GTX 460 keeps crashing, 9800 gtx+ works perfectly. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I recently built a new HTPC with an Asrock Z77 Pro-4M motherboard. I have been using it with the i5 HD4000 internal graphics as I RMAed my Sparkle GTX460 as one of the DVI ports failed.

So far I’ve received two refurbished GTX460s – both will not work in my system. I’m trying to figure out if I’ve received a second defective card from Sparkle or if there could be a motherboard or software/setting issue. I have a 9800 gtx+ that works with no issues in this system, so this leads me to think it is not the motherboard.

With the first card, the computer would boot ok, but the video output was always corrupted – the display is blocky and pixilated. The second card is intermittent. On some boots, the display will be corrupted from the start. Or it will work during boot and for a few minutes once the OS loads, then the screen turns to this after a few minutes.
DSC02263.jpg
I’m using the latest Nvidia drivers and tried an older (285) version with the same result.

Anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting? The only setting I can find in the BIOS related to PCI is “PCI ROM priority” – either Legacy or EFI Compatible makes no difference.

Any logical reason why the older 9800 would work, but the new card does not?

Thanks for the suggestions…

Guess my next step is to swap some hardware and try the 460 in my old Core2 based system….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm. Just installed the 460 in the other system that I’m now using as a server. Same problem with the output – it boots, video output is corrupted and then it blue screens.

I did use the same power supply in both tests – the ps in the server only has a single 6 pin connector for the video card. the 9800 works fine in the second system with the htpc power supply.

Looks like it is another bad card. would appreciate any other troubleshooting suggestions if anyone has any good ideas…
post #3 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Just curious, what do you find inadequate about the HD4000 graphics?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Liked: 10
Looks like a bad card to me.
For some reason a lot the 460s were problematic(google 460 oven trick). I have an Asus 460 Fermi in my main rig and it has been wonky from the get go. It will drop the picture sometimes. At first I thought my monitor was going out, but when it does it I would get a windows error to the effect of: the video driver has recovered. A quick search showed quite a few others with this problem. It's been doing it for the last 1yr and a 1/2 and hasn't completely died on me so I guess it's ok.biggrin.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Zon,
Nothing inadequate in terms of quality for video/HTPC usage. LAV filters & MadVR work great. Two reason why I want to use the 460:

a) Games
b) I have a 1.3 HDMI receiver, so the 3 outputs on the 460 are handy. 1 DVI to a monitor, 1 DVI -> switcher-> 3D TV, HDMI to the receiver. For 3D blu-ray I use a dual monitor configuration to bitstream audio in 1.3 format to the receiver and output frame packed blu-ray to the TV.

BudgetHT,
Thanks for the heads-up on the oven trick. Didn’t really know there is a history of this with the 460s. I’ll prob try this on one of my RMA cards this weekend and will send the other one through a reflow oven at work on Monday…can’t really hurt…

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 PM

Liked: 10
You have to have both 6 pin power connectors for it to function correct, lol i know this is a little late.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

Zon,
Nothing inadequate in terms of quality for video/HTPC usage. LAV filters & MadVR work great. Two reason why I want to use the 460:
a) Games
b) I have a 1.3 HDMI receiver, so the 3 outputs on the 460 are handy. 1 DVI to a monitor, 1 DVI -> switcher-> 3D TV, HDMI to the receiver. For 3D blu-ray I use a dual monitor configuration to bitstream audio in 1.3 format to the receiver and output frame packed blu-ray to the TV.
BudgetHT,
Thanks for the heads-up on the oven trick. Didn’t really know there is a history of this with the 460s. I’ll prob try this on one of my RMA cards this weekend and will send the other one through a reflow oven at work on Monday…can’t really hurt…
Thanks!

FYI, the GTX460 can only drive 2 outputs at a time. You need a 600 series mid (GTX640 or higher) ( or an Radeon 5750 upwards) to drive 3 outputs simultaneously. The geforce 600 series (not the low end ones which are Fermi based rebrands) can drive 4 outputs at a time (2xDVI, 1xHDMI 1.41 and display port) each with audio out (LPCM 7.1 and bitstreaming)
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page