How can i convert HD WTV files to Mp4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some recordings on my HTPC that i want to convert to mp4 and play them on IPads and media streamers. I heard a while back that there is no way as of right now to convert HD WMC recordings to mp4.

Does this still hold true? Is there a piece of software that is user friendly that can do this?
Thaannks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I use Remote Potato to instantly transcode WMC's .wtc files to my Android phone and I'm fairly certain there is an Apple version.

Video Redo is probably the most powerful conversion software for mpeg transport streams. Thats good for cutting commercials and compressing.

No matter what solution you pick your .wtv files will have to be marked by your cable provider as copy freely or you will never be able to manipulate them.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I would also recommend VideoReDo. I use Final Cut, Avid, and Premiere at work, and Video ReDo is the best program for transport streams. You can easily cut out commercials, and then export to an h264 mp4.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I use MCE Buddy. Leave it running and it monitors the MCE directory where your .wtv files are saved. It auto converts to a number of formats and moves the file where ever you want. It also removes commercials.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM
jlv

Liked: 12
I use DVRMSToolbox (http://babgvant.com/Wiki/view.aspx/DVRMSToolbox). It's just like how ljo00 describes MCE Buddy (although it looks like MCE Buddy has a simplier interface). I just set it up and it monitors when .wtv files are saved; it then processes them however you want; the default profile removes commercials (and I have it set up to then transcode to MPEG2 for the sake of my TV).
post #6 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you aren't worried about removing commercials, then use handbrake. I tried MCEBuddy a few times, but for some reason I could never get the files to convert right (lots of stuttering and audio off). Same problem with VideoRedo. I imagine it had something to do with my machine since it happened on both, but I finally just gave up on it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page