Realtek Optical Audio not showing up in Digital Out tab of Audio Manager - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping to find a simple solution for this. I can't get my motherboard's onboard optical jack (it's a evga nforce 780i) to show up in the Realtek audio manager. Under the Digital Out tab, it lists two RCA SPDIF (SPIDIF in and SPIDIF out) jacks and no optical jacks. Of course, my mobo has no RCA SPDIF jacks, even though they're listed in the Audio Manager application. I have a signal in the optical line (the end lights up red when connected), but no way to enable it in the software.

This is a very frustrating problem since I'm trying to run 5.1 audio through to my new receiver (Yamaha RX-V473). I've listed all the relevant specs for my rig below.

System Specs:
- Windows 7
- eVga nForce 780i mobo
- Optical Out (no other digital/SPDIF jacks)
- Realtek Audio Manager software
- Analog audio via line out works fine for stereo (green jack/center channel)

Any pointers you can provide that will let me activate and use the Optical out via the Realtek Audio Manager would be appreciated. I've already gone and updated to the latest Realtek Audio drivers. As I figure it, I've got a couple possible next steps. First, I can download this sound card and hope that the Optical Out is recognized:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-S...8387948&sr=8-2

(Anyone know if this supports DD Live, or if I need that feature to play video games in 5.1??)

Second, I read in another thread that JRiver's Media Center might fix the issue somehow (i.e. force a signal out through the optical jack). Going to try to get that installed this week. Of course, that costs $50.

Anyone have any experience fixing this very frustrating problem? Right now, I've got a simple 3.5mm line going from my center channel speaker to the receiver's Aux In, which is obviously far from ideal. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I think the optical out will work if you select the SPDIF/out option even if it's listed as coaxial.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, sharangad. I should have mentioned that I've tried that as well. Selecting or de-selecting SPDIF/out does nothing to affect the non-existant audio coming out of the jack.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

What if you select it from control panel/sound?

What's listed in control panel?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharangad View Post

I also tried the control panel route, which just brings up the Realtek Audio Manager application. It just lists the RCA spdif connectors, as I recall (I'm at work right now).

Also, looks like the Asus I linked to won't work, but this one might. I'd of course strongly prefer to not have to drop $80 on a discreet audio card and fix this through software if possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271001
post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharangad View Post

Ok back at home, looking at Control Panel - Sound, it lists (among other outputs) the Realtek Digital Output device. Doubleclicking on that item brings up the Properties window, and in the Jack Information section it just lists "Rear Panel RCA Jack" as the only item. No idea how to get this to recognize the optical as a Digital Out option.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Have you tried a driver from evga.com?

http://www.evga.com/support/download/default.aspx

Not sure this is for your board (evga 780i):

ftp://ftp.evga.com/driver/32bit_vista_win7_r268.exe (32 bit)

ftp://ftp.evga.com/driver/64bit_Vista_Win7_R268.exe (64 bit)
post #8 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Just ran the update and the audio is actually playing now! Just 2.1 apparently but that's WAY better than nothing. Now, I just need to figure out how to get the 6 channel options to come up in the system audio default format.

Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skechada View Post

Just ran the update and the audio is actually playing now! Just 2.1 apparently but that's WAY better than nothing. Now, I just need to figure out how to get the 6 channel options to come up in the system audio default format.

Thanks for your help!

Old thread, but Skechada or anyone else, I'm curious if you ever solved the problem of the optical out only providing 2.1? I have the same board and recently just switched from using the analog Green/Black/Orange cords to a Toslink and I seem to be having the same issue. I am also running Windows 7 and the audio properties do not allow me to change from 2.1 to anything else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page