Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

Personally. I love Chrome. It does not crash on me, I love the ability to have the same bookmarks/history/cookies on all my PCs (yeah, I know Firefox offers the same type of thing) and I never have problems with it. The only time I use IE is for specific work related web apps that only work with IE, and the only time I use Firefox is when I'm on my Lapdock. Can't wait for my Droid 4 to get ICS so that I can be running Webtop 3.0 which uses Chrome instead of Firefox.

I scrapped Firefox and IE because of the memory leaks. About 3 days and a goodly number of concurrent sessions and the whole system slows down and then nothing else can start and then it locks up.

Firefox often crashes instantly during startup if your system has more than 4 processors. They fix it, it works, they update it, it breaks, they have a circumvention it works... Chrome just works with up to 8 processors, what happens with more I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have almost no crashes on Chrome at work and home. I do a lot of researching at work with 10+ tabs open at all times and i still never get crashes.

You have other issues. Maybe a misbehaving extension, bad flash installation, or something else.

You can try CoolNovo, which is a Chrome-based browser. It may work if you hosed your chrome install but your system is otherwise OK.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm hooked on FF for the ABP and noscript plugins.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I'm in the opposite camp. I've been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix. About 4 months ago, Is switched to Chrome due to memory leaks in Firefox (I would leave it open for a day and it would be using 2.5GB of RAM and unresponsive). Chrome doesn't have these issues for me.
Different strokes for different folks

I switched after FF v4.something came out. Looking at forums threads with lots of pics (like the show off your home theater thread) would cause it to crash
Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Same here.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The PC connected to our main set is almost always used with a browser (Chrome). It sees a lot of NetFlix, Facebook SCRABBLE and foreign TV such as NHK and AlJezeera, all of which work better from a browser. Stored media is either launched from Windows Explorer or Ant Movie Catalog. To play a DVD just stick it in the drive and it auto plays in MPC-HC. Music plays from WinAmp. I guess because I'm not using WMC or XBMC or some other shell many of you guys won't allow me to call it an HTPC but....
Old 06-03-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Chrome is a crashing bust for me too--I have been giving it a try lately. I hate that stupid face that says "something is wrong". Firefox has too many incompatibilities and stability issues. IE is my favored browser still.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Been using Chrome for quite awhile now and haven't had any issues. I like it and has worked fine for me.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by Ruiner
Same here.

I use 2008 R2 server at work.
ABP doesn't crash Chome, but make whole server literally hung for 10-30 seconds, when I close Chome tab or window.
I think it's the only program I use, can make 2008 R2 "unresponsive"
I abandoned FF for Chome some time ago, but have to start using it again
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

Chrome is a crashing bust for me too--I have been giving it a try lately. I hate that stupid face that says "something is wrong". Firefox has too many incompatibilities and stability issues. IE is my favored browser still.

You don't get "Its Dead Jim" referencing Star Trek?

After my disappointment with a crash and I get that, I smile... Can't help it...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I refuse to use a browser published by one of the planet's biggest data mining companies.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Who uses a browser on an HTPC?

I use Chrome everyday for 2-4 hours on my htpc. I would much rather browse the web from my couch and watch videos on my big screen tv than my tiny laptop or phone. I can't even remember the last time I pulled my laptop out. I'm typing this out on my Lenovo backlit htpc remote right now.

I think Chrome has maybe crashed on me 2 or 3 times since I started using it 2 years ago. I never have any problems. Both Chrome and Firefox are similar in page load speeds but Firefox is dog slow in UI responsiveness. They are working on that now with project snappy, supernappy, and eventually process per tab electrolysis, but Chrome has it easily beat right now in overall speed. Not to mention I love Google sync and it's built in translator/pdf viewer/flash blocker. Flash videos play smoother in Chrome and it doesn't suffer from the random cpu spikes that have been plaguing Firefox since the beginning of time.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Once again, nobody is saying what version of Windows you are using.

Today I was playing with a laptop at Costco, and there is demo showing how much faster IE runs against Chrome using Windows 7.

It's not unheard of Microsoft doesn't quite release EVERYTHING there is to know about the latest version of Windows to vendors to get a leg up, at least for a little while. Chrome will catch up, eventually. Is the browser music chair all over again, for you who's been around long enough.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Chrome is extremely fast. Yes, I'm using Windows 7. IE has gotten a lot better but it's lack of extensions and ability to customize is a deal breaker. It could load pages quicker than I can blink but I still wouldn't use it do to that reason.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I use all the major browser mostly for testing, I really don't see much diffence between them outside of the different extensions.

If I would have to pick my least favorite it would be Opera. I don't get all the fuss about browsers.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Liked: 12
I tried IE9 but it had too many problems with certain sites. Most notably with forums running vBulletin and their "new posts" button.

I used IE8 but it has problems with the back button and prohibiting third party cookies. Most notably with google third party cookies and returning to a blank page.

I am now using Chrome and it seems to have problems with the back button just hanging. I get the spinning circle and it says "waiting for site xyz" but nothing ever happens. This isnt an infrequent occurrance either.

So they all have problems for me. I guess I should try firefox.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
IE10 will not allow tracking by default.

Keep the tracking of your activity across internet confidential.

Internet Explorer 10 To Enable "Do Not Track" By Default

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new..._track_default

By default, IE10 will have the "Do Not Track" opt-out signal enabled to keep white hat marketers and web masters from tracking users across the Net.

Do Not Track is a voluntary standard, so nefarious advertising networks can still ignore the request, but having it enabled by default in the browser that ships with the world's most popular OS is a major step forward for privacy advocates. (Conversely, it's a big step back for Internet marketers.) Virtually all major browsers include a DNT feature, but IE10 will be the first to have it running out of the box.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a good move, but from what I understand most websites don't take the do not track seriously, and just ignore it. You are better off using IEs built in privacy feature and using Fanboys tracking list. You can also add an ad blocking list if you want while you're there as well.

http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ie.html
Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicko2 View Post

I am now using Chrome and it seems to have problems with the back button just hanging. I get the spinning circle and it says "waiting for site xyz" but nothing ever happens. This isnt an infrequent occurrance either.

This has happened to me before and if you do a google search you will get a lot of hits. There are two things you can try to fix the problem.

Go to settings and uncheck
Predict network actions to improve page load performance

Then go to change proxy settings->LAN settings and make sure all the boxes are unchecked, specifically the one that says automatically detect settings.

After doing these 2 things I don't get hangs anymore.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Go to settings and uncheck
Predict network actions to improve page load performance

Then go to change proxy settings->LAN settings and make sure all the boxes are unchecked, specifically the one that says automatically detect settings.

It doesnt work for me. That's what I've been running for months now.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had switched to Chrome at one point and liked it. Worked great. But then some moron at Google took away side tabs and I've been on Firefox ever since.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I take it you cleared the cache?