I need a wireless version of a tenkeyless keyboard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I need to convert the Filco Magestouch 2 Tenkeyless to wireless. Or, find a keyboard with exactly this layout in wireless form; mechanical keys would be a huge plus.

I have room to hide the USB cable, and compact, rechargable/battery-powered usb wireless transmitter for the keyboard; so, at least that's not an issue.

I found a couple of wireless usb kits; however, they look like they require AC; instead of offering battery power for the transmitter.

Basically, I think I need something like this (except that it's built already):
http://www.homebrewusb.com/DIY/DIY%2...ess%20USB.html

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Instead of asking questions such as why (there might be a better option if you explain your situation)...the easiest way I think to do that would be grabbing one of those cheap mini RF/bluetooth keyboards. Connect the contact points for the keys on the Filco to the wirless one. So it essentially over rides the buttons of the wireless keyboard with the one you'd like to use.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the quick reply. Ive been in search of the ultimate keyboard/mouse combo while sitting back on the couch. I've had horrible luck with the wireless keyboard/mouse solutions out since none of them can handle speedtyping and fast/precise mouse control. ...good enough to even handle moderate first person shooter games; which need very precis/quick control.

I found a solution that sort of does this; however, I discovered after using it for a day that typing sideways starts to get annoying after a while.

So, I decided to try something similar; except, without the sideways keyboard:
1. LapGear Deluxe Computer LapDesk
2. Logitech M570
3. Tenkeyless wireless keyboard.
4. Some velcro to hold down the keyboard and mouse

Having said that, I don't have any electronics experience; and dont want to drive the cost of this too high by paying someone to mod the keyboard and uying extra parts. A $50 adapter kit, I may be able to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Instead of asking questions such as why (there might be a better option if you explain your situation)...the easiest way I think to do that would be grabbing one of those cheap mini RF/bluetooth keyboards. Connect the contact points for the keys on the Filco to the wirless one. So it essentially over rides the buttons of the wireless keyboard with the one you'd like to use.

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 12:41 AM

Liked: 14
I'm using this on one of my HTPC:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Wireless-Ke...8708957&sr=1-1

Using this on the other:
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Enhance...8709151&sr=1-2

They both use optical pointers for mouse functions.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
One of the few wireless mechanicals.
http://www.amazon.com/XArmor-U9W-wir...8731855&sr=8-1

Not TKL though. They actually made a bluetooth Filco. Pretty awesome, really hard to get now and very expensive if you find someone willing to sell. I think that also was a full layout though.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'm more interested in the TKL design Filco uses; of course either no integrated mouse.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'd go with that HP keyboard if I had to choose. There just aren't any keyboards out there like the one you want. If you are really attached to that particular keyboard, and you don't mind a bit of bulk, you might try using this:

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH204KIT/
post #8 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Im not sure if you guys saw what I wanted the keyboard for, but the HP is way too light; and I would like to take advantage of the little bit of extra space I have on the lapdesk. The key layout, size, weight is just right for the Filco. There are several other keyboards that have this layout; but for whatever reason they are all wired.

I don't mind the bulk of the USB wireless solution. However, the two models I've seen require software installation on my PC; which is where I draw the line.

Maybe someone here can think of another clever way to get the USB or preferably PS/2 cable to be extended wirelessly. Or find a wireless keyboard that has a "true" tenkeyless keyboard layout (arrow keys keys in standard location).

post #9 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did you ever find what you're looking for?
It's what I want also.

A "standard keyboard layout" but without the ten-key. And wireless.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page