DQ77KB Thin Mini-ITX - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 122 Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi your guide is what got me started on this.

I want an ivy bridge cpu (Comparable to the apple mac book air 2012 with hd4000 graphics my wife has one and I like it alot). and ram. I cannot tell what ram you are using. I do know that the cpu in your guide is the sandy bridge g620.

I am guessing the Intel Core i3-3225 or Core i7-3770S are my only options.

I want to make sure it can do 3d no probs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Check my guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 122 Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
It's all in the guide at my blog. I don't update the one here anymore.
post #93 of 122 Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all DQ77KB owners, I've been looking at getting this board for my new HTPC build, but I hit a 'hold the phone' moment when I started reading on the Intel specs site that the audio was only 4-channel (2+2) audio.

There was talk earlier in this thread of this not being a problem over HDMI (which is how I'd be using it) but I'm a bit stumped as to why that'd be the case and why Intel specifies 4-channel.

Would anyone who has this board (or who is more familiar with these sorts of specs) mind shedding some light on what audio capabilities the DQ77KB board has: is it 2+2, 5.1, 7.1 or other?

Many thanks!
post #94 of 122 Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJbravo View Post

Hi all DQ77KB owners, I've been looking at getting this board for my new HTPC build, but I hit a 'hold the phone' moment when I started reading on the Intel specs site that the audio was only 4-channel (2+2) audio.
There was talk earlier in this thread of this not being a problem over HDMI (which is how I'd be using it) but I'm a bit stumped as to why that'd be the case and why Intel specifies 4-channel.
Would anyone who has this board (or who is more familiar with these sorts of specs) mind shedding some light on what audio capabilities the DQ77KB board has: is it 2+2, 5.1, 7.1 or other?
Many thanks!

That refers to the analog audio which is part of the motherboard (the green and red jacks on the rear, each with two channels hence 2+2). The HDMI audio is part of the integrated GPU which is part of the CPU so it's neither part of the motherboard nor would it be listed in the motherboard specs.

post #95 of 122 Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

That refers to the analog audio which is part of the motherboard (the green and red jacks on the rear, each with two channels hence 2+2). The HDMI audio is part of the integrated GPU which is part of the CPU so it's neither part of the motherboard nor would it be listed in the motherboard specs.

Aha! Thank you very much! I hadn't clicked that CPU+GPU would also mean CPU+GPU+Audio, so thanks for your heads-up.

Excellent news, so now I just need to find a stockist of the slim Lian-li case and Intel cooler on this hemisphere of the planet and we'll be away... cool.gif
post #96 of 122 Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CJbravo,

I don't know availability in NZ, but you haven't picked up a case, consider this case from Silverstone http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163219

I have it and it works really good with the DQ77KB. It looks very similar to a DVD player. I was even able to stick an Inteset internal USB Receiver behind the mesh inside of the case. It easily picks up my IR signal from 20ft away.

---

On a slightly different point,

I have this motherboard with a i3-3225. Anyone with an Intel HD 4000 experiencing the video corruption while watching WMC LiveTV described in here http://communities.intel.com/thread/30167?start=0&tstart=0
Basically, every once in a while I get what looks like pixelation/macroblocking in the moving parts of the picture for a few seconds. Intel has confirmed the problem and is working on a fix, but just wondering if other people here are seeing the problem.
post #97 of 122 Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristleconer View Post

Next note, the power supply is an external 19V "laptop" brick, maximum amps for using the external connection is 8 amps or about 160W. Mini-box has what looks like the highest watts available in this category: PWR-ACDC-19V-8.4A-160W

I am toying with a DH61AG or DQ77KB build soon (or an NUC depending on when they come along), but the temptation for me would be to try running a low power gpu of some sort with a riser card out from the x4 PCIe slot. I have read of other people tempted to go down this route - a slim machine capable of some mild gaming would be a fun project.

Apart from the fact that the graphics card would be slightly hamstrung by bandwith, providing enough power with a laptop brick is my other worry. Elsewhere in this thread there is mention of a compatible 230w Dell brick which could be interesting. Does anyone know if 8 amps/roughly 160w is the cap on power these boards can draw? If so, I'm guessing the 230w Dell brick doesn't actually help providing any headroom.
post #98 of 122 Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 AM

Lots of supported CPUs have been dropped from the Intel support list have any of you had problems with the latest bios?
post #99 of 122 Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz View Post

Lots of supported CPUs have been dropped from the Intel support list have any of you had problems with the latest bios?

This list hasn't lost any cpus since they published it, though it didn't come out when the board first released:

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=dq77kb

Before that it just said "i7/i5/i3" on the product info page. Other people assumed that meant any i7 of course they had other plans. (I guessed and used a LP xeon on it before they had any list at all)

>65W cpus were never on the full list, though they did work with the original shipping bios. Been a couple threads on their forums but basically you are SOL if you bought (for example) a cheap 3770K and want to underclock it, any bios updates won't have these.

I have been keeping an eye on this page (saving a copy etc) after having dealt with a screwup from their ark site. If they ever pull my cpu, its going to be refund time.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #100 of 122 Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Maybe i'm thinking of the DH61AG that people where complaining used to have the 2390t listed as supported but is now no longer listed.

Does the 2390t work with the DQ77KB?
post #101 of 122 Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I'm new to AVS and just wanted to say hello smile.gif. @Digz I have the I5-2390t installed in the DQ77KB and can confirm it works perfectly with the newest bios as of today (48). I've been reading AVS forever and wanted to contribute something helpful.

Also, I finally received a proper case for this tiny build (a 24/7 Plex/NAS/Torrent/SSH server). Sidewinder Computers is the only USA carrier of the Akasa Cypher, AFAIK. I just moved everything over from a Habey EMC-600BL and have to say, the Cypher is awesome. It's a nice case, I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

TX
Digz likes this.
post #102 of 122 Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM

Thanks txhobbyist smile.gif
post #103 of 122 Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Anyone run memtest on the DQ77KB board?
post #104 of 122 Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Anyone run memtest on the DQ77KB board?

Any particular reason? It doesn't support ECC if you're wondering.

My pcap box has been running on it for a few months, and its doing 24/7 heavy I/O with lots of processing.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #105 of 122 Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM

On 2 brand new sets of Sodimms i get "random number sequence errors" around tests 6 and 7 and somebody else said the same on another forum ( though i can't find the link as i never booked it) .

Unless we happen to be unlucky i wondered if for some reason Memtest doesn't like this board and is causing a false error as the ram seems to work perfectly without any BSODs.
post #106 of 122 Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 AM

It turns out you need the latest beta for Ivy Bridge support.

Just ran it and it runs perfectly without any errors.

Sigh.smile.gif
post #107 of 122 Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Is there any clarification on the input-voltage issue of this board? Especially, is it possible to run it with less than 19V input, as they say in the first version of the specs? Has anyone tried this?

It's a bit daring, but I want to run the board directly from a battery, which can do about 14-17V. For a 35W TDP CPU, a strong battery should be able to power this ...

Thanks,

Georg
post #108 of 122 Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 PM

@lippit, if the input tolerance were around ±10% you might be able to squeeze by at 17.1V. I think typically it's ±5% though. The Intel site has technical docs, try looking through them for a definitive answer so you don't fry a board... smile.gif

Question, is anyone running Windows 8 with WMC on this board? I would like to use the recording LED driver from Intel but so far it has only been released for Win7. I used Orca to modify the .msi for Windows 8 and it installed correctly, but so far nothing lights up when recording. The LED is attached to Prog_LED and Ground pins (1&2).
post #109 of 122 Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The DQ77KB is definitely 19V 7.4mm * 5.0mm. I shipped a 90W 19V adapter with a case for a customer using that board and it's what works/fits..

post #110 of 122 Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 14
Just get a 12VDC-120VAC inverter with good efficiency. There must be a 12VDC-20VDC inverter but need some looking.
post #111 of 122 Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM

I got the board today and tried running with 15V, and it did NOT work.
So obviously, the first version of the specs were simply wrong, and the board is indeed 19V only.

Thanks for your advice!

Georg
post #112 of 122 Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Anyone have a red LED glow at the back of their green output jack on the back of the DQ77KB ?

Someone asked this on another forum but i can't check as my board is in bits until my new CPU arrives.
post #113 of 122 Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Anyone have a red LED glow at the back of their green output jack on the back of the DQ77KB ?

See here: http://communities.intel.com/thread/31518
Quote:
Regret to inform you that Dan_Intel is misinformed. This is not his fault; the Technical Specifications document (3rd revision) does not have complete information on the audio capabilities of this board.

In fact, the DQ77KB does support S/PDIF audio output. The green speaker jack on the back of the board is a dual-function jack. In addition to serving as a 1/8-inch stereo analog audio jack, it is ALSO a Mini-TOSLINK plug.

You can see this for yourself by installing the latest Realtek Audio driver from Intel's website, selecting "Realtek Digital Audio" as your default playback device, and observing the red glow coming from this jack.

You will need a Mini-TOSLINK to normal TOSLINK adapter plug (these cost only a few dollars at Amazon or Fry's), or an optical audio cable that has a mini plug on one end and a normal plug on the other. Of course, you will also need an audio or home theater receiver that supports optical inputs.

I have verified that the S/PDIF output on the DQ77KB can produce 2-channel PCM and 5-channel Dolby Digital and DTS at 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz, with either 16- or 24-bit resolution. My Denon receiver does not support 192 kHz samples, so I haven't verified that.

As you probably know, S/PDIF does not support the newer Blu-Ray audio formats like Dolby HD, nor does it support more than 2 channels of PCM. This is a limitation of S/PDIF itself, not the board.

So it appears multi-channel digital output via S/PDIF is available on this board.
post #114 of 122 Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM

@Piglover

Yeah i did notice he resolved what was causing it.

He has posted that you have not replied to his Private Messages , Should i let him know you are on here and have been reading his posts on the other forum?
post #115 of 122 Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Revive! (this thread that is) smile.gif Does anyone know the steps/settings to enable wake from S5 on this board? I have installed the HDPlex Internal IR Receiver and all remote functions work great in Win 8 Media Center but getting the system to power on via remote has not worked. This seems like a board that would support such a feature. Anyone tried this?

These are the setting I have in bios power menu:

The custom solutions header has duplicated pwr, 3.3V, and 5.5 on board but I am currently just using the normal power header with IR Receiver for testing.

post #116 of 122 Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglover View Post

See here: http://communities.intel.com/thread/31518
So it appears multi-channel digital output via S/PDIF is available on this board.
Does anybody know if it's possible enable/use the optical S/PDIF output under Linux (specifically, Ubuntu 12.10)? "aplay -l" doesn't list it under its device list, just the analog output and the 2 HDMI outputs (on the HDMI and DisplayPort jacks):
Code:
htpc:~> aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1                                                   
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                        
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]              
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]              

Advice, tips, etc. appreciated...
post #117 of 122 Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhobbyist View Post

Question, is anyone running Windows 8 with WMC on this board? I would like to use the recording LED driver from Intel but so far it has only been released for Win7. I used Orca to modify the .msi for Windows 8 and it installed correctly, but so far nothing lights up when recording. The LED is attached to Prog_LED and Ground pins (1&2).

Hiya, I just came back to this thread when searching for another solution (what are the odds...) and saw your question. I'm about to try getting the Recording LED light working under Win8 as well, so thanks for your info about 'Orca' - I'll have a read up on that.

I just wanted to add that I think the pins to use are pin 1 (Prog_LED) for the + LED wire and pin 5 (+3.3V) for the - LED wire, in case you haven't worked that out already. I haven't tried this yet myself, but that was what was mentioned on a Missing Remote review of the case I'm using. (They were using a different driver, but I'm keen to try the Intel one first.)

Thanks again to everyone who's given me very helpful info here!
post #118 of 122 Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I am wondering if anyone has tried connecting a passive DisplayPort to DVI cable or adapter to the DisplayPort on the DQ77KB. I need a dual-monitor setup for this board but I do not have DP monitors, just HDMI and DVI available.

I am hoping the DQ77KB can output a DVI signal over DisplayPort. I haven't found an answer via Google for this question. It seems the standard answer at the Intel forums is "we didn't test that so it's not officiallly supported" for just about everything so it's not very helpful.

post #119 of 122 Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

No one doing a dual-monitor setup with the DQ77KB?

post #120 of 122 Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 PM

Liked: 16
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page