Recommend an affordable processor for Blue Ray Encoding. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm going with a BitFenix Shinobi case and an Antec HGC 620M PSU. If I don't need modular, please advise as I can save a few more $$$ and repurpose them towards a faster CPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

I'm going with a BitFenix Shinobi case and an Antec HGC 620M PSU. If I don't need modular, please advise as I can save a few more $$$ and repurpose them towards a faster CPU.

Two issues. First, unless you're planning on using some really top end gaming video card, it looks like you're using more power supply than you possibly need. And with power supplies, that's not just a matter of money, it's a matter of efficiency. When your system is running along using less than 25% of capacity, it's not going to operate efficiently at all. A 400w psu would probably be plenty, but even if you want excess, a 500 would be way more than enough, and there are a lot of great choices. You might list your entire system so we'd have a better idea what your actual requirements are. (if you're using some online PSU calculator, they almost always produce grossly inflated numbers). Even if you wanted modular, you could get a SeaSonic M12II 520 or a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W (made by Seasonic) for a lot less than you're paying for that Antec. That Antec is also made by Seasonic.

Second, I've never built in that case, but given it's size, I can't imagine that you need a modular power supply. It certainly doesn't look like it from the pictures in the Anandtech review of that case where they used a Silverstone Strider 750W which is HUGE (about 7 inches deep), and, while that psu is modular, it looks to me like they had plenty of room for wires with no airflow issues. Personally, if it was me, I doubt if I'd worry about a modular psu. Some people like them for the looks; for some cases that lack space for extra wires they're worthwhile, but it doesn't look to me like you need it.

post #33 of 37 Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Ok, so I went with 3550 Ivy Bridge CPU. I needed to shift a few $$ of the budget towards the PSU. Didn't realize that 4HDDs would require so much juice? Also with all that's going on in the case, my son says go modular on the PSU as it will allow for a cleaner install.

Huh? During start-up, 4 HDDs would use at most around 120W (at 30W per drive, some green 3.5" drives only use 10~15W). During actual operation, power consumption would probably be around 4W per drive. You seriously don't need a massive power supply. Even 300W would do (and would probably be more efficient). I know I mentioned 500W in the generic parts list I posted but I think that's mostly because I saw a SeaSonic 500W on sale for $50.
post #34 of 37 Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Huh? During start-up, 4 HDDs would use at most around 120W (at 30W per drive, some green 3.5" drives only use 10~15W). During actual operation, power consumption would probably be around 4W per drive. You seriously don't need a massive power supply. Even 300W would do (and would probably be more efficient). I know I mentioned 500W in the generic parts list I posted but I think that's mostly because I saw a SeaSonic 500W on sale for $50.

I think even that peak is about 40W too high. More like 20W or less each even at startup, and during use, even high use, less than 10W. See, for example:

post #35 of 37 Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I think even that peak is about 40W too high. More like 20W or less each even at startup, and during use, even high use, less than 10W.

That's why I said at most. I've seen reviews for green drives that reached 25W during start-up so I figure 30W would be more than enough buffer. I also believe I mentioned there were green drives that only use 10~15W during start-up (Western Digital, I think).
post #36 of 37 Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
See......this is why I came here in the first place. Thanx. No video card, integrated graphics is all that's needed. So a 400w standard PS is where I'll look which should throw a few $$$ back to the CPU.

This thing will be on 24/7 so efficiency is a priority. Thanx for the tips!biggrin.gif
post #37 of 37 Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You do want a decent 80Plus PSU. Can't go wrong with SeaSonic. Haven't kept up with models from other manufacturers so don't know what else to recommend.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page