No audio when playing videos in XBMC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently set my old PC up w/ XBMC to see how it worked as an HTPC before I committed any money to new parts. Everything looks great, but I cannot get the audio to work in any videos I've tried.

Specs:
Windows 7, ATI Radeon 4850 HD with HDMI out and audio over HDMI
Realtek HDMI audio codecs
Updated Catalyst drivers
XMBC Eden RC2 (the one w/ the HD audio)

Setup:
PC ---> HDMI ---> TV (LG 42" Plasma - 42PC5D) ----> Optical Cable ----> Onkyo S3100

I can hear sounds when scrolling through menus in XBMC, but nothing within videos.

Audio Output Settings:
Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost Volume on downmix: YES
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable: YES
-receiver supports: DTS-HD Master Audio (correct?)
-receiver gets other DTS formats: reduced (core)
-Dolby Digital Plus capable: NO
-Dolby TrueHD capable: NO
-Meridian Lossless capable: NO
Audio Output: WASAPI (tried all of them, none work)

Any advice would be appreciated. I can hear audio when I play video files in VLC as well, just not XBMC.

The files I have been trying to play are HD quality TV shows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
SKooT - first things first, your not going to achieve HD Audio playback with your hardware

Neither your card or receiver support DTS-MA or TrueHD.

With that out of the way you should be able to get sound (but in the combination quoted I think its unlikely to be anything other than stereo as your TV is not capable of passing anything other than that to your receiver.

Firstly you need to make one or two alterations to your settings as quoted:

Audio Output Settings:
Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration 5.1
Boost Volume on downmix: YES
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable: YES
-receiver supports: DTS-HD Master Audio (correct?) NO
-receiver gets other DTS formats: reduced (core) YES
-Dolby Digital Plus capable: NO
-Dolby TrueHD capable: NO
-Meridian Lossless capable: NO
Audio Output: Try all options

Unless you can connect direct to your receiver by either HDMI, or optical cable from your GFX card to the receiver, your not going to get DD, or DTS either.

Try these settings and see how you get on. If still unsuccessful try changing DD and Reduced Core to NO and retry.
SKooT1027 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Steelman - Thanks very much for the reply. I was under the impression that the tv could pass through DD or DTS. For my basic cable box, I've always had it going into the TV, then optical to the receiver. My receiver is always set to one of the dolby prologic for the TV/cable box input. Looking further into that, it appears that actually takes stereo sound and creates a faux-5.1, correct? I used to have a PS3 hooked up there (moved for now to try the htpc) which had optical going directly from the PS3 to the receiver, and in turn audio was always great.

It is good to know that with my current setup I will not be able to get the sound I'm looking for. I was going to try to make this hardware work, but also looked to completely build a new htpc that would have an audio out. Looks like the latter will be the best option. My current setup does not have a optical out from the graphics card or motherboard. My receiver unfortunately does not have HDMI input, only 2 optical inputs.

Edit: I guess the other option would be adding a sound card with an optical out. Also, apparently my motherboard does have a Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out port. I looked and didn't see it. I was looking for a toslink though, didn't realize this second style existed.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Bang on about the faux 5.1.

Yeah had a quick look at the spec sheet of the receiver and connection wise its quite limited.

As far as I know optical ports are all alike - what MB do you have?

Achieving your goal of surround sound shouldn't be too costly, unless you want to have the option of HD Audio, in which case in addition to building your HTPC, you would also required to update your receiver, which can bitstream with at least 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output (to TV), something you may not wish to consider at this time. The alternative is a card with optical output, which limits playback to DD and DTS.
SKooT1027 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

My current build has an Asus P5K Pro motherboard (link). I just ordered a coaxial spdif cable from newegg since I needed a couple other items as well, so that should fix the issue with passing audio through the TV. I'm okay without the HD Audio. I'll just be glad to have this up and running properly.

A questions regarding DD and DTS. Will I have an option as to which to use when playing shows/movies or will the file be encoded to only support one? Is one better than the other?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKooT1027 View Post

My current build has an Asus P5K Pro motherboard (link). I just ordered a coaxial spdif cable from newegg since I needed a couple other items as well, so that should fix the issue with passing audio through the TV. I'm okay without the HD Audio. I'll just be glad to have this up and running properly.
A questions regarding DD and DTS. Will I have an option as to which to use when playing shows/movies or will the file be encoded to only support one? Is one better than the other?
Just to clarify that using that cable will only cure the problem with a direct connection from the MB to the receiver - bypassing the TV totally (though you should continue to use the HDMI cable to the TV for video.

Likelihood is that discs wlll be encoded with one or the other. I'm loathe to recommend one to be better than the other (DD or DTS), I have difficulty distinguishing them apart, The only difference I have found is that DTS files are larger, but whether that equates to more quality is in my opinion subjective.
SKooT1027 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good. I should have the new cord tomorrow so I can see how it works. Tonight I may try switching it to stereo just to see how that goes.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page