No HD Audio From Nvidia 550ti HDMI Out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have hooked up a 3d projector to a gtx 550ti via DVI->HDMI adapter and i can get full 1080p 3d @ 24hz. I decided to hook up the HDMI out (on the nvidia card) to my 1.3a receiver (onkyo sr705) for HD sound. So far I can only get DTS and dolby (as the option for HD sound is not there in powerDVD 12). Also under "supported formats", i see just DTS and dolby.

Reason why i hooked up the DVI out to the projector is because the HDMI ports on the graphics card doesn't recognize my projector as a 3d projector for some reason.

Should I get another DVI dongle and output HD sound or the HDMI out should work? Do you guys see other things under "supported formats?" (under properties)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If the audio formats don't show up in Windows Playback Devices, then its either not supported or the correct drivers haven't been installed.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Are there specific drivers I should be looking for or are the nvidia HD audio drivers are the ones I need?

Thanks for confirming that more than just DTS/Dolby shows up under windows playback devices.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singuy View Post

Are there specific drivers I should be looking for or are the nvidia HD audio drivers are the ones I need?

From Nvidia's site:
"Support for HDMI 1.4a including GPU accelerated Blu-ray 3D support (Blu-ray 3D playback requires the purchase of a compatible software player from CyberLink, ArcSoft, Corel, or Sonic), x.v.Color, HDMI Deep Color, and 7.1 digital surround sound requires Release 260 driver or later."

I am still not sure if it does support HD audio or not.
Check the stickies for guides, some of them have updated listings of video chipsets that support HD audio.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I have checked on that chart and it said the gtx530-560 supports HD sound and 1.4. Also I'm on driver 301.xx. Just need to mess around with it some more I guess.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I don't think you can get stereo 3D using a DVI adapter, I thought it had to be HDMI to HDMI for full stereoscopic 3D.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

I don't think you can get stereo 3D using a DVI adapter, I thought it had to be HDMI to HDMI for full stereoscopic 3D.

I got 3d fine using a DVI to HDMI cable, it wasnt even dual link and was several years old. I did not try audio with 3d though (audio with 2d worked fine). The DVI ports should support everything the HDMI port does on an Nvidia card. 3d is supposed to only work with dual link DVI, I dont know why it worked with a single link cable.