Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 123 Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I still don't understand why "inexpensive" is a criteria at all. It's no different than buying a car, a refrigerator, or an AVR. You can pay a lot or you can pay a little, but it doesn't alter the fundamental nature of the item. Kia or Mercedes, it's still a car; Whirpool or Sub-Zero, it's still a fridge; McIntosh or Sherwood, it's still an AVR. And you can pay $1000 or $300 for an htpc, it's still an htpc.
I don't see "inexpensive" as a criteria for being an HTPC, but rather the inverse - an HTPC does not need to be expensive. Sure, you can make an expensive HTPC; this is especially true if you are making a more general-use system to do gaming and/or server duties; but a good "baseline" HTPC can be very inexpensive. However, every time someone suggests that you need a discrete video card, that you need a high-end processor, because of those you will need a high wattage power supply, and that all of this has to cost upwards of $1000 for an HTPC they are doing a disservice to the community here, driving people away from the very idea of having an HTPC at all.

This same thing happens in general computing as well. People ask what it takes to build a "decent" computer and some gaming geek stats out a $4000 monstrosity for them when the person is really only asking for an internet box; and because of this many people see build-it-yourself computers as unnecessarily expensive so wind up buying an HP or Gateway or whatever. The problem is that people are very poor at judging how much PC they need and is compounded by the fact that many people who do custom builds (or who frequent forums like this) are all too eager to suggest and/or build the most expensive PC to fit the bill, all under the mistaken assumption that "the guy might need it someday, so he may as well get it now."

--
Eric B. Smith
The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't disagree with that at all, but the biggest single variable may be the case. You can put exactly the same components in a $29 case or a $1000 case. I don't see that changes the nature or functionality at all.

Similarly, people look for deals to get $39 400w PSUs all the time; I tend to pick the 400w PSU I want to use even though it may cost me $79. Again, I consider that nothing more than a matter of personal choice.

I'm not really talking about changing the nature of the components, such as putting in a i7-3960X Extreme Edition. The cpu may be the component where there is the most direct correlation between change in price and change in nature or performance. But if somebody wants to put a G620 in an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z motherboard rather than the $15 ECS board, it's going to work the same, and I don't think it changes the nature of the system.

So I guess my point is that you can have vast variance in cost without changing the nature or functionality or even performance at all. At the same time, I agree 100% that people shouldn't be told that they NEED to spend a ton of money.
post #123 of 123 Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Haven't you looked at Intel 7 Series chipset microATX mb yet? The majority of H77/Z77 chipset mircroATX mb (precisely speaking, 15 out of the total 22 found at Newegg.com) don't have PCI slot any longer.
Can't say that I have since I'm not currently in the market for one. Good to hear that some of the newer boards are finally doing away with an obsolete slot that few people have need of these days.
BTW - Nice to see you're alive and well. Rumors of your demise are obviously exaggerated.wink.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page