WMC recording: serious issues with pixelations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an HTPC that I have been using for the past year and a half running WMC. In the past, every now and then recordings will start getting random severe pixelations in the middle rendering it unwatchable. Recently however, it is very frequent. Almost all my recordings start getting these pixelations about 15mins into the recording. Interesting thing is that if I am watching an in-progress recording and the pixelations happen, they go away when I stop watching the recording and switch to live TV of the exact same channel. I do not know that to do.

The only recent updates was to CCC driver update to the video card. I have an AMD HD-5670 card. I have 4GB of RAM and running Win7 with WMC. It is installed on a 60Gig SSD and I record onto a 500G western digital drive in the case. The recordings get transferred onto a NAS weekly. I have run several diagnostics using the built in Win7 HD tools as well as tools from WB. All report no issues. Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this will be appreciated. I mostly watch recorded broadcasts on the HTPC so this is very problematic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What tuner model?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

avermedia duet
Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you get the driver update from Avernmedia or from MS? If Winupdate then get the latest from Avermedia. Winupdate updates are often out of date ad/or incomnpatible with other updates on your system.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly do not remember so I checked the driver details. The date on it was April 2009 and the date on the latest driver from avermedia was may 2009. So I installed the one from avermedia. Not sure if that is what was causing the issue but I will find out soon enough.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasdom View Post

I honestly do not remember so I checked the driver details. The date on it was April 2009 and the date on the latest driver from avermedia was may 2009. So I installed the one from avermedia. Not sure if that is what was causing the issue but I will find out soon enough.

I just purchased & installed an Avermedia Duet & compared the drivers on their enclosed CD with those on their website. Win 7 & Vista 32 bit appeared to be the same and Win 7 & Vista 64 bit appeared to be the same. And all had the same date of May 2009, except Win 7 64 bit on the disc was June 2009, IIRC. However both Win 7 64 bit ones were the same file size and I used the one from the disc. This is a new system & so far everything is OK.

I guess they have not updated the drivers in 3 years.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well, problem still exists. Only other thing I can think of are the ATI drivers. How do i rollback to maybe about 5 versions earlier? It is currently running the latest version
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Check your antenna. they tend to walk themselves on the mast due to wind and change position. It sounds like you have a signal strength issue.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you play the same recording twice does the pixelation happen at the same times which would mean that the dropped frames causing the pixelation were also not recorded?
Do you have any other disk activity occuring with the disk when playing disk recordings?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM

After actually reading what you said, try this, since it's actually always recording live TV to the buffer go to live TV and pause it for 4 or 5 minutes then hit play. If it pixelates somethings happening to data as it's written to the drive. The fact that live TV is okay means the tuner is receiving and sending the mpeg2 data to the video processor fine. Are you using an AV rated drive? it could be an issue. I was having weird glitches and things when I was using a standard Hitachi DeskStar drive. They all went away when i switched to an AV-GP drive from Western Digital (only for media storage).
Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

If you play the same recording twice does the pixelation happen at the same times which would mean that the dropped frames causing the pixelation were also not recorded?
Yes, the dropped frames are so bad that the video is unwatchable. It pretty much just starts pixelating, then freezes on a very pixelated screen with parts of it black and that is the end of the story. Not even sound. Fast forward and nothing happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Do you have any other disk activity occuring with the disk when playing disk recordings?
There is usually nothing else going on with the computer when it happens. I used to rip blurays when watching TV and noticed that it sometimes caused a similar issue (although not as bad) and so I stopped.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post

After actually reading what you said, try this, since it's actually always recording live TV to the buffer go to live TV and pause it for 4 or 5 minutes then hit play. If it pixelates somethings happening to data as it's written to the drive. The fact that live TV is okay means the tuner is receiving and sending the mpeg2 data to the video processor fine. Are you using an AV rated drive? it could be an issue. I was having weird glitches and things when I was using a standard Hitachi DeskStar drive. They all went away when i switched to an AV-GP drive from Western Digital (only for media storage).
Pausing for a few minutes does not cause any problems. In fact, it typically happens about 30-60 mins into a recording. I am using this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320. I do not know if it is AV rated.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That drive should be fast enough for two tuners. I can record six and watch 2 for a total of eight on a 2.5" 5400RPM 1TB WD Scorpio Blue 9.5mm.

The drive may be fragment badly or failing. If possible, reformat with a larger block size.

I would look at your virus protection software. If its MSE, then add file type exceptions and location exceptions.

Last, did you introduce and LTE device into your home? I have severe pixelation when using LTE on my iPad 64GB WiFi+LTE.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

I am indeed using MSE. I will do as you suggest and also reformat with larger block size when I get the chance. I did switch to an HTC one X a few weeks ago. When the shows are recording though I am usually not at home.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 PM

If its the recording, the problem is the tuner. The video card wont affect recording. You need to figure out if the recordings themselves are bad (it sounds like it). Can you play the WTV files on another computer? Another Win7 computer should be able to play them.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is disk caching enabled?
Is direct memory acess enabled for the disk?
How much virtual memory do you have allocated?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'd say heat or signal strength is the problem.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

More info :

So today I set to record So You Think You Can Dance. I turn on my TV an hour into the recording and start playing it. Within a minute of the recording the pixelation started. I switched to live view (while the recording was still going on) and the pixelation continued. So I stopped the recording and switched to live view again. The pixelation stopped. I then started recording the same program (while watching) and it recorded and played just fine. I am more baffled than ever.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

What is your signal strength for the channel?

How hot is the tuner or your PC?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect some sort of conflict between the two disk drives. Can you move your recordings to the SSD as a test?
Are the two drives daisy chained on the same bus?
Is there any clue in the error logs after the problem occurs?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

How would you daisy chain SATA drives?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

How would you daisy chain SATA drives?

You can't. I could only guess that walford was referring to a SATA controller card where multiple SATA drives are connected to the same PCI lane
Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Correct I should have said same lane, not daisy chained.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

The SSD only has 12G free so I cannot use it for recordings. The HDs are both directly connected from the the motherboard. According to WMC my signal strengths are all strong (full green bars)
Old 06-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Have you tested your HD speeds? Given that the speed requirements are pretty low for sustained recording, it's not likely to be your hard drive(s). Try simple tests like "HD speed." I get about 100MBytes/sec on my various non-SSD drives.

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

When I've had problems like you describe, it turned out to be the tuner - either low reception, overheating, some conflict with the motherboard, or a bad power supply on my HDhomerun. It's easy to rule out the hard disks so do that first.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting average of 91.8M from HD speed. I have run a ton of tests on the HD and I think at this point it is likely to not be the problem.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasdom View Post

I am getting average of 91.8M from HD speed. I have run a ton of tests on the HD and I think at this point it is likely to not be the problem.
That's 91.8MB sequential. I believe there's a bit of a random write aspect to recording. If you can back-up data on your HDD to another drive, I highly suggest re-formatting your HDD and using 64K sectors instead of the 4K default.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, reformatted. Will give it a try and post results.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM

"When I've had problems like you describe, it turned out to be the tuner - either low reception, overheating, some conflict with the motherboard, or a bad power supply on my HDhomerun. It's easy to rule out the hard disks so do that first"

I tend to agree now that the OP has seen the issue on live TV. I originally had purchased the Duet tuner also, because it was it was cheap, and I'm cheap. I ignored all the bad reviews it got about randomly vanishing from device manager thinking "it won't happen to me"' Well, it did. so instead of wasting my time trying to save 30 bucks I bought the Hauppauge 2250 and have had zero problems since then. But in my browsing for a solution before that I found a post that indicated a PCIe bus problem as far as voltage levels went. That indicated to me a fundamentally bad design.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

well, problem still exists even after reformatting. I am tempted now to buy a new tuner. It will be great to be able to figure out if that is the issue before plopping down the cash.

Edit: something is very wrong. For the first time since the issue started, I had two programs set to record at the same time. Both recorded, one had the pixelation issue 20 mins in. I go to check the other one (60mins) and it did not play. I go into my file browser and it shows the program time to be 1hr 6 mins but the file size is 512K.