HTPC Keyboard Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm getting ready to build my 2nd HTPC and I'm having a little trouble choosing a good keyboard/mouse combo.

I'm currently using an IOGEAR GKM561R. While I like the form factor, size and feel in my hands, it's performance leaves a lot to be desired. It started out really good. But the trackball has gone to crap! It takes a lot of motion to move the mouse across the screen. (My HTPC is connected to my 64" Samsung Plasma, so its a LOT of screen to move the mouse =) ). It looses signal quite frequently even being only 10 feet away from the receiver and in plain site of the receiver.

So I've been searching here on the forums and found a couple options that seem good:

Logitech dinovo Mini
Logitech K400

I'm liking the dinovo mini since it has backlighting, a dual purpose trackpad and nice form factor. Not sure if it's worth the price, but looks really sleek.

The K400 looks good too, but lacks the media play/pause, etc buttons and backlighting.

Thoughts/opinions? Are there any other recommendations for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I switched after several months from that iogear to the K400 (because my wife hates trackballs in general and I got tired of watching the cursor fly arond the screen out of control in her hands). I think I prefer the K400 although the iogear worked well for me.

Use a Rii N7 on another system and it's great if you like mini keyboards.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you're looking for a mini keyboard/mouse I highly recommend the Lenovo n5902. I've got two and love 'em. At $80 they're cheaper than you'll probably find the diNovo Mini for, and they frequently have coupon deals that bring the price down to $35-40 making it a steal. It's got trackpad & backlight; it's only failing IMO is the lack of function keys (F1-F12).

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
I recently got a K400 and love it.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post

If you're looking for a mini keyboard/mouse I highly recommend the Lenovo n5902. I've got two and love 'em. At $80 they're cheaper than you'll probably find the diNovo Mini for, and they frequently have coupon deals that bring the price down to $35-40 making it a steal. It's got trackpad & backlight; it's only failing IMO is the 9dlack of function keys (F1-F12).

How is the track pad on the n5602? I've never used one before, I've always had a track ball. Is it pretty precise like a mouse?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 $29 Good Price. Jumped on it!
post #7 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousjack85 View Post

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 $29 Good Price. Jumped on it!
I actually just posted a thread about this keyboard in the found a deal section. I got it for $4.99 + tax at Staples this morning after finding a thread on Slickdeals.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The Lenovo is good if you're using your HTPC as the name implies, a pure media player. But if you use it kinda like a hybrid PC/HTPC, the Lenovo is a pain to type with.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookItsTheFatKid View Post

I actually just posted a thread about this keyboard in the found a deal section. I got it for $4.99 + tax at Staples this morning after finding a thread on Slickdeals.

Five bucks? I don't need a keyboard for my HTPC right now, but $5? Always good to have a spare. What hoops do you jump through for that price?

post #10 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Five bucks? I don't need a keyboard for my HTPC right now, but $5? Always good to have a spare. What hoops do you jump through for that price?
For me it was extremely easy actually. I grabbed the keyboard, asked the girl at the register to apply the coupon and price match to the online price, she did so and went to talk to her manager after seeing the $5 price. She came back about 2 minutes later and asked if I wanted the $5 replacement plan before letting me check out. Some people have said their local staples will allow either a price match or a coupon but not both so it is YMMV I suppose. There is also a receipt posted on the Slickdeals forum if that helps your case when you get there.

*edit*
This is the thread I posted here about it. I haven't seen anyone on Slickdeals say they haven't been able to get it yet but I have seen people saying they don't think they can. Like I said for me it was very easy and since I live less than a mile from Staples I didn't mind taking the trip to try.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421600/logitech-k400-wireless-keyboard-trackpad-4-99-at-staples-ymmv#post_22245367
post #11 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Liked: 13
I have had 2 DiNivo Minis and had the same problems with both. It's hit or miss that it will actually work when waking the HTPC from sleep. A battery pull usually works on the first attempt. Sometimes I have to do it 3 times before it pairs. When the backlight is on you can hear a faint high pitch buzz. Oh and sometimes the trackpad works but the keyboard portion quits and you have to do a battery pull(s). Also it will randomly decide to make the trackpad flakey until you are within 4ft of the receiver.

The pros of this product? When it occasionally works...
post #12 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
+1 on the K400.
Smaller than a full size but larger than the tiny mini ones. And has great range. Mine works at least 20' from the HTPC, not that I use it that way.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well I ended upgetting the Lenovo n5902 wireless keyboard. The small layout, backlit keys, and thumbpad work very well for my needs. It's still not as great as a full size keyboard on a desktop. But I have another PC in my office that I can jump on if I want to write long winded emails. smile.gif

Thanks for all of the advice! This is a great community!

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Enhanced-Multimedia-Keyboard-57Y6678/dp/B005L2NTTQ

41E5HRbocOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page