Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

No you don't. There are a ton of small ITX cases with internal PSUs.
At one extreme there's a whole cult following of people building gaming machines in the Silverstone Sugo SG05 with people cramming in GPUs like GTX 680s and Radeon 6990s along with i7s. (I don't think these "are the kind that want BOSE cubes too")
The case comes with your choice of a 300 or 450W SFX PSU, both 80 Plus certified.
Or you can get the nice small Antec isk 300-150 that has a built in 150W PSU.
Or something like the boxy Thermaltake Element Q that has a 200W SFX PSU.
The choices are endless, and you don't have to use an external power brick unless you want to.

Considering the Sugo SG05's longest dimension is 10.87" and the 6990 is 11.61" I wonder how they are doing that unless they are dremelling a hole in the case and having the video card poke out.... real elegant.... And that case maxes out the SFX PSU at 450 Watts, maybe that is just barely enough to run a 6990 and an i7, but not if you are overclocking and I imagine you'd be putting some strain on your PSU and generating a hell of a lot of heat. I guess people can do all sorts of things, whether it is a good idea or not....

Besides which those large mini-ITX boxy cubes still take up a fair amount of room, if you have it stacked up on a receiver it looks weird, same height (if not even a little higher) as a regular micro ATX case, but half the width and shallow depth... Defeats the purpose of a mini-ITX build in my opinion.

The antec looks more like a ITX case, the thermaltake is another boxy cube, when most AV gear is a similar shape (cd players, receivers, blu ray players etc) I wonder why people spring for something that is a different dimension. The boxy cubes take away the reason why you'd get a mini-ITX in the first place (i.e small hideaway size.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It all depends what space you're working with, no? My parents have a Silverstone Sugo SG-06B HTPC for their bedroom. The TV is sitting on top of their chest drawers and the HTPC needed to fit beside it so an AVR form factor case wouldn't have worked for them.

The beauty with HTPC's is they're not a one-size fits all solution. You could mix and match to get something that fits your requirements and not someone else's. While you personally have no use for M-ITX, I'm sure there are plenty of people who think differently and prefer M-ITX because it appeals to their sense of aesthetics.

By the way, I've got an SG-05 portable gaming rig with i7-860 and GTX 460 and that actually feels like it weighs less than the Antec ISK-310-150 with i5-650 using integrated graphics. The SG-05's boxy shape as opposed to the ISK's more rectangular form factor also makes it easier to lug around (fits perfectly inside those $1 shopping bags you can find at groceries).

As for power, 450W should be enough for most single GPU configurations. It's not like you could overclock the CPU heavily anyway. Very few M-ITX boards have sufficient power delivery to support overclocking at all let alone high overclocks with quad-core CPU's.
post #153 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

By the way, I've got an SG-05 portable gaming rig with i7-860 and GTX 460 and that actually feels like it weighs less than the Antec ISK-310-150 with i5-650 using integrated graphics. The SG-05's boxy shape as opposed to the ISK's more rectangular form factor also makes it easier to lug around (fits perfectly inside those $1 shopping bags you can find at groceries).

Sounds nice.

I'm curious about these portable gaming rigs. I've seen both some ITX builds like yours, and some mATX cases with handles on the top for portability. When you cart these around (I assume to friends' houses) what do you do for a display when you get there? Do you all keep spare displays so that friends can bring their pcs over? Couldn't figure out what good a portable pc was if you still had to lug a monitor around.

Also, where the heck did you find PM on this new board layout? I haven't found it so I couldn't reply to you.
post #154 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

Considering the Sugo SG05's longest dimension is 10.87" and the 6990 is 11.61" I wonder how they are doing that unless they are dremelling a hole in the case and having the video card poke out.... real elegant.... And that case maxes out the SFX PSU at 450 Watts, maybe that is just barely enough to run a 6990 and an i7, but not if you are overclocking and I imagine you'd be putting some strain on your PSU and generating a hell of a lot of heat. I guess people can do all sorts of things, whether it is a good idea or not....
Besides which those large mini-ITX boxy cubes still take up a fair amount of room, if you have it stacked up on a receiver it looks weird, same height (if not even a little higher) as a regular micro ATX case, but half the width and shallow depth... Defeats the purpose of a mini-ITX build in my opinion.
The antec looks more like a ITX case, the thermaltake is another boxy cube, when most AV gear is a similar shape (cd players, receivers, blu ray players etc) I wonder why people spring for something that is a different dimension. The boxy cubes take away the reason why you'd get a mini-ITX in the first place (i.e small hideaway size.)

Just because you don't use ITX cases doesn't mean that its a bad idea or not "elegant". There are plenty of people that do.

So you don't like Intel or ITX. Anything else?

post #155 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I'm curious about these portable gaming rigs. I've seen both some ITX builds like yours, and some mATX cases with handles on the top for portability. When you cart these around (I assume to friends' houses) what do you do for a display when you get there? Do you all keep spare displays so that friends can bring their pcs over? Couldn't figure out what good a portable pc was if you still had to lug a monitor around.

Also, where the heck did you find PM on this new board layout? I haven't found it so I couldn't reply to you.

A clean white wall works for me. Instant 80" display. smile.gif
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZW2UN6/

Don't do a lot of PC gaming anymore, though. Most my gaming nowadays is just PS1 and PS2 emulators. The build works great as portable HTPC, too. We connect it to the HDTV at the grandparents' when we visit for watching Netflix and Hulu or a selection of movies, TV shows and anime from the internal 2TB HDD.

As for PM's, there's a shortcut for New Messages on the upper right hand side of the page for me (beside the Connect with Facebook link).
post #156 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Just because you don't use ITX cases doesn't mean that its a bad idea or not "elegant". There are plenty of people that do.
So you don't like Intel or ITX. Anything else?

Never said I didn't like Intel, in fact I've said numerous times I do and I just bought an intel cpu, anymore blind accusations you wish to throw?
I'm not a fan of ITX, makes no sense to me, did say a couple of times though, each to their own. And I said it was inelegant to cram a card longer than the box and dremel a hole in it so it will fit.

Like this one.

I'm convinced you and zon2020 are incapable of fully reading posts, seems like you read what you want to hear and react.
post #157 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I like this one with a handle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112348. It's meant to look like luggage.

158216.jpg

If this had been around when I built my server I would have used it. You never know when you're going to need to grab your server and run smile.gif. I suppose it would not take much to mod the PC-Q08 and put a handle on it though.

post #158 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been intrigued by these two

Bitfenix Prodigy and Silverstone SST-SG04B-FH

BTW, your little Lian Li reminds me of a pignose guitar amp.
post #159 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm convinced you and zon2020 are incapable of fully reading posts, seems like you read what you want to hear and react.

Oh, we read your posts all right. We read it when you make up utter nonsense like "Also in regards to ITX case, I'm not a fan since you have to have the external power brick" and then when it is pointed out that your claim is completely false, you change the subject and start talking about one guy who cut a hole in his case to put in a longer card.
post #160 of 164 Old 06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

I read every word of what you write. Although your opinion is different than mine I respect it and am trying to figure out what reasons you have used to favor AMD APU over a IntelCpu+AMDcard gaming build and also why you don't like ITX.

Like I said I built a ITX HTPC with an i3 2100, TWO 2TB hard drives and a SSD with the temps listed that I showed you. I ran this 24-7 for 9 months before changing the case mainly because I was bored and wanted to do more testing with discrete video card in my GD05B case.

With properly chosed parts and a well built ITX case there are absolutely no issues with heat and also no need for an external power brick (although I am not sure why this matters as you can hide it away anyway in almost all setups).
post #161 of 164 Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
I expected this thread to take off... smile.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #162 of 164 Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Never said I didn't like Intel, in fact I've said numerous times I do and I just bought an intel cpu, anymore blind accusations you wish to throw?
I'm not a fan of ITX, makes no sense to me, did say a couple of times though, each to their own. And I said it was inelegant to cram a card longer than the box and dremel a hole in it so it will fit.
Like this one.

Personally I like the height of mid towers because it get the optical drive and front usb ports up to a comfortable height for accessing from my computer chair.

Portable gaming system:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DKDOGT1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=alienware-m17x-r4%20title=
post #163 of 164 Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Yikes. I would have just gotten a different case. That's horrible. It's also an example of what's should not be necessary with an mini-ITX gaming build if you know what you're doing. I would not count it as an example of what you have to do.

post #164 of 164 Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Yikes. I would have just gotten a different case. That's horrible. It's also an example of what's should not be necessary with an mini-ITX gaming build if you know what you're doing. I would not count it as an example of what you have to do.

lol^

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page