Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #2401 of 2410 Old 06-13-2015, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post
Contact Tam Solutions, I had one fail and they were able to send me a replacement. Supermicro will not fit.

Glenn
I did, they are out, they did say the supermicro should fit, but i really can't waste 100 bucks to buy one and find out, i have two aic chassis bolted together that are about to land in the garbage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2410 Old 06-13-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post
I did, they are out, they did say the supermicro should fit, but i really can't waste 100 bucks to buy one and find out, i have two aic chassis bolted together that are about to land in the garbage.
Each Sata board in the AIC backplane only controls 4 drives. Since you have two bolted together, that"s a total of 12 boards. Are you saying that all 12 are not working? I find that hard to believe unless you shorted out the entire system somehow? If only one of the 12 is not working, move it to the bottom of the stack and you still have an array of 44 drives, with better airflow since no drives are on the bottom of the combined chassis.
post #2403 of 2410 Old 06-13-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Each Sata board in the AIC backplane only controls 4 drives. Since you have two bolted together, that"s a total of 12 boards. Are you saying that all 12 are not working? I find that hard to believe unless you shorted out the entire system somehow? If only one of the 12 is not working, move it to the bottom of the stack and you still have an array of 44 drives, with better airflow since no drives are on the bottom of the combined chassis.
Not all of them are shorted, but the Sata Connectors no longer hold a steady connection and they started dropping drives randomly, reseating the drives would bring them back online, but this causes huge issues with Raid, as for airflow i have 8 140mm fans for my fanwall with a 240mm on top behind the fanwall and 2 more 140mm on the back wall. I was pulling an INSANE amount of air over the drives.
post #2404 of 2410 Old 06-13-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post
Not all of them are shorted, but the Sata Connectors no longer hold a steady connection and they started dropping drives randomly, reseating the drives would bring them back online, but this causes huge issues with Raid, as for airflow i have 8 140mm fans for my fanwall with a 240mm on top behind the fanwall and 2 more 140mm on the back wall. I was pulling an INSANE amount of air over the drives.
Sorry hear you have that many issues. The AIC chassis were a great deal from Tam's, if you have less than 6 bad boards of the 12 installed, perhaps you can pick up another chassis when they come available to use for parts so that you won't have to scrap the 48 drive monster!
post #2405 of 2410 Old 06-14-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry hear you have that many issues. The AIC chassis were a great deal from Tam's, if you have less than 6 bad boards of the 12 installed, perhaps you can pick up another chassis when they come available to use for parts so that you won't have to scrap the 48 drive monster!
I am actually going to keep it and use it sans Back Plane ill just direct connect to drives, no backplane should improve airflow as well.
post #2406 of 2410 Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Just in case there's any interest, I have 12 4TB drives for sale in the classifeids, and 2 IT Flashed M1015 cards that I'll be posting tomorrow.

Looky here!
post #2407 of 2410 Old 07-11-2015, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What an ordeal.
  • Server arrived in perfect condition on June 10.
  • I immediately began breaking it down to start the "quiet mods".
  • Everything went well. The mods look great, and most importantly, they created a very quiet server.
  • I transferred the disks and PSU from the other case.
  • It wouldn't boot for me. Lights on the mobo would illuminate, fans connected to mobo connectors would spin, but no signal via VGA.
  • I took it to my local repair shop. He took a few days to get to it.
  • He suggested I ask for a new CPU. I did on a Thursday morning. TAMS sent a replacement the next Wednesday.
  • Still no boot with the new CPU. Back to square one.
  • I move the disks and PSU back to the old case so I can watch some movies.
  • I found the Intel version of this board on eBay for $35. Add the CPU for another $12 and I'll use the old RAM.
  • Everything arrives yesterday. New board won't boot. Long repeating beep. Manual says "no memory detected".
  • I order a non-ECC stick for next day delivery. Then I recall I have a loose 2GB stick in the closet.
  • BAM. The server lives!!!
  • I transfer the fourteen disks and PSU over from the old case. Again. Four screws per disk, two times.
  • Initial boot with it sitting in its home on my server rack shows four* missing disks and some dark activity lights. This is on the unRAID gui.
  • I shutdown and add six more molex power connections to the backplane.
  • It boots again. But a few of the lights are still dark. Bottom left and second from left, plus third disk from the top on the left column.
  • Array config confirms the two* bottom row disks are missing. I shutdown and move those to positions three and four in column three.
  • Server boots again, and CONFIGURATION IS VALID.

So, that's my story. 31 days to get to this point. So much work.

Does anyone know the model of the backplane? I'd like to investigate the bottom row not working.

Last edited by jeff.lebowski; 07-11-2015 at 12:22 PM.
post #2408 of 2410 Old 07-18-2015, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.lebowski View Post
What an ordeal.
  • Server arrived in perfect condition on June 10.
  • I immediately began breaking it down to start the "quiet mods".
  • Everything went well. The mods look great, and most importantly, they created a very quiet server.
  • I transferred the disks and PSU from the other case.
  • It wouldn't boot for me. Lights on the mobo would illuminate, fans connected to mobo connectors would spin, but no signal via VGA.
  • I took it to my local repair shop. He took a few days to get to it.
  • He suggested I ask for a new CPU. I did on a Thursday morning. TAMS sent a replacement the next Wednesday.
  • Still no boot with the new CPU. Back to square one.
  • I move the disks and PSU back to the old case so I can watch some movies.
  • I found the Intel version of this board on eBay for $35. Add the CPU for another $12 and I'll use the old RAM.
  • Everything arrives yesterday. New board won't boot. Long repeating beep. Manual says "no memory detected".
  • I order a non-ECC stick for next day delivery. Then I recall I have a loose 2GB stick in the closet.
  • BAM. The server lives!!!
  • I transfer the fourteen disks and PSU over from the old case. Again. Four screws per disk, two times.
  • Initial boot with it sitting in its home on my server rack shows four* missing disks and some dark activity lights. This is on the unRAID gui.
  • I shutdown and add six more molex power connections to the backplane.
  • It boots again. But a few of the lights are still dark. Bottom left and second from left, plus third disk from the top on the left column.
  • Array config confirms the two* bottom row disks are missing. I shutdown and move those to positions three and four in column three.
  • Server boots again, and CONFIGURATION IS VALID.

So, that's my story. 31 days to get to this point. So much work.

Does anyone know the model of the backplane? I'd like to investigate the bottom row not working.
BPN-SAS-846-7EL1
BPN-SAS-826-7EL1

That's the model of the backplane.
post #2409 of 2410 Old 07-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshou1 View Post
BPN-SAS-846-7EL1
BPN-SAS-826-7EL1

That's the model of the backplane.
That's a supermicro SAS expander backplane. I don't recall any of the Tam's units coming with one of these. He's also referring to an AIC server as well.
post #2410 of 2410 Unread Today, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post
That's a supermicro SAS expander backplane. I don't recall any of the Tam's units coming with one of these. He's also referring to an AIC server as well.
Same issues, wait until a single port dies and a drive drops out, my advice, remove the backplane use sata power splitters, or do make your own power cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page