Drive bender or drive pool? Which one is better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a WHS 2011 going and need or want to combine 2 1.5 tb drives...Just not sure which is better choice.Could have asked at Wegotserved forums,but trust you guys here. ! drive is just about full of movies and other is completely empty if that is a factor. Just want them to act as a JBOD.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I use drive bender. Works just like drive extender did in WHS v1. You can set it to backup certain folders (which I do for music, photos, and office documents...files that are irreplaceable or would take too much time to rerip), or not. There were some tricks to setting up the standard library folders on it, but it should all be documented on their website.

Has worked pretty flawlessly for me...
Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266
If you don't mind a little bit of work you can do a "ghetto" drive pool using Junctions. Comes with Windows but you need to use the cmd prompt, but for lazy people there is a program called Link Shell Extension which simplifies the process. Select folder, create link, and your done.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

If you don't mind a little bit of work you can do a "ghetto" drive pool using Junctions. Comes with Windows but you need to use the cmd prompt, but for lazy people there is a program called Link Shell Extension which simplifies the process. Select folder, create link, and your done.

I've preached this, but nobody wants to do it that way. I've been using junctions for many years for all of my shares. I also use it for my movies that span multiple drives so the playback devices that don't use libraries get a single directory listing. I have all the movies listed in a .bat file so I just cut and paste any new movies right into it and run it. That also means I never have to do it again since I have copies of the .bat!

The initial setup sucks - to reduce my work load I exported the directories to a text file then imported it into excel and added fields for the commands I needed. Then export into a .bat file.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

The initial setup sucks - to reduce my work load I exported the directories to a text file then imported it into excel and added fields for the commands I needed. Then export into a .bat file.

Exactly.
I'd write a batch to scan list of folders [recursively, if needed] and create soft links (aka junctions), if they are not created already.
Should be piece of cake.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I've tried both, but ended up with DrivePool. I liked the interface of DrivePool better and at the time it was cheaper.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post

I have a WHS 2011 going and need or want to combine 2 1.5 tb drives...Just not sure which is better choice.Could have asked at Wegotserved forums,but trust you guys here. ! drive is just about full of movies and other is completely empty if that is a factor. Just want them to act as a JBOD.

brickie

I've been running Drivepool for maybe 3-4 months, with most of that time spent trying to break it before I migrated from my whs V1, all I can say is that it works, and with the utilities that were released at the end of may, reconnecting the pool after an OS reinstall is a breeze. Only issue I came across was that I installed comodo endpoint manager and AV, and every time I would click on a file in the pool, the modified file date would update to the current data and time, throwing off my backups, I didn't have time to trouble shoot with comodo support, but I installed ESET NOD32 V4, and it's all working now.

I've been playing with the latest version of drive bender, 1.3.1, the last time I demoed it was v. 1.2.2 I think, but it looks like they worked out all the kinks, and to be honest, it seems faster to me compared to drivepool, note the word "seems", I have no idea how to test this theory, but after a week, it's running great. The install is not as easy as drive pool, you have a lot more options, but don't get caught up in the mount points, install it and just read the online manual, and you'll figure it out.

I would like for some one to do a review of the two, there have to be differences under the hood, for example, perfect disk 12 sees the drive bender pool as physical drive, you have to remove it from view or else it will try to defrag the drive, Haven't tired it yet if your wondering, while drivepool is not seen as a physical drive.

Anyway that's my two cents, there are fan boys for both products and both products are maturing and doing their intend job, just make sure you backup, backup, and backup.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

This reminds me to update to the latest version of DP. It has been in forget it mode since it just works.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

I have all the movies listed in a .bat file so I just cut and paste any new movies right into it and run it. That also means I never have to do it again since I have copies of the .bat!

Link shell extension makes this much easier because you can select multiple folders so you can create junctions in one go. If you have folders in random places then its probably a good idea to create a bat file.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM

I've been browsing around for reviews about DriveBender and DrivePool after the just-announced demise of WHS (which I had running until last year after the headless box died) and discovered that DriveBender is on sale for 50% off. It's my only option between the two since I am running Win7 Home Premium. Sorry for the semi-thread-necro.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiichiroh View Post

I've been browsing around for reviews about DriveBender and DrivePool after the just-announced demise of WHS (which I had running until last year after the headless box died) and discovered that DriveBender is on sale for 50% off. It's my only option between the two since I am running Win7 Home Premium. Sorry for the semi-thread-necro.

Here we go.

Please don't start the "WHS is dead. Everyone run!!!" type BS that is rampant on this site and others. WHS will be around until 2025. Sometimes you have to actually read and think about what some of these other sites report and whether its really something --- or nothing.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Sorry Assassin. Didn't intend to do any fearmongering for WHS by my referral to its "demise." Only focusing on the thread topic and looking for firsthand experience on DB vs DP. However, the WHS SKU-as-it-existed definitely has been replaced with something slightly different.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's not dead of course, but I wouldn't expect too many new add-ins to be developed for it. Nor would I expect existing ones to get updated as much either.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Here we go.
Please don't start the "WHS is dead. Everyone run!!!" type BS that is rampant on this site and others. WHS will be around until 2025. Sometimes you have to actually read and think about what some of these other sites report and whether its really something --- or nothing.

Do you have concerns building on top of a platform that won't have new development/features/advancement?

Is WHS something we should build new platforms on?

Should we be investing in new software built on WHS?

You are right that WHS isn't "dead", just like my record collection isn't dead. But I wouldn't be investing in WHS if there are alternatives.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

None at all. After you use whs you will see what I mean. It will still be viable just like windows 7 will be viable after windows 8 is available for retail.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Give liquesce a try. Freeware that works great.

http://liquesce.codeplex.com/
Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

Do you have concerns building on top of a platform that won't have new development/features/advancement?
Is WHS something we should build new platforms on?
Should we be investing in new software built on WHS?

Agreed, there are not a lot of add ins, but really what are addins, free/low cost utilities that were necessary for WHSV1, but you don't really need true add-ins for WHS 2011, most any commercial software that runs on WIn7/Server 2008 will run on WHS 2011, so yes, I'll miss those cool little add-ins that existed on whs V1 to forward ports, see my disk storage, view my avast av, etc but they are not a necessity for WHS 2011 to operate.

Back on the subject, I'm a big fan of both Stablebit and drive bender, but I've settle on Stablebit, namely because I've already purchase it, both providers have come out with announcements on new feature sets. so it looks like there will be future support on this products, and for those interested, Stablebit will be ported to other flavors of windows some time this year. And for those concerned with WHS 2011 we'll it's going to be hard to replicate it's functionality with Windows 8, and jumping up to Windows Server 2012 Essentials is going to be large investment just for the OS, so I hope economics come into play, which could potentially put WHS in the hands or more system builders and home users. For folks like me, the semi technical user, there's no better combination for a home NAS than WHS and Stablebit/drivebender (or your favorite raid config).

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

Agreed, there are not a lot of add ins ... but you don't really need true add-ins for WHS 2011, most any commercial software that runs on WIn7/Server 2008 will run on WHS 2011

+1
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Assassin you think you will still use WHS2011 in 2025? OK buddy I believe you. If you are posting from a windows 2000 rig and using a Nokia 3310, I believe you.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have no idea what I will use in 2025. Do you?

Btw you bumped a thread that's over a year old for this?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I have no idea what I will use in 2025. Do you?

Btw you bumped a thread that's over a year old for this?

No, he joined today just to bump a year old thread about that.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Welcome to the AVS Forum, Paul.

Please excuse whatever initial unfriendliness you may find here. If you stick around, you will learn plenty (trust me), and most forum interactions are very amicable.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Welcome to the AVS Forum, Paul.

Please excuse whatever initial unfriendliness you may find here. If you stick around, you will learn plenty (trust me), and most forum interactions are very amicable.

His first post wasn't exactly "amicable"