Windows 8 Release Preview available - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Installing now. Will report back. Feel free to use this thread to report your experiences and questions.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...dows8RPPR.aspx

Download page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Apparently Media Center has been removed from the default install, as it will be in the final version.

If you want to demo the upgrade to the Media Center pack, there's something about it in the FAQ:

Quote:

Windows Media Center is not preinstalled in Windows 8 Release Preview. If you want to use Windows Media Center, you need to add it by following these steps:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Add features to Windows 8 .

Tap or click I already have a product key.

Enter this product key: MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7 and then click Next.

Select the checkbox to accept the license terms and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart and Windows Media Center will now be on your PC and the tile will be pinned to the Start screen.

Not home to try this myself, but I'm pretty sure that it'll still be identical to the Windows 7 version though.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ill be trying this out this weekend, and Ill grab the MC addon
post #4 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Apparently Media Center has been removed from the default install, as it will be in the final version.

If you want to demo the upgrade to the Media Center pack, there's something about it in the FAQ:

Not home to try this myself, but I'm pretty sure that it'll still be identical to the Windows 7 version though.

This is not working. First of all, the directions don't work. Typing "add features" in the metro search bar brings up nothing. I did find "add features to Windows 8" under "System and Security" in the control panel though. However, when trying to complete the steps I get an error saying "something went wrong". So at least for me, WMC is a no go right now.
post #5 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well besides WMC not working right now (I use Plex anyway), I'm really enjoying the new build. I've already described in another thread why I think Windows 8 is great for HTPC users. Compared to the Consumer Preview the Release Preview has a bit more polish (some of the context menus make more sense now). Microsoft also added more of their own metro apps: news, travel, and sports, which all look very pretty. Some of the previous apps like mail are improved. There are also a few more color options for the metro interface. There's also limited flash support for the metro IE browser, but I haven't tested it out. I'll let you know what else I find.

Btw, I installed the Windows 7 versions of the latest ATI drivers. Set installer to Windows 7 compatibility mode and ran as administrator. There is a Windows 8 installer, but I had problems with it back on the consumer preview. Might work now though.
post #6 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

This is not working. First of all, the directions don't work. Typing "add features" in the metro search bar brings up nothing. I did find "add features to Windows 8" under "System and Security" in the control panel though. However, when trying to complete the steps I get an error saying "something went wrong". So at least for me, WMC is a no go right now.

I wonder if maybe the MC pack isn't live yet or something, since I pulled that right from the Microsoft site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/faq

post #7 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 13
Its so unbelievably pathetic that their instructions are in touchscreen first and then secondary instructions are how to do it with a mouse as if it was spanish. Windows 8 is going to be a complete disaster with thinking like this.
post #8 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone confirm that Windows Media Center is available and install-able right now in the release preview?

I just downloaded the 8RP, but I'm gonna stay on 8CP until I'm sure media center is working... I need my WMC DVR...
post #9 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I just installed the WMC addon in the Release Preview. That being said, I wouldn't do it without making a backup first.

post #10 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Liked: 32
They need to stop using Flash. Flash is so 20th century, now that HTML5 is becoming the better standard in delivering video content. Of course, MS will never get rid of their TragicX either.
post #11 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I just installed the WMC addon in the Release Preview. That being said, I wouldn't do it without making a backup first.

Weird. It's still not working for me. I assume you installed through the add features section in the control panel?
post #12 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Liked: 12
I upgraded from W8CP to W8RC without issue. Both W8CP WiFi issues are fixed; Linksys WRT320N in 5Ghz N mode is now showing up in the list of WiFi APs previously it never showed up on any of W8CP notebooks, and WiFi connects in a couple seconds previously took 45 seconds on Dell 15z. I've got no issues with W8RC -- so far.

I have yet to test a showstopper with W8CP. My Sony VPS111FM notebook light sensor always dimmed the screen during boot. It would never come out of dim. I found no native W8 solution and had to reinstall W7.

Update 1-Jul-2012: Had to install a W7 driver for my Dell XPS 15z notebook. The Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller barely broke 1Mbps with W8RC driver (IIRC, same issue with all W8 releases). After installing W7 driver, throughput was close to maximum of 1Gbps. So don't assume W8 default drivers will perform optimally. It's best to keep those OEM W7 drivers around just in case.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #13 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Weird. It's still not working for me. I assume you installed through the add features section in the control panel?

I did it through Start, typing "Add features" and selecting the settings group where it displayed there.

My guess though is that it's server issues; I've had a lot of weird crap happening with Microsoft services in Metro apps all last night, including my Skydrive occasionally acting funny, so I suspect it's just heavy load the first day of testing.

Also, so far as I can tell, Media Center in Windows 8 is completely identical to Media Center in Windows 7, as I expected.

post #14 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did it through Start, typing "Add features" and selecting the settings group where it displayed there.

My guess though is that it's server issues; I've had a lot of weird crap happening with Microsoft services in Metro apps all last night, including my Skydrive occasionally acting funny, so I suspect it's just heavy load the first day of testing.

Also, so far as I can tell, Media Center in Windows 8 is completely identical to Media Center in Windows 7, as I expected.

Well, I just upgraded my 2nd HTPC to the release preview and WMC installed fine. It still won't install on the 1st one. Maybe I broke something. Moral of the story: make sure you add WMC before you make any other changes to your PC.
post #15 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

Its so unbelievably pathetic that their instructions are in touchscreen first and then secondary instructions are how to do it with a mouse as if it was spanish. Windows 8 is going to be a complete disaster with thinking like this.

Because touch will become the primary way of interfacing with our devices; whether we like it or not.
Most displays will come with touch; even laptops and desktops.
There isn't much profit left in these items now. You can get Core i series laptops from under $400.
Putting more features; touchscreens for instance, allows for better profit margins for manufacturers.
So far, (Windows) touchscreen products have not take off due to limitations of Windows OSes. With Windows 8, manufacturers can offer a better touch-based experience. With the hardware and software coming together it should take off.

I have used the Developer, Consumer and now the Release Preview on a Touchscreen Tablet PC and I can tell you I have had no problems whatsoever, running regular desktop programs. It runs all the programs that I run on Win7, including Office 2010, Nero, VLC etc
I have used Windows 8 extensively and navigating it with a mouse and keyboard is no problem.

I believe that MS has chosen the right approach, it just seems so radical a departure from their regular Windows experience that people are either hating or loving it. MS had to do something radical to shake things up. If they sit back and wait, they get criticized for being old, stuffy and imitators. I am excited to see what hardware manufacturers come up with in the next few months.

The AMD-based Acer Iconia W500 is sold for $500. If more manufacturers can come up with something similar at the same price point, Windows 8 x86-Tablets could eat into laptop margins and become a big hit.
post #16 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM

I actually don't find the change that radical. I think its a psychological change for many. The metro UI is the start menu, and that's the only time I use it unless there's some app I like. Otherwise, the function is 99% Win7, just a cleaner more modern look that still has aero as a certain site incorrectly said it wouldn't. I think its really apparent to me because I use 2 monitors on my desktop, so even with metro open I pretty much only use the desktop. So eventually I just began closing the metro UI. I could see how if the second monitor were a touch screen, it would be really quick and useful. If I had a Wacom type pen interface I could see it really working as well. I think as more touch devices are used, we will see metro as more useful. But for now, if you just have a mouse, enjoy the increased performance and better underpinning programs that have improved tenfold over the years. Not to mention this is a huge stability upgrade from the glitches of the Consumer Preview.

When wanting to install WMC, type add features and look to the right. There will be a couple of categories below the search in the upper right. That's where you will find the add features to windows 8
post #17 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Liked: 11
After installing this version of Win 8 with a clean install I come up with the same problems I did in the Consumer Preview. When using cable card, the default driver for a clean install does not support HDCP...so no premium channels.

The cable card advisor does not recognize i3, i5, i7 graphics as supported...so you have to use the workaround for that.

Using the win 8 beta version of the intel graphics driver does not work well. Copy Once content still fails with the beta driver on intel's site and, the beta driver reintroduces the "flicker" problem found in some earlier drivers.

I have not been successful getting the Win 7 motherboard version of the driver to install.

Otherwise, it kind of works. Needless to say, I am disappointed with the level of support from Microsoft on this issue.
post #18 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

Otherwise, the function is 99% Win7, just a cleaner more modern look that still has aero as a certain site incorrectly said it wouldn't.

The certain site said the release candidate would have aero, the actual release would not.
post #19 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Been playing around with 8PR (running in a VM), and I'm still not convinced. Haven't had a chance to test 8MC yet, but not expecting much there either.

The PR feels quicker, and more polished, but doesn't seem much different to the CP. I actually like the visual changes MS have done with the desktop though. The flat, squared off look to the windows looks more professional, so I can see this working well, but Metro is still hit and miss. It really, really needs a touchscreen to work effectively. No amount of keyboard & mouse work is going to make things go smoothly. I've even spent some time seeing if the standard MC remote works in Metro, and again, it's a bit erratic.

Navigating the Metro UI just about works, but the back button on the remote doesn't work all the time, especially in some apps. Scrolling using the remote is jumpy as well, and while you can navigate and launch some apps, others just don't work. I guess it's not explicity written for 'remote control' but for people wanting to use it on big screens from a few feet away, it would be nice. Maybe MS want us all to buy Kinect for that to work!
post #20 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

The certain site said the release candidate would have aero, the actual release would not.

Is the certain site we're talking about Microsoft.com? Because that's where this information is originally coming from.

The final release definitely will not have Aero.

post #21 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mic...dist=afterbell

John Dvorak's Second Opinion Archives | Email alerts

June 1, 2012, 2:38 p.m. EDT

Microsoft reinvents the wheel with Windows 8
By John C. Dvorak
BERKELEY, Calif. (MarketWatch) I am writing this review on a computer that runs Windows Vista. It's not that bad.

Generally speaking, I like Microsoft Corp. and what it has done. Over the years, I've even supported the idea that Microsoft's Bob interface was mismarketed and actually was unique and interesting.

That said, Windows 8 looks to me to be an unmitigated disaster that could decidedly hurt the company and its future.

Reuters
The Windows 8 Consumer Preview presentation in February.
This opinion is based on using the new release candidate beta that is pretty much what will finally ship after some bug fixes.

It's not that the product out-and-out stinks. It is refreshingly slick-looking and modern, albeit without any charm whatsoever.

The real problem is that it is both unusable and annoying. It makes your teeth itch as you keep asking, Why are they doing this!?

First of all, the system-software product is mostly divorced from all the thought and trends developed by Windows over the years, as if to say that they were wrong the whole time, so let's try something altogether new.

No business will tolerate this software, let me assure you. As a productivity tool, it is unusable.

Most applications cannot even be scaled down and so take up the whole screen. To even get out of these apps, you have to ram the cursor down into the lower left corner and click. That puts you back onto the vapid Metro start screen, where you can begin another miserable adventure.

Click to Play Clicking 'Like' can get you firedWatch why your Facebook "likes" could get you in trouble at work, and how artisanal pizza can be made at home.

Do you work on a huge 27-inch or bigger monitor? You know, so you have room to organize your programs and files? Well, imagine everything running full screen on that. It's a joke.

There is an old-fashioned desktop you can visit, but whenever the OS gets the chance, it throws you back onto the Metro interface. For those of us who thought we could avoid Metro and live on the desktop screen, we are going to be sorely disappointed.

This is a problem for Microsoft investors. The potential for this OS to be an unrecoverable disaster for the company is at the highest possible level I've ever seen. It ranks up there with the potential for disaster that the Itanium chip presented for Intel Corp. It's that bad.

I have no idea why Microsoft would take such an enormous gamble on its cash cow like this. Incremental changes were a theme at Redmond, Wash.; this is a radical departure.

What is this departure based on? It's based on the pipe dream that the unsuccessful user interface used by Windows Phone will turn into a success on the tablet to such an extreme that people will also demand it on the desktop, so all the platforms can have the same look and feel.

This is insanity, plain and simple. It's even more nuts knowing that nobody is waiting in line to buy Windows Phone in the first place, and the tablet is untested in the market. So the company jumps ahead to the desktop?

I admit that I did not like the Metro interface from the minute I saw it. But the early developers' beta of Windows 8 did show some promise of letting me hang out on the desktop and avoid Metro completely. This no longer looks to be the case.

Microsoft and Apple Inc. have trained their users and penetrated the market (especially the enterprise market) to the limit. Now Microsoft wants to take all the habits and workflows and new skill sets we've developed and toss them into the bin for this? Who at Microsoft signed off on this? Do they even use computers?

The public and enterprise users are going to demand Windows 7 throughout 2013 and until Microsoft gives up on this soulless Metro interface and gets a new design team, fast.
post #22 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

Been playing around with 8PR (running in a VM), and I'm still not convinced.

There's your problem.
I don't think you can get the 'best' experience of a pre-release OS on a VM. If you have a spare machine or even dual-boot your existing one, it will be a much better experience. I have successfully dual-booted the DP with my existing Win 7 laptop, then the CP and now am running the RP.
Using a mouse, scrolling through Metro is the same as any other program, I certainly never saw any lag. In fact it is faster than touch, since with touch, I have to scroll within the limits of my screen. With the mouse there is no such limitation.
post #23 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Microsoft reinvents the wheel with Windows 8
By John C. Dvorak

Time will tell what happens in this case, but I think it's important to keep in mind that Dvorak is also the same guy who railed against the mouse when it was first introduced, and claimed that Apple needed to pull the plug on the iPhone before it destroyed the company.

post #24 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This Windows 8 hate is blown way out of proportion. For desktop users the major difference is the start menu is full screen instead of a small window in the bottom left corner. That's really it. Most everyone who is bashing it probably hasn't actually tested it extensively to realize that this presents a relatively minor change. I personally prefer the Windows 7 start menu for desktop use (although the metro one is much better for HTPC use), but it's just not that big of a deal.

People also tend to forget all the others awesome improvements in Windows 8 and just focus on metro. Here are just a few:

-substantially improved copy and paste
-better resource monitor
-much improved dual monitor support
-file history
-storage spaces
-syncing settings between multiple computers
-anti-virus included by default (this will save me many headaches with my family's computers)
-faster boot time

Windows 8 will not be a disaster. It's mostly just Windows 7 with a UI change. Unlike Vista, Windows 8 will be stable and fast from the start with good driver support. People are just going to have to try the UI for themselves to realize it's not a big change.
post #25 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

This Windows 8 hate is blown way out of proportion. For desktop users the major difference is the start menu is full screen instead of a small window in the bottom left corner. That's really it. Most everyone who is bashing it probably hasn't actually tested it extensively to realize that this presents a relatively minor change. I personally prefer the Windows 7 start menu for desktop use (although the metro one is much better for HTPC use), but it's just not that big of a deal.

People also tend to forget all the others awesome improvements in Windows 8 and just focus on metro. Here are just a few:

-substantially improved copy and paste
-better resource monitor
-much improved dual monitor support
-file history
-storage spaces
-syncing settings between multiple computers
-anti-virus included by default (this will save me many headaches with my family's computers)
-faster boot time

Windows 8 will not be a disaster. It's mostly just Windows 7 with a UI change. Unlike Vista, Windows 8 will be stable and fast from the start with good driver support. People are just going to have to try the UI for themselves to realize it's not a big change.

Agreed. Windows 8 is probably an early transition to a new type of Windows interface in the future, but besides the Metro start menu, it's just a streamlined Windows 7 with the improvements listed.
post #26 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

The AMD-based Acer Iconia W500 is sold for $500. If more manufacturers can come up with something similar at the same price point, Windows 8 x86-Tablets could eat into laptop margins and become a big hit.

And the W500 works just fine without Metro getting in the way.
post #27 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

[url]John C. Dvorak: "No business will tolerate this software, let me assure you. As a productivity tool, it is unusable."

I do find sometimes there is a different opinion, depending on if one is primarily a consumer or a creator. For example, I work in IT using MS Visual Studio, and also use Adobe CS5 to edit video as a hobby. I might build/create things that persons could consume on various devices, but I am not going to do the creating on the devices, particularly the tablet and other portable devices so popular with the consumers. I am not sure how Metro or touch screen is going to help me debug code or splice video, although it could be fun for a consumer to play with as an interface to access procedures or media. Some of the cute stuff that might be fine for consumers is not necessarily going to fly for the creators, and we will see if Dvorak is right or not in terms of the business use. Maybe MS could get into trouble if they go after the consumer market at the expense of the creator market.
post #28 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I don't see how Metro improves anyone's workflow. It might make it easier to get to Facebook or your email, but that's not what computers are all about.
post #29 of 41 Old 06-02-2012, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

This Windows 8 hate is blown way out of proportion. For desktop users the major difference is the start menu is full screen instead of a small window in the bottom left corner...

People also tend to forget all the others awesome improvements in Windows 8 and just focus on metro. Here are just a few:...

I agree that these are improvements, but the start menu change is not minor, because it means that the metro interface cannot be disabled, which means that the desktop user has to navigate two interfaces, almost two operating systems, an appropriate and an inappropriate one, in order to use Windows 8. This is in addition to losing the start menu functionality.

I am weighing up the improvements against the inability to disable metro and to me they are coming up about equal.
post #30 of 41 Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Windows 8 will only be judged a success if corporates adopt it, as that's where all the money is. Most are only just starting to think about moving to Win7, so Win8 could be years away from being seen on corporate desktops.

It might work for laptop/tablet users (with touch enabled screens), but corporates will stick to traditional desktops, and Metro will not work in this environment. I also work in IT in a medium sized business. We've been migrating to Win7 for about 18 months now, and it's still not finished. No way on earth I would recommend Win8/Metro for our company desktops.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page