Different between passive DP and DP++ - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Different between passive DP and DP++
hlkc's Avatar hlkc 07:01 PM 06-12-2012

Is there any different between passive DP and DP ++?

My MB has a DP++ port and I got one of the passive adapter, DP to HDMI, but it is not working, no AV.

Is that menas since my MB has a DP++ port, therefore I need an adapter which can do DP++ and pass thru DVI/HDMI signals?

Is that means there are 2 DP ports/standard out there, DP++ and DP, and DP++ can pass thru DVI and HDMI signals without conversion?

renethx's Avatar renethx 07:52 PM 06-12-2012

DP++ can transmits DVI/HDMI signals as well as DP (so a passive adapter is enough). DP transmits DP only; it requires an *active* adapter to convert DP signals to DVI/HDMI.

I assume you want to attach three DVI/HDMI displays. Then you will need an active adapter (~$30 like this) whatever i/dGPU you use (Intel/AMD).

hlkc's Avatar hlkc 08:04 PM 06-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

DP++ can transmits DVI/HDMI signals as well as DP (so a passive adapter is enough). DP transmits DP only; it requires an *active* adapter to convert DP signals to DVI/HDMI.

I assume you want to attach three DVI/HDMI displays. Then you will need an active adapter (~$30 like this) whatever i/dGPU you use (Intel/AMD).

renethx welcome back! We all missed you here!

Regarding my problem... my new MB has a displayport powering by the Intel HD4000 and should be DP++, which triggers passive DP signal, right? But I got one of the passive DP to HDMI adapter, se belo, but no luck. Any idea why? 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=4826&seq=1&format=2

renethx's Avatar renethx 09:09 PM 06-12-2012

Which mb are you using? I checked ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE Z77 mb with DP port, but none of them has this logo:

_DPRTSOC.GIF

hlkc's Avatar hlkc 09:31 PM 06-12-2012

Thanks for looking into this one with me. I've the Asus P8Z77-V Premium.

I wrote to Asus Support and below is their reply.

"The display port provided by the Intel HD4000 is DP++, which triggers passive DP to HDMI cable."

renethx's Avatar renethx 09:45 PM 06-12-2012

P8Z77-V Premium does not have *DP++ logo* either. Perhaps better not trust tech support (the majority of these tech support people actually don't know technologies, even of their own products). smile.gif

hlkc's Avatar hlkc 09:54 PM 06-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

P8Z77-V Premium does not have *DP++ logo* either. Perhaps better not trust tech support (the majority of these tech support people actually don't know technologies, even of their own products). smile.gif

LOL!!!

So I guess I need to be creative now...

What do you think one of below and DVI to HDMI converter them HDMI to my projector? I should have picture there, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815129011

renethx's Avatar renethx 10:24 PM 06-12-2012

Yes.

Up
Mobile  Desktop