Is managing posters and thumbnails really this hard? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Because of some minor issue I've had with Plex Media Center, I've been looking at other options. A major requirement is being able to centrally manage artwork (i.e., I want to change a poster from one computer and have that change reflected on all my HTPCs). Plex does this beautifully. I haven't had such luck with XBMC or Media Browser. Moreover, I've found that Media Browser's (as well as my movies) own metadata collector stinks, which makes being able to change posters and such manually a necessity. XBMC seems to be better, but I will still like the option to edit artwork.

In XBMC, it's easy to change artwork for one HTPC, but I don't see a way to push those changes to other computers. Media Browser doesn't appear to have a way to change metadata at all. It looks like the only option is to use your own metadata. I've looked at metabrowser and media center master, but neither seem to work as I want them to. Metabrowser downright refuses to download any posters or backdrops. It also seems to suffer from an abysmal lack of documentation.

If media center master has an option to select between different posters and artwork, I haven't found it. There's an 'artwork manager' section for each file, but it only appears to let you delete files or manually add your own. Is there a better program out there for for my needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out these instructions for XBMC - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Synchronize_multiple_XBMC_libraries
post #3 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizznock View Post

Check out these instructions for XBMC - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Synchronize_multiple_XBMC_libraries

I actually spent around 5 hours the other day trying to get those directions to work with no success. Moreover, it cautions against synchronizing artwork (apparently it's extremely slow). It's amazing how much simpler Plex is in this regard.

Fortunately, I found an option in Media Center Master under the artwork tab in settings called "enable the old right-click method of choosing posters, banners, and backdrops/fanart". I don't understand why it's disabled by default. It seems to accomplish exactly what I want.

Annoyingly, metadata and artwork changes aren't automatically detected by Media Browser, so I have to refresh each HTPC each time. Again, I'm kind of shocked how much hard all this stuff is on XBMC and Media Browser compared to Plex. Don't many people on this forum manage multiple HTPCs? Don't they find this all really inconvenient? If only Plex could fix refresh rate switching, add forced subtitle detection, and fix audio/video sync issues, I would be back in a heart beat.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Liked: 18
LOL it was never this hard before. I just upgraded MB to ver 2.6 and it's just a pain. Going back to 2.5

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #5 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you considered a paid solution like My Movies?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM

As of ver 4.02 My Movies is not compatabe with MB. My Movies ver 4.03 will allow you the option to save a movies.xml file instead of a mymovies.xml file. I already checked on that.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

As of ver 4.02 My Movies is not compatabe with MB. My Movies ver 4.03 will allow you the option to save a movies.xml file instead of a mymovies.xml file. I already checked on that.

I was thinking of it as a replacement for what lockdown has, not in addition to it. I've been using the 4.03 pre-release 3 (as you said, 4 will change to movies.xml) release and it's solid and works great.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

I was thinking of it as a replacement for what lockdown has, not in addition to it. I've been using the 4.03 pre-release 3 (as you said, 4 will change to movies.xml) release and it's solid and works great.

It's funny you bring up my movies because I've been playing with it this afternoon. I actually have 1250 points from years ago when I use to use it. Unfortunately, there's still a problem with the movie.xml generator, even in the latest pre-release. I'm actually experiencing this issue (the movie.xml files are encrypted when there not suppose to be, so media browser won't read them).

Interestingly, My Movies is actually working on refresh rate switching within WMC. Depending on how that turns out I might switch over completely!
post #9 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

It's funny you bring up my movies because I've been playing with it this afternoon. I actually have 1250 points from years ago when I use to use it. Unfortunately, there's still a problem with the movie.xml generator, even in the latest pre-release. I'm actually experiencing this issue (the movie.xml files are encrypted when there not suppose to be, so media browser won't read them).
Interestingly, My Movies is actually working on refresh rate switching within WMC. Depending on how that turns out I might switch over completely!

Yup there is still a problem with the movie.xml files according to the MyMovies forums.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I use MCM to manage all my metadata, and I do this manually, so I don't use any auto-scrapers at all. Never had any problems with this. I also upgraded to MB 2.6 at the weekend, and all went well. Did a full refresh of the metadata, and no problems to report.

MB 2.6 in blindingly fast now, and having switched from Chocolate (no longer developed by the looks of it) to Vanilla, it's all looking very good. I've just got to get these new localized ratings icons working now, but not all themes have been updated to support them yet!
post #11 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

I use MCM to manage all my metadata, and I do this manually, so I don't use any auto-scrapers at all. Never had any problems with this. I also upgraded to MB 2.6 at the weekend, and all went well. Did a full refresh of the metadata, and no problems to report.
MB 2.6 in blindingly fast now, and having switched from Chocolate (no longer developed by the looks of it) to Vanilla, it's all looking very good. I've just got to get these new localized ratings icons working now, but not all themes have been updated to support them yet!

It's working okay, but I'm still having one issue. With movies that aren't automatically detected (like Face/Off for instance because the '/' is missing in the folder name) I can correct using the imdb number. However, then it won't let me change the artwork. I guess it's not passing the correct imdb information off to the artwork selector.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is what I do to share artwork.

• I use MB with the Movie collection stored on a server.
  • I followed the MB guide to move the ImagesByName folder to the server. This makes sure all of the art for covers, backdrops, and people are shared to multiple HTPCs.
  • To get metadata and artwork I primarily use MetaVideoEditor. I like this much better than MCM.
  • I do use MCM occasionally as it pulls in the people images and MetaVideoEditor does not.
  • There are a few ZIP files available with large numbers of people images available, I pulled down those and merged them into my ImagesByName directory.
  • I rip new movies to a local desktop PC and do all of the metadata work locally, after I am done I move the movie directory to the server.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Is mediamaster still the best choice for metadata scraping today ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page