Uverse and Cablecards - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before someone bashes me, i know uverse because of its iptv tech. Can't support cablecards, but i was wondering if anyone heard alternative in the works. My friend has a comcast cablecard running wmc 7 and i would love to have something like that for my uverse. Unfortunately in my area it's uverse or nothing. I know the technology is out there with microsoft's mediaroom, it's just a matter of the uverse gatekeepers granting access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
And that is why it will be bye bye to at&t for me next week. Charter is finally rolling out tons of HD content next month an I just picked up a couple HDHD primes on a great sale last week that should be here tomorrow.

post #3 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

And that is why it will be bye bye to at&t for me next week. Charter is finally rolling out tons of HD content next month an I just picked up a couple HDHD primes on a great sale last week that should be here tomorrow.

Lucky you..., i've been writing emails to comcast corporate office in hopes of getting them to expand to my area. Next step is to get a petition started. It's a shame these companies are so short-sighted. I mean even if they charge us the same amount for me to use my htpc as for their dvr. ost tech savy ppl would switch in a heartbeat, but being forwarded thinking and a ceo is an oxymoron.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
AT&T uverse will not support 7MC. They easily could. But AT&T wants to lock its users into a siphon in their bank account. They don't want want their users thinking about 1080 resolution content for free.

My solution is Netflix blu-ray by mail, an antenna for broadcast TV, 7MC and DSL. Of course this is not a solution for those who feel they get their $100 + a month worth.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Isn't there an XBOX app that does U-verse?

If you want to write to someone, write to the FCC or your local representative for allowing a land based content provider to break the FCC ruling of 1996 and 2010, whereby they are required to provide alternatives to their own supplied boxed (aka CableCard law). That law exliuded non-terrestrial providers (aka sattelite), and AT&T's U-Verse is a terrestrial system. Whether it is IPTV or not is irrelevant.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #6 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

If you want to write to someone, write to the FCC or your local representative for allowing a land based content provider to break the FCC ruling of 1996 and 2010, whereby they are required to provide alternatives to their own supplied boxed (aka CableCard law). That law exliuded non-terrestrial providers (aka sattelite), and AT&T's U-Verse is a terrestrial system. Whether it is IPTV or not is irrelevant.

Yes, the xBox app is $100 and only available from at&t.

I think that at&t's iptv protocol is not included in the rulling because the way it is written but I'm not sure.

The CableCARD regs apply to cable companies and Uverse is defined as other delivery method. It seems at&t probably got some sort of a legal opinion to allow them to skate around this reg whereas Verizon, being a slightly better company, didn't.

post #7 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

AT&T uverse will not support 7MC. They easily could. But AT&T wants to lock its users into a siphon in their bank account. They don't want want their users thinking about 1080 resolution content for free.

My solution is Netflix blu-ray by mail, an antenna for broadcast TV, 7MC and DSL. Of course this is not a solution for those who feel they get their $100 + a month worth.

So true! If it weren't for CNN and some other cable only content that my wife watches, I'd do the same. I've checked out what CNN streams on the internet and it isn't much and almost always snippets and not full shows. By switching to Charter with an HDHR the bill suddenly goes down by about $25/month.

at&t could provide an app that works within WMC but they won't. Plus, even if they did they'd probably lock you into their rediculously slow internet and crappy router.
Mrbaduchi likes this.

post #8 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

We really do need to get into the FCC's backside. They haven't been worth a damn since Michael Powell took the reigns. Well also need to create awareness. That whole paying a monthly debt card fee was small compared to having to buy boxes for all of my digital cable devices.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

We really do need to get into the FCC's backside. They haven't been worth a damn since Michael Powell took the reigns. Well also need to create awareness. That whole paying a monthly debt card fee was small compared to having to buy boxes for all of my digital cable devices.

CableCard was the solution for not having to rent boxes from the provider.

WMC+CableCard+Media Center Extender = not having to rent a cable box from provider, and not having to pay a monthly fee to get the guide updates (TiVO, Replay... ect)

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

I think we should all start emailing AT&T until they cave in. I mean if no one complains then they figure it's not a market out there for it.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Or just cancel them.

post #12 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Or just cancel them.

That's a defeatist attitude.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a money saving attitude. Their HD is pretty full of macroblocking anyhow. I'll be seeing how Charter's new SDV looks next week. If it's all good then I'm looking at about $40/month in my pocket when you consider the cost of 2 extra boxes for a whole home solution. If at&t wants my business they can provide the CableCARD or more likely software solution.

post #14 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's a money saving attitude. Their HD is pretty full of macroblocking anyhow. I'll be seeing how Charter's new SDV looks next week. If it's all good then I'm looking at about $40/month in my pocket when you consider the cost of 2 extra boxes for a whole home solution. If at&t wants my business they can provide the CableCARD or more likely software solution.

You're right, but in my area it's uverse or nothing. So my only other option besides cancellation is to keep call the corporate office and sending emails. I just figured if enough people get behind it uverse my actually listen.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

There's no Cable Co in your area?

I guess I just thought CATV was everywhere.

post #16 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There's no Cable Co in your area?

I guess I just thought CATV was everywhere.

I stay downtown Houston, so no fios, and Comcast says they do not service this area.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

My first thought was comcast but they don't service downtown Houston.. that is odd indeed.

post #18 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah i checked around and they don't service any place in a 2 mile radius of me. I wish someone could break at&ts encryption and get it to work with microsofts mediaroom 2.0. I mean their dvrs are already running a version of mdeiaroom right now.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Isn't there another provider, like wavevision or something? I googled cable tv in houston area and found that there's several providers.

post #20 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Isn't there another provider, like wavevision or something? I googled cable tv in houston area and found that there's several providers.

There is several but it depends on the area you stay in.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay. So why can't you get service from the one that services the area you are staying in to hook up an HDHomerun Prime or Ceton InfinTV 4?

post #22 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay. So why can't you get service from the one that services the area you are staying in to hook up an HDHomerun Prime or Ceton InfinTV 4?

unfortunately uverse is the only provider in my area. I'm just going to have to request comcast do a site survey in my apartments. Then see if they can provide service for me.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy980 View Post

unfortunately uverse is the only provider in my area. I'm just going to have to request comcast do a site survey in my apartments. Then see if they can provide service for me.

I know this is an old thread but i was also looking for a better solution for DVR setups and this thread popped up. just to be a ray of shining hope, Comcast just allocated about $2 million to build out a lot of buildings in downtown so you might be in luck in a few months

go big or go home
post #24 of 24 Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I'd say pretty unlikely, it's really more of a property owner decision when you're in an apartment

Apartment owners actaully market uverse like it's some kind of selling point, and they've got zero interest in bringing more options to their renters

I wouldn't put it past the regional sales divisions to offer some really nice perks for their loyalty as well
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page