Converting HD-DVDs to MKV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm sure this isn't a very popular topic and most of the related threads seem a bit old on the subject, but is there any software (mainly freeware) out there to rip HD-DVD to the hard drive? Many of the how-to's I came across seem very old, included several steps, and didn't seem to work 100% judging by many of the follow up posts. I saw some people mentioning having success with makemkv, but it seems to botch up the process (the resulting video is all choppy using the latest version of TMT5 without even trying to downsize it at all with Handbrake). Is there an older version of MakeMKV which I need to use since HD-DVD is such an old format and is possibly no longer supported? Is it better to just try and convert the HD-DVDs to Blu-ray ISOs using other software and then mess with them using Handbrake? I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I'm using DVDFab Passkey to break the encryption which seems to work fine as far as I can tell. Thanks for any insight.
Ryan L is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
xfett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I ripped all my HD-DVD's using MakeMKV and an XBOX 360 HD drive and have had no playback errors using Media Browser with Shark007 codecs. The only problems I had was with Pan's Labyrinth, it was the disc protection and could not be ripped. I believe I used MakeMKV ver 1.6.16 but I can try to rip a disc with the newest version.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

xfett is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hirent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In my imagination!
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

using the latest version of TMT5 without even trying to downsize it at all with Handbrake). Is there an older version of MakeMKV which I need to use since HD-DVD is such an old format and is possibly no longer supported? Is it better to just try and convert the HD-DVDs to Blu-ray ISOs using other software and then mess with them using Handbrake? I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I'm using DVDFab Passkey to break the encryption which seems to work fine as far as I can tell. Thanks for any insight.

Use EvoDemux to demux the HD-DVD files, then use TSMuxer to create the Blu-Ray (BDMV).
After that, you can create an ISO or MKV.

One other suggestion is to just create an ISO of the entire HD-DVD disc and leave as is on your drive.
Since you are using TMT why bother with conversion when it plays HD-DVDs and also bitstreams HD audio?
hirent is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Since you are using TMT why bother with conversion when it plays HD-DVDs and also bitstreams HD audio?
I came across 2 discs which were skipping (looked fairly good to me) and thought to myself why not just rip them all (about 2 dozen or so total) and not have to worry about any others getting messed up since I heard that they scratch easily. One thing in the back of my mind is that Arcsoft probably isn't going to support HD DVD forever either. I mean, how many people are actually going to be still spinning these 2 years from now? If they drop support they will have like 3 people complaining (me, you, and the other guy who posted)! Also, I wanted to see if I could cut down the size a little by ripping only the main movie and maybe dropping down the resolution to 1280x720. HD audio stays though! I just wish that Handbrake supported the HD DVD folder structure (or whatever the lingo is) and life would be simple (I tried it straight from disc and from a folder rip, but no go). I'm going to try out MakeMKV a couple more times with a different version and if that doesn't work, I'm going to give your method a whirl. Thanks for taking interest.
Ryan L is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hirent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In my imagination!
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

I came across 2 discs which were skipping (looked fairly good to me) and thought to myself why not just rip them all (about 2 dozen or so total) and not have to worry about any others getting messed up since I heard that they scratch easily. One thing in the back of my mind is that Arcsoft probably isn't going to support HD DVD forever either. I mean, how many people are actually going to be still spinning these 2 years from now? If they drop support they will have like 3 people complaining (me, you, and the other guy who posted)! Also, I wanted to see if I could cut down the size a little by ripping only the main movie and maybe dropping down the resolution to 1280x720.

TMT dropped support for HD-DVD a long time ago.
They kept playback capability as is (unlike PDVD), but they won't actively support it. It just means if you have any problems you can't ask them for help. The capability in the current version is not going to go away unless you upgrade.
hirent is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 3,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

Many of the how-to's I came across seem very old
The how-tos are old because the disc format is old--it hasn't changed at all so why should the how-tos change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

I came across 2 discs which were skipping (looked fairly good to me) and thought to myself why not just rip them all.
If the disc has unreadable sectors, you aren't going to be able to rip them.

As for Arcsoft TMT, it plays HD-DVDs and will likely continue to do so if-or-until the HD-DVD code gets in the way of something else that Arcsoft can't implement w/HD-DVD included. Even if in the future Arcsoft drops HD-DVD playback, we'll be able to use the current version (or older) to play them.

And A LOT of people will "still be spinning them 2 years from now". The picture and sound from my HD-DVDs are still perfect--why not? tongue.gif
Laserfan is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

The how-tos are old because the disc format is old--it hasn't changed at all so why should the how-tos change?
If the disc has unreadable sectors, you aren't going to be able to rip them.
As for Arcsoft TMT, it plays HD-DVDs and will likely continue to do so if-or-until the HD-DVD code gets in the way of something else that Arcsoft can't implement w/HD-DVD included. Even if in the future Arcsoft drops HD-DVD playback, we'll be able to use the current version (or older) to play them.
And A LOT of people will "still be spinning them 2 years from now". The picture and sound from my HD-DVDs are still perfect--why not? tongue.gif
Now I remember why I hardly ever visit this site. I figured I wouldn't need to explain the obvious, but here goes. First off, things change in the PC/HTPC world on a daily basis practically. Why would I follow guides from 3 years ago, which seemed like a bit work BTW if you have to do a whole collectio?. Hell, I was using a completely different OS back then. 3 or 4 years is practically a whole generation in the PC front. It's not unreasonable to find out if there's a piece of software to come out in recent years which handles the task of ripping/converting HD DVDs. Thanks for the unreadable sectors bit captain obvious. That's the driving factor for me wanting to do this; archive my collection before any more get damaged. As for Arcsoft continuing support for HD DVDs, who knows? But I will mention that TMT3 stopped playing nicely with TMT5 several updates back and while TMT5 works fine now, there's a good chance that you may be "forced" to update to watch new releases. The most important apect about the "spinning discs 2 years from now" remark is even if there's software out there to play them, what is everyone going to be playing them with? I'm pretty sure the LG drives haven't been in production for some time now and I doubt that people have stock piles of them stashed. Making any kind of argument not to back them up at this point in time seems foolish IMO.
Ryan L is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdunnill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Surrey, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have several LG drives, but I didn't bring one with me and there's an HD-DVD title I'd like to view that's not available on Blu-ray.

I've been meaning to convert it to a file.

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
rdunnill is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 3,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

I'm sure this isn't a very popular topic and most of the related threads seem a bit old on the subject, but is there any software (mainly freeware) out there to rip HD-DVD to the hard drive?
Yup. Lots. Easy. Go for it.
Laserfan is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off