Fry's question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question,

Is fry's a good place to go for building a computer if I want to buy in a brick and mortar?

No Micocenter around me, or should I stick to Newegg/Tigerdirect?

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I find most prices at Fry's to be overpriced, But they do match online retailers now, If they happen to carry the exact same model.

I find the best deals on both Newegg and Amazon, Newegg has a much better selection, but if Amazon carries the same item it is usually a few dollars cheaper.  I have a Prime membership so Amazon 2-day shipping is free.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #3 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Back in the days of mobo and cpu bundles they couldn't be beat, they haven't done that in a while. I suspect due to hard drives being so high. Until the 3tb drives comes back down to 120 bucks I don't think we will see the bundles until then.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
If you've never built a computer before and you're worried that you might have to send something back (e.g. you accidentally buy a video card that's too big to fit in the case you bought). then Fry's makes sense since it's a lot easier and cheaper to return stuff there than to pay and arrange for something to be shipped back to an online retailer.

But if you're confidant about what you're buying, then the better deals are online.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

If you've never built a computer before and you're worried that you might have to send something back (e.g. you accidentally buy a video card that's too big to fit in the case you bought). then Fry's makes sense since it's a lot easier and cheaper to return stuff there than to pay and arrange for something to be shipped back to an online retailer.
But if you're confidant about what you're buying, then the better deals are online.

It's easier to get a replacement that day at a local store, but Amazon's return policy and process is super easy, especially if you keep the original packing material until you're past the 30 days. Prepaid shipping labels beat a trip to the store anyday.

Looky here!
post #6 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Liked: 10
Agreed that Fry's old Mobo/CPU combos were tough to beat. I probably built 10 systems with those combos over the last decade. However, I used to hate those ECS mobos that seemed to fail about 50% of the time. eek.gif

IMO, it doesn't seem like Fry's tries to sell computer components as much anymore. They used to have components on page 1 and page 8 of their Friday ad. Now, they only have TVs, etc., there.

I buy almost exclusively from Newegg, but sprinkle in a bit of RAM or something from Fry's or Amazon every once in a while. Newegg is really awesome, has great prices, great customer service and quick shipping. I especially like the user reviews at Newegg, as it can steer you in the right direction.

I've noticed that Amazon may take 4-5 days to ship some items, so they may not be your best choice if you are in a hurry.

Fry's still has good prices on some items - cases, UPS, and other large heavy items would be ideal to buy there. I've bought both my UPS there because they were cheaper there (on sale), than at Newegg. Probably because of the weight in shipping.

Basically, if you live near a Fry's, you are blessed to have so many choices available. If you have a Microcenter too, then you are really lucky.

Off topic a bit...not to bash Fry's, but ...
1) I hate the Fry's "check the receipt" thing at the exit - I always just walk right past them and just flash my receipt, so they know I have one. Sorry, Fry's, but I'm not waiting in another line at the exit after just waiting in the typically long checkout line. Several years ago, I had one guy follow me out and he kind of tried to create a conflict. It was wierd...

2) Does anyone else find the Fry's employees to be a little "off"? It looks like an absolutely horrible place to work.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I forget the details, but I recall reading on one of the deal-type forums that one of the Fry's mgmt. guys made some sort of secret or at least somewhat underhanded deal which allowed Fry's to offer the best motherboard and combo deals. Turns out this arrangement was unknown to other Fry's higher ups. When they found out, those deals ended and person responsible is no longer with Fry's. How close my recollection is to the actual story, I'm not sure. But something unique was going on which allowed Fry's to pretty much slay everyone else in terms of offering the best mobo deals. You don't see them offering the best deals there much anymore.

Fry's still slay nearly everyone else on memory deals however. Provided you can deal with rebates because they use them a lot. Newegg is also good in terms of memory deals. They both tend to offer the best computer case deals as well.

I don't really get what is so great about Microcenter. They have some good deals every once in a while. But they pale in comparison to the other two. I get their weekly email ad and usually I delete it within 30 seconds of viewing. With Fry's, I'm usually scouring page after page of their ads.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I don't really get what is so great about Microcenter. They have some good deals every once in a while. But they pale in comparison to the other two. I get their weekly email ad and usually I delete it within 30 seconds of viewing. With Fry's, I'm usually scouring page after page of their ads.

Are you serious? No one comes close to Micro Center's Intel CPU prices. Not even remotely close. I3-2100 for $89.99. Not"once in a while", but every day. My i5-3570k/dh77kc combo, with tax, was still $100 less than Newegg or Amazon. In the pre-flood days, their bulk hard drive prices were always lowest. Memory is cheap but almost always entails a rebate. On cases they're competitive, on psus they're expensive. And they don't carry ITX stuff or s or t processors.

You have to know what to buy at MC and what to buy elsewhere, but if you have one available they will ALWAYS be cheapest on cpus.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I forget the details, but I recall reading on one of the deal-type forums that one of the Fry's mgmt. guys made some sort of secret or at least somewhat underhanded deal which allowed Fry's to offer the best motherboard and combo deals. Turns out this arrangement was unknown to other Fry's higher ups. When they found out, those deals ended and person responsible is no longer with Fry's. How close my recollection is to the actual story, I'm not sure. But something unique was going on which allowed Fry's to pretty much slay everyone else in terms of offering the best mobo deals. You don't see them offering the best deals there much anymore.
Fry's still slay nearly everyone else on memory deals however. Provided you can deal with rebates because they use them a lot. Newegg is also good in terms of memory deals. They both tend to offer the best computer case deals as well.

Some time ago I asked a Fry's salesperson when they were going to have the mobo/cpu combo sales because I had not seen one in a while. He said they stopped it because there were too many returns. I don't recall if he said it was because people didn't know what they were doing or buying. But I've never seen a combo sale at Fry's since then.

I think it's weird that Fry's has their bookkeeping or accounting department visible at the checkout area. I've never seen a business like that. And if you return an item you have to first go to the return area, which is typical, but then you have to get in the cashier line in order to get your credit or money back.

It appears you're in the Chicagoland area, & I'm in the 'burbs. I've never been to the Micro Center on Chicago's north side but I've heard people say they didn't like the look of the place. I've only gone to the Westmont location & think it is nice & the people are knowledgeable. Pricing should be the same at either location.

I'm glad I have choice though which one to buy from depending on what I might need. And of course there's also a few CompUSA/Tigerdirect stores in the area.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Are you serious? No one comes close to Micro Center's Intel CPU prices. Not even remotely close. I3-2100 for $89.99. Not"once in a while", but every day. My i5-3570k/dh77kc combo, with tax, was still $100 less than Newegg or Amazon. In the pre-flood days, their bulk hard drive prices were always lowest. Memory is cheap but almost always entails a rebate. On cases they're competitive, on psus they're expensive. And they don't carry ITX stuff or s or t processors.
You have to know what to buy at MC and what to buy elsewhere, but if you have one available they will ALWAYS be cheapest on cpus.

I got a Intel G620 for $49.99 at Micro Center. They were also a bit cheaper on a 1.5TB HDD.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I dunno I find that kind of hard to swallow, those combo deals were going on for so many years how could they have missed it. Heck I remember taking the ECS boards back and getting refunded on the board. They caught on to that quick and I was only able to pull it of once but that was way back in the day when XP was just released. The ECS boards were pure crap and can understand why people were getting frustrated dealing with sub par equipment, guaranteed return no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Some time ago I asked a Fry's salesperson when they were going to have the mobo/cpu combo sales because I had not seen one in a while. He said they stopped it because there were too many returns. I don't recall if he said it was because people didn't know what they were doing or buying. But I've never seen a combo sale at Fry's since then.
I think it's weird that Fry's has their bookkeeping or accounting department visible at the checkout area. I've never seen a business like that. And if you return an item you have to first go to the return area, which is typical, but then you have to get in the cashier line in order to get your credit or money back.
It appears you're in the Chicagoland area, & I'm in the 'burbs. I've never been to the Micro Center on Chicago's north side but I've heard people say they didn't like the look of the place. I've only gone to the Westmont location & think it is nice & the people are knowledgeable. Pricing should be the same at either location.
I'm glad I have choice though which one to buy from depending on what I might need. And of course there's also a few CompUSA/Tigerdirect stores in the area.

I would tend to agree with this statement, I bent some pins on an Intel build and they wouldn't let me return it, Gigabyte however fixed for free so I was able to get that up and running as my main theater rig. Towards the end of combo days I noticed they were really cracking down on PC part returns. My last combo purchase was for me and jumped in the I5 and Gigabyte deal, along with an I7 combo the following week. Both system are still running strong GA-P55 UD3's. I won't be upgrading for at least another three to four years unless something breaks, but I have yet to see any of my Gigabyte boards fail, I'm typing this in my garage PC which is a P4 on an 875P Giga board runnin W7 these parts are old and was built for XP but the system runs perfect with an HD 2600 AGP card.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

And if it is cheaper at NewEgg then MC will price match them. I've mentioned this before, but the best smartphone app for shopping at MC is the NewEgg app. Just scan the item's barcode with the app, check the NewEgg price, and then ask an employee to match it. They just print out a sheet that you take to the register for the match.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

And if it is cheaper at NewEgg then MC will price match them. I've mentioned this before, but the best smartphone app for shopping at MC is the NewEgg app. Just scan the item's barcode with the app, check the NewEgg price, and then ask an employee to match it. They just print out a sheet that you take to the register for the match.

Someone posted here recently that MC had stopped price matching. I haven't tried since then so don't know personally if they have. When was the last time you got something price matched there?
post #14 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Someone posted here recently that MC had stopped price matching. I haven't tried since then so don't know personally if they have. When was the last time you got something price matched there?

About three or four weeks ago I bought a Logitech G700 mouse that I price matched to NE.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page