24 hour skip function? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Is there a 24 hour skip or jump function in the guide?

My Dish DVR has this ability & it’s real handy to check the same program every day of the week. For example there may be a daily program but I only watch it when the topic interests me. I can check it Monday at 3pm & then just jump to Tues, then Wed, etc in order to view the details. This saves a lot of time by not having to scroll hourly to get to the same listing on he following day.

Can this be does with WMC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Is there a 24 hour skip or jump function in the guide?
My Dish DVR has this ability & it’s real handy to check the same program every day of the week. For example there may be a daily program but I only watch it when the topic interests me. I can check it Monday at 3pm & then just jump to Tues, then Wed, etc in order to view the details. This saves a lot of time by not having to scroll hourly to get to the same listing on he following day.
Can this be does with WMC?
Just push next or chapter skip or whatever the button is called twice. It skips ahead 12 hours every press.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Just push next or chapter skip or whatever the button is called twice. It skips ahead 12 hours every press.

Thanks for the information.

I’m using a wireless keyboard & clicking on the menu option buttons displayed on the HDTV. Here’s what’s happening for me.

If I start out & select the Guide none of the Skip or FF or FR buttons work. They are grayed out, as are the Stop & Play buttons.

If I’m watching a recording or live TV & then switch to the Guide screen the Skip, FF & RW buttons work within the Guide. I can also pause the recording or live TV & switch to the Guide screen & the buttons work. I also noticed the FF & RW buttons do a 3 hour skip.

Sometime when watching live TV & Stopping & then switching to the Guide only the Skip back & RW buttons work. I’m still trying to figure out what sequence of button pushes causes this scenario.

But I do need to have some program playing or paused in the background in order for the 12 hour skip to work. Is this normal behavior or do I need to change some setting?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WMC really isn't designed for full-time use without a remote control. They are very cheap so you should get one.

With a remote, the guide skips 12 hours forward or back with the 4-way rocker switch. Some addons might take over certain buttons while playing TV (e.g. DVRMStoolbox).
post #5 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohh-bah View Post

WMC really isn't designed for full-time use without a remote control. They are very cheap so you should get one.
With a remote, the guide skips 12 hours forward or back with the 4-way rocker switch. Some addons might take over certain buttons while playing TV (e.g. DVRMStoolbox).

I do plan on getting a remote. I just built this HTPC and am using a wireless keyboard I already had in order to make sure everything works.

But I am curious, when you use the remote for the 12 hour skip does your HDTV display those skip & FF buttons as grayed out? I'm concerned that I might not have something set correctly. IOW if they are grayed out for me then perhaps a remote will not control them either.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 153
That's normal if you have live TV stopped.

For a keyboard use Ctrl - F

post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

That's normal if you have live TV stopped.
For a keyboard use Ctrl - F

Thanks, that works. And I tried Ctrl - B and that skips back 12 hours.

I searched all over for documentation on using the guide and everything just comes up with the basics. Is there a comprehensive tutorial on the guide or WMC?

Is there a keyboard function that duplicates the 3 hour FF & RW functions of clicking on the screen buttons?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page