 boards. Are you saying that all 12 are not working? I find that hard to believe unless you shorted out the entire system somehow? If only one of the 12 is not working, move it to the bottom of the stack and you still have an array of 44 drives, with better airflow since no drives are on the bottom of the combined chassis.
Not all of them are shorted, but the Sata Connectors no longer hold a steady connection and they started dropping drives randomly, reseating the drives would bring them back online, but this causes huge issues with Raid, as for airflow i have 8 140mm fans for my fanwall with a 240mm on top behind the fanwall and 2 more 140mm on the back wall. I was pulling an INSANE amount of air over the drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2426 Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post
Not all of them are shorted, but the Sata Connectors no longer hold a steady connection and they started dropping drives randomly, reseating the drives would bring them back online, but this causes huge issues with Raid, as for airflow i have 8 140mm fans for my fanwall with a 240mm on top behind the fanwall and 2 more 140mm on the back wall. I was pulling an INSANE amount of air over the drives.
Sorry hear you have that many issues. The AIC chassis were a great deal from Tam's, if you have less than 6 bad boards of the 12 installed, perhaps you can pick up another chassis when they come available to use for parts so that you won't have to scrap the 48 drive monster!
post #2403 of 2426 Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post
Sorry hear you have that many issues. The AIC chassis were a great deal from Tam's, if you have less than 6 bad boards of the 12 installed, perhaps you can pick up another chassis when they come available to use for parts so that you won't have to scrap the 48 drive monster!
I am actually going to keep it and use it sans Back Plane ill just direct connect to drives, no backplane should improve airflow as well.
post #2404 of 2426 Old 06-28-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Just in case there's any interest, I have 12 4TB drives for sale in the classifeids, and 2 IT Flashed M1015 cards that I'll be posting tomorrow.

Looky here!
post #2405 of 2426 Old 07-11-2015, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What an ordeal.
  • Server arrived in perfect condition on June 10.
  • I immediately began breaking it down to start the "quiet mods".
  • Everything went well. The mods look great, and most importantly, they created a very quiet server.
  • I transferred the disks and PSU from the other case.
  • It wouldn't boot for me. Lights on the mobo would illuminate, fans connected to mobo connectors would spin, but no signal via VGA.
  • I took it to my local repair shop. He took a few days to get to it.
  • He suggested I ask for a new CPU. I did on a Thursday morning. TAMS sent a replacement the next Wednesday.
  • Still no boot with the new CPU. Back to square one.
  • I move the disks and PSU back to the old case so I can watch some movies.
  • I found the Intel version of this board on eBay for $35. Add the CPU for another $12 and I'll use the old RAM.
  • Everything arrives yesterday. New board won't boot. Long repeating beep. Manual says "no memory detected".
  • I order a non-ECC stick for next day delivery. Then I recall I have a loose 2GB stick in the closet.
  • BAM. The server lives!!!
  • I transfer the fourteen disks and PSU over from the old case. Again. Four screws per disk, two times.
  • Initial boot with it sitting in its home on my server rack shows four* missing disks and some dark activity lights. This is on the unRAID gui.
  • I shutdown and add six more molex power connections to the backplane.
  • It boots again. But a few of the lights are still dark. Bottom left and second from left, plus third disk from the top on the left column.
  • Array config confirms the two* bottom row disks are missing. I shutdown and move those to positions three and four in column three.
  • Server boots again, and CONFIGURATION IS VALID.

So, that's my story. 31 days to get to this point. So much work.

Does anyone know the model of the backplane? I'd like to investigate the bottom row not working.

Last edited by jeff.lebowski; 07-11-2015 at 01:22 PM.
post #2406 of 2426 Old 07-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.lebowski View Post
What an ordeal.
  • Server arrived in perfect condition on June 10.
  • I immediately began breaking it down to start the "quiet mods".
  • Everything went well. The mods look great, and most importantly, they created a very quiet server.
  • I transferred the disks and PSU from the other case.
  • It wouldn't boot for me. Lights on the mobo would illuminate, fans connected to mobo connectors would spin, but no signal via VGA.
  • I took it to my local repair shop. He took a few days to get to it.
  • He suggested I ask for a new CPU. I did on a Thursday morning. TAMS sent a replacement the next Wednesday.
  • Still no boot with the new CPU. Back to square one.
  • I move the disks and PSU back to the old case so I can watch some movies.
  • I found the Intel version of this board on eBay for $35. Add the CPU for another $12 and I'll use the old RAM.
  • Everything arrives yesterday. New board won't boot. Long repeating beep. Manual says "no memory detected".
  • I order a non-ECC stick for next day delivery. Then I recall I have a loose 2GB stick in the closet.
  • BAM. The server lives!!!
  • I transfer the fourteen disks and PSU over from the old case. Again. Four screws per disk, two times.
  • Initial boot with it sitting in its home on my server rack shows four* missing disks and some dark activity lights. This is on the unRAID gui.
  • I shutdown and add six more molex power connections to the backplane.
  • It boots again. But a few of the lights are still dark. Bottom left and second from left, plus third disk from the top on the left column.
  • Array config confirms the two* bottom row disks are missing. I shutdown and move those to positions three and four in column three.
  • Server boots again, and CONFIGURATION IS VALID.

So, that's my story. 31 days to get to this point. So much work.

Does anyone know the model of the backplane? I'd like to investigate the bottom row not working.
BPN-SAS-846-7EL1
BPN-SAS-826-7EL1

That's the model of the backplane.
post #2407 of 2426 Old 07-18-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshou1 View Post
BPN-SAS-846-7EL1
BPN-SAS-826-7EL1

That's the model of the backplane.
That's a supermicro SAS expander backplane. I don't recall any of the Tam's units coming with one of these. He's also referring to an AIC server as well.
post #2408 of 2426 Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post
That's a supermicro SAS expander backplane. I don't recall any of the Tam's units coming with one of these. He's also referring to an AIC server as well.
Same issues, wait until a single port dies and a drive drops out, my advice, remove the backplane use sata power splitters, or do make your own power cables.
post #2409 of 2426 Unread 10-30-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally decided to put the server I got from TAMS in a rack and get it off my workbench. I won't bother you with the photos, there are enough of those. My issue in the past was not being able to find the rails for this case. As most of you know, they are very hard to find and if you run across a set they are very expensive.

I went hunting on the net and found a company that recycles parts in Germany that has a bunch of these (354 sets at the time of this post) that can be had for a good price if you are willing to work through some logistical issues. I know for most this will be more than it's worth at this point to get them as most have had this setup for several years. I thought I would post it here if anyone still needs a few sets to rackmount these cases.

The webpage of the part: http://shop.delwi-itr.de/shop/Server...30_79680_0.htm You will need to use a browser with a translator (I used Chrome) and setup an account with them.

I had to use a parcel forwarding service as the German seller does not ship outside of the Euro Zone. I used this one on eBay which cost $15 + Shipping to the USA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191064224296...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Their communication was top notch and their checkout system was easy to follow to get them shipped to the USA. They send you an address to ship to when you pay them on eBay and then you use that address on the German website when you checkout.

Both the seller and the forwarder take Paypal which is big for disputes if things ended up going sideways.

I ordered them on the 19th. They shipped on the 20th to the forwarding service in Great Britain (Skypax). They recieved them on the 26th and sent them out to me the next day via UPS 2 day air. There were no hickups with the seller or the forwarder at all. I was sceptical that they would send the wrong part of they would scam me in some way, but they came to me with no damage and in good working order. These are the real deal, part #MCP-290-00014-00 inner and outer rails. No mounting screws, but I picked some up at the local hardware store for less than $2 for both of my servers.

Cost breakdown for two (2) pairs of rails:

$68.53 to the German seller which included shipping to GB.
$15.00 (eBay) + 68.20 to Skypax for shipping and their service. It costs me $20 to ship another set of rails that didn't fit to a buyer in Florida recently so $68 isn't bad for 2 day international.

Total cost was $151.73 for two pairs or $75.87 a pair which is a steal IMO given they are non-existent here and when you could find them a few years back they were much higher than that. I know I am happy now that the server will be sitting in my rack this weekend and off the workbench. Hope this helps out someone!
post #2410 of 2426 Unread 11-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
In my Supermicro 24-bay chassis that I gotten from TAMS sometime ago, I am considering replacing the AMD based H8HME-2 motherboard and the PCI-X SATA MV8 controller cards. I could get another server board or a consumer level board to replace the existing one, but would have to support PXE network booting as I have WDS setup now on the Server 2012 R2 VM. Thing is, since the backplane of the case has the individual SATA connections, what's a good controller card that's possible SAS with the SATA connectors for all 24 bays? I'm also wondering if any mods would be needed to fit an micro-ATX or ATX board in that chassis with the original back window? I could search on the pasts posts on this thread but have no time to search tonight.

This server will just be a file server loaded with an OS, with Drivepool and Flexraid since I still have both those licenses unused right now. No transcoding will be done on this box since my ESXi Win7 VM till take care of that running the Xeon 1230 V2.

As for the chassis, it still has the original PSU's (one replaced with the 920-R sometime ago) so I don't really plan to replace them either. The original fans I have a fan controller to turn those down to a manageable noise level.

What's a good controller card to replace the MV8's, and drivers that supports Windows OS?

Sorry to drag this up but I'm in a similar situation. Wanting to update my motherboard to something a little newer since I think I might be going the Plex server route. I hear transcoding might be occurring and not sure that the Intel CPU that came with the server is up to task. So I want to update to something more modern but having 24 bays plus a local drive for OS will make it hard to find that replacement (that isn't too expensive). Do they make something like the PCI-X SATA MV8 controller cards that isn't over $100? Or is there some other route to go to bring the motherboard up-to-date?

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #2411 of 2426 Unread 11-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
Sorry to drag this up but I'm in a similar situation. Wanting to update my motherboard to something a little newer since I think I might be going the Plex server route. I hear transcoding might be occurring and not sure that the Intel CPU that came with the server is up to task. So I want to update to something more modern but having 24 bays plus a local drive for OS will make it hard to find that replacement (that isn't too expensive). Do they make something like the PCI-X SATA MV8 controller cards that isn't over $100? Or is there some other route to go to bring the motherboard up-to-date?
You can get one of many sas expanders. I am running my setup with unraid paired with an LSI based sas card and an intel expander. while it might run more than $100, it wont be crazy expensive either.
post #2412 of 2426 Unread 11-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
You can get one of many sas expanders. I am running my setup with unraid paired with an LSI based sas card and an intel expander. while it might run more than $100, it wont be crazy expensive either.
post #2413 of 2426 Unread 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Been awhile since I have read in this thread, one of my servers that I am running unRAID on I'm using the Dell SAS cards (the Perc H310 IIRC), which I bought from a forum member here for $75. I do have another server that has the MV8 cards that's currently not in use right now, and has no data on it. Haven't decided if I plan to offload them yet as I am working on another project currently. What Intel CPU's do you have in your server?

Almedmetallica also has a good suggestion as well.
post #2414 of 2426 Unread 11-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I have been reading this thread for for a few years, I have the 4U unit in the first post, I have upgraded the CPU and added a second and the unit has 32GB RAM now, as well as 2 SuperMicro PWS-920P-1R 920W Platinum

I have recently been considering changing this setup to convert to a lower power consuming alternative, does anyone know of parts I can use while keeping as much as possible of the original setup (case, backplanes, bays ect)

I understand I will likely want new mobo, cpu, ram, power supply, possibly sata cards.

I am also trying to figure out if I can do this without spending a fortune haha.

I have looked up some info and it seems SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O would be lower power but with that mobo, a cpu and ram looking at like $650+ already, not sure if there are better options.

Thanks again.
post #2415 of 2426 Unread 11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
Been awhile since I have read in this thread, one of my servers that I am running unRAID on I'm using the Dell SAS cards (the Perc H310 IIRC), which I bought from a forum member here for $75. I do have another server that has the MV8 cards that's currently not in use right now, and has no data on it. Haven't decided if I plan to offload them yet as I am working on another project currently. What Intel CPU's do you have in your server?

Almedmetallica also has a good suggestion as well.

I have one Intel Dual Core E5120. Was going for as little power consumption as possible but I think the Ram for the board is probably not helping. ECC-RAM tends to draw a lot compared to regular ram. But if transcoding is going to happen, I don't think this processor is going to be up to the challenge.

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #2416 of 2426 Unread 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I have one Intel Dual Core E5120. Was going for as little power consumption as possible but I think the Ram for the board is probably not helping. ECC-RAM tends to draw a lot compared to regular ram. But if transcoding is going to happen, I don't think this processor is going to be up to the challenge.
Hmm, yeah I think the AIC server I had contained the E5405. It was a quad core. It did fairly well in transcoding when I was outside the home network. But it really depends on the software and how well it utilizes the cores.

The ECC RAM uses more juice and runs hotter, but ECC RAM is usually stable in 24/7 operations. But in your case, I would let go of the dual core and get something more apt for transcoding. My first server that had the dual-core Opterons I got rid of those and went with the quad cores. It doesn't have to be anything high end, as when not transcoding the CPU will be idle most of the time anyway.
post #2417 of 2426 Unread Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I have the original 24 bay server. I have bought some updates but haven't managed to finish the upgrades. Now I'm planning to take a few days and finish the project.

- will large drives (4-8TB) work in this? I've updated bios to v3.5
- I have a Opteron 2425HE. Will this be enough for transcoding with Plex/Emby. I bought this since its a low power variant and I was concerned about noise since I live in an apt.
- Planning to run WSE 2012 R2 Essentials as OS. Is there any advantage in running VM's?
post #2418 of 2426 Unread Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the original 24 bay server. I have bought some updates but haven't managed to finish the upgrades. Now I'm planning to take a few days and finish the project.

- I have a Opteron 2425HE. Will this be enough for transcoding with Plex/Emby. I bought this since its a low power variant and I was concerned about noise since I live in an apt.
- Planning to run WSE 2012 R2 Essentials as OS. Is there any advantage in running VM's?
post #2419 of 2426 Unread Today, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

1)If you have the SAT-Mv8 card then yes, 3TB+ drives will work fine with the latest driver from Sonnettech.
2)probably not
3)never tried it.
post #2420 of 2426 Unread Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Do you mean running the server in a VM, or running VMs in the server? I can tell you that running the server in a VM can hinder/cripple the apps that take advantage of GPU transcoding on Intel processors. Although you are currently on an Opteron, so it would not make any difference, it might matter to you later.
post #2421 of 2426 Unread Today, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
1)If you have the SAT-Mv8 card then yes, 3TB+ drives will work fine with the latest driver from Sonnettech.
2)probably not
3)never tried it.
w.r.t 2 - which AMD cpu would you suggest? I don't want to replace the mobo and other guts. Will a dual core help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Do you mean running the server in a VM, or running VMs in the server? I can tell you that running the server in a VM can hinder/cripple the apps that take advantage of GPU transcoding on Intel processors. Although you are currently on an Opteron, so it would not make any difference, it might matter to you later.
I keep reading about people running their server instances inside ESXi, or running dedicated vm's for things like Plex, file server client etc. e.g. the new unRaid 6.0 has Docker support and you can install appliances for various tasks, which run in their own container. Could do something similar with Hyper-V.

I've never really tried doing this as I don't see any real benefit other than process/memory isolation, and I don't know how relevant that is in home use.
post #2422 of 2426 Unread Today, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

There is a benefit of running Windows Server 2012 r2 Essentials in a VM. It has to run as a domain controller. Have you ever upgraded a domain controller?

When I went from 2012 to 2012r2 I appreciated that I had it running as a VM so I could easily transfer the domain controller to the new server. You install the new server (2016?) in a new VM and follow the procedure. It is not straightforward and you don't just upgrade.

I'm running ESXi with an AMD processor, SSD drives for VMs, and 32 GB RAM (non-ECC).

post #2423 of 2426 Unread Today, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
There is a benefit of running Windows Server 2012 r2 Essentials in a VM. It has to run as a domain controller. Have you ever upgraded a domain controller?

When I went from 2012 to 2012r2 I appreciated that I had it running as a VM so I could easily transfer the domain controller to the new server. You install the new server (2016?) in a new VM and follow the procedure. It is not straightforward and you don't just upgrade.

I'm running ESXi with an AMD processor, SSD drives for VMs, and 32 GB RAM (non-ECC).
I haven't run or upgraded a Windows server OS. In fact I always do a clean install of my client pc's whenever there's a new build of Windows, instead of an upgrade. It takes longer but IMO works better. From what you are saying it sounds like its much more complicated doing this on a server? Since I haven't run ESXi either, which route is easier?

Server 2016 is expected in Q3, of course I don't need to upgrade to it if there are no benefits.
post #2424 of 2426 Unread Today, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I haven't run or upgraded a Windows server OS. In fact I always do a clean install of my client pc's whenever there's a new build of Windows, instead of an upgrade. It takes longer but IMO works better. From what you are saying it sounds like its much more complicated doing this on a server? Since I haven't run ESXi either, which route is easier?

Server 2016 is expected in Q3, of course I don't need to upgrade to it if there are no benefits.
The complicated part is the domain controller. You can do a clean install just like any other client PC. However, any clients that you've connected to the domain will be "lost" since you wiped out the domain controller install. You have to install a new server, make it a secondary domain controller, transfer control to the new server, and the make it the primary controller. Then you can remove the original install. This is much easier when you can do it as VMs instead of having two physical servers.

The other option is just not to use Essentials and skip the domain controller part, but where's the fun in that?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn408633.aspx

Quote:
This migration guide includes the following steps:

Step 1: Prepare your Source Server for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials migration. You must ensure that your Source Server and network are ready for migration. This section guides you through backing up the Source Server, evaluating the Source Server system health, installing the most recent service packs and fixes, and verifying the network configuration.

Step 2: Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as a new replica domain controller. This section describes how to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, or Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (with the Windows Server Essentials Experience role enabled) as a domain controller.

Step 3: Join computers to the new Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server. This section explains how to join client computers to the new server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and updating Group Policy settings.

Step 4: Move settings and data to the Destination Server for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials migration. This section provides information about migrating data and settings from the Source Server.

Step 5: Enable folder redirection on the Destination Server for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials migration. If folder redirection is enabled on the Source Server, you can enable folder redirection on the Destination Server, and then delete the old Folder Redirection Group Policy setting.

Step 6: Demote and remove the Source Server from the new Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials network. Prior to removing the Source Server from the network, you must force a Group Policy update and demote the Source Server.

Step 7: Perform post-migration tasks for the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials migration. After you finish migrating all settings and data to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, you may want to map permitted computers to user accounts.

Step 8: Run the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Best Practices Analyzer. After you finish migrating settings and data to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, you should run the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Best Practices Analyzer (BPA).

post #2425 of 2426 Unread Today, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The other option is just not to use Essentials and skip the domain controller part, but where's the fun in that?
What do you mean by 'not use Essentials', use the full blown Server 2012? If I skip domain join as listed here - http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...-domain-144329, are the steps above still required when upgrading? I want to avoid joining the domain or using the server as Dns gateway etc.
post #2426 of 2426 Unread Today, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What do you mean by 'not use Essentials', use the full blown Server 2012? If I skip domain join as listed here - http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...-domain-144329, are the steps above still required when upgrading? I want to avoid joining the domain or using the server as Dns gateway etc.
If you skip the domain join then you don't have to do all that stuff. But then you miss any benefits of being in a domain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco