Would this old mobo work for a server? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was going to upgrade a my HPTC main drive to a SSD and then build a server later. But since I wanted to move the TV cards (2x Duets) into the server I was wondering if I should just try to use my current HTPC as the server and build an ITX box.

The mobo is a Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H mATX HDMI. It only has 2 pcie slots which are using the duet cards.

I've never built a sever before and I'm not sure if there are some decent PCI controller cards for additional hdds and if it's worth it to use them. I would keep the BR drive in the server so I could rip new movies directly to it. That would leave 3 sata and a esata port.

I could just keep Win7 on it and access the hdds as shared drives over my wired network, I do this anyway. Think this could work? Could I reasonably expand the number of drives or should I just build a server from the ground up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Looks like the mobo still has 2 PCI slots. You can get PCI-to-SATAI/II controller card. I have Rosewill 206 or 209. One is SATA I and the other is SATAII.

Despite what someone may tell you, spinning hard drives will never saturate the PCI bus on constant read. Yeah, it may saturate it on a burst from the cache, but that is just a small amount of data. When you are "reading" a movie or a file from the server, the PCI bus will be more than enough.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks. I'll look into it.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248
PCI has a maximum bandwidth of 133 Megabytes per second. Hard drives on the PCI slot is not a problem when streaming movies. Most blurays are around 30 megabits which is 3.75 megabytes. The problem comes in when you read or write multiple files from multiple drives.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 AM

Liked: 10
It looks to me like that is an entirely appropriate server motherboard, and a perfect way to reuse your older hardware.

If you need more SATA ports, you can use the x16 PCIe slot for a higher end adapter card. The x1 PCIe and PCI slots won't give you full SATA bandwidth, but for a home server application that is generally not necessary. (I'm using a x1 PCIe to SATA adapter in my server, BTW)

Since I said that, someone will chime in with a use case where they are streaming blurays to 5 different computers at the same time. /roll eyes/ That's great - I'm talking generalities here.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 10
the mobo is fine.

go to newegg and search using "PCI SATA Controller Card" you find plenty to expand sata slots if you need them.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page