Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Very easy to do. You will need user accounts established via Windows on the host flexraid runs and once this is done you use the shares applet within flexraid to share folders and assign permissions using the same account names. In fact, if you are going to share flexraid folders permanently you need to do this because if you don't (and establish them via windows explorer instead which you can do), the shares established via windows will disappear if you reboot/restart flexraid.
I just did something very similar to what you plan to do with flexraid. I retired a WHS2011 media server running flexraid and moved it to my main HTPC in the living room so this box is serving double duty as a media client and server for the house. Overall, so far-so good though I did encounter one unexpected gotcha with flexraid that may or may not apply in your case. The HTPC running flexraid is also serving as a tuner client with a home-built Ceton server streaming encrypted cable from another room. When I tried to set WMC to save TV recordings on a flexraid share it would save the content, but also crash WMC if I tried to record live TV. As soon as I switched the recording target to a non-flexraid drive all recording worked properly.
Another nice flexraid feature is the scheduler for automated parity re-calculation.
I used the free version of flexraid for a year or so but happily paid for the licensed version given all of the features previously mentioned within this thread.

I re-read what you said here, I need to make sure the Windows user names and the FlexRaid permissions are setup right. I was tired last night and will try again now. Stand by and I'll try everything again

By the way Brahim from FlexRaid said the following:

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,969.msg8332.html#msg8332
"If you setup a good reserve space, you should not have any issue recording straight to the pool."

I found it in the Wiki
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/29/setting-up-the-storage-pool/
(search for Reserve)

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM

It seems HomeGroup is messing thing s up so I unjoined both computers and disabled HomeGroup sharing. I know HomeGroup was a huge confusing mess at first on WHS 2011 (Windows Home Server) You couldn't activate and use/mix HomeGroup AND default Server share at the same time. You had to pick either one or the other. (HomeGroup over rides everything else no matter what) I think this is the problem and should be in the WiKi. By the way, the user name of HomeGroup is computername\HomeGropuUser$
It's probably not worth experiment getting both to work though from what I said above. Just google HomeGroup WHS 2011 and you'll see the mess.

It seems when HomeGroup is enabled, shares DON"T show up that were created in FlexRaid without sharing them a second time through windows.
Now that HomeGroup is disabled shares created in FlexRaid show up instantly.

It seems that you don't need to share the folder in Windows now at all. Can someone clarify if we are supposed to ever mess with the sharing in Windows once setup in FlexRaid?

Sharing a folder with the same account on both laptops works. (Account JazJon on both)

I tried to access the share from my HTPC (Account Shuttle) and got accessed denied.
I right clicked the share, map network drive, Connect using different credentials, typed in JazJon and my password. But I get:

"The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user name ad password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share."

Shouldn't I be able to connect to the share if I type in the JazJon credentials?

This will be a problem because on Windows 8 you log in with your windows live email account instead of a local account, and need to add JazJon in the Window control panel Credentials manager to connect to shares.

So I kind of have things working but I'm not satisfied until I iron out the questions above.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #33 of 42 Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I have been trying out FlexRaid in a VM environment. Seems excellent so far. Expecially the Tx engine, unlimited data and parity drives face2p.png
post #34 of 42 Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM

I got a response on the FlexRaid forum:

"For simple shares, you don't need to re-create them in Windows.
Once you create your shares in the WebUI, FlexRAID will manage them for you.

Some users have found that they need to re-create the shares in Windows to apply advanced permissions (like NTFS permissions).
The error you are getting is pretty self-descriptive. Windows see that you have share mapped under another user account."

My reply:

"Simple Shares as in KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule applies for sure. I got everything working, and have a plan to share my stuff the way I need/want it to be shared on the network. (good good)

You might want to add to the WiKi the part of not using HomeGroup sharing. (or do some more testing with it to see how to get it working right with FlexRaid) I can live without HomeGroup though since it overrides things and won't let me setup specialized per user level sharing then anyway.

I'll keep testing some more! (fun fun)"

Looks like I got it working.
TL;DR: Don't turn on HomeGroup. Keep shares simple, don't bother sharing through windows ever. (do it all through FlexRaid) Reboot all computers if sharing is wonky. Once it's all working great done and done.

post #35 of 42 Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Yep.

Definitely a steep learning curve to HTPC, Servers, Software Raid, etc.
post #36 of 42 Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjon View Post

By the way Brahim from FlexRaid said the following:
http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,969.msg8332.html#msg8332
"If you setup a good reserve space, you should not have any issue recording straight to the pool."
I found it in the Wiki
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/29/setting-up-the-storage-pool/
(search for Reserve)

Interesting...I was about to buy a larger drive for tv storage outside of flexraid but perhaps I should raise the question within their forum to see if someone can offer a viable solution first. My reserve space was set to 10GB when the recording crashes occurred, so if it is the issue my next question would be how large does this space need to be (or is it something else all together)?
post #37 of 42 Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Interesting...I was about to buy a larger drive for tv storage outside of flexraid but perhaps I should raise the question within their forum to see if someone can offer a viable solution first. My reserve space was set to 10GB when the recording crashes occurred, so if it is the issue my next question would be how large does this space need to be (or is it something else all together)?

Let us know what you find out, curious

post #38 of 42 Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 AM

Liked: 10
Hi

I'm also in a very similar situation as others here. By way of background, I've bought an HP Proliant N40L, where I'm using the supplied 250GB HDD as my OS drive (mounted where the ODD goes). I have installed Win7 Ultimate 64bit on it and it will be hooked up to my TV as an HTPC. I will be putting 3 1TB HDDs into the the Proliant.

Initially I was just thinking of just creating a spanned volume under Win7. However using something like FlexRaid or Drive Bender does seem quite appealing as you will probably be able to better manage your drives. Also FlexRaid has the benefit of adding Raid to the mix. Price wise the they both seem reasonably comparable. Drive Bender is cheaper at US$20, while spooling only for FlexRaid is US$30 (and if you want both spooling and data parity its US$60).

I guess my question is how will each of these hit performance for using the machine as an HTPC, or are all of three of them good for what I want it to do?

I've also come across Liquesce: http://liquesce.codeplex.com/ which seems to be free (at the moment).
post #39 of 42 Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 15
So the one issue I'm having with FlexRaid is trying to move the Client Computers Backup folder via the WHS 2011 console. I was able to delete the other shares in the Windows share console and then I was able to recreate the share in the WHS 2011 console in the new location. I can't do this with the Client Computers Backup folder though. It doesn't show up in the Windows share console. Any ideas?

I get an unexpected error 0x8morenumberhere every time I try to move it.
post #40 of 42 Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0sic View Post

So the one issue I'm having with FlexRaid is trying to move the Client Computers Backup folder via the WHS 2011 console. I was able to delete the other shares in the Windows share console and then I was able to recreate the share in the WHS 2011 console in the new location. I can't do this with the Client Computers Backup folder though. It doesn't show up in the Windows share console. Any ideas?
I get an unexpected error 0x8morenumberhere every time I try to move it.

I just deleted the folder in explorer, hit F5 and then was able to recreate the folder in the correct new flexraid location.
post #41 of 42 Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone have an issue with the Client Computer Backup task not running in WHS? I keep getting the alert for it, wondering if it is because I have my backups on the flexraid storage pool?
post #42 of 42 Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Anyone have an issue with the Client Computer Backup task not running in WHS? I keep getting the alert for it, wondering if it is because I have my backups on the flexraid storage pool?

I have no problem backing up to my Flexraid pool with WHS 2011. I use snapshot if that makes a difference.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page