post #31 of 38 Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

DTS-HD acts like jim2100 described, it contains a "core" track and the HD part is the "difference" from the core to the full lossless part. You can also store it in a MKV exactly like this.

If it can be stored in an MKV as a single stream, why does MakeMKV always create two streams when I select both the DTS-HD lossless and core tracks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I Recognize that this is an old thread but I'm going to ask some dumb questions anyways.

While reading through the Bacon Race Theater construction thread, I read damelon make reference to "MakeMKV" as his ripper of choice for movies, so I gave it a shot. Just played it on my computer and it looks fabulous but it will take some time to transfer this monstrosity over the network so in the meantime I have questions.

1) Damelon said his rips were about 8GB totally uncompressed (I'm not sure MakeMKV gives another option) - my rip of The Matrix was 18GB - did I do something wrong?

2) I read you guys referencing all these various audio types but I don't see any options in my copy to even see that. Maybe my Matrix disc just didn't provide that option? Would I see the options if the disc provided them?

3) Finally, when I first launched the mkv, VLC displayed in such a way that it didn't fill my 1080p monitor and I thought I was pretty damn sure that the original source was 1080 - I tried to check the file properties with Windows Explorer and got nowhere - when I blew the movie up to full screen it looked great but I probably couldn't tell with my naked eye the diff between 720 uncompressed and 1080 uncompressed, especially on my 23" monitor.

4) At two points during the big gunfight sequence, the movie "tripped", dropped frames and started "freckling" in and out - now I have a quad core PC w 4GB of RAM - what in the world could cause the movie to trip like that? It was all on my local SATA hard drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 38 Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Liked: 16
post #34 of 38 Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

2) After the disc is decrypted, MakeMKV will show all the video and audio streams present. Some movies have one audio track, others will have several.

So I just have one file - how would I access the other audio streams? I did a backup the first time and it generated a folder with a ton of files in it but I had no clue what to do with that so the next time, I selected the two largest titles (not sure why it was on their twice) and did MKV rips of both.

Is there anyway to force the subtitles off?

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 38 Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Prior to creating the MKV, expand the selection by clicking the little arrow to the left of the decoded section. This will show video, audio and subtitles on the disk, and allow you to de-select those you don't want.

Download the freeware program mediainfo. This provides details of everything in the file.

Finally mkvmerge will give you more choices for playback.

post #36 of 38 Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

...clicking the little arrow to the left of the decoded section.

ah! awesome! thanks.

speaking of playback and somewhat off topic - what devices will play these files on my TV? My dlna on my TV would play it at about 1 frame per second. My Sony HTIB just gave me the finger (which I thought was a bit rude), and I googled my xbox 360 and it said no luck there.

I read WD TV might do it? Seems like you would need some pretty good heavy lifting machine to process that level of bandwidth.

post #37 of 38 Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Liked: 16
post #38 of 38 Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 813

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page