Ovation Home Media - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After some discussions last year with the owner Eric, I decided I would beta test the media player and remote software, and have done so for a little over a year now.

To me, the best part was that the remote software could control not only the media player but also my TV, AV Amp, and DirecTV HD DVR.

Anyway, I have been wanting to show off “my” system, and was finally given the green light from Eric to show some screenshots of my system. So without further ado…

I did a screen capture of the Home screen with a capture of the view on the remote together.
HomeCombo.jpg

Once you select Movies from the Home screen, you are brought to the Options - Movies Screen. Here are where you can click through to the library, play a disc in the drive, or do a backup of the disk in the drive. It's a one-click backup NICE!!!
MoviesScreen.jpg

Clicking on the library let's you scroll through your library either on the TV or right there on your remote. For me this was great. If my then 3 1/2 year old wanted me to put a movie on for him, I could do so from any room in the house since it works off of WiFi, and not RF or IR. And the software resides on my Android smartphone so, I always have the "remote" with me. Over the course of more than a year though, my almost 5 year old can now navigate the remote and pick his own movies, as well as kick my butt at Angry Birds.
LibraryCombo.jpg

Just a better view of the remote navigation of the library. This is just the cat's ass if you ask me.
Library2.jpg

Once you select a movie, it gives you the synopsis and options to play the movie, or cancel and go back to library.
Movies_Browse_Info_0-1.jpg

You can also go right to the "internet" from the player as well with just a click of the button. The remote software has a surfpad integrated into it for navigating the screen and webpages, as well as keyboard, etc.
SurfPad_00-1.jpgDesktopSurfpad.jpg

Absolute best part to me is integration of DirecTV DVR control! YES!
NavControls.jpgDVRControls.jpg

Other plus is included "Favorites" screen with channel logos.
Favorites.jpg

The system has some other neat features like photo album, and music library, but the movies and Sat tv are awesome. Except for Kaleidascape, I don't know any other system that does all this. And not all of us have tens of thousands of dollars for the Kaleida.

I have to add, Eric is a top-notch guy and was there to get me up and running, and on point ever since to address nuanced suggestions for DVR nav, etc.. And extremely fast at answering questions and updates to the system and remote software.

Thanks again dude!biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Meant to add you can go to http://www.ovationhomemedia.com/ for other info or questions if they're beyond my technical understanding.
post #3 of 71 Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
To work with the OHMS system, the receiver or preamp must have an RS-232 serial control port available. So you need a high-end AVR. At least one with an MSRP of around $700 to $800 and a street price of maybe $500 to $600. Then it looks like you're stuck buying their server too?

That's fine for some, but why not build your own system?

That said, I haven't seen a DirectTV tuner device but will it support CableCARD tuners?

post #4 of 71 Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I would think most receivers from the last 5 years or so would have the capability. You're likely not building a HTPC / Media Server to play across your HTIB. I know my 3808 which is now a 4 year old receiver has rs232.

First and foremost is because some of the gripes and complaints of others about not having a true "universal" remote that controls everything. This thing pretty much neutralizes all of the major gripes that I had regarding 24fps issues, media metadata, Blu-Ray playback issues, which media player to use, remote control questions, network streaming, etc.

To me, it's geared towards those of us who aren't so enthused by building. This means not only the advantages of the others here who build "ready made" boxes, but an integrated remote not 3, control over their entire home theater and not just the media player. Plus it seamlessly lets me switch between media player and desktop with simple controls and surfing still done by my remote. From anywhere in the house.

If you compared this to anything, it would be comparable to Kaleidascape. Do you know how much one of those damn things cost? I, personally, don't have that kind of disposable income.

Anywho, I'm sure there are some who this would help as well as others who like to constantly tinker. To each their own, just wanted to share my experience with something different than a homebuilt box.
post #5 of 71 Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The 3808 had an MSRP north of $2k. The minimum Denon that does this in the XX12 line is the 2312ci, MSRP $850, street $600.

"From anywhere in the house"? So it is an RF remote then?

Hmm. This device seems to be basically a pre-built HTPC. The case is even just a Silverstone.

How much are they?

post #6 of 71 Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Nah, the remote is WiFi.

My Droid Incredible 2 is my remote. It's always on me. smile.gif That's how I was able to do screen captures of the remote screens on my device.

It's not so much just the hardware, it's the software too. How many DIY guys have 1-touch "backup" of their DVD and/or BluRay and it automatically takes over from the push of a button on the remote?

I don't know exact cost, that would be better inquired over on the ovation page. I was told that it would only be a "fraction" of what Kaleidascape sold for if that helps.
post #7 of 71 Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't even have an ODD in my HTPC. It is much easier to pop a disc in the external Blu-ray drive I put together that sits on my desk over a cup of coffee while I check my email and have MakeMKV rip it for me.

As far as smartphone apps for control, there's Plex and Remote Potato and several remote apps available in the playstore. Plus, when I get home each day my phone needs to get on the charger. It would go dead before night's end using it as a remote. My wife has to have a remote and wouldn't adapt well to using here iPhone to control the TV/AVR/HTPC anyhow.

I guess I'm just not a big fan of pre-built systems having built every computer (except laptops) I've owned since 1988. I prefer to tweek it to my specifications than rely on somebody else to do it for me. That way I know what's in the box and can fix it myself when I have to.

post #8 of 71 Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 PM

Liked: 14
@sammy2,

I am the designer and developer of the Ovation Home Media Systems (OHMS) media player and remote control products. Scfoxman has given me permission to post in this thread to help answer technical questions about the OHMS system. Below are answers to some of your questions.

Q: "...it looks like you're stuck buying their server too":
A: Not necessarily. the OHMS MaCE was designed to easily accommodate any external storage device as long as the folder structure is in OHMS format. Servers from OHMS do provide a basic level of fault tolerance though, as they can survive a single disc failure without loss of media data and they come with OHMS support.

Q: "...The minimum Denon that does this in the XX12 line is the 2312ci, MSRP $850, street $600":
A: We've found most people cross shopping OHMS devices with their competition peers probably already have receivers with serial control. If not, new or re-furbed Denon receivers with serial can easily be had for less than $500. In addition, you don't have to use Denon. Four other receiver manufacturers are supported (Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer and Marantz) with compatible devices in various price ranges. In fact, the OHMS system can be used in a base configuration even without a receiver as long as the display device has an HDMI or VGA input, though much of the OHMS' system potential will go unused.
EDIT: The OHMS system now has integrated IR capability and now supports virtually ANY AV device (receivers, set top boxes and displays)

Q: "...As far as smartphone apps for control, there's Plex and Remote Potato...":
A: Plex and Remote Potato are good for what they offer, but neither are capable of acting as a universal remote control (URC), with receiver or processor control, or source switching, or DirecTV control nor can they control master system volume (the single most used function on a remote). Plus these apps require setup and tweaking for integration just to work properly.

Q: " ...I get home each day my phone needs to get on the charger...":
A: Well If that's true, then you can't use your phone(s) for Plex or Remote Potato either! Which means you have to buy another remote control to control the system. In this case, instead of buying an expensive Harmony or other URC, you can go down to the Best Buy, and purchase an inexpensive no contract phone (we've tested Cricket ZTE Score phones) put our ORCA app on it and use it as a remote control. You don't have to activate the phone and you can even surf the web on it while controlling the OHMS MaCE player! (try that with a Harmony or other URC).

Thank you for your interest and thank you Scfoxman for the opportunity to address these questions.

OvationSupport
steelman1991 likes this.
post #9 of 71 Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't use those apps either. I'm very comfortable with my Harmony 900 remote that is available for use by the entire family at any time. I picked up this remote for a very good price. I'm not going to buy a no contract phone to operate my HTPC because this remote lets me operate way more than the HTPC and is available for everybody.

As far as the AVR goes, I just now updated to one with rs232 this year and that was only because I had a problem with the HDMI board on my existing AVR. So it is not a good idea to sell a system that requires an upgrade of other equipment.

What is the folder structure? It would seem to me that your server really isn't anything special. Anyone can build a server.

My HTPC and network work in harmony with each other just fine and my HTPC works beautifully. Why would I pay more for something I can put together myself and know every component and every piece of s/w and f/w in the system?

post #10 of 71 Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 PM

@Sammy2,

Thank you for your response. I’ll try to answer your questions and clear up some misconceptions.

Q: “I'm not going to buy a no contract phone to operate my HTPC because this [Harmony] remote lets me operate way more than the HTPC...”
A: The ORCA remote control app controls much more than just an ‘htpc’. It controls your AV receiver or processor, your DirecTV or cable tuner (if you have one), your TV display (if it’s compatible) and when used with the MaCE player, can be programmed to control ANY AV device with a serial or Ethernet port. Furthermore, as good as the Harmony and similar remotes are, they do not allow you to browse, edit and control your media from anywhere in your house. Nor are Harmony type remotes an effective replacement for a keyboard to use for surfing the net.

As I posted previously, smart phones are prevalent (and tablets becoming so), and many users already have one they can comfortably use as a remote control. For those that don’t, inexpensive and non-proprietary devices are easily and cheaply obtained (ZTE score, et al). These devices are far more versatile and obsolescent resistant than traditional universal remotes as they are software driven (in this case, by our ORCA software) which is easily updated.

Q: “...So it is not a good idea to sell a system that requires an upgrade of other equipment”
A: As stated in my previous post, the OHMS system does not require you buy a receiver (or any other piece of ancillary gear). You don’t even need a receiver to use the OHMS system, just a TV.

Q: “What is the folder structure? ”
A: The OHMS MaCE player looks for certain folder names to locate media., e.g, \\Movies\Blu-ray\, \\Music\Jazz\, etc. . Simple as that.

I’m sure Scfoxman (and other beta testers) will be along any day now to share his/their experiences with the OHMS system and address any real world usability concerns you may have.

in the meantime it might be helpful to read the FAQs section on the Ovation Home Media Systems site at: www.OvationHomeMedia.com/faqs.html. This should answer most of your questions and clear up some misconceptions about the OHMS system.

Once again, thank you for your interest.
steelman1991 likes this.
post #11 of 71 Old 06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want to use your system with an AVR for playback of HD Audio with your remote solution it looks to me you need rs232. Logitech Harmony remotes are as future proof as you can get. I've been using Harmony remotes with my system for going on 10 years. Every time I add or remove a piece, Logitech has the replacement it the database. Like I said, I'm not opposed to using my phone to control my system. I do it now for the AVR. I can browse audio media on it no problem.. But having a dedicated remote is something that is needed in my system and the Harmony is it. If I'm going to browse video media, what reason would I want to do that from any other room than the room with the AVR and TV in it? Let's be realistic here. I'm not going to browse my movie and TV series collection when I'm sitting on the can. So there are practical limitations to that. My AVR is a two zone AVR so I can control the outside wireless speakers from my android through the WiFi to my router and ethernet to the AVR's IP address from the patio. I'm just not seeing the point in doing this with the system you are marketing. Maybe somebody with extra $$$ laying around that just wants to pay for a system like this will buy it but just now me. One other thing, does this HTPC work with a CableCARD Tuner with a guide?

post #12 of 71 Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM

Rather than belabor scfoxman's thread any further, lets agree that based upon your usage patterns and stated home theater objectives, the OHMS system may not be for you.

Thank you for your interest.
post #13 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I contacted Eric the owner/maker of these guys last year when he first posted on AVS looking for beta testers. I haven't posted in awhile, I've been busy with my career and school. First let me say I work at a software design corporation and am a HTPC nut as well. I liked what Erick has going. The first thing I noticed is he is superb at customer service, so many people in business these days forget how important that is. The best thing I liked about this setup was the ease of setup and the remote control software and integration with my TV and AVR. I have tried many, many diferent remotes, keyboards, ios and android apps and this was one of the best all around solutions. It really did a great job of controlling everything. I dont know whats wrong with Sammy but if your not into it or don't think its for you fine, don't keep hashing on the same subjects degrading it over and over. My android phone works wonderfully for it. What Erick said about buying a separate phone to use just for a remote is a completely realistic idea. I actually bought an ipod just for this reason and would do the same for an android phone but I will just use my current one when I upgrade. Also, RS232 is easily accessible on avr's under 500, and they will continue to do so I'm sure. For the average Best Buy type everyday consumer or for an AVS type HTPC enthusiast who doesn't have the time or doesn't feel like building one, this is an excellent solution. I personally like building my own with xbmc but I am also probably not the intended targeted consumer for this.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #14 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I suppose it is a great system for those that don't want to build and set up their own system. That's not me.

Sorry if I came off wrong in expressing that.

post #15 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
looks cool, not sure what it would get me that CQC doesn't... but still cool...

one question I do have is how long before our Benevolent Media Overlords sue them out of existence over the easy dvd/br back up? thats the kind of thing that really pisses off our Benevolent Media Overlords, I guess they would just like to pretend that backups don't exist...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #16 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

looks cool, not sure what it would get me that CQC doesn't... but still cool...
one question I do have is how long before our Benevolent Media Overlords sue them out of existence over the easy dvd/br back up? thats the kind of thing that really pisses off our Benevolent Media Overlords, I guess they would just like to pretend that backups don't exist...

What is CQC?
post #17 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

post #18 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks if I had even any idea that it was a home automation system I'd have googled that myself - a google search on CQC revealed nothing of relevance - a bit like your postings on this thread - thanks again.
post #19 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I searched CQC first and got the home automation on the first google page. I added it to the lmgtfy link to make it more relevant.

My post revealed nothing of revelance? It all depends on perspective I guess.

post #20 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I searched CQC first and got the home automation on the first google page. I added it to the lmgtfy link to make it more relevant.
My post revealed nothing of revelance? It all depends on perspective I guess.

Not on this side of the pond (UK) my smart friend - a google search only reveals links to the 'Care Quality Commission'.
post #21 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

yea, CQC is a home automation/HT automation software package... very nice, but also very pricey, and not everyone's cup of tea...
but it works very well, does what I need it to, and lots, lots more... and I quite happen to like it...

I was just wondering if OHM offers me anything I don't already have, I would guess its a bit cheaper, and if all you want is the HT/automation side of things it is probably a good enough... but I already have CQC controlling my pre/pro, and my lights, and my screen, my Sage HD300, etc... and more to the point, it is already paid for, so therefore the cost of CQC is a non-issue for me...

but I am curious on the media capabilities of OHM... and is it controllable from external controllers (aka CQC in my case?) although I think some of that control may be a bit redundant...

anyway, still OHM looks cool, and I wish it the best...

and just a FWIW, IMHO,etc, it looks like if someone wanted to do a DiY version of OHM, it would be far more work than just 'build a HTPC', just from the descriptions and such, it looks like at a minimum you would also need to set up something like eventghost, write a custom IOS/android app, etc... not undoable... but not trivial either...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #22 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Not on this side of the pond (UK) my smart friend - a google search only reveals links to the 'Care Quality Commission'.

hmm, on this side of the pond I get Close Quarters Combat.... not sure what that means (the whole my side of pond gets combat / your side gets quality care)???? how is that fair?

but overall, point taken I should of been more descriptive...

post #23 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty telling, isn't it.

post #24 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess if you want to automate your house that is cool. I still get out of the chair to dim the lights and don't mind doing it.

post #25 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess if you want to automate your house that is cool.
actually, never quite made it out of the theater... well there is some very basic light automation, and HVAC stuff in the beginning stages, but still 95% of my automation is all theater related...
Quote:

I still get out of the chair to dim the lights and don't mind doing it.
you actually get up to dim the lights? how quaint... what do you do when the movie is over? how do you make the lights turn back on?

I must say, I like my way better... movie starts to play, lights dim. movie pauses/stops, light come on (assuming the projector is the display device... nothing happens light wise for just the TV...), not only do I not have to get up, I don't need to do anything...

post #26 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I understand what you are saying but I don't have a theater. I have a family room.

BTW, a Harmony can be programmed to control relatively cheap Lutron controllers.

post #27 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, a Harmony can be programmed to control relatively cheap Lutron controllers.
I have a harmony somewhere... also an original pronto... they are mostly useless...
they cant tell me what source is currently selected on my pre/pro, they cant tell me the run time of the currently playing movie/show/song, doesn't work with my Sonos at all, actually displays no useful metadata at all... cant even tell me who is making the phone ring... seems the list of things they cant do far out weights the things they can...

post #28 of 71 Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

A Harmony is just a remote. It's not designed to do any of the things you just described. It's a simple controller, which is why it's affordable.
post #29 of 71 Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM

@JoeyDrunk

Hello Joey!. Thanks for the kind words (check your PM).
post #30 of 71 Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

...I am curious on the media capabilities of OHM... and is it controllable from external controllers (aka CQC in my case?) although I think some of that control may be a bit redundant...

@SomeWhatLost

By my estimation, based upon your setup description, you already have a grand system and it is unlikely OHMS would be able to improve upon it.

However, can you elaborate on the "...the media Capabilities" you seek? Perhaps there might be something useful OHMS can offer.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page