Ivy Bridge can't find my receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i purchased a 3570k and gigabyte z77m-d3h mobo recently.

After fighting with a few other things, I finally got around to seeing what it would look like on my projector. So I started by connecting a 1920x1080 lcd monitor to my Denon 3310CI receiver. Then connected the receiver to the computer. There is no communication going on between them. If I connect the monitor directly using the same cable, I'm fine, so it isn't the cable or monitor. If I use my old computer with a nvidia card it always detected fine.

I upgraded the firmware for the UEFI, video drivers today, no change. The receiver already has the latest firmware. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. If I try and detect another monitor or something like that, it is as if there is no other monitor connected. Any ideas?

Scott Stephens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm dual booting with linux. When I turned on the receiver while in linux, it had no problem detecting the display. So it looks like a windows 7 driver problem. Still don't know if there is much I can do.

Scott Stephens
post #3 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM

Liked: 10
sstephen,

I am experiencing similiar problems. When running HDMI from my older ASUS mobo to my new AVR (HK 1650) and then HDMI to my HDTV I dont get any display from the HTPC. However, when I run HDMI from my mobo directly to my HDTV I get complete video signal like I had before the AVR upgrade.

A couple of folks around here recommened that I purchase a Radeon HD6450 to see if that fixes anything. I also got the vid card so I can ultimately bitstream HD audio from blurays directly to my AVR.

Not sure this will fix my video display issue when going through the new AVR but I am hoping that it does! I am a little skeptical though....

Vid card should arrive on Friday for me
post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One of the reasons I bought this stuff with ivy bridge was because I didn't want to run another video card. Frankly I've come to think hdmi was nothing more than a marketing ploy. It has NEVER been a time saver for me. I've spent far more time trying to get things to work together than I will ever "save" in button presses to turn on another item. My projector only advertises 1920x1080i in the EDID. My blu-ray player refuses to remember MY overriding that and setting the thing to 1080p, which it obviously does. So I have to redo that every time I connect it or let the projector do the pulldown. I've already spent too much time on this latest. You can find lots of posts of people who have spent time and energy tracking down why some piece of gear won't properly work with some combination of other gear. Add on top of that the chronic upgrades needed. My ps3 won't bitstream DTSHD. My <3yr. old receiver won't pass 3d. None of it will do > 1920x1080 (as far as I know). So when 4k hits, I'll either have to swap out all this gear and buy new, or live with some other deficiency. I've been scammed. It does not sit well with me. I will not buy another expensive receiver. Screw Denon. I'm not going to pay another $1500 for a receiver they allow to become obsolete in < 3 years.

ok, I feel a little better now.

Scott Stephens
post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
Hi

I just upgraded to Intel 3570K and P8Z77-V LK asus motherboard and using on-board HDMI connected to Sony AV AMP which connects a bunch of other things to my Mits HC3800 projector via HDMI.
After playing a bit with audio setting on htpc on Windows8 and MC-player classic with ffdshow, I was able to get 7.1 audio to my amp and a perfect picture (no cropping of 0--15, 250--235) either. I am using the latest video drivers for HD4000 from Intel and asus sound drivers for audio.

I played bunch of mkv's using mplayer-classic and bluray using power-dvd, all seems to work just fine. Also tried smooth svp with madvr, a little bit too much for HD4000 and went back to regular ffdshow.

sonisame
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

So you're going PC->Denon->Monitor, all HDMI and the PC doesn't see the receiver, and you're sure the settings are correct and cables are fine because it works with the old PC.

That's a head-scratcher. Maybe a stupid question, but are both the monitor and receiver turned on?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Don't know if you tried it, but I had a similar issue and tried another input on my denon and it worked.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Don't know if you tried it, but I had a similar issue and tried another input on my denon and it worked.

i need to try this too....now that i think about it i only tried the first two (out of four) inputs...hmm
post #9 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll try another input when I get a chance.

Yes, they were turned on.

Scott Stephens
post #10 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

changing inputs did nothing. Tried my projector instead of monitor. Same problem. If the projector or monitor is hooked directly to the PC, then things work. If connected to the receiver, it is as if there is no connection at all. Linux can see the monitor hooked to the receiver, just not windows.

So it looks like a buggy Intel driver to me. I'll try telling Intel. Bet that will get me nowhere.

Scott Stephens
post #11 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen View Post

changing inputs did nothing. Tried my projector instead of monitor. Same problem. If the projector or monitor is hooked directly to the PC, then things work. If connected to the receiver, it is as if there is no connection at all. Linux can see the monitor hooked to the receiver, just not windows.

So it looks like a buggy Intel driver to me. I'll try telling Intel. Bet that will get me nowhere.

let us know what you find out....im having the same issue still....good luck!
post #12 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

If you hook up the monitor via DVI and the receiver via HDMI, what does Windows report in the audio control panel? It should show the receiver as an HDMI audio device.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

If you hook up the monitor via DVI and the receiver via HDMI, what does Windows report in the audio control panel? It should show the receiver as an HDMI audio device.

im going to try this tonight and see what happens...sstephen needs to try this too
post #14 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

nothing shows for hdmi in the audio control panel if I just have the receiver connected to hdmi
I saw new drivers today on the intel site. They don't help

Scott Stephens
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page