WMC recording: serious issues with pixelations - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
also, in terms of the suggestions about overheating, I run intel's epu 4 engine power saving so usually the PC is in sleep before it comes on to record the shows so it should be cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasdom View Post

well, problem still exists even after reformatting. I am tempted now to buy a new tuner. It will be great to be able to figure out if that is the issue before plopping down the cash.
Edit: something is very wrong. For the first time since the issue started, I had two programs set to record at the same time. Both recorded, one had the pixelation issue 20 mins in. I go to check the other one (60mins) and it did not play. I go into my file browser and it shows the program time to be 1hr 6 mins but the file size is 512K.

Probably means it couldn't get a signal for the other program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasdom View Post

also, in terms of the suggestions about overheating, I run intel's epu 4 engine power saving so usually the PC is in sleep before it comes on to record the shows so it should be cool

The tuner card itself can overheat. I had an issue with a Hauppauge HVR-950 USB tuner dongle wherein it would overheat after being in use for 30 minutes or so and would cause massive pixelation very similar to what you're describing. Letting the dongle cool down for a few minutes solves the pixelation issue until the dongle overheats again after another 30 minutes. I think in this case, replacing the tuner would be the best recourse. I've had pretty good luck with the HDHomeRun.
post #33 of 35 Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Seems like the problem was the tuner. purchased the hd home runner and so far no issues. thanks all.
post #34 of 35 Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 AM

I came her looking for answers but I see the same ole advise. I have had USB Hybrid Tuners, card tuners and different models of Hauppauge and Aver models (the only ones I found in stores nearby - within 30 miles) and the same thing always happens. First the tuner is to blame then it must be my hardware. I have used tuners since about 2003 (I think) they serve the purpose in a pinch. With a little planning, I get my favorite TV shows by other means while I watch others live, direct to TV feed.

Windows media recordings have always been over-bloated in size and poor in quality. Best way I can describe it would be like recording it in a 480i format and then exploding it to a 1080P big screen TV. I am able to watch 720P/H264/AAC3 MP4 recordings that are 234 MB with nearly crystal clarity and no pixelation while Windows' Media files are 2.5 - 4 GB for each one hour show.

I wish Microsoft would step up to the plate and say : <<My bad.. here's how you fix this>>
post #35 of 35 Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicWorks View Post

I came her looking for answers but I see the same ole advise. I have had USB Hybrid Tuners, card tuners and different models of Hauppauge and Aver models (the only ones I found in stores nearby - within 30 miles) and the same thing always happens. First the tuner is to blame then it must be my hardware. I have used tuners since about 2003 (I think) they serve the purpose in a pinch. With a little planning, I get my favorite TV shows by other means while I watch others live, direct to TV feed.
Windows media recordings have always been over-bloated in size and poor in quality. Best way I can describe it would be like recording it in a 480i format and then exploding it to a 1080P big screen TV. I am able to watch 720P/H264/AAC3 MP4 recordings that are 234 MB with nearly crystal clarity and no pixelation while Windows' Media files are 2.5 - 4 GB for each one hour show.
I wish Microsoft would step up to the plate and say : <<My bad.. here's how you fix this>>
Yes they are 2.5 - 4 GB for each one hour show. Some even bigger. At least mine are because they are a bit for bit copy of the original stream. HiDef TV is that big. This of course presumes that you are using an ATSC or QAM tuner and an appropriate HD source. You've got some other problem if your WMC files look different than the source.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page