Online Storage? Crashplan? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with crashplan? Looks like they may be the best to do offsite cloud storage of critical files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliel View Post

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with crashplan? Looks like they may be the best to do offsite cloud storage of critical files?

Crashplan has a free service where you can upload to a friend.

So basically you put an external drive on a parents or friends PC and it uploads your info there for you for free. Its encrypted so they can't access it.

I am considering this as well. My parents have a freaking Mac though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you need cloud storage or online backup? They're two different usage patterns. As a software developer, I need online backup. I have ever changing small files (programs, tests, client software) that I want to have uploaded with multiple versions kept, all automatically. I use multiple levels of backup because they're really cheap so why not use two. I use both CrashPlan and JungleDisk. Both Amazon based, I believe. I setup CrashPlan to backup every 15 minutes, JungleDisk once a day at 3am.

Quality of backup is largely all about the client software that sits on your computer. I looked at many, many online backup services. Many of the clients had flawed UI or features. I now like CrashPlan's client the best. JungleDisk, formerly my favorite, seems to be orphaned. CloudBerry was ok.

I absolutely give CrashPlan a big thumbs up.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #4 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

You can pay and do online as well which gives me more piece of mind as well. Its certainly more scalable and cheaper than say Dropbox
post #5 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I actually didn't realize how affordable Crashplan is. I just chose the 2 year subscription for about $3/yr or so. Backing up all non-HTPC (personal) stuff now from my server.

post #6 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I agree assassin! I was looking to build a server, but I think I am going to pass and use crash plan instead.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree assassin! I was looking to build a server, but I think I am going to pass and use crash plan instead.

Do both!

post #8 of 26 Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Do both!

When I get into my new house, I'm strongly considering this. Backup C: images of each PC to the server, as well as file/folder duplication of "My Documents". Then CrashPlan the server's "My Documents". Crashplans are per PC, so backup each computer to it's own folder on the server, then backup those folders to crashplan. The Unlimited data plan looks to be the best deal.

Keep in mind, cloud storage could become a big bandwidth hog, especially that first upload.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post

When I get into my new house, I'm strongly considering this. Backup C: images of each PC to the server, as well as file/folder duplication of "My Documents". Then CrashPlan the server's "My Documents". Crashplans are per PC, so backup each computer to it's own folder on the server, then backup those folders to crashplan. The Unlimited data plan looks to be the best deal.

Keep in mind, cloud storage could become a big bandwidth hog, especially that first upload.

I am uploading 93GB of family pics, home camcorder movies and documents. No HTPC related stuff at all as that is all replaceable.

It will take 9 days per Crashplan.

post #10 of 26 Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I actually didn't realize how affordable Crashplan is. I just chose the 2 year subscription for about $3/yr or so. Backing up all non-HTPC (personal) stuff now from my server.

Do you mean $3/mo not yr?

Are you running CrashPlan+ Unlimited? From WHS2011?

post #11 of 26 Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Do you mean $3/mo not yr?

Are you running CrashPlan+ Unlimited? From WHS2011?

Sorry. Yes, $3/month.

Yes, I am running it from WHS2011.

post #12 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

It also works out well that Comcat has lifted its 250gb max so I am getting all my PC's uploaded unlimited as soon as possible!
post #13 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 AM

I've been a happy Crashplan user for almost a year. I just don't think you can beat the price. I am running Crashplan on my WHS2011 server, and have almost a TB of data up there. It took a long time to upload it - 3 months or so.

It's peace of mind knowing that I won't lose any important data in the case of a fire or theft of my server.

There's also a client for iOS (and probably Android), so you should also be able to remotely access your files, if needed. (I don't use this feature)
post #14 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Has anyone had any experiences recovering with Crashplan? Seeing 3 months to upload a TB of data has me wondering what it would take to get the data back. I'd guess 2 weeks to download that same TB.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I've recovered program files a couple time, works pretty slick. As far as recovering huge amounts of data, remember this is disaster recovery. You shouldn't be planning on using it, and in the event of a disaster, a "mere" couple weeks to recover it is nothing considering the alternative is no recovery. Of course they also offer the option of shipping you data to you on a hard drive:
http://support.crashplan.com/doku.ph...r_door_service

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #16 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeandi View Post

Has anyone had any experiences recovering with Crashplan? Seeing 3 months to upload a TB of data has me wondering what it would take to get the data back. I'd guess 2 weeks to download that same TB.

It depends on how fast your Internet service is. Assassin is looking at 93 TB, which will take him 9 days. That's a little over 10 tb a day, or ~430 gb/hour. Odds are he has a business DSL, Fiber optic, or cable service that provides him with pretty good upload and download speeds, but you may want to look into upgrading your Internet speeds, since that seems like a very slow connection if you plan to upload large quantities of data. Your upload speed is well below 1 gb an hour at the speed Crashplan is going. Your download speed will also be a factor. I remember that Mozy had an option where they'd burn all the saved data onto a disc and send it to you for an extra cost, so in case of disaster (assuming Crashplan offers it) that may be a better option for you if you don't want to increase the speed/cost of your internet service when you need to download the data.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeandi View Post

They do have a "Restore To Your Door" option where they will ship you your data via USB HDD. Useful if you've got pesky bandwidth caps.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbant View Post

Assassin is looking at 93 TB, which will take him 9 days. That's a little over 10 tb a day, or ~430 gb/hour.

Read assassin's post again. He only has 93GB that he needs to backup. That's just 0.1% of 93TB.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
can you backup a NAS with crashplan+ yet? is it still local storage only?

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #20 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've got Crashplan running on my unRAID server. That's actually why I went with Crashplan, they were the only service that offered a reasonable price (ie not exorbitant per/GB pricing like ReadyNAS/netgear) and "supported" network shares/NASs.

post #21 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM

I love CrashPlan - I've been backing up to my sister's house for over a year. I just gave them a hard drive that was already seeded when they came to visit, they plugged it in, and we're up and running. I'm also running local backups to my unRAID server. I'm pretty sure CrashPlan works on a Mac, too.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I've got Crashplan running on my unRAID server. That's actually why I went with Crashplan, they were the only service that offered a reasonable price (ie not exorbitant per/GB pricing like ReadyNAS/netgear) and "supported" network shares/NASs.

whats this "supported" network share backup? i want to backup my drobo FS

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #23 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's not built into the app, as in you can't just pick a network share from the app (partially because of how it runs as a service), but they have this:
http://support.crashplan.com/doku.ph..._mapped_drives

post #24 of 26 Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is even an android app, which is surprisingly helpful. I've had files I created on my home computer, forgot to send them to work, and pulled them down to my phone the same day.

I used Carbonite in the past, but CrashPlan is phenomenal - especially for the price. I have about 2TB backed up thru them (yes, it took FOREVER), but I did it after my friend lost 2 drives, my dad lost 1. A month after my data was backed up - bam - lost a drive. Everything recovered without issue.

Both my dad and friend now use Crashplan as well...
post #25 of 26 Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Are you guys adding passwords to the encryption or is the encryption enough?
post #26 of 26 Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Read assassin's post again. He only has 93GB that he needs to backup. That's just 0.1% of 93TB.

Sorry about that, I completely misread the post. Given that spec, that would put upload speed at ~430 mb/hour, or ~0.12 mbps.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page