Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Well look no further.... This has got to be the deal of the century!

It is a COMPLETE COMMERCIAL GRADE DATA CENTER SERVER ~ $299!!!!

UPDATE 8/14/12: Okay... Here it is... The news you have been waiting for: <20 units remaining!

2U Supermicro Servers are also available... $189

If you missed out on one of the original machines below... not to worry!

The new machines are in and now being shipped.

The Supermicro Server Specs:

SuperMicro Server Chassis: SC846TQ Link to manual
SuperMicro H8DME-2
Dual Core AMD Opteron, 2212 HE
(3) AOC-SAT2-MV8 Controller Cards
Supermicro AOC-SIM1U(+) & and AOC USB2RJ45
(2) Supermicro 900w pws-902-1r redundant PSUs.
(8GB) Qimonda 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz ECC Registered CL5 240-Pin DIMM

This server is really awesome... and the best thing is... it requires little to no modifications to function in the home environment.

The server comes with a fan wall already installed as well as a plastic shroud that directs the airflow for maximum cooling.

All five cooling fans are 80mm! This makes quieting down this server.... very easy and affordable!

If you would like to be one of the first to get your hands on their new stock... Give them a call at 801-796-1696 or email them at jdye@tamsolutions.com they will gladly put your name on the list for the next available units.

Here are my step by step instructions used to modify the new SuperMicro Server

1. Disconnect all ATX connections from the Motherboard.

7. Then remove all molex connectors from the backplane

15. Press and stick PSU to side of server case and wire up all connection

16. Replace 80mm fans with quieter ones... I used Arctic Cooling fans

17. The HSF that comes stock with server is also a little loud... You may want to change that as well

18. Install Fan Shroud

Thats it... Install drives, OS and ENJOY

smile.gif

If you would like to be one of the first to get your hands on their new stock... Give them a call at 801-796-1696 or email them at jdye@tamsolutions.com they will gladly put your name on the list for the next available units.

A few of these machines may still be available... call for more info...

The info below is just for reference...

Check this link out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2051wt_1204

It is a COMPLETE COMMERCIAL GRADE DATA CENTER SERVER for $199!!!!

The server includes:

AIC RSC-4ED2 - 24 3.5" Hot Swap Server Chassis
SuperMicro H8DME-2 or SuperMicro X7DBE-X
Dual Core AMD Opteron, 2212 HE or Intel Dual Core E5120 or Intel Dual Core E5130 (based on availability)
(3) AOC-SAT2-MV8 Controller Cards
(8GB) Super Talent 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz ECC Registered CL5 240-Pin DIMM
(3) EMACS Zippy M1W-6500P Hot Swap Server 1U PSU

Because of the server's fan sizes... It is very loud! So I did have to make a few inexpensive modifications to the server for it to be quiet enough to work in my home environment.... But if this server is to be stored in a dedicated server room or area where it won't be heard... It will work perfectly right out of the box!

First thing I did was get rid of the (2) Sunon 60mm Case fans, (2) Sunon Blower Fans, and the (3) EMACS Redundant Power Supplies.

I replaced the original case fans with:
(3) SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm Case Fan ... $33.57
Attached to a Norco Fan Wall. Ebay Best Offer of $10 with free shipping... which came directly from Norcotek.

I also swapped out the cases' back window for a (slightly modified) Norco unit: Norco 4220/4224 Back Window ... $22

(2) SilenX EFX-08-15 80mm Case Fan ... $17.98

I also replaced the (3)PSUs with an ATX PSU:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 ... $89.99 after rebate

To clean up the snakes nest of 24" SATA cables... I added another AOC-SAT2-MV8 card to the system. I now have six SATA cables per card. I also used six 18" cables for the shortest runs. This allowed for much cleaner cable management.

Because the motherboard was moved from its original mounting plate, which had the necessary standoffs... new brass standoffs and nuts had to be mounted to the base of the server case to accommodate the position of the motherboard on the new Norco Back Window. I also added four rubber feet to the base of the case to raise it up off the table.

The entire modification process took about an hour

Total cost of the Fully Functioning Server and Modifications: $358.54 before shipping.
Empty Norco 4224 Case. $399.99 before shipping

Here are the current drivers for the SAT2-MV8 cards http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...on=b150%23b150

Here are some before and after pictures... of the case and my modifications.

I am very, very pleased on how this server turned out.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Before:
LL

After:

LL

LL
LL
LL
LL

Taking the server case apart was easy. The build quality is quite good. The entire case is held together with dozens of screws, which are the same size as those needed for the hdd bays.

Disassembly...
1. Detach all wires from motherboard and surrounding hardware.
2. Remove all fans, PCB boards and mounting hardware
3. Remove hard drive, ribbon cable and mount
4. Remove SATA cards from motherboard.
5. Remove ATX screws from motherboard.
6. Remove Motherboard
7. Remove all PSUs and the cover for the fourth
8. Remove all (a few dozen) screws that hold (sides and base) the motherboard tray.
9. Remove motherboard tray and all attached wires.
10. Remove "Back Window" from server case.

I only needed to drill about a dozen holes. Four for the Norco "Back Wall" and the rest for the brass standoffs to hold the motherboard in its new position. I used the already tapped holes to attach the Norco "Fan Wall"

The most difficult/stressful part was attaching the motherboard to the base of the server case...

Assembly:
1. Line up the Norco "Back Window" with the server case
2. Mark and drill holes to line up the already tapped holes in the Norco back window... Two .25" spacers will be needed for each side.
3. Install back window.
4. The Norco back window will need to be modified to allow for a better fit of the server case walls... I think I just made a "larger notch cut" on the top of each side of the back window... the bend it back and fourth with a pair of pliers until it snapped off... Perfect!
5. There are two pins on the top server case cover that are meant to lock into the back window... The Norco window's design will not allow for the pins... so I just tapped them out for a perfect fit.
6. Install the I/O plate
7. Line up the motherboard with the newly installed Norco back window... knock out the PCI slots to be used in the back window
8. Install the SATA cards to the motherboard and back wall to insure a perfect fit... I piece or two of cardboard should be used to raise the motherboard off of the sever case
9. With a marker, through the motherboard's ATX holes, mark the base of the server case for the brass standoffs
10. Remove the SATA cards and motherboard.
11. With a nail set/punch... remark the positions for the brass standoffs
12. Drill the holes for the brass standoffs.
13. Join two brass standoffs for each hole.
14. Screw in each standoff... using a nut on the underside if the brass screw gets stripped. (Tapping holes so that the brass standoffs can be threaded into the case would be ideal)
15. First, line up the motherboard with the newly installed standoffs... Second, install the SATA cards... Third, fasten the motherboard to the brass standoffs.
16. If not installing in a rack... attach/glue four feet to the base of the sever case.
17. Attach Norco Fan Wall with two .25" spacers and screws
18. Install (2) 80mm and (3) 120mm fans... attach wires to motherboard... (For easier installation, fasten only the center120mm fan to the fan wall before install the fan wall to the case.)
19. Install and wire up ATX power supply to all needed sockets and backplanes.
20. Plug in modified power switch
21. With cable management in mind... attach the (24) SATA cable to the SATA cards and backplanes... Using 18" SATA cables for the shorter runs will help keep the case tidy.
22. Install/Mount/Attach OS drive... I used a eSATA adapter attached to the back window for the OS drive and DVD drive... (see, orange sata cables)
23. Double check wiring.
24. POWER IT ON!!!

That's it! With about an hour of tinkering... you will have a 24 bay server that is as quiet as a desktop PC.

DukeTheTechGuy likes this.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
So much for that!
post #3 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's not dead... "This seller is currently away until May 31, 2012, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later."

I spoke to the seller this morning... He has more than 30 available!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #4 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

It's not dead... "This seller is currently away until May 31, 2012, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later."

I spoke to the seller this morning... He has more than 30 available!

I had missed the notification at the top. My apologies.
post #5 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 AM

Does this have an OS already installed?
post #6 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No worries... If you are looking for a 24 bay server... the price will be difficult to beat!

~ Swearengen
post #7 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday View Post

Does this have an OS already installed?

Unfortunately no OS... But WHS 2011 is cheap!

The boards support Windows, Redhat, Linux and unRAID.

I am currently using Windows 7... all hardware drivers are available.

~ Swearengen
post #8 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM

If I read the auction description correctly, it also comes with a 160 gb drive, coincidentally the minimum for a WHS 2011 installation IIRC. Combine the cost of this server, WHS 2011 and FlexRaid, and you're looking at a decent bare server for <250 dollars, which is a good deal. OP, well done. Now to talk the wife into another computer, setup time and figuring out if I can put this in the garage with a powerline ethernet setup...
post #9 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:14 PM

I really wish I knew more about servers. What would the advantage of the second cpu be? Could you just slap any cpu in there as long as it fits physically? Could I just install WHS and flexraid and have one big drive pool and add drives as I need them? Would this serve up HD video well? What about using Plex to access my movies while I'm on the road...would this do that for me? Sorry I'm such a noob, but I'm really interested if it can do these things for me.

Edit: What did they charge for shipping and the special handling fee?
post #10 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

I really wish I knew more about servers. What would the advantage of the second cpu be? Could you just slap any cpu in there as long as it fits physically? Could I just install WHS and flexraid and have one big drive pool and add drives as I need them? Would this serve up HD video well? What about using Plex to access my movies while I'm on the road...would this do that for me? Sorry I'm such a noob, but I'm really interested if it can do these things for me.

Yes, it can do all of those things.

I created a set of step-by-step illustrated guides after I did a bunch of testing. For those interested they are located at www.assassinserver.com.

The people that have used them have given me very good feedback thus far.
post #11 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
There's gotta be a catch.

That being said, I'm probably gonna take a chance on it...
post #12 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

I agree. But looks like a deal.
post #13 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No catch... Really! I know three other people that purchased the same server from this eBay seller.

Just know... That if you are looking for I quiet server... You will need to make some modifications similar to mine.

PS... Make sure you ask for lots of HDD screws.

~ Swearengen
post #14 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I created a set of step-by-step illustrated guides after I did a bunch of testing. For those interested they are located at www.assassinserver.com.

The people that have used them have given me very good feedback thus far.

Thanks, Assassin. This seems like a pretty good deal...would you agree? I bought the guide a day or two after you announced it but haven't finished reading it all. Was working on getting a parts list for a server using your guide when I saw this thread.

I already have your HTPC guide too. Just wanted to say thanks for all you do here and at your blogs. Such a huge help!

I'm still kinda unsure about what a second CPU would do. Is it something I would never even need to worry about? Or is it a feature I would want to use for some reason?
post #15 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, Assassin. This seems like a pretty good deal...would you agree? I bought the guide a day or two after you announced it but haven't finished reading it all. Was working on getting a parts list for a server using your guide when I saw this thread.

I already have your HTPC guide too. Just wanted to say thanks for all you do here and at your blogs. Such a huge help!

I'm still kinda unsure about what a second CPU would do. Is it something I would never even need to worry about? Or is it a feature I would want to use for some reason?

For just a simple home server I think you would be fine with a single dual core.
post #16 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just an FYI... If you go with the AMD version ( which the seller still thinks he has) you could run two AMD Opteron 2419 1.8ghz 6 core 40 watt processors and 128 GB of RAM!

Also... The AMD version comes with 2 x8 PCI-e slots whereas the intel version has none.

Now I have no idea why you would need that... The dual core 2.0 GHz and 8 GB is plenty of horse power for a file server... Which is all I am using it for.

~ Swearengen
post #17 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No catch... Really! I know three other people that purchased the same server from this eBay seller.

Just know... That if you are looking for I quiet server... You will need to make some modifications similar to mine.

Oh, don't you worry. I will.

Thanks for the details and links on your choices.

Now I wish my Sanus rack could've been about 2 feet taller...
post #18 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Edit: What did they charge for shipping and the special handling fee?

I paid ~ $93 from UT to PA... Shipping weight was 77lbs.

~ Swearengen
post #19 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I paid ~ $93 from UT to PA... Shipping weight was 77lbs.

That's very reasonable. Trust me.
post #20 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

assassin -- if we've paid for your HTPC guide, do we need to pay separately for your server guide as well? I've been living in the land of Drobo's and eSATA jbod's. The nuances of different RAID server setups are new to me, and I'm gonna be coming to the party with a crapload less knowledge than I had for HTPC's.
post #21 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Well, I want one. Sent him a message...hope I get one before he sells out. I know he's on vacation, but patience isn't always my strong point.
post #22 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

assassin -- if we've paid for your HTPC guide, do we need to pay separately for your server guide as well? I've been living in the land of Drobo's and eSATA jbod's. The nuances of different RAID server setups are new to me, and I'm gonna be coming to the party with a crapload less knowledge than I had for HTPC's.

I created a second set of guides so I didn't have to increase the price of the HTPC guides since not everyone wants or needs server guides.

I have spent a good deal of time and money thus far to provide the new server guides.

So they are 2 different sites for 2 different machines.
post #23 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotcha.

No biggie.
post #24 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I created a second set of guides so I didn't have to increase the price of the HTPC guides since not everyone wants or needs server guides.

I have spent a good deal of time and money thus far to provide the new server guides.

So they are 2 different sites for 2 different machines.

Both are worth way more than you charge, IMO.
post #25 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

all registered for the server guide.

This should be fun.
post #26 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I want one. Sent him a message...hope I get one before he sells out. I know he's on vacation, but patience isn't always my strong point.

To ask questions and to request an AMD version (which is not listed in ebay) I had better luck contacting them directly via the phone number on their website http://www.tamsolutions.com/contact

I spoke with Jason who was very helpful!

~ Swearengen
post #27 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:31 PM

The case itself is worth the price! Great idea for placing the NORCO fan plate in there, that was one item I noticed on this case no drive cooling.

Why did you swap out the power supplies? Noise? Dead? Those are redundant power supplies meaning if one goes bad the 4th will take over. No system down time while you purchase a new power supply.
post #28 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB View Post

The case itself is worth the price! Great idea for placing the NORCO fan plate in there, that was one item I noticed on this case no drive cooling.

Why did you swap out the power supplies? Noise? Dead? Those are redundant power supplies meaning if one goes bad the 4th will take over. No system down time while you purchase a new power supply.

No kidding.

I'm playing with the idea of swapping out the mobo and processor if/when I get it (lol I haven't even bought it yet and I'm already taking it apart), but the beauty of it is I can see how it performs as-is first.
post #29 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB View Post

These machines are data center servers, usually stored in a room where no one can hear them.

When compared to my other PCs... the fans in this server are very, very loud... F14 LOUD!

The stock 60mm fans run at full blast... all the time. There are two very small fans in each PSU... They too run full blast and go up and down in pitch. I tried running just one... It gave me a headache in about 15 minutes... I can't imagine running three at once!

After my modifications... From ten feet away... I can hardly hear the machine.

As far as the redundancy is concerned... I have the unit plugged into a UPS with a 45 minute window... It will automatically shut down the machine before the battery runs out.

The machine is a media server... If the PSU goes down... I can wait for it to be replaced

~ Swearengen
post #30 of 2270 Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No kidding.

I'm playing with the idea of swapping out the mobo and processor if/when I get it (lol I haven't even bought it yet and I'm already taking it apart), but the beauty of it is I can see how it performs as-is first.

Really???

If you go with the AMD version (which the seller still thinks he has) you could run two AMD Opteron 2419 1.8ghz 6 core 40 watt processors and 128 GB of RAM!

How much more horse power do you need?

BTW... The AMD 2419s can be found on ebay for $10! : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1789wt_1149

~ Swearengen
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page