Front end for gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a front end for my living room PC that hopefully looks at my Steam library and automatically imports new purchases. It would also be extremely nice if it directly supported control through a gamepad. I'm really looking for a console gaming experience on my PC.

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM

Liked: 10
It isnt exactly what you are looking for, but I use an addon called my emulators with mediaportal.

I have all the emulators on my pc. snes, nes, genesis, N64, gamecube playsatyion 1 and 2 etc etc. and this program will automatically launch games in those emulators for me, so I can browse and then play buttons at the click of a button.

I am trying to get steam games to work properly but havent toally sorted this yet.

I then have all games being controlled by my xbox 360 wireless controller.

I amn aiming for totally disc free gaming from my couch its nearly there too.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbentley100 View Post

I then have all games being controlled by my xbox 360 wireless controller.

Are you playing MAME games also with your 360 controller? If so, can you map keys with the 360 so you don't need to use the keyboard at all?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You can map all the keys to your 360 controller. So no need for a keyboard.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

Are you playing MAME games also with your 360 controller? If so, can you map keys with the 360 so you don't need to use the keyboard at all?

personally I havent set up MAME yet.

But if the emulator you are using is struggeling with the xbox controller then get eventghost this will map any button you want.

So yes you definately can use the xbox controller

post #6 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I like Rom Collection Browser. It's an XBMC add on that seems to work really well for me. You'll have to setup your emulators to use your gamepad (as you would without XBMC/RCB). I also use a wireless Xbox 360 controller (sometimes 2 if the game calls for it.) The only problem I've had is trying to figure out how to map the controller to the N64 buttons since the Nintendo controller had a different layout with more buttons.

Once you get it setup you should be all set. May have to change permissions on the emulator configuration files so the controller mappings don't change once you are happy with them. Nestopia tries to save the new configs each time you close the program.

I'm confused too.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 93
Moral of the story: A bunch of stuff for emulation, nothing for modern games.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 PM

I dont have any experiance using streaming games, but im sure the forums could help you out. I use mediabrowser with the plugin gamebrowser for all my games, PC, N64, SNES etc. You can use any background files you want, and even have each game or gaming system have its own background.

Gaming systems

Individuals games

You can change the colors, and add information such as # players, type of controller, developer, etc.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

DIY Speaker Cables
http://www.seancoyne.org

post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
You can do this in XBMC too by adding games to the application launcher. You can't auto monitor for new games though as far as I know. The nice thing about it is when you open/close the game, XBMC auto closes/launches. You configure your games individually for use with the gamepad.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Note: Advanced Launcher (And I assume Rom Collector Browser) do not support Samba shares, ie: you have to map a drive if you have your game files on server or another PC on the network.

I didn't want to risk screwing up my network (is there one?) so I haven't attempted it.

That said -

Advanced Launcher works well. You can set it up for Steam and Games For Windows. (select .exe not game emulator)

Once I get the shares/mapped drive thing sorted out, I may stick with it. Otherwise I may pay $17 for Game EX. Not that I need the other features but it also scraps for metadata, but uses EMU Movies for game videos like Hyperspin does.

Your other choice is Game Browser via Media Browser. One thing I don't like about it (well two) is I have to install Media Browser (already setup and using XBMC) and it only gets media data from gamedb, while AL and RCB use All Games, Moby Games, Gamedb and even Google which is good for correct boxes and even console pictures.

So far I have ummm 300+ SNES games give or take correctly showing up with box art and with this minor change to the Confluence default theme. Nice to look at, but the reality is, I may delete a majority of them as I simply don't play them. Nobody else uses my machine at this point, so I may keep them on the drive/server but delete them from Advanced Launcher/XBMC.

I'll post a screen shot later...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Reply Home Theater Computers