Looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse/remote for surfing on my TV.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dunno if this is the right forum but I would assume so.

I have a PC and a nice big tv and I want to occasionally while I watch tv, switch over and say, check my email, look up something on youtube, imdb or somewhere else online.

I don't plan on writing long letters this way but not sure what keyboard size to get.

I've been recommended one of those with touchpad but then someone said that they're hard
to scroll with and I DO a lot of scrolling.

I have wide hands with semi fat fingers so either something big enough that I can type on
or something small enough that I can hold like a candy bar phone and type with my thumbs.

Distance to my computer is prolly less than 15 feet.

I watch movies and stuff through my wd tv live plus so I'm not going to stream anything or go online and
watch movies so no need for dedicated buttons for media player or anything which I don't like anyway.

Just surfing, typing the occasional search phrase or password in and then mouse control.

I would appreciate links if possible.

Update! Since I've decided that a backlit keyboard is probably a must for me as my room's pretty
dark and my eyes are pretty crummy, let's just concentrate on units that DO have backlit keyboards.

Thanks

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
I like the lenovo small one, but the keys are tiny, not for typing all day. I have a full-sized Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that I use on the desktop. Range would be the only issue, but it has a pod that plugs into the computer - so depending on how you are set up if you could get the USB cable to within 5 to 8 feet of where you use the keyboard then it would work.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I use the Rii N7 Touch and my hands are probably as you describe. I've been using this keyboard for over a year for exactly the tasks you're talking about and the occassional maintainence things that cannot be done remotely. It works even through a wood cabinet door.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
If you have an iPad or similar, the MobileMouse app is better by far than any wireless keyboard/mouse I've ever used. And it's only $2. Since it's wi-fi there are no range issues, you can wake your PC with it, and the controls automatically change with the context of the PC app you're running. It's pretty amazing.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 14
If you want larger KB and not a separate mouse, the HP mini wireless KB is pretty compact but still easy to type. It has a built-in optical pointing device similar to recent BB phones.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

I like the lenovo small one, but the keys are tiny, not for typing all day. I have a full-sized Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that I use on the desktop. Range would be the only issue, but it has a pod that plugs into the computer - so depending on how you are set up if you could get the USB cable to within 5 to 8 feet of where you use the keyboard then it would work.

I had never seen this one. Looks cool but not sure I could type on it without too much trouble.

Thanks
post #7 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

If you want larger KB and not a separate mouse, the HP mini wireless KB is pretty compact but still easy to type. It has a built-in optical pointing device similar to recent BB phones.

Found it but didn't find any pointing device and not mentioned on the HP site either...please advise.

Thanks
post #8 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If you have an iPad or similar, the MobileMouse app is better by far than any wireless keyboard/mouse I've ever used. And it's only $2. Since it's wi-fi there are no range issues, you can wake your PC with it, and the controls automatically change with the context of the PC app you're running. It's pretty amazing.

Well, I have an android phone but that would mean keeping it on all the time and I don't so that's a no go and typing on it for me is a pain. Again, fat fingers...

Thanks
post #9 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I use the Rii N7 Touch and my hands are probably as you describe. I've been using this keyboard for over a year for exactly the tasks you're talking about and the occassional maintainence things that cannot be done remotely. It works even through a wood cabinet door.

Sammy, this is probably the best solution I've seen apart from possibly the Logitech 400.

Have you had problems with the split keyboard? Ie, looking for a key that's on the other side so to speak?

I'm a little scared of the small size though.

Also, I just looked at a review of it on youtube and the kid that did the review was having to swipe many times on the touchpad
just to move the mouse around. I know I can adjust this on the computer but that would mess it up for my regular mouse.
Is this the same for you and is there a solution for this?

Thanks
post #10 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 09:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post

Found it but didn't find any pointing device and not mentioned on the HP site either...please advise.
Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Wireless-Keyboard-LK752AA-ABL/dp/B004WK3G50/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3KGNLL200UCI2&s=electronics&qid=1339906663&sr=1-2
They are the two round buttons at the left and right top corners. Right button is also an optical pointing device as you slide your thumb across it.

I also have the Lenovo mini keyboard remote. It has a similar optical pointing device.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, so how you do click or left and right click?

Found a few other options…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eRWqyn8_La0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrqUxtEefmk
post #12 of 25 Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Sammy, this is probably the best solution I've seen apart from possibly the Logitech 400.
Have you had problems with the split keyboard? Ie, looking for a key that's on the other side so to speak?
I'm a little scared of the small size though.
Also, I just looked at a review of it on youtube and the kid that did the review was having to swipe many times on the touchpad
just to move the mouse around. I know I can adjust this on the computer but that would mess it up for my regular mouse.
Is this the same for you and is there a solution for this?
Thanks

Iam typing this from the N7 right now. Tne keyboard is very natural for me and mimics the slide out on my android. The swipe speed is adjustable with the FnSpacebar combo. Having he touchpad in the center is a bit cumbersome but it puts the keys in a good position. I've also learned that holding your left index finger along the top blocks the RF signal.

post #13 of 25 Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I may still give this a try but found a good deal on the hawking thing that I posted above so we'll see. I kinda liked the idea of the whole thing being a touchpad instead of something small.

Good to hear that they've made the swipe speed adjustable. I saw the video and was scared that they didn't.

Thanks again

George
post #14 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, what are the options if I get a cheap tablet to do this and what apps are available?

Is there one where I can custom make my own remote control layout and map the codes for the buttons to it
and is there a cheapo tablet with a good screen that has an instant on?

How would it control my pc though?

Thanks

GEorge
post #15 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Best available for htpc use. Backlit and has a scrollbar below the optical button. You can find it on sale for ~$35 from lenovo.com every couple of weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Enhanced-Multimedia-Keyboard-57Y6678/dp/B005L2NTTQ

post #16 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, saw that one. Ordered another one which should be here in a week so we'll see. I'll be back with my opinion about the other model.

Thanks
post #17 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

I was going to suggest just getting a tablet and doing everything on it. Leave the PC for media use. Check your email and browse the web on the tablet.

post #18 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, but how do I control the PC with it? Mouse, remotes and browser if I want to watch stuff on the TV? I really don't want to do much on the little tablet screen as I have $hitty eyesight.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, what are the options if I get a cheap tablet to do this and what apps are available?
Is there one where I can custom make my own remote control layout and map the codes for the buttons to it
and is there a cheapo tablet with a good screen that has an instant on?
How would it control my pc though?
Thanks
GEorge
Any iOS or Android device: iPod, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy tablet, any Droid phone.

It's just a touchpad and keyboard, not a remote screen display. I don't even look at it unless I'm typing. Check it out HERE and you'll understand what I'm talking about. The advantage is it's cheap and the range and response are excellent, unlike hardware wireless keyboards/mice. As far as I know, there's no custom layout capability per se, but the included ones work very well and switch automatically depending on the app running on the PC. For example if you open a browser, you get browser controls, and if you open media center you get playback controls. It handles task switching, hot keys, app launching, etc.. If you want to use it as a universal remote for your TV and other devices, you need a different app and more hardware (iRule, RedEye, etc.). I don't do that. I just use the touchpad/keyboard aspect for my PC and use a normal universal remote for everything else.

I've tried every wireless keyboard/mouse solution under the sun, including the ones posted. They all pale in comparison to MobileMouse (or similar app).

I understand about the difficulty of using a small screen for typing. I have the same problem. But I just don't do that much typing on mine. Even so, what little typing I do works well because you can make the keyboard full screen. A full size keyboard is the best solution, but takes up a lot of space and eats batteries. So you have to compromise. So the smartphone works for me. When I'm not around, the family just uses the same app on the iPad. I've designed my system so I don't actually use the PC very much. I use media extenders and normal remotes for everything except web surfing.
post #20 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry but I just don't get it frown.gif

Well, I've got one remote on the way so we'll see how it works and if it's decent, I should be good with that.

Still, I'm always up for learning more stuff (or try to anyway) so by all means, keep the comments coming
and of course, there might be someone that might be interested in the remote conversation.

Thanks

GEorge
post #22 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I have some version of just about every device you've linked sitting in my closet gathering dust. Most of them are crap or way too expensive. Poor range, poor accuracy, poor battery life, flakey keys. I've been down this road. Once you use those then compare them to the smartphone app, you'll get it. Did you check out the MobileMouse site and demo vid?
post #23 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I took a quick look but again, if I did it on my phone, it means i have to have the damn thing on all the time and I don't.
I never really make calls from it and only bring it when I go out driving which is seldom.
Also, my eyes are crap and I wouldn't be able to see half of the stuff.

The other option is a tablet but I'm not even sure if I could get it up and running which means I would be sitting
there with yet another device I'm not using and like you, I have plenty frown.gif

Well, the one I ordered should be here within a week and my updated computer arrives tomorrow
so it'll be a few days before anything will happen anyway so I'll report back what I think about that remote, if you're interested.
I HOPE it works out because I am tired of having to look for stuff online instead of being able to try something out like you could
back in the OLD days frown.gif

Mind you, I bought a vacuum cleaner the other day and I SHOULD have bought that one online. Would have saved me money and
having to deal with the greedy bastard that sold it to me smile.gif

ANyway, here's the one I ordered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eRWqyn8_La0
post #24 of 25 Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Again, I can't recommend the Lenovo backlit enough. It's cheap, and it works.
post #25 of 25 Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

THanks, I may yet wind up with one smile.gif\
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page